Tensions rise as Latinos feel under s...

Tensions rise as Latinos feel under siege in America's deep south

There are 2343 comments on the Guardian Unlimited story from Aug 21, 2011, titled Tensions rise as Latinos feel under siege in America's deep south. In it, Guardian Unlimited reports that:

As illegal workers flee the threat of police checks, southerners are uniting to fight the laws dividing communities and killing economies which rely on immigrants to thrive Estimates show the shortage of immigrant labour has left so many crops unpicked that it has cost $1bn Photograph: Ric Francis/AP The mobile home that Nancy Lugo and her two ... (more)

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Guardian Unlimited.

First Prev
of 118
Next Last
LOL

De Soto, KS

#1 Aug 21, 2011
Americans in most states have felt under seige due to Latinos. It's about time the table were turned!

Judged:

38

19

14

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“Work hard at work worth doing.”

Level 10

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#2 Aug 21, 2011
What do they expect? They lie, cheat and steal as they steamroll over Americans, negatively impacting American families, and then have the audacity to say that they are "angry". WTF? Their mere presence hurts far more people than they are willing to admit. They are selfish, greedy little cretins, who will destroy this country just as they did to the country they left behind. Frankly, I don't care a fig for what they are feeling, apparently the pressure isn't enough...because they are still here, sucking this country dry.

Judged:

59

52

39

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Whiteguy

United States

#3 Aug 21, 2011
I wish I could line u dumbo people up in a line and do what I want with you.
FLAPATRIOT

Miami, FL

#4 Aug 21, 2011
What a load of pro criminal rubbish...Quote"As illegal workers flee the threat of police checks, southerners are uniting to fight the laws dividing communities and killing economies which rely on immigrants to thrive" Southerners or better yet AMERICANS have united to ensure our nations sovereignty and laws be respected! It was the citizens of these states that voted for governors who said they would do something about ILLEGALS and they were voted into office. Screw the crybaby who relied on an ILLEGAL workforce all these years to make their money.All these scumbag pro amnesty typs complain about greed on Wall Street,well any company that hires ILLEGALS and put their profits above the laws of the United States should be charged with treason.The truth is the ILLEGALS that come here DON'T WANT TO DO THE JOBS BACK HOME FOR THE WAGES PAID THERE and then say the Americans are lazy.And this garbage about them"providing a better life for their family", why is it that when they get here they begin the have a family, does that mean they are comming here to provide a better life for a family they didn't have when they crossed the border ILLEGALLY. And if any of those children get benefits that are paid for by the US TAXPAYER then it is not them providing a better life for their family it is the US TAXPAYER that is providing a better life for them while also trying to provide for their own families.

Judged:

22

21

9

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Level 4

Since: Mar 08

Wallingford, CT

#5 Aug 21, 2011
Of course it is a standard of living issue. Every single immigrant since 1776 came here looking for a better life, including the families of all of us writing our stupid, uninformed comments in Topix.

We canot know the situations of even five or six of the millions of undocumented immigrants in the US. But we group them all in a single packages, as if everyone in NY City, Chicago and Los Angeles *about the same number of people* is the same.

The trouble is the laws need reform, which will never happen with the Congress. The penalty for crossing a border illegally is a fine of $50-$250 which is less than most speeding tickets.

And there is no way for them to become legal. Well, they can marry a citizen if they did not cross a border illegally. Other than that they need to return to their home country, wait ten years, then apply for an immigration lottery. Most of the countries with the most undocumented citizens, however, are not eligible for the lottery.

The trouble is our laws, and they will not change. It is like the Prohibition. People will find a way, and until the laws change, people will continue being illegal.

But don't suggest they have another option to become legal. There is none. It is like trying to arrest everyone who drank during prohibition, or drove 56 in a 55 zone.

Judged:

13

13

8

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Point taken

Albuquerque, NM

#6 Aug 21, 2011
So why is it they won't come here legally on a work visa?
Point taken

Albuquerque, NM

#7 Aug 21, 2011
We have lots of unemployed on welfare, put them to work picking the crops so they earn that welfare check for a change.

Judged:

13

10

5

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Level 4

Since: Mar 08

Wallingford, CT

#8 Aug 21, 2011
Because getting a legal work visa requires finding an employer sponsor who needs to show the immigrant is able to do something no American do.

Agricultural workers have specific entrance and exit dates. Many overstay the visas, of course, and that is one why we get undocuments immigrants.

Level 4

Since: Mar 08

Wallingford, CT

#9 Aug 21, 2011
Point taken wrote:
We have lots of unemployed on welfare, put them to work picking the crops so they earn that welfare check for a change.
That didn't work in Georgia this year. It is difficult to force people to work in 104 degree sunshine even for piece work that pays an average of $14/hour.

The jobs are open to anyone, no documentation required. Want a job?
PSL

Port Saint Lucie, FL

#10 Aug 21, 2011
How ironic. Americans have been under seize by illegal Latino's for years. Just ask our welfare coffers.
PSL

Port Saint Lucie, FL

#11 Aug 21, 2011
compx2 wrote:
Of course it is a standard of living issue. Every single immigrant since 1776 came here looking for a better life, including the families of all of us writing our stupid, uninformed comments in Topix.
We canot know the situations of even five or six of the millions of undocumented immigrants in the US. But we group them all in a single packages, as if everyone in NY City, Chicago and Los Angeles *about the same number of people* is the same.
The trouble is the laws need reform, which will never happen with the Congress. The penalty for crossing a border illegally is a fine of $50-$250 which is less than most speeding tickets.
And there is no way for them to become legal. Well, they can marry a citizen if they did not cross a border illegally. Other than that they need to return to their home country, wait ten years, then apply for an immigration lottery. Most of the countries with the most undocumented citizens, however, are not eligible for the lottery.
The trouble is our laws, and they will not change. It is like the Prohibition. People will find a way, and until the laws change, people will continue being illegal.
But don't suggest they have another option to become legal. There is none. It is like trying to arrest everyone who drank during prohibition, or drove 56 in a 55 zone.
There comes a time when the inn is full. Doesn't matter what immigration was happening when our nation was young. Just like the family that stops have children because they can't afford more. Same principal with a country. Can you understand that?
STOP IMMIGRATION INDEFINITELY

Level 4

Since: Mar 08

Wallingford, CT

#12 Aug 21, 2011
Why should the country stop growing? Environmental concerns? If so we need to stop other countries from spoiling the earth as well as ourselves, and that is hardly an immigration issue.

Economic concerns? If the Inn if full the staff can get rich building a new Inn. Economies grow in only two ways, increased productivity or expanding markets. Immigration expands the market.

Our children cost us more money, but increase our resources over time. I wouldn't give up a single one of my children. But the family down the block just had a baby. Should we make a law against that as well
Keith

Las Vegas, NV

#13 Aug 21, 2011
If in fact there is a labor shortage in the fields it must be caused by the migrants walking off the fields and infiltrating American cities.
If the migrants don't want to work the fields they only need to run to their local consulate and ask for help in raping the American taxpayer.
PSL

Port Saint Lucie, FL

#14 Aug 21, 2011
compx2 wrote:
Why should the country stop growing? Environmental concerns? If so we need to stop other countries from spoiling the earth as well as ourselves, and that is hardly an immigration issue.
Economic concerns? If the Inn if full the staff can get rich building a new Inn. Economies grow in only two ways, increased productivity or expanding markets. Immigration expands the market.
Our children cost us more money, but increase our resources over time. I wouldn't give up a single one of my children. But the family down the block just had a baby. Should we make a law against that as well
Sweetie is has nothing to do with building another inn, but everything to do with SUPPORTING. Get it?

Level 5

Since: Sep 09

Location hidden

#15 Aug 21, 2011
compx2 wrote:
Because getting a legal work visa requires finding an employer sponsor who needs to show the immigrant is able to do something no American do.
Agricultural workers have specific entrance and exit dates. Many overstay the visas, of course, and that is one why we get undocuments immigrants.
'Undocumented immigrant' is such a rude label-why not 'uninvited visitor'? Or perhaps 'future Democrat'?

Level 5

Since: Sep 09

Location hidden

#16 Aug 21, 2011
compx2 wrote:
Why should the country stop growing? Environmental concerns? If so we need to stop other countries from spoiling the earth as well as ourselves, and that is hardly an immigration issue.
Economic concerns? If the Inn if full the staff can get rich building a new Inn. Economies grow in only two ways, increased productivity or expanding markets. Immigration expands the market.
Our children cost us more money, but increase our resources over time. I wouldn't give up a single one of my children. But the family down the block just had a baby. Should we make a law against that as well
America already has an entrenched lower-socio-economic class;why would you add yet more people to that demographic? Hispanics have the highest high school drop-out rate of any ethnicity,even into the third generation.Do some research-a lack of a hs diploma is a concrete indicator of social pathologies such as dependence on govt. programs,incarceration and high rates of out-of-wedlock births.

Level 4

Since: Mar 08

Wallingford, CT

#17 Aug 21, 2011
If I understood your concerns I would answer them. No I don't "get it". Support what? You think our economy is better without growth? That we can support our Inn if less people come to it? That if the Inn is half full that is better than being full?
Point taken

Albuquerque, NM

#18 Aug 21, 2011
copperpossum wrote:
<quoted text>
'Undocumented immigrant' is such a rude label-why not 'uninvited visitor'? Or perhaps 'future Democrat'?
Or how about 'frigging criminal POS'?
LMAO

Saint Louis, MO

#19 Aug 21, 2011
Whiteguy wrote:
I wish I could line u dumbo people up in a line and do what I want with you.
Hold your breath too, will you?

“Work hard at work worth doing.”

Level 10

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#20 Aug 21, 2011
compx2 wrote:
If I understood your concerns I would answer them. No I don't "get it". Support what? You think our economy is better without growth? That we can support our Inn if less people come to it? That if the Inn is half full that is better than being full?
What growth? Half of the country is living off the government. Illegals given amensty will still make peanuts, and because of all the kids they have dropped while here, will claim so many dependents, that they will still not contribute a dime into the tax coffers. Living several families in a single family abode, sending seven kids to the local school, is a joke. In no way do they pay their fair share for anything, and probably never will.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 118
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Immigration Reform Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Federal Data Show Surge in Illegals Caught at U... 3 min Three Days 1
News How Trump broke the rules of modern politics, a... 18 min ima-Ilis Myka Ash... 1
News Anti-Trump protests break out again in California 35 min Quirky 14
Rose's Pub (Mar '10) 1 hr D Valens 140,925
News Twice convicted and deported illegal alien arre... 2 hr wild child 6
News Republicans downplay Trump rally unrest in Cali... 2 hr Old Surfer Dude 327
News 87 Percent Of Illegal Immigrants Are On Welfare 2 hr Memo From Turner 18
More from around the web