Immigration: Chances are good for swe...

Immigration: Chances are good for sweeping immigration reform

There are 132 comments on the New York Daily News story from Jan 25, 2013, titled Immigration: Chances are good for sweeping immigration reform. In it, New York Daily News reports that:

Senators Schumer, Rubio and Reid, and Congressmen Boehner, Ryan and Gutierrez will all have strong motivation to push the Obama Administration to enact sweeping immigration reform As expected, President Obama confirmed his support for immigration reform in his inaugural address.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at New York Daily News.

First Prev
of 7
Next Last

“Reduce immigration levels”

Level 5

Since: Dec 06

Kings Mountain, NC

#168 Mar 4, 2013
Obama Personifies Cloward-Piven Strategy. He is following the playbook right to the letter....terrifying!!
http://www.henrymakow.com/obama-personifies-c...

Sessions For President? Immigration Patriot Faces Down Reconquistas
http://www.vdare.com/articles/sessions-for-pr...

A full-time minimum-wage worker earns roughly $15,000 a year. But that worker also receives a cash supplement from the earned income tax credit of roughly $5,000, and many states provide benefits on top of that to reward working. That doesn't count government benefits like food stamps, Medicaid, child care and more. According to data from the Employment Policies Institute, about two of every three minimum-wage workers also get a raise within one year. MILLIONS OF ILLEGALS WHEN AMNESTIED WILL BENEFIT FROM THE "EARNED INCOME TAX CREDIT." It will bankrupt our country!

American Legion comes out against new amnesty push
https://www.numbersusa.com/content/news/febru...

Rep. Murphy Seeks Answers Regarding Obama Amnesty Plan
http://www.fairus.org/legislative-updates/fai...

Illegal aliens now complaining about type of driver's license they will receive
http://www.examiner.com/article/illegal-alien...

Obama now providing salad bars and abortions to illegal aliens (at your expense)
http://www.examiner.com/article/obama-now-pro...

Sequester Savings: Jailbird Illegal Aliens Released into America
http://www.vdare.com/posts/sequester-savings-...

The Myth of Illegal Immigration and Food Prices
http://www.sandiegoreader.com/weblogs/fulano_...

$2.2 trillion illegal alien taxpayer sticker shock
Read more at http://www.wnd.com/2007/04/41045/#pAlzw6t2co1...

Ronald Reagan’s Biggest Mistake – According to Reagan Himself
http://conservativetimes.org/...

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#171 Mar 20, 2013
Asian Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
the rule of law dictates that you enforce the laws no matter whether someone doesn't like it or not.
Congress is a legislative body.

It can choose to enforce bad laws OR it can change them.

Clearly, choosing to fix bad laws is the more intelligent option.

As I said before, it's better to focus on fixing bad laws than spending time enforcing bad laws.
Level 5

Since: Sep 07

Location hidden

#172 Mar 21, 2013
libertarian4321 wrote:
<quoted text>
Congress is a legislative body.
It can choose to enforce bad laws OR it can change them.
Clearly, choosing to fix bad laws is the more intelligent option.
As I said before, it's better to focus on fixing bad laws than spending time enforcing bad laws.
the problem with your theory is that there will always be someone who thinks some law is "bad".

and therefore, according to YOUR logic, NONE of the laws should be enforced.

another name for such a scenario - chaos.

if the government won't enforce the laws on the books, perhaps some of us citizens will stop abiding by them. like they say, what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

wouldn't it be something if a majority of the taxpayers stop paying their taxes?

why should they? as I see them, they are "bad" taxes. money being spent supporting illegals. criminals, and the sort.

politicians who are not doing their jobs...namely, ENFORCING the laws.
gokkok

Rochester, PA

#173 Mar 21, 2013
youtube.com/watch... ……… Get Over it quickly
Pando

Bullhead City, AZ

#174 Apr 8, 2013
libertarian4321 wrote:
<quoted text>
I think our current laws are not only wrong, but completely unenforceable.
You want to enforce bad laws. I want to fix the bad laws.
I guess we'll just have to disagree.
Unenforceable? Bad law?

How would you or anyone else know? We've never enforced our immigration laws.

I suggest we actually start enforcing them - all of them - for a period of 5 years before we try to fix anything.

For those that insist on fixing them I suggest we immediately adopt and start enforcing the immigration and deportation laws of Mexico. Afterall they work successfully in Mexico.

Location hidden

#175 Apr 13, 2013
Asian Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
the problem with your theory is that there will always be someone who thinks some law is "bad".
and therefore, according to YOUR logic, NONE of the laws should be enforced.
That's not what I said.

In this case, it's clear that the people that MATTER- especially wealthy Republicans, want immigration reform.

Democrats want it, rich Republicans want it, most libertarians want it.

The only people digging in their heels and demanding walls with machine guns are the white trash Republicans. And we all know those people don't really count, they are just rabble to be mobilized on election day. Those in power don't really care what they think.

So in this case, change is inevitable. It's only a matter of time. And I guarantee you no real effort will ever be made to "stop" illegal immigration because (I'm going to say it again so it sinks in) THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER DON'T WANT TO STOP THOSE "ILLEGAL" WORKERS.
Level 5

Location hidden

#176 Apr 13, 2013
libertarian4321 wrote:
<quoted text>
That's not what I said.
In this case, it's clear that the people that MATTER- especially wealthy Republicans, want immigration reform.
Democrats want it, rich Republicans want it, most libertarians want it.
The only people digging in their heels and demanding walls with machine guns are the white trash Republicans. And we all know those people don't really count, they are just rabble to be mobilized on election day. Those in power don't really care what they think.
So in this case, change is inevitable. It's only a matter of time. And I guarantee you no real effort will ever be made to "stop" illegal immigration because (I'm going to say it again so it sinks in) THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER DON'T WANT TO STOP THOSE "ILLEGAL" WORKERS.
the only people who don't matter are dead people. and if you keep talking about people like me not mattering, you just might end up "not mattering".

Location hidden

#177 Apr 13, 2013
Asian Guy wrote:
<quoted text>the only people who don't matter are dead people. and if you keep talking about people like me not mattering, you just might end up "not mattering".
I know people don't like hearing they don't matter, but they don't. The fact is, the Republican Party is run by rich white men, not white trash rednecks. Those rich white men tend to have financial interests in businesses, and need a source of cheap, reliable labor- and Mexican immigrants provide much of that labor.

Hence, they may say that they are against immigration reform, but their "opposition" is nothing more than theater to placate the white trash Republicans.

Are you really so naive as to think "beer and Jesus" trailer park Republicans are running the show? Those people are nothing but pawns to be manipulated on election day, they have no say in policy making.

GOP policy is set by rich, old white men meeting behind closed doors, not by beer swilling, Bible thumping yahoos in Arkansas.
Level 5

Location hidden

#178 Apr 13, 2013
libertarian4321 wrote:
<quoted text>
I know people don't like hearing they don't matter, but they don't. The fact is, the Republican Party is run by rich white men, not white trash rednecks. Those rich white men tend to have financial interests in businesses, and need a source of cheap, reliable labor- and Mexican immigrants provide much of that labor.
Hence, they may say that they are against immigration reform, but their "opposition" is nothing more than theater to placate the white trash Republicans.
Are you really so naive as to think "beer and Jesus" trailer park Republicans are running the show? Those people are nothing but pawns to be manipulated on election day, they have no say in policy making.
GOP policy is set by rich, old white men meeting behind closed doors, not by beer swilling, Bible thumping yahoos in Arkansas.
you sound like that traitor McCain.

Location hidden

#181 Apr 13, 2013
Asian Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
you sound like that traitor McCain.
McCain would never tell you the truth, because it's part of his job to do the bidding of the wealthy Republicans while placating the riff-raff Republicans. That's what top GOP politicians do.

I told you the truth. But frankly, you should have been able to figure this out for yourself.

Politics in this country runs on MONEY. Who do you think controls the money in the GOP- the beer swilling "Jesus" guy in the stained white Tshirt? C'mon, most of those people never donate to a campaign, or if they do, it's a few insignificant bucks.

One wealthy Republican can easily donate as much as 1,000,000 or more trailer park Beer and Bible Republicans- those wealthy Republicans are the people in power.

They set the policy, they make the rules, and they want cheap, reliable labor. So that's what we have, and that's what we will continue to get- they will just fix the system so it's a little easier to get that cheap labor.
White man

Houston, TX

#182 Apr 20, 2013
Reform is not going to make things easier for illegals.
It will make it harder then it is.
ima- Ilis Myka Ashanti

El Paso, TX

#183 Apr 20, 2013
Cricket 23 wrote:
<quoted text>
Cesar Chavez and Illegal Aliens
Did you know that Cesar Chavez was not a supporter of illegal immigration?
Did you know that Cesar Chavez, whose name has become synonymous with La Raza and other radical elements, was philosophically quite similar to our modern day Minutemen? That's right! Chavez's opinions on illegal immigration were nearly the same as the Minutemen that have taken on the task of trying to protect our borders from illegal immigration.
Schools in California teach that Cesar Chavez spent a good portion of his life advocating for the rights of farm workers throughout California and the United States. While that's true, what the schools fail to mention is that Cesar Chavez was a vocal opponent of illegal immigration.
On the one hand, he was trying to raise the pay and benefits for farm workers in the United States, but on the other hand, there was a massive influx of illegal immigrants streaming across the southern border of the United States, thus undermining and more or less defeating everything he fought to achieve.
Evidence of Chavez's opposition to illegal immigration abounds in the historical record, such as in his testimony before Congress in 1979 when he blamed the federal government for failing to secure the border.
Ten years earlier, Chavez protested against illegal immigration at the Mexican border, reportedly accompanied by Senator Walter Mondale and Ralph Abernathy, head of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference.
Chavez believedthat illegal immigration would directly impact the prosperity of U.S. farm workers. He was right. Yet, his vision of the effects of illegal immigration didn't even begin to scratch the surface. I'm sure he would have never predicted the dramatic social and economic impact illegal immigration would have on America in general and California in particular.
Wouldn't it be nice if our schools would teach the entire story about Cesar Chavez and not sugarcoat the history lessons that are taught to our kids?
Assemblyman Bob Huff
THANKS, Cricket.....yes if only the schools taught THE ENTIRE stories specially where history is concerned!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Immigration Reform Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Has Donald Trump Already Failed Us? (Nov '16) 20 min For America 12,344
Rose's Pub (Mar '10) 1 hr Agents of Corruption 147,960
News Trump's popularity is slipping in rural America... 3 hr freebird 1,455
News Immigration crackdown prompts farm automation 4 hr tomin cali 1
News Diagnosing Trump: Did America elect a madman? 4 hr swampmudd 306
News For Latino Democrats, fight for 'dreamers' unde... 23 hr Religimongoloid 1
When Does Anti-Immigration Go Too Far? (Sep '15) 23 hr Debt 660
More from around the web