Some Republicans begin pressing case ...

Some Republicans begin pressing case on need for immigration changes

There are 211 comments on the The Washington Post story from Jan 18, 2013, titled Some Republicans begin pressing case on need for immigration changes. In it, The Washington Post reports that:

A growing number of Republicans and conservative groups have begun pushing for comprehensive immigration changes on the eve of President Obama's inauguration, joining liberal Democrats in hopes of propelling the politically fraught issue forward early in his second term.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Washington Post.

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#146 Jan 22, 2013
Independent wrote:
<quoted text>"They work their asses off. They show up at 8, take about a 15 minute lunch, and stay till dark" so you are proud of working them like slaves? I guess it doesn't have anything to do with cheap labor either.
Hard work isn't "slavery." You ought to learn the difference.

Are you really so foolish that you don't know the difference between someone forced into slavery and someone who freely chooses to work for a wage?

"U.S. Immigration Law
Title 8 Section 1325
It is a crime crime to harbor, hide, encourage and transport any foreign national (illegal alien) who has illegally entered this nation."

WRONG WRONG WRONG!

Are you an idiot? Anyone with a computer and 10 seconds of free time can look this up and see that 8 USC 1325 does not say what you say it says.

Here's the law. Try again, Skippy.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/8/1325

“Headed toward the cliff”

Level 1

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#147 Jan 22, 2013
libertarian4321 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yup.
I'm a white guy who grew up without a lot of money. I lived in a small town in upstate NY that was almost 100% white. There were a lot of dumpy houses there, as well as a lot that were well maintained.
It's got nothing to do with race- some people take care of their houses (my father did) and others don't (the house next door was a dump)- even though both families were lower middle (or maybe "upper lower") class whites.
Hmmmm, I've been looking at moving to the Watertown area of NY for the fishing & recreating & to be closer to a military base for my retired benefits. Like I really need to go even FARTHER north!

Level 1

Tawas City, Michigan

#148 Jan 22, 2013
Independent wrote:
<quoted text>Gay marriage was legal 26 years ago?
I never said it was. So in addition to being a racist you're stupid as well? Not that I'm suprised.

Level 1

Tawas City, Michigan

#149 Jan 22, 2013
Dee Dee Dee wrote:
<quoted text>
You are clueless. You remind me of every other pro-illegal. If somebody disagrees with the party line they are racist.
I believe in evolution in not only the organic but everything even in society. Mankind has evolved to understand the concept of freedom, liberty and equality. Looking around the world it is obvious that not all of mankind has grasped the importance of equality, freedom and liberty. Even here it has taken over 200 years to evolve the concept of equality from “all white men who own property are equal” to “all men and women are equal”. We have succeeded in making legal changes to assure equality but like anything else in the world there are unforeseen consequences to forcing evolution. I oppose putting one group above another no matter how noble the intention.
As for the gene pool mixing for millennia that is not true. Until a just a few decades ago the majority of all the people on earth never encountered a person of another race in their lifetime let alone reproduced with them. Not that it is a bad thing it just rarely happened. There are areas of the world even today where people do not wed outside of their village. They can actually be punished under law for straying outside of their village for a mate.
Then you should be able to recognize that simply getting rid of discriminatory laws does not magically correct the effects of generations of institutionalized discrimination.

A color blind world is the ideal, but until we correct for past injustices by ensuring people aren't still living with the lingering effects of that, we won't truly have the same opportunity to succeed.

That starts with changing how we fund our public eduational system. Without the same access to a quality education, there will always be economic disparities- for minorities as well as whites.
Independent

Winchester, IN

#150 Jan 22, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
I never said it was. So in addition to being a racist you're stupid as well? Not that I'm suprised.
So how have you been married to a man for 26 years when it was not legal? don't ask don't tell.
...by the way,explain what I have said that was raciest.
Independent

Winchester, IN

#151 Jan 22, 2013
libertarian4321 wrote:
<quoted text>
Hard work isn't "slavery." You ought to learn the difference.
Are you really so foolish that you don't know the difference between someone forced into slavery and someone who freely chooses to work for a wage?
"U.S. Immigration Law
Title 8 Section 1325
It is a crime crime to harbor, hide, encourage and transport any foreign national (illegal alien) who has illegally entered this nation."
WRONG WRONG WRONG!
Are you an idiot? Anyone with a computer and 10 seconds of free time can look this up and see that 8 USC 1325 does not say what you say it says.
Here's the law. Try again, Skippy.
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/8/1325
Hard labor my ass, sun up to sun down, 15min lunch break, that's slavery, why not pay legal Americans, because you can get this cheap labor by exploiting these poor humans, are you one of these low life's who wait in front of Home Depot to take advantage of these poor souls. you knowingly hire illegal aliens and act as though you know nothing.
Anonymous

Reno, NV

#152 Jan 22, 2013
Ya start arresting American citizens who aid them

Location hidden

#153 Jan 22, 2013
Independent wrote:
<quoted text>Hard labor my ass, sun up to sun down, 15min lunch break, that's slavery, why not pay legal Americans, because you can get this cheap labor by exploiting these poor humans, are you one of these low life's who wait in front of Home Depot to take advantage of these poor souls. you knowingly hire illegal aliens and act as though you know nothing.
You must be lazy, so you think hard work done voluntarily is "slavery." Also, "sun up" is earlier than 8 AM. I guess your laziness extends to not getting up early enough to know that.

Slavery is bondage. It's one person owning another. The slave master controlling every aspect of the slave's life. Able to determine life, death and punishment over the slave.

I am talking about two persons FREELY engaging in a contract. I hire the person and offer to pay him a wage for certain work to be performed. Either of us is free to end that relationship at any time.

That is not "slavery"- and even someone as physically- and intellectually lazy as yourself knows it.

BTW, on some occasions, I have to clear these guys out. I'm not standing over them telling them to work- they do so because they know the faster they finish, the faster they get paid.

That's the difference between hard working immigrants and lazy people like yourself who think they are "owed" a wage whether they perform or not.

And you wonder why I'd hire hard working Mexicans (or Mexican Americans) over a lazy American like yourself?

I know that all Americans aren't as lazy as you are, but these days, too many are- they show up late, expect breaks every hour or so, take a long lunch, then start packing up to leave at 3 PM for a 4 PM departure. A job that could be done in one day extends into a 2 or 3-day job.

No, thanks.

BTW, the crew working here today finished the fence early and did a great job. When they were done, the crew chief suggested that my deck could use some minor repairs. We negotiated a price. I offered them an extra $40 cash if they got done today (only because I won't be here early in the morning tomorrow). They're working so hard, they'll probably be done before 5.

They get paid a days wages plus a little bonus, they will have enough money to send back to their families, their company makes money, their suppliers make money, and I get good work done in a timely manner for a good price. Works out well for everyone.

Location hidden

#154 Jan 22, 2013
Independent wrote:
<quoted text> you one of these low life's who wait in front of Home Depot to take advantage of these poor souls. you knowingly hire illegal aliens and act as though you know nothing.
BTW, I don't go to Home Depot. Too much trouble and not very effective unless all you require is simple manual labor. I sure as Hell wouldn't just grab a guy from Home Depot if I needed a skilled mason or carpenter.

The way things get done down here is that someone like me hires a contractor (often a white guy, btw, but not always). The contractor then procures the crew he needs- it's up to him to find guys with the right skill set, transport them, equip them, pay them, etc. I don't have time for all that crap.
Lepor

Ames, IA

#155 Jan 22, 2013
FightIllegalAlienInvaders wrote:
Ya start arresting American citizens who aid them
What about the businesses who hire them?
The landlords tha rent to them?
The doctors who treat them.?
The teachers who teach the kids?
Arrest them all!!!!

Level 1

Tawas City, Michigan

#156 Jan 22, 2013
Independent wrote:
<quoted text>So how have you been married to a man for 26 years when it was not legal? don't ask don't tell.
...by the way,explain what I have said that was raciest.
Really? You can't figure that one out on our own? Isn't it all the religious zealots who keep saying marriage is controlled by the church and not the government?

Yes, I've been married for 26+ years even though same-sex couple have only been able to legally marry since 2004.

Now try again.
Independent

Winchester, IN

#157 Jan 22, 2013
libertarian4321 wrote:
<quoted text>
You must be lazy, so you think hard work done voluntarily is "slavery." Also, "sun up" is earlier than 8 AM. I guess your laziness extends to not getting up early enough to know that.
Slavery is bondage. It's one person owning another. The slave master controlling every aspect of the slave's life. Able to determine life, death and punishment over the slave.
I am talking about two persons FREELY engaging in a contract. I hire the person and offer to pay him a wage for certain work to be performed. Either of us is free to end that relationship at any time.
That is not "slavery"- and even someone as physically- and intellectually lazy as yourself knows it.
BTW, on some occasions, I have to clear these guys out. I'm not standing over them telling them to work- they do so because they know the faster they finish, the faster they get paid.
That's the difference between hard working immigrants and lazy people like yourself who think they are "owed" a wage whether they perform or not.
And you wonder why I'd hire hard working Mexicans (or Mexican Americans) over a lazy American like yourself?
I know that all Americans aren't as lazy as you are, but these days, too many are- they show up late, expect breaks every hour or so, take a long lunch, then start packing up to leave at 3 PM for a 4 PM departure. A job that could be done in one day extends into a 2 or 3-day job.
No, thanks.
BTW, the crew working here today finished the fence early and did a great job. When they were done, the crew chief suggested that my deck could use some minor repairs. We negotiated a price. I offered them an extra $40 cash if they got done today (only because I won't be here early in the morning tomorrow). They're working so hard, they'll probably be done before 5.
They get paid a days wages plus a little bonus, they will have enough money to send back to their families, their company makes money, their suppliers make money, and I get good work done in a timely manner for a good price. Works out well for everyone.
Paying them chump change is viewed as modern day slavery, same thing they do in China, WOW a little bonus to get them out of your hair, you lazy ass build your own fence, stop exploiting people.
Independent

Winchester, IN

#158 Jan 22, 2013
libertarian4321 wrote:
<quoted text>
BTW, I don't go to Home Depot. Too much trouble and not very effective unless all you require is simple manual labor. I sure as Hell wouldn't just grab a guy from Home Depot if I needed a skilled mason or carpenter.
The way things get done down here is that someone like me hires a contractor (often a white guy, btw, but not always). The contractor then procures the crew he needs- it's up to him to find guys with the right skill set, transport them, equip them, pay them, etc. I don't have time for all that crap.
You know what they are bringing, I personally would tell them not to bring illegal aliens and if I found out I would contact ICE at 1-866-347-2423.
" often a white guy" I would say most contractors are white since Caucasians make up over 70% of the population, but I would prefer a well respected contractor regardless of race, as long they are legal.

Location hidden

#159 Jan 22, 2013
Independent wrote:
<quoted text>Paying them chump change is viewed as modern day slavery, same thing they do in China, WOW a little bonus to get them out of your hair, you lazy ass build your own fence, stop exploiting people.
You can repeat the mantra as often as you like, but that doesn't change the fact that you are wrong.

You are intellectually lazy or just not very bright (probably both) if you think "slavery" and "voluntarily doing hard work for low wages" are the same thing.

Now I'm going to give you a little lesson in finance re your "Do it yourself" comment.

Fixing the fence on my own is something I might have done 25 years ago when I was young and poor and not making good money. However now it simply would not be worth my time to do so now.

They do this kind of thing every day and are faster and better at it because of their expertise. In addition, they have all the right tools and supplies needed. On top of that, this kind of work is done more quickly in 2-man teams, so a single worker would be less efficient. Plus, they have better tools than I do- which would mean I would have had too use less efficient tools (or I would have had to spend money to buy tools). These guys are also a lot younger than I am (and therefore able to work faster at a manual labor job). Given these factors, Therefore, I estimate doing the job would have taken me about 8-10 days to complete.

I estimate the supplies (lumber, etc) would have cost me about ~$1,200 (the contractor probably paid less- but that's what it would have cost me doing the job as a "one-off." I paid about $2,000 for the job.

So in other words, I paid about $800 for their labor. Lets say I make a nice roundish number like $50/hour (its actually more, but if I told you what I really make, you'd get pissed) consulting.

To do the job myself, I would have had to spend ~80 hours cutting wood and driving screws.

That means I would have had to give up 80 hours and $4,000 in consulting income in order to "do it myself."

This way, I get the fence installed, it gets installed faster, I provided a job for 4 other people, and I effectively gain $3,200 in the process. In addition, I was able to get a couple of engineering documents relating to an environmental clean up project reviewed ahead of schedule, which will allow work to start faster on a clean up project- providing jobs to American workers.

It works out better for everyone- the fence workers get paid, their company gets paid, I get paid, my clients get their work on time, the clean up crew starts getting paid faster. No one got "exploited"- if I hadn't hired those workers, they likely would not have been paid at all today.

You should have been able to figure most of this out yourself if you had an even slightly analytical mind.

I guess the fact that I was able to understand this, and you were not, explains why I'm wealthy and you are not.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance...
Independent

Winchester, IN

#160 Jan 22, 2013
"Voluntarily doing hard work for low wages " yeah that's what you're doing, unlawfully hiring illegal aliens to line your pockets, greedy people like you is why our country is being invaded, if the work would dry up they would go home and maybe try to come here the legal way.
Billy Ringo

New York, NY

#161 Jan 22, 2013
Independent wrote:
"Voluntarily doing hard work for low wages " yeah that's what you're doing, unlawfully hiring illegal aliens to line your pockets, greedy people like you is why our country is being invaded, if the work would dry up they would go home and maybe try to come here the legal way.
Yeah, they would self deport themselves. Just like Etchy said.

Location hidden

#162 Jan 22, 2013
Independent wrote:
There is nothing unlawful about it- that's the beauty of the system.

As a homeowner, I didn't hire the workers, I hired the contractor, who is American. He goes out and hires the workers. As the homeowner, I am not required to ascertain the immigration status of every worker that the contractor hires- that's his problem, not mine.

I don't ask the contractor if the workers are "legal" and he doesn't tell (and frankly, I don't care). That's the way business gets done around here- every day, all day long- in businesses both large and small.
Independent

Winchester, IN

#163 Jan 23, 2013
libertarian4321 wrote:
<quoted text>
There is nothing unlawful about it- that's the beauty of the system.
As a homeowner, I didn't hire the workers, I hired the contractor, who is American. He goes out and hires the workers. As the homeowner, I am not required to ascertain the immigration status of every worker that the contractor hires- that's his problem, not mine.
I don't ask the contractor if the workers are "legal" and he doesn't tell (and frankly, I don't care). That's the way business gets done around here- every day, all day long- in businesses both large and small.
Keep telling yourself that if it makes you fill better.

“Hillary, thirty years of lying”

Level 3

Since: Nov 08

Paris

#164 Jan 23, 2013
Lepor wrote:
<quoted text>
Since they are already coming here, and they can find work, they are already needed.
Most of our money was lost while W was trying to build new nations in the Middle-East.
Have another kool-aid, try the hemlock flavor this time.

“Hillary, thirty years of lying”

Level 3

Since: Nov 08

Paris

#165 Jan 23, 2013
Billy Ringo wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, they would self deport themselves. Just like Etchy said.
TV Ratings Down Substantially...

Jarrett Compares Obama to Lincoln... What a joke. Maybe Fidel.

GALLUP: American Optimism Hits Lowest Point Since Carter

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Immigration Reform Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Rose's Pub (Mar '10) 46 min Naked Truth 147,593
Has Donald Trump Already Failed Us? (Nov '16) 1 hr Sharrp Shooter 11,223
News Trump's popularity is slipping in rural America... 2 hr OneWomynRiot 427
News Trump Must Keep His Promise: Repeal DACA 3 hr zooperdoooseyou 237
News DACA recipients question future 7 hr Katrina 297
News Jeff Sessions claims sanctuary city policies 'e... 8 hr liberals suck 29
News Illegal immigration a hot topic at lieutenant g... 10 hr spytheweb 1
More from around the web