Senators Reach Agreement On Overhauling Immigration

There are 584 comments on the National Public Radio story from Jan 28, 2013, titled Senators Reach Agreement On Overhauling Immigration. In it, National Public Radio reports that:

A bipartisan group of leading senators has reached agreement on the principles of sweeping legislation to rewrite the nation's immigration laws.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at National Public Radio.

Level 6

Since: Apr 10

Houston, TX

#41 Jan 28, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
Translation-
The GOPasaus finally figured out hispanics vote.
Don't believe the hype, so what Hispanics vote. 58% of Hispanics live in California and Texas. That leaves 42% for 48 more states. We are talking about 10% of the total vote. Considering if 100% of Hispanics vote dem. So that's 5.8% total for CA and TX, that leaves .087% per state of the total vote. Don't be fooled by the news that keep running Hispanic stories every night.

Remember this, the popular vote is not what counts. If California had 200 million Hispanic voters, they would still only have 55 electoral votes. Hispanics don't assimilate and they prefer to live close to the border and speak Spanish, what unites them also keeps them from assimilating into American culture.
ronnie

Brigham City, UT

#43 Jan 28, 2013
spytheweb wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't believe the hype, so what Hispanics vote. 58% of Hispanics live in California and Texas. That leaves 42% for 48 more states. We are talking about 10% of the total vote. Considering if 100% of Hispanics vote dem. So that's 5.8% total for CA and TX, that leaves .087% per state of the total vote. Don't be fooled by the news that keep running Hispanic stories every night.
Remember this, the popular vote is not what counts. If California had 200 million Hispanic voters, they would still only have 55 electoral votes. Hispanics don't assimilate and they prefer to live close to the border and speak Spanish, what unites them also keeps them from assimilating into American culture.
Yes you are correct, but they're using the huge percentages from Texas and California as a lightning rod to gain support. Opposition from Washington will wain because of the huge Latino vote and population in these States. We still have Bain and anti-illegal imigration advocates that are in Washington working on this. Even Rubio doesn't want the flood-gates to open up again, so they can't fail this time. Clsoing gaps in the border and our laws are forefront.
T
Level 5

Since: Sep 07

Location hidden

#44 Jan 28, 2013
Rico from East Los II wrote:
<quoted text>
Americans sent politicians to Congress to work out the details of Immigration Reform. So the proposals are not your cup of tea... well go cry to your elected official.
hey, genius. did you notice that we have the same scenario we had for the last 10 years?

we have a democratic president and a democratic senate. and last but not least, we have a republican congress.

a republican majority congress that let me remind you has MORE members who are anti-illegal then we had before.

do you really think there will be an amnesty?

let me put it to you another way... the MAJORITY of americans know that YOU want open borders. and anybody with any grain of sense knows that america cannot accommodate all the people in the world who want to come in.

that's a fact.

to allow everybody out there who is not currently a citizen of the usa to have the chance to be one would kill the usa.

reality.

Level 6

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#45 Jan 28, 2013
Ed Teach wrote:
<quoted text>
I am forced to agree, no way you could remove those that are here. But, there is a way to prevent others. Simple and cost efficient too.
Sniper training.
Hitler moved 8 million and he didn't have near the resources we have today.

Snipers AND land mines.
dwg

Everett, MA

#46 Jan 28, 2013
Bama Yankee wrote:
<quoted text>
Hitler moved 8 million and he didn't have near the resources we have today.
Snipers AND land mines.
DWG Wrote:

XXI CENTURY ( Amnesty 2013 )

I am in favor all undocumented people in this country (amnesty) but I wanna explain , USA do not need 12 milhon undocumented in this country:

A) to pay in-come tax,

Note: USA print money every day, milhons, and milhons

B) to be a labor productive.

Note: USA can buy whatever they wanna.

c) to go to the army.

Note: USA have NUKEs.

D) never say " they can not deport 20 milhon...... "

Note : USA " yes they can "

So, by 27 years undocumented people in this country are like white mouse in the lab,(1986-2013), check this out:

1) they had showed what happens when you PASSED AMNESTY BILL (1986 republican Regan president ) without employers enforcement ( if they contract somebody without properly documents)

Note: 1986 -- Bill gates, Apple, linux or NASA did not have many tecnology that we have today, funny :-)

2) 27 years with illegal entry by south border means a huge black market for dirt guys.

A) smuglers
B) illegal guns
C) Money wash
D) prostitution
E) slave labor
F) desistabilization on mexico governament
G) human trafic

Note: many more, to open a big hole in american economy. I forget about those guys with expire visas.

3) scapegoat by Republicans at all american elections.. Just to promote bad guys in our powerfull body ( governament )

Now is time to fix this broken system , because many people death, sofer and cry just to enrich a few, bad busyness without a lider.

Thanks
DWG (pass the bill)
Eric Gustafson

Newport News, VA

#47 Jan 28, 2013
This proposal on immigration will get no traction in the House of Representatives.

The Tea Party folks will never agree to a path to Citizenship for Hispanics who aren't citizens. The typical base Republican does not want the competition, and the establishment Republicans need the cheap labor. This is a wedge issue in the GOP
Eric Gustafson

Newport News, VA

#48 Jan 28, 2013
America's Oligarch are trying to corrupt America to the same point that those countries' immigrants desiring to come to America, are trying to escape.
Asian Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
hey, genius. did you notice that we have the same scenario we had for the last 10 years?
we have a democratic president and a democratic senate. and last but not least, we have a republican congress.
a republican majority congress that let me remind you has MORE members who are anti-illegal then we had before.
do you really think there will be an amnesty?
let me put it to you another way... the MAJORITY of americans know that YOU want open borders. and anybody with any grain of sense knows that america cannot accommodate all the people in the world who want to come in.
that's a fact.
to allow everybody out there who is not currently a citizen of the usa to have the chance to be one would kill the usa.
reality.
Eric Gustafson

Newport News, VA

#49 Jan 28, 2013
How about decedents of Hispanics who occupied lands in territories before the Unites States purchased the territory from Mexico? Do you count the Caribbean Basin Hispanics like Puerto Ricans?
spytheweb wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't believe the hype, so what Hispanics vote. 58% of Hyispanics live in California and Texas. That leaves 42% for 48 more states. We are talking about 10% of the total vote. Considering if 100% of Hispanics vote dem. So that's 5.8% total for CA and TX, that leaves .087% per state of the total vote. Don't be fooled by the news that keep running Hispanic stories every night.
Remember this, the popular vote is not what counts. If California had 200 million Hispanic voters, they would still only have 55 electoral votes. Hispanics don't assimilate and they prefer to live close to the border and speak Spanish, what unites them also keeps them from assimilating into American culture.
Chicopee

Danbury, CT

#50 Jan 28, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
So will the GOPasaurs turn on McCain & Rubio for supporting this?
Let's hope so!
I look forward to the racist Republicans tearing each other apart over this issue while Obama & the Dems sit back an look like the sane adults again.
Should be entertaining!!
You need to do a little research into past attempts at "fixing" immigration. Neither party ever looked or acted like sane adults. Just look at all the bills between 2005 and 2007, look at who voted yes or no. Blaming one party for past failures is disengenuous, at best, or flatout bullsh!t, to say it plainly.
But of course, this is what politics has come down to in this country today. Our do nothing congress and apparently, many citizens are more focused on bruising the party across the aisle rather than getting anything done.
Eric Gustafson

Newport News, VA

#51 Jan 28, 2013
Base Republicans are not going to support anything immigration. The base Republicans hate anything Hispanic. They especially hate waiting in line behind Hispanics in Wal Mart so they aren't going to want to compete with them for jobs.

There is no way Base Republicans are supporting immigration in the House of Representatives.
Chicopee

Danbury, CT

#52 Jan 28, 2013
ronnie wrote:
I just think the McCains in this goofy problem, really think Repub's are going to gain from this choice. HA HA what?????No Mexican or south American or Asian illegal will vote Republican, and they actually think these illegals will learn English ha ha ha....They will NOT QUALIFY. Only very small %'s will come forward, pay fines, learn English. Our so called leaders simply do not realize the illegals don't want to become Americans. They want reconquista... silly south Americans. You will not assimilate, and have zero appreciation for this Country and legal America. I've been insulted time and time again by these people and they won't change for anybody. Never. They want to change this Country, not become American....Stupid McCain. He and Durbin, dumb...
??????
While some illegal aliens want Reconquista, I don't think the majority do.
But what these proposals lack, and what may end up dooming them is the fact that there is no teeth, at least to date, of what to do about those who refuse to come forward (and many won't), what to do about employers that continue to hire illegal, under the table workers, what to do about the over 7 million who are currently working under false SS#'s and how to secure the border and stop the invasion from this point forward.
The other thing is that they keep throwing around the 11 million number. In 2006, when they were working on a past bill, there was an estimated 10.6 million people here illegally. Does anyone actually believe only 400,000 have snuck into the country in the seven years since?
I think we can all agree that Washington is broken. Both parties. That Washington lies to us citizens constantly...both parties. That we citizens would be absolutely foolish to believe anything any of them promise...either party.
Understanding that, all this is just going to be a tempest in a tea pot and nothing will end up getting done. But it'll be a great diversion from thinking of our failing economy, dismal job market and high uneployment.
Let the games begin.
Chicopee

Danbury, CT

#53 Jan 28, 2013
Eric Gustafson wrote:
Base Republicans are not going to support anything immigration. The base Republicans hate anything Hispanic. They especially hate waiting in line behind Hispanics in Wal Mart so they aren't going to want to compete with them for jobs.
There is no way Base Republicans are supporting immigration in the House of Representatives.
Just what this discussion needed. Another uber-partisan, race baiting comment about the "other guys" that has absolutely no facts to back it up...just a partisan attack, ironically laced with the very thing that he accuses the other party of. Hatred.
Eric Gustafson

Newport News, VA

#54 Jan 28, 2013
Chicopee wrote:
<quoted text>
Just what this discussion needed. Another uber-partisan, race baiting comment about the "other guys" that has absolutely no facts to back it up...just a partisan attack, ironically laced with the very thing that he accuses the other party of. Hatred.
It was only in October the Base Republicans were rallying around the concept and proposal of their Candidate to promote a immigration policy devised to get illegals to self Self Deportation and offer no path to citizenship.

What possibly could have put out that fire in so little time?
Chicopee

Danbury, CT

#55 Jan 28, 2013
Eric Gustafson wrote:
<quoted text>
It was only in October the Base Republicans were rallying around the concept and proposal of their Candidate to promote a immigration policy devised to get illegals to self Self Deportation and offer no path to
citizenship.
What possibly could have put out that fire in so little time?
The idiot Republicans are cannibalizing their own and have been through the whole of the last election cycle. I'm a Democrat who remembers when my party was doing the same back in the nineties, but like the nineties, this too, shall pass.
That doesn't negate the fact that numerous attempts at immigration reform and border/immigration control have failed in the last seven years alone, nor does it negate the fact that both parties have voted in majority against varying bills.
It's also wise to remember that one of McCain's bills during the Bush administration (Republican last time I checked) went down in flames due to fierce public outcry. Politicians in both parties will still waver in the face of angry voters.
Most Americans want a solution to this mess, but most also agree that border control and enforcement of current laws must happen before anything else does. We were fooled once before by Reagan (another Repulican, if memory serves) and his amnesty bill, and that only encouraged more illegal aliens to come on in.
So, you go ahead and keep gloating and parsing this as a partisan issue. As we've seen in Washington, that gets us nowhere fast and muddies the debate.
And if the loss of a recent election is the cause, then at least the Republicans are going to do what Obama promised but didn't deliver.
Be careful what you wish for. The Repubs could very well come out on top.

Level 3

Since: Nov 08

Paris

#56 Jan 29, 2013
Your Ex wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, we will.
And it doesen't look good for
You.
R.S.V.P CUPCAKE. We'll keep the light on for ya.

Level 3

Since: Nov 08

Paris

#57 Jan 29, 2013
Eric Gustafson wrote:
<quoted text>
It was only in October the Base Republicans were rallying around the concept and proposal of their Candidate to promote a immigration policy devised to get illegals to self Self Deportation and offer no path to citizenship.
What possibly could have put out that fire in so little time?
Yes, we know liberals enjoy ignoring America's laws and it's constitution. What's new.

Level 3

Since: Nov 08

Paris

#58 Jan 29, 2013
Eric Gustafson wrote:
Base Republicans are not going to support anything immigration. The base Republicans hate anything Hispanic. They especially hate waiting in line behind Hispanics in Wal Mart so they aren't going to want to compete with them for jobs.
There is no way Base Republicans are supporting immigration in the House of Representatives.
Other than lies you can't prove, is there anything else in your bag of candy to temp the children with.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Level 1

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#59 Jan 29, 2013
spytheweb wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't believe the hype, so what Hispanics vote. 58% of Hispanics live in California and Texas. That leaves 42% for 48 more states. We are talking about 10% of the total vote. Considering if 100% of Hispanics vote dem. So that's 5.8% total for CA and TX, that leaves .087% per state of the total vote. Don't be fooled by the news that keep running Hispanic stories every night.
Remember this, the popular vote is not what counts. If California had 200 million Hispanic voters, they would still only have 55 electoral votes. Hispanics don't assimilate and they prefer to live close to the border and speak Spanish, what unites them also keeps them from assimilating into American culture.
Texas is likely to go for the Dems in 2020 based on the increase in the Hispanic vote there.

If the GOPasaurs lose Texas along with CA, NY, IL, etc, then they have no realistic path to 270 electoral votes needed.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Level 1

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#61 Jan 29, 2013
Eric Gustafson wrote:
Base Republicans are not going to support anything immigration. The base Republicans hate anything Hispanic. They especially hate waiting in line behind Hispanics in Wal Mart so they aren't going to want to compete with them for jobs.
There is no way Base Republicans are supporting immigration in the House of Representatives.
Good. I hope all the Republicans come out opposed to this.

That way the GOPasaurs will never see the inside of the White House for the next 50 years if ever.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Level 1

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#62 Jan 29, 2013
Bama Yankee wrote:
<quoted text>
Hitler moved 8 million and he didn't have near the resources we have today.
Snipers AND land mines.
Really? That's the comparison you want Republicans to make??

Wow.

And people still wonder why hispanics don't vote for the GOPasaurs....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Immigration Reform Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News What Should Citizenship Mean? 18 min - Lady Liberty - 30
News Tea Party affiliate FreedomWorks refocuses, cha... 1 hr Black Annie 12
News When It Comes to Dealing With Illegal Immigrati... 1 hr See the Light 1
News Three immigration bills to watch at the Nevada ... 1 hr Local 6
News GOP bill blocks pregnant immigrants from enteri... 2 hr sandy1 9
News Hispanic Evangelicals Threaten To Abandon Repub... 2 hr Tazo 61
News An Immigration Solution 2 hr wild child 3
More from around the web