Most Americans back path to citizenship for illegal immigrants: poll

Full story: mymixfm.com

The majority of Americans favor giving millions of illegal immigrants a way to earn citizenship, according to a survey released on Thursday, highlighting public support for efforts in Congress to reform immigration law.

Comments (Page 11)

Showing posts 201 - 220 of890
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“Headed toward the cliff”

Level 1

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2013

Judged:

Asian Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
personally, I think people interpreted the law wrong.
the key issue here is what exactly does "under the jurisdiction" mean?
if 2 non-citizens gave birth to a child in the usa... then, returned to their home country WITHOUT their child. would they still retain control of the child?
I mean.. think about it some.
if the non-citizen couple went back home without their child, and then, requested that the usa return their child to them..
wouldn't it be a case of the child not being "under the jurisdiction" since obviously the usa would return the child?
See SCOTUS ruling.

Under the jurisdiction means a physical presence where you are subject to the laws of that country.

Whether they are here illegally or not, they are still subject to our laws, therefore are under our jurisdiction.

Again, if you're confused, read the SCOTUS decisions in US v Ark & Plyler v Doe.

Level 1

Tawas City, Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2013

Judged:

spytheweb wrote:
<quoted text>
The court found that Kim's parents were legally in the country therefore was entitled to be born a US citizen.
The 14th amendment requires the parents to be under the jurisdiction of the US in order for the child to be born a US citizen. There is a difference between being under the jurisdiction and being subject to the law.
My son was born in the Philippines, he was born a US citizen because i'am a US citizen and i'am under the jurisdiction of the US. That is also why i have to pay taxes to the US when i'am outside the country. Illegal aliens are not under the jurisdiction of the US they are under whatever country they are a citizen of.
Illegal aliens can not be tried for treason or compelled to perform jury duty because they are not US citizens, but they are subject to the laws of the law.
Even American Indians were not US citizens even thou they were born inside the US before 1924. The citizen act allowed them to be born US citizens, no such act has been passed for illegal aliens.
I don't see a reason why the government allows illegal aliens to be born US citizens and it's not within federal law.
The SCOTUS disagreed in both US v Ark & Plyler v Doe.

Physical presence whether legally or illegally is sufficient to be considered "under the jurisdiction thereof".

The place of birth (jus soli) is the primary determining factor for US citizenship; if you're born on US soil, you're granted automatic US citizenship.

In addition, the US recognizes the principle of jus sanguinis (citizenship based on parents citizenship) under certain circumstances if the child is born overseas.

Native Americans were different because they were technically members of a sovereign nation within a nation, so they weren't born on US soil but rather their own sovereign soil.

Level 1

Tawas City, Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2013

Judged:

spytheweb wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't have them pay anything, just deport them.
Also unrealistic to think we're going to deport 10-20 million people.

Level 1

Tawas City, Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2013

Judged:

Cricket 23 wrote:
<quoted text>
You have to watch the clip to know what "SOMETHING" is!
Doesn't matter, it's still free speech.

Level 1

Tawas City, Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2013

Judged:

Cricket 23 wrote:
<quoted text>
So how would your civil rights be violated?
Or turn the US into a police state?
The only way you're going to deport 10-20 million illegals from this country is to use the military to search house-to-house and raid every business & school & hosptial, and stop every car on the road & every person on the street to demand to see their papers.

That will violate my civil rights along with every other American citizen.

Level 1

Tawas City, Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2013

Judged:

Cricket 23 wrote:
<quoted text>
(CBS) It was 5 a.m. and CBS News national correspondent Byron Pitts is with a woman who is nine months pregnant. She's rushed to a south Texas hospital to undergo a C-section - a $4,700 medical procedure that won't cost her a dime. She qualifies for emergency Medicaid.
She gave birth to a healthy, 8 1/2 pound baby boy - born in America. His Mexican mother gave him an American name: Eliot.
Eliot is one of an estimated 300,000 children of illegal immigrants born in the United States every year, according to the Pew Hispanic Center. They're given instant citizenship because they are born on U.S. soil, which makes it easier for their parents to become U.S. citizens.
That's because those babies can eventually sponsor their parents - when they turn 21 years old.
Read rest of story below:
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/04/07/eve...
If you don't like it, then change the constitution. Until then all you can do is whine about it.

Level 1

Tawas City, Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2013

Judged:

Cricket 23 wrote:
<quoted text>
What other laws do you tell your family it's OK to ignore?
Where is the law requiring me to turn in someone who committed a misdemeanor 20 or 30 or 50 years ago?

Like I said, I would prefer they not break our laws, but I'm not a law enforcement officer so I have no authority to arrest them.

Level 1

Tawas City, Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2013

Judged:

Cricket 23 wrote:
<quoted text>
What other laws do you tell your family it's OK to ignore?
So did you narc on all your friends in school who you knew drank alcohol or smoked cigaretts underage?

Do you call the cops everytime you see someone jaywalking?

Level 1

Tawas City, Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2013

Judged:

Cricket 23 wrote:
<quoted text>
So you want to make American Citizens of illegal aliens that have stolen over $4 "BILLION" from the American Tax Payers?
Why?
Because it's the only chance we have of getting some of that money back.

Level 1

Tawas City, Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2013

Judged:

Cricket 23 wrote:
<quoted text>
Because his parents were legal immigrants.
Nope, he was granted citizenship solely because he was physically born in the US. His parents legal status had NOTHING to do with it.

Level 1

Tawas City, Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2013

Judged:

Cricket 23 wrote:
<quoted text>
Supreme Court decisions
The correct interpretation of the 14th Amendment is that an illegal alien mother is subject to the jurisdiction of her native country, as is her baby.
Over a century ago, the Supreme Court appropriately confirmed this restricted interpretation of citizenship in the so-called "Slaughter-House cases" [83 US 36 (1873) and 112 US 94 (1884)]13. In the 1884 Elk v.Wilkins case12, the phrase "subject to its jurisdiction" was interpreted to exclude "children of ministers, consuls, and citizens of foreign states born within the United States." In Elk, the American Indian claimant was considered not an American citizen because the law required him to be "not merely subject in some respect or degree to the jurisdiction of the United States, but completely subject to their political jurisdiction and owing them direct and immediate allegiance."
The Court essentially stated that the status of the parents determines the citizenship of the child. To qualify children for birthright citizenship, based on the 14th Amendment, parents must owe "direct and immediate allegiance" to the U.S. and be "completely subject" to its jurisdiction. In other words, they must be United States citizens.
Congress subsequently passed a special act to grant full citizenship to American Indians, who were not citizens even through they were born within the borders of the United States. The Citizens Act of 1924, codified in 8USCS▀1401, provides that:
The following shall be nationals and citizens of the United States at birth:
(a) a person born in the United States and subject to the jurisdiction thereof;
(b) a person born in the United States to a member of an Indian, Eskimo, Aleutian, or other aboriginal tribe.
(Continue)
Nope, the 1898 US v Ark case overturned those previous precedents and the principle of Jus Soli (birthplace) has stood ever since.

Level 1

Tawas City, Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2013

Judged:

Cricket 23 wrote:
In 1889, the Wong Kim Ark Supreme Court case10,11 once again, in a ruling based strictly on the 14th Amendment, concluded that the status of the parents was crucial in determining the citizenship of the child. The current misinterpretation of the 14th Amendment is based in part upon the presumption that the Wong Kim Ark ruling encompassed illegal aliens. In fact, it did not address the children of illegal aliens and non-immigrant aliens, but rather determined an allegiance for legal immigrant parents based on the meaning of the word domicil(e). Since it is inconceivable that illegal alien parents could have a legal domicile in the United States, the ruling clearly did not extend birthright citizenship to children of illegal alien parents. Indeed, the ruling strengthened the original intent of the 14th Amendment.
The original intent of the 14th Amendment was clearly not to facilitate illegal aliens defying U.S. law and obtaining citizenship for their offspring, nor obtaining benefits at taxpayer expense. Current estimates indicate there may be between 300,000 and 700,000 anchor babies born each year in the U.S., thus causing illegal alien mothers to add more to the U.S. population each year than immigration from all sources in an average year before 1965.(See consequences.)
American citizens must be wary of elected politicians voting to illegally extend our generous social benefits to illegal aliens and other criminals.
http://www.14thamendment.us/birthright_citize...
Nope, that wasn't their finding at all.

That's why children born in the US to illegal immigrants are granted US citizenship.
Lincoln

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2013

Judged:

Cricket 23 wrote:
<quoted text>
You're the one whining!
Happy with President Obama
Lincoln

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2013

Judged:

WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Also unrealistic to think we're going to deport 10-20 million people.
Republican position on this is shifting after the 2012 election
freebird

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2013

Judged:

WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
I read the SCOTUS decision. It says exactly what I said it did.
Isn't the SCOTUS the government? I could give a rats azz what they say, when they are wrong. I think for myself, and giving illegal aliens or their children anything other than deportation is wrong. If we did that, then we wouldn't have illegal immigration now would we? See, it's pretty easy when you think about it.

Level 6

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2013

Judged:

WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Where is the law requiring me to turn in someone who committed a misdemeanor 20 or 30 or 50 years ago?
Like I said, I would prefer they not break our laws, but I'm not a law enforcement officer so I have no authority to arrest them.
It's called harboring.
Title 8 Chapter 12 Subchapter II Part VIII 1324 (iii)

It provides for a fine and imprisonment up to 5 years.
Dee Dee Dee

Emmaus, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2013

Judged:

spytheweb wrote:
<quoted text>
The court found that Kim's parents were legally in the country therefore was entitled to be born a US citizen.
The 14th amendment requires the parents to be under the jurisdiction of the US in order for the child to be born a US citizen. There is a difference between being under the jurisdiction and being subject to the law.
My son was born in the Philippines, he was born a US citizen because i'am a US citizen and i'am under the jurisdiction of the US. That is also why i have to pay taxes to the US when i'am outside the country. Illegal aliens are not under the jurisdiction of the US they are under whatever country they are a citizen of.
Illegal aliens can not be tried for treason or compelled to perform jury duty because they are not US citizens, but they are subject to the laws of the law.
Even American Indians were not US citizens even thou they were born inside the US before 1924. The citizen act allowed them to be born US citizens, no such act has been passed for illegal aliens.
I don't see a reason why the government allows illegal aliens to be born US citizens and it's not within federal law.
Facts do not matter to sheeple. Sheeple blindly follow their masters even to the slaughter. That is just what they do. It is fun to point out what fools they are but it is also sad.
As I said in my original post the SCotUS has avoided the issue for political reasons. They know they cannot find a legal basis to rule that the children of foreign nationals who are born on U.S. soil should be granted automatic citizenship so they just avoid the issue.
duh

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2013

Judged:

Injudgement wrote:
<quoted text>Please let us all know when you present your case before the Supreme Court on the matter.
You Birthers are so funny.
You need to wake up.. obama AND michele have both said that he is from kenya.. get your head out of the sand and watch the youtube video where it actually comes out of HIS mouth that he was born in kenya.. you have been drinking the koolaid way too long.. but, you will continue to TRY to argue about this because you are clueless.. I double dog dare you to face the truth... check out the video.. you will only feel like an idiot for a short period of time.. maybe..
see the light

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2013

Judged:

What Liberal made up that lie? Americans don't want illegals here, much less citizens.

Level 1

Tawas City, Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2013

Judged:

freebird wrote:
<quoted text>
Isn't the SCOTUS the government? I could give a rats azz what they say, when they are wrong. I think for myself, and giving illegal aliens or their children anything other than deportation is wrong. If we did that, then we wouldn't have illegal immigration now would we? See, it's pretty easy when you think about it.
When you make the laws, then I'll worry about what you think about it.

Until then, any child born in the US is a US citizen.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 201 - 220 of890
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

72 Users are viewing the Immigration Reform Forum right now

Search the Immigration Reform Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
The President has failed us (Jun '12) 8 min spoko 218,707
Court stops Dallas suburb's immigrant renters law (Jul '13) 56 min spud 4
Rubio's donor base grows 1 hr barefoot2626 13
Immigrants recount horror of being detained in... 1 hr Dee Dee Dee 10
Detention: Yet another immigration policy in ne... 1 hr wild child 2
Sheriffa s candidates for chief differ over dep... 1 hr wild child 3
El Paso state Sen. Jose Rodriguez challenges wi... 2 hr DC Dave 60
•••
•••