Most Americans back path to citizenship for illegal immigrants: poll

Full story: mymixfm.com 890
The majority of Americans favor giving millions of illegal immigrants a way to earn citizenship, according to a survey released on Thursday, highlighting public support for efforts in Congress to reform immigration law. Full Story

“Headed toward the cliff”

Level 1

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#241 Mar 24, 2013
Bama Yankee wrote:
<quoted text>
It's called harboring.
Title 8 Chapter 12 Subchapter II Part VIII 1324 (iii)
It provides for a fine and imprisonment up to 5 years.
Nope, simply being aware that someone is an illegal alien in no way qualifies as "harboring".

Try again.
Level 5

Since: Sep 07

Location hidden

#242 Mar 24, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
See SCOTUS ruling.
Under the jurisdiction means a physical presence where you are subject to the laws of that country.
Whether they are here illegally or not, they are still subject to our laws, therefore are under our jurisdiction.
Again, if you're confused, read the SCOTUS decisions in US v Ark & Plyler v Doe.
your logic has been debated frequently. and the consensus is - the founding fathers would not have duplicated the same requirement twice.

in other words, why repeat "under the jurisdiction" when that is assumed when one is "born" in the usa?

the logic at the time was.. some people namely American Indians were not automatically granted citizenship when they were born in the usa.

back then, the American Indians were considered their own sovereign entity. and were treated such on the indian reservations.

so, back to the original intent of "under the jurisdiction", it is NOT meant to imply being PHYSICALLY born in the usa. it is meant to refer to which laws pertain to your status.

in the case of a Mexican couple giving birth in the usa, the laws of the country where the couple came from apply to the child. in this case, mexico.

commonsense.

all over world, it is not an automatic thing to acquire citizenship in other countries just because you were born there.

READ..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jus_soli
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jus_sanguinis

Level 1

Tawas City, Michigan

#243 Mar 24, 2013
Dee Dee Dee wrote:
<quoted text>
Facts do not matter to sheeple. Sheeple blindly follow their masters even to the slaughter. That is just what they do. It is fun to point out what fools they are but it is also sad.
As I said in my original post the SCotUS has avoided the issue for political reasons. They know they cannot find a legal basis to rule that the children of foreign nationals who are born on U.S. soil should be granted automatic citizenship so they just avoid the issue.
And yet the SCOTUS DID rule exactly that in US v Ark.

That's why chidren born in the US to foreign nationals residing here legally or illegally are given automatic US citiznship.

And yet the SCOTUS upheld the concept that illegal aliens ARE "subject to the jurisdiction thereof" in Plyler v Doe.

Cry all you want, but it doesn't change the law of the land.

Level 1

Tawas City, Michigan

#244 Mar 24, 2013
duh wrote:
<quoted text>
You need to wake up.. obama AND michele have both said that he is from kenya.. get your head out of the sand and watch the youtube video where it actually comes out of HIS mouth that he was born in kenya.. you have been drinking the koolaid way too long.. but, you will continue to TRY to argue about this because you are clueless.. I double dog dare you to face the truth... check out the video.. you will only feel like an idiot for a short period of time.. maybe..
And yet he's STILL our president.

Sucks to be a birther nutjob......

Level 1

Tawas City, Michigan

#245 Mar 24, 2013
Asian Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
your logic has been debated frequently. and the consensus is - the founding fathers would not have duplicated the same requirement twice.
in other words, why repeat "under the jurisdiction" when that is assumed when one is "born" in the usa?
the logic at the time was.. some people namely American Indians were not automatically granted citizenship when they were born in the usa.
back then, the American Indians were considered their own sovereign entity. and were treated such on the indian reservations.
so, back to the original intent of "under the jurisdiction", it is NOT meant to imply being PHYSICALLY born in the usa. it is meant to refer to which laws pertain to your status.
in the case of a Mexican couple giving birth in the usa, the laws of the country where the couple came from apply to the child. in this case, mexico.
commonsense.
all over world, it is not an automatic thing to acquire citizenship in other countries just because you were born there.
READ..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jus_soli
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jus_sanguinis
Ah so!

This is America, and we have our own laws regardless of what other countries do.

The SCOTUS disagrees with you. US citizenship is based primarily on the principle of Jus Soli- the place of birth.

I suggest you take it up with them.
yaz

Crownsville, MD

#248 Mar 24, 2013
yepper
Level 5

Location hidden

#249 Mar 24, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
And yet the SCOTUS DID rule exactly that in US v Ark.
That's why chidren born in the US to foreign nationals residing here legally or illegally are given automatic US citiznship.
And yet the SCOTUS upheld the concept that illegal aliens ARE "subject to the jurisdiction thereof" in Plyler v Doe.
Cry all you want, but it doesn't change the law of the land.
actually, the opposite of what you say is TRUE.

if we the people complain that there is a mistake, the odds are it will be corrected.

Level 1

Tawas City, Michigan

#250 Mar 24, 2013
Asian Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
actually, the opposite of what you say is TRUE.
if we the people complain that there is a mistake, the odds are it will be corrected.
Your type has been bitching about it for the past 114+ years.

How's that 'correction' coming along?

I do love the irony of an Asian arguing against citizenship for Americans born in America!.....
freebird

Long Beach, CA

#252 Mar 24, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
I do love the irony of an Asian arguing against citizenship for Americans born in America!.....
The irony is you're too stupid to understand what he's saying. He's not against people here legally having children and calling them American citizens.
Dee Dee Dee

Emmaus, PA

#254 Mar 24, 2013
freebird wrote:
<quoted text>
The irony is you're too stupid to understand what he's saying. He's not against people here legally having children and calling them American citizens.
He understands, He just hates Asians and black and white people. Just look at his posts. He has made racist comments about them all. Its a troll thing.

Level 1

Tawas City, Michigan

#255 Mar 24, 2013
freebird wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand what's he's saying- Asians good, Mexicans bad.

I'm saying his understanding is WRONG.

See SCOTUS ruling.

Level 1

Tawas City, Michigan

#256 Mar 24, 2013
Dee Dee Dee wrote:
<quoted text>
He understands, He just hates Asians and black and white people. Just look at his posts. He has made racist comments about them all. Its a troll thing.
No, I hate hypocritical racists, which is why I make fun of Asian boy.
fritobandito

United States

#258 Mar 24, 2013
Here Is One wrote:
<quoted text>
Once again you prove that you are a ignorant troll..........LOL
Once again, you prove you are a troll on menopause who doesn't take her medication.
fritobandito

United States

#261 Mar 24, 2013
Here Is One wrote:
<quoted text>
Everyone laughs at you here......
So, when are you gonna show up for a real fight? I'm waiting....
fritobandito

United States

#262 Mar 24, 2013
Here Is One wrote:
<quoted text>
Everyone laughs at you here......
People have been laughing at you, since you were born.
Level 5

Location hidden

#265 Mar 24, 2013
Here Is One wrote:
<quoted text>
Is that why you are so scared of everyone???
the guy is so scared.. he won't register on topix. what a coward.
Level 5

Location hidden

#266 Mar 24, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
ah. my logic rings true in your ears too. doesn't it?

why else would you attack me so viciously?

the truth can hurt.

as for the "correction" happening... just a matter of time.
Level 5

Location hidden

#267 Mar 24, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I hate hypocritical racists, which is why I make fun of Asian boy.
the reason why you attack me so viciously is because my logic rings true even in your ears.

and it hurts so bad you cannot help but attack me with insults instead of a rebuttal.
fritobandito

United States

#269 Mar 24, 2013
Asian Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
the guy is so scared.. he won't register on topix. what a coward.
You're more afraid that the government will reinstitute the Chinese Exclusion Act.
Level 5

Location hidden

#270 Mar 24, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand what's he's saying- Asians good, Mexicans bad.
I'm saying his understanding is WRONG.
See SCOTUS ruling.
I never said that.. "asians good, mexicans bad."

that's YOU talking.

the fact of the matter.. I think there are many bad asians. for examples, pol pet, mao, etc. these guys murdered millions in their lifetime.

just curious.. do you think all mexicans are good?

as for my "understanding" being wrong.. you know better. look in the mirror.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Immigration Reform Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Obama calls out GOP on immigration policy 5 min Quirky 142
Rand Paul wins 2015 CPAC straw poll 9 min Fortunate Son 1968 4
Another Bush Will Soon Be In Elected Office 12 min huey goins 141
Dems call GOP Homeland Security strategy a poli... 40 min RustyS 3
Is President Obama Really Christian? 46 min Unga Bunga Malung... 92
Rose's Pub (Mar '10) 53 min quetzalcoatl 137,593
Dana Milbank: Jeb Bush, CPAC pinata 56 min wild child 1
More from around the web