In face of coming budget cuts, U.S. f...

In face of coming budget cuts, U.S. frees illegal immigrants from custody

There are 93 comments on the News Observer story from Feb 25, 2013, titled In face of coming budget cuts, U.S. frees illegal immigrants from custody. In it, News Observer reports that:

U.S. Immigration Customs and Enforcement confirmed the release of some illegal immigrants Monday night but would not say how many or from which detention centers.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at News Observer.

fritobandito

San Diego, CA

#62 Mar 1, 2013
Memo From Turner wrote:
<quoted text>
One of us has no idea what "they are entitled to". See the Welfare Reform Act of 1996. The act explicitly disqualified illegal immigrants from nearly all means-tested government programs including food stamps, housing assistance, Medicaid and Medicare-funded hospitalization. The only services that undocumented people can get is emergency medical care. Of course they receive a bill for the emergency medical care.
The act actually discriminates against lawful permanent residents, in that they have to wait for verification of their status, before any assistance can be given. I'm surprised that the ACLU or civil rights attorneys haven't honed in on that one.
fritobandito

San Diego, CA

#63 Mar 1, 2013
Quirky wrote:
<quoted text>
I am right about this one you Moron!
Yeah, you're right that this time you picked a Thunderbird bottle, rather than a Southern Comfort one from the liquor store, you sot!

“A Nation of Legal Immigrants”

Level 8

Since: Nov 07

Lake City Florida,/ Nebraska

#64 Mar 1, 2013
Memo From Turner wrote:
<quoted text>
One of us has no idea what "they are entitled to". See the Welfare Reform Act of 1996. The act explicitly disqualified illegal immigrants from nearly all means-tested government programs including food stamps, housing assistance, Medicaid and Medicare-funded hospitalization. The only services that undocumented people can get is emergency medical care. Of course they receive a bill for the emergency medical care.
With "Anchor" babies they can get Section 8 Housing and Food Stamps.

Reaching Low-Income Hispanics With Nutrition Assistance

The Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants
and Children (WIC) provides a combination of food assistance, nutrition education, and easier access to health care for pregnant, breastfeeding, and postpartum women, infants, and children up to the age of five years. Eligible persons must be financially needy and at nutritional risk. WIC benefits usually take the form of vouchers or checks that may be redeemed for specific food types.

In FY 2006, USDA spent nearly $5.1 billion to serve about 8.2 million WIC participants.

Hispanics represent the largest racial/ethnic group in the WIC Program. In 2004, about 39 percent of those enrolled in WIC were of Hispanic origin. Approximately 3/4 of the Hispanic infants born in the United States participate in WIC.

http://www.fns.usda.gov/cga/factsheets/reachi...
Memo From Turner

Bellmore, NY

#65 Mar 1, 2013
Republican Honey wrote:
<quoted text>
However, the website, WelcometoUSA.gov , stated,“Depending on your immigration status, length of time in the United States, and income, you may be eligible for some federal benefit programs.
“Government assistance programs can be critically important to the well-being of some immigrants and their families. Frequently, however, there is a lack of information about how to access such benefits. Benefit programs can be complicated and you may be given misleading information about how they operate,” the website added.
The website maintained by DHS goes on to list links to information for immigrants in both English and Spanish for information on Medicaid; Medicare; food stamps; Social Security; Temporary Assistance for Needy Families, which is the program that replaced Aid for Families with Dependent Children after the 1996 welfare reform legislation; and benefits for immigrant survivors of domestic violence.
“Federal law prohibits the granting of visas to those likely to be welfare reliant, yet DHS actively promotes these benefits to millions of new arrivals every year,” Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-Ala.), ranking member of the Senate Budget Committee, said in a statement.“DHS knows this, which is perhaps why they refuse to comply with an oversight request on this very issue from the Ranking Members of four Senate Committees.”
“It is a long-held principle of immigration that those seeking a life in America are expected to be able to care of themselves financially and contribute to the financial health of the nation,” Sessions continued.
“The Administration’s actions show this principle is no longer in effect. Encouraging self-sufficiency must be a bedrock for our immigration policy, with the goal of reducing poverty, strengthening the family, and promoting our economic values,” he said.
- See more at: http://cnsnews.com/news/article/dhs-promotes-...
Thank you for confirming what I said.

As the very first line of your post says "Depending on your immigration status, length of time in the United States, and income, you may be eligible for some federal benefit programs".

Obviously the "depending on your immigration status" bars anymore who does not have legal status. It also bars a lot of people who do have legal status too.

It is always amazing to see how many people on these boards blur the line between legal and illegal when it suits them. I am glad to see that you are above that type of thing.

Level 5

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#66 Mar 1, 2013
fritobandito wrote:
<quoted text>
Our government makes assistance an option. No one, including the government, is putting a gun to anyone's head to take it. If it's there, it's because policy makers of your vintage screwed up and created Great Depressions that necessitated some kind of Keynesian intervention. Does the name Herbert Hoover ring a bell?
They may not put a gun to anyone's head, but they sure do encourage it. Policy makers of my vintage???? LOL I wasn't around in the 30's or the 40's.

Level 5

Location hidden

#67 Mar 1, 2013
Memo From Turner wrote:
<quoted text>
As the very first line of your post says "Depending on your immigration status, length of time in the United States, and income, you may be eligible for some federal benefit programs".
Obviously the "depending on your immigration status" bars anymore who does not have legal status. It also bars a lot of people who do have legal status too.
It is always amazing to see how many people on these boards blur the line between legal and illegal when it suits them. I am glad to see that you are above that type of thing.
If you would read my initial response regarding this matter, you will see I did not designate illegal immigrants. I was referring to legal immigrants as I had assumed you were. You can see from the site I provided in my other post that clearly provides information which encourages new "legal" immigrants to obtain benefits.
----------

However, the website, WelcometoUSA.gov , stated,“Depending on your immigration status, length of time in the United States, and income, you may be eligible for some federal benefit programs.
“Government assistance programs can be critically important to the well-being of some immigrants and their families. Frequently, however, there is a lack of information about how to access such benefits. Benefit programs can be complicated and you may be given misleading information about how they operate,” the website added.
http://cnsnews.com/news/article/dhs-promotes -...
Memo From Turner

Bellmore, NY

#68 Mar 1, 2013
Republican Honey wrote:
<quoted text>
If you would read my initial response regarding this matter, you will see I did not designate illegal immigrants. I was referring to legal immigrants as I had assumed you were. You can see from the site I provided in my other post that clearly provides information which encourages new "legal" immigrants to obtain benefits.
----------
The topic was whether or not illegal immigrants were allowed to collect welfare. I said they were not and you responded by saying:

"You obviously have no idea what they are entitled to and what they receive. Welfare, food stamps, medicaid, child care, Section 8 housing, etc., etc."

Apparently you posted to the wrong board by mistake.

I accept your apology.
fritobandito

San Diego, CA

#69 Mar 1, 2013
Republican Honey wrote:
<quoted text>
They may not put a gun to anyone's head, but they sure do encourage it. Policy makers of my vintage???? LOL I wasn't around in the 30's or the 40's.
... but aren't you a Republican Honey? No one gets rich off assistance, so get off the soap box and get credible.

Why is it that you Republicans always push the disassociate button when one of your own screws up royally? Herbert Hoover is in historical context a recent part of your evolution as a party. Deal with it. You guys will have no future if you don't start changing your tune and stop insulting those you need to win.
fritobandito

San Diego, CA

#70 Mar 1, 2013
Republican Honey wrote:
<quoted text>
----------
Yeah, you "ASSumed." That's why you guys lose. Now, explain why people like you also have a knack for wanting to reduce people who disagree with you to an alien status?
Anonymous

Wilmette, IL

#71 Mar 1, 2013
FritoBandito is here, everybody run,,,, he is armed !!!

Level 8

#72 Mar 2, 2013
fritobandito wrote:
<quoted text>

Our government makes assistance an option. No one, including the government, is putting a gun to anyone's head to take it.
You don't have to put a gun to the head of an illegal alien to take
it!

That's why they have those "Anchor" babies.

Illegal Alien With 10 US Born Kids, Leaving Arizona Due To SB 1070

&fe ature=related

Level 8

#73 Mar 2, 2013
Memo From Turner wrote:
<quoted text>
Elephant hiding in the corner.

Social Security Agreement Released After 3 Year FOIA Battle; Mexican Illegals Could Get Billions of Social Security Dollars.

WASHINGTON, Jan. 4 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/-- After numerous refusals over three and a half years, the Social Security Administration (SSA) has released the first known public copy of the U.S.-Mexico Social Security Totalization Agreement.

The government made the disclosure in response to lawsuits filed under the Freedom of Information Act by TREA Senior Citizens League, a 1.2 million member nonpartisan seniors advocacy group.

The Totalization Agreement could allow millions of illegal Mexican workers to draw billions of dollars from the U.S. Social Security Trust Fund.

A loophole in current Social Security law could allow millions of today's Mexican workers to eventually collect billions of dollars worth of Social Security benefits for earnings under fraudulent or "non-work authorized" Social Security numbers, putting huge new pressures on the Social Security Trust Fund.

Read rest of story below:

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/U.S.-Mexico+Soc...
freebird

Long Beach, CA

#74 Mar 2, 2013
This is the governments mentality. Let's say I'm expecting a $1.00 raise at work, but only receive a $.75 raise. Is it really a cut, or did I get less money than I was expecting. I still got a raise and make more money than before.

Level 5

Location hidden

#75 Mar 2, 2013
fritobandito wrote:
<quoted text>
... but aren't you a Republican Honey? No one gets rich off assistance, so get off the soap box and get credible.
Why is it that you Republicans always push the disassociate button when one of your own screws up royally? Herbert Hoover is in historical context a recent part of your evolution as a party. Deal with it. You guys will have no future if you don't start changing your tune and stop insulting those you need to win.
Yes, I am a Republican and very proud of it. They may not get rich from receiving government benefits, but many are happy to just get "along" with it and our tax dollars pay for it.

Who is disassociating and who have we insulted?

Level 5

Location hidden

#76 Mar 2, 2013
Memo From Turner wrote:
<quoted text>
The topic was whether or not illegal immigrants were allowed to collect welfare. I said they were not and you responded by saying:
"You obviously have no idea what they are entitled to and what they receive. Welfare, food stamps, medicaid, child care, Section 8 housing, etc., etc."
I accept your apology.
Your comment did not indicate anything about "illegal immigrants".
----------

Memo From Turner wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes Teddy, it is a brilliant scam. Walk across a desert, risk arrest or murder to come here and "pump out an anchor baby" so they can run down and sign the kid up for food stamps.
Wow. They can get up to $4 a day. That easily provides them with enough money to cover the cost of feeding, clothing and raising a child and still leaves them enough to live in luxury without having to work. What a sweet deal.
----------

I accept YOUR apology.
Memo From Turner

Bellmore, NY

#77 Mar 2, 2013
Republican Honey wrote:
<quoted text>
Your comment did not indicate anything about "illegal immigrants".
----------
Memo From Turner wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes Teddy, it is a brilliant scam. Walk across a desert, risk arrest or murder to come here and "pump out an anchor baby" so they can run down and sign the kid up for food stamps.
Wow. They can get up to $4 a day. That easily provides them with enough money to cover the cost of feeding, clothing and raising a child and still leaves them enough to live in luxury without having to work. What a sweet deal.
----------
I accept YOUR apology.
OK. So you have no issues with illegal immigrants at all? It is just with Hispanics in general?

I must say I find your honestly to be refreshing.
Quirky

Brighton, CO

#78 Mar 2, 2013
Memo From Turner wrote:
<quoted text>
OK. So you have no issues with illegal immigrants at all? It is just with Hispanics in general?
I must say I find your honestly to be refreshing.
Sure thing there Rico. Play the suck up to try and get to her. Ya lying POS!
a true US citizen

Hattiesburg, MS

#79 Mar 2, 2013
Suadela wrote:
One thing that troubles me the most is to see children and elderly suffer due to budget cuts.
Here where I'm at they will be cutting "Meals on Wheels" for the elderly,but not sure what cuts will go into effect that will affect the children yet.
What I'm trying to get at here is, why are we continuously supporting the illegals but yet cut assistance to the elderly and children? I mean there is so much that can be if not cut ,trimmed when it comes to Illegals ,why punish the innocent and vulnerable.Illegals get a lot of public assistance such as utility grants ,welfare,food stamps and a list of others.
Anyway getting back to the article, Illegals do not need to be released,they need to be held then deported ASAP.The longer they are held the more money is involved,so let's just enforce our laws and deport.
Obama is exaggerating this whole situation, taking advantage and all the while using scare tactics. There is so much he can cut in his own administration and then some, but he chooses to bring on hurt/pain to the American people.
This man has created such a mess and continues on that path.
well if you were true americans you would work had and put up money for you retirement and not need meals on wheels ... and there illigals there r no foodstamps for them, you have to be a citizen to get them you racist freak. and if there were an easier path to citizenship they would be doing just what they came here to do, WORK and provide a better life for there families. Americans are freaking out talking about all the hand outs that illigals are getting when the americans are standing in line at every free handout place there is.(Foodstanps, welfare, salvation army, and defrauding the government when they file taxes ect...)so why dont you take a look at your life and inspect everything you have done in life along with every family member you got and line them up in front of a firing squad for every thing they have done that just might be illigal. You can bet that you nor anyone in your family have gone through life without breaking any laws, so stop your judgement on others.
a true US citizen

Hattiesburg, MS

#80 Mar 2, 2013
Cricket 23 wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't have to put a gun to the head of an illegal alien to take
it!
That's why they have those "Anchor" babies.
Illegal Alien With 10 US Born Kids, Leaving Arizona Due To SB 1070
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =xaD2SqdTHcMXX&feature=rel ated
"Anchor babies"
wow now you have started calling innocent babies names. You would think that in 2013 in America that we were more civilized than this. well let me be among the first of Americans to apologize for the stupidity and ignorance of these who have no life outside of complaining about illigals,and acting as if there life has been lived so perfectly. when everyone should come together and want to do whatever it takes to help one another, we are all one. THE HUMAN RACE, no matter where you were born, what color you are, or what sex you are. we all need to learn how to be kind and caring. for all of our time here on earth is limited, and I for one will not waste one min hating, all of you need to get a life..
go out and spend your time serving your comunity or something.

Level 8

#81 Mar 3, 2013
Memo From Turner wrote:
<quoted text>

The topic was whether or not illegal immigrants were allowed to collect welfare.

I said they were not and you responded by saying:

I accept your apology.
LOL!!!

With "Anchor" babies they can get Section 8 Housing and Food Stamps.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Immigration Reform Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Trump Isn't Bluffing, He'll Deport 11 Million P... 10 min Responsibility 5,784
News Sanders: Don't blame Islam for Orlando shooting 1 hr Rose_NoHo 1,157
News Voters have trust issues with Hillary Clinton? ... (Jul '15) 2 hr positronium 7,057
News If Donald Trump Was President, Here's What Woul... (Oct '15) 2 hr positronium 10,533
Rose's Pub (Mar '10) 2 hr Lost Planet Airmen 141,981
News Outrage, caution from Latino stars in critical ... 3 hr Ted Haggard s Mas... 4
News Critics: Trump speech signals shift to coded ra... 3 hr And 51
More from around the web