Some Republicans begin pressing case on need for immigration changes

Jan 18, 2013 Full story: The Washington Post 211

A growing number of Republicans and conservative groups have begun pushing for comprehensive immigration changes on the eve of President Obama's inauguration, joining liberal Democrats in hopes of propelling the politically fraught issue forward early in his second term.

Full Story
Billy Ringo

Rego Park, NY

#65 Jan 20, 2013
Omar the Buddhists wrote:
<quoted text>
GAO report: US on ‘unsustainable long-term fiscal path’
Posted on January 19, 2013 by Conservative Byte
Read more: http://conservativebyte.com/2013/01/gao-repor...
'Unsustainable'- you are describing the Rethuglican Party.

When your Party goes to a "retreat" and has to hire motivational speakers to teach you how to communictae with minorities and women - you are in deep brown water.
Responsibility

San Mateo, CA

#66 Jan 20, 2013
Hispanic America wrote:
<quoted text>
If I were you... learn Spanish before they force you to.
Some of these folks should learn their first language before tackling something harder than that! LOLL

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#67 Jan 20, 2013
californio wrote:
I am all for Immigration reform now and believe we need to roll out the red carpet to them.
Mexico economy is growing at over the twice the rate of the USA( Mexico growth rate is 3.9% compared to USA 1.8%) under Obama and wages are increasing in Mexico and going down in the USA..
With 4 more years of Obama we Yankees are going to be sneaking across the Rio Grande into Mexico searching for a better life
if you look that ecomony is do to our businesses going there while bringing our own down to their level. thanks to nafta. now if we tax everything form those x American companies high enough the tables would turn as they should when their products come here.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Level 1

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#68 Jan 20, 2013
spytheweb wrote:
The problem is not changes, the problem is once the changes are made, who's going to enforce them. After the 1986 amnesty there was not any enforcement and the fraud was rampant.
Right now no one's talking about enforcement. Making sure people stay within the rules. The Obama government has shown that they do not intend to enforce current law, what happens when the flood gates are open?
If the republicans make a deal i hope it involves making all illegal aliens citizens in exchange of closing down the birthright loophole, no more illegal aliens being born US citizens.
By the end of the century we can not support a population of 700 or 800 million. There will be no social safety nets, 60-70 students to a classroom, ones who can speak English, hospitals closed down, no jobs and unemployment out of sight and crime, crime will be everywhere. We will just be another 3rd world banana republic.
The GOPasaurs never did anything about stopping illegal immigration before, what makes you think they will now? Especially since they finally may be realizing they'll never get a majority of the Hispanic vote that way?

Btw, I agree about getting rid of birthright citizenship, but that should apply to ALL people born in America. Everyone born on US soil should be given temporary resident status until they turn 18 and then have to earn their citizenship, in part by performing 2 years of public service. Maybe that would do something about that sense of entitlement too many Americans have.
freebird

Long Beach, CA

#69 Jan 20, 2013
Hispanic America wrote:
<quoted text>
South America has been advancing exponentially in all industries ever since they formally adopted capitalism into their respective Countries. You obviously live in some trailer park bubble to make such an uneducated assessment of South America.
It's all in the eyes of the beholder. You can polish a turd all you want, but in the end it's still a turd. It's the culture and mentality that makes a 3rd world country. Look at most of the Hispanic neighborhoods in LA and Orange county. Prime locations but...
freebird

Long Beach, CA

#70 Jan 20, 2013
Hispanic America wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe you should move back to Europe then.
You mean where your ancestors came from? ROTFLMAO@U!!! Look what your ancestors did with the Americas.

“"One for the claws"”

Level 6

Since: Jul 10

Sin City,U.S.A.

#71 Jan 20, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Who said I did?
These people are coming to America for the same reason our ancestors all came here; to make a better life for themselves and their famlies. People said the same about the Irish or the Poles or the Italians etc.
Yes, many hispanics are coming illegally, bfd. Much of that has to do with our immigration policy having a Euro-preference- i.e white people, with limited legal immigration for Central & South America origins. At other times in our history we limited immigration from Asian countries, but we ALWAYS maintained our preference for European immigrants.
We also happen to share a long land border with a much poorer nation.
For whatever reason, they're here and they're not going back. Personally I've seen no difference between an "illegal" immigrant and any other immigrant- they all want to be Americans. They're not trying to turn America into Mexico- that's why they left Mexico in the first place.
You wrote-"They're not trying to turn America into Mexico-" Well they seem to be doing one heck of a job without trying to change the US into Mexico. Have you ever been to any areas where Mexicans or Hispanics congregate. They turn those areas into dumps. They get a nice home and in a very short time its in total disrepair. They don't seem to know how to maintain anything. Garbage is all over the front and back yards. Broken pieces of plywood and other wood. Broken appliances that they can't repair. Broken shovels and other implements. Cars on blocks that they haven't a clue how to repair or if they are even repairable. They bring that third world mentality here and they don't lose it.
ronnie

Brigham City, UT

#72 Jan 20, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
You'll get over it, just as those who hate the Irish and the Italians and the Poles and the Germans and the Japanese all got over it eventually too; or they finally died and put us out of their misery.
Over 50% of all US CITIZENS BORN IN AMERICA last year were NON-WHITE. By 2040 or sooner whites will be just another minority in America.
There's nothing you can do about it.
Get over what? Excuse filth to invade a law abiding nation. And racism has nothing to do with anything. I'm color blind. I simply cannot believe any intelligent functioning Government would want deliberate theft of the Constitution and the rule of Law that our Founder's lived and died for. Not one greasy Mexican that I've ever known, has added one decent plus to America. Every town, City and State that has been overrun by these leeches, has gone broke, good hardworking tax payers run from, business that actually add a tax base to the wealth of this Nation running out of Mexiifornia as fast as they can. And the theft that dominates their Culture, has given me lot's of reasons to decide, they have to go. Ruin this Nation and then where the hell do you plan to run to next. Find another Country to debase. Just get the flock out...

Level 1

Tawas City, Michigan

#73 Jan 20, 2013
The Sin City Cat wrote:
<quoted text>You wrote-"They're not trying to turn America into Mexico-" Well they seem to be doing one heck of a job without trying to change the US into Mexico. Have you ever been to any areas where Mexicans or Hispanics congregate. They turn those areas into dumps. They get a nice home and in a very short time its in total disrepair. They don't seem to know how to maintain anything. Garbage is all over the front and back yards. Broken pieces of plywood and other wood. Broken appliances that they can't repair. Broken shovels and other implements. Cars on blocks that they haven't a clue how to repair or if they are even repairable. They bring that third world mentality here and they don't lose it.
Sounds like most of poor white Appalachia!

Gee, could it have more to do with poverty than race??

Btw, I lived in primarily hispanic neighborhoods in south Texas for years and they looked about the same as any other neighborhood of a similar economic status regardless of ethnic background. I've also lived in some very poor nearly all white neighborhoods which look like the 3rd world countries you've described. Oh, and I've also lived in some ACTUAL 3rd world countries and seen the same thing regardless of ethnicity.

Only a racist would presume their race or ethnicity is the cause.....

Level 1

Tawas City, Michigan

#74 Jan 20, 2013
ronnie wrote:
<quoted text>Get over what? Excuse filth to invade a law abiding nation. And racism has nothing to do with anything. I'm color blind. I simply cannot believe any intelligent functioning Government would want deliberate theft of the Constitution and the rule of Law that our Founder's lived and died for. Not one greasy Mexican that I've ever known, has added one decent plus to America. Every town, City and State that has been overrun by these leeches, has gone broke, good hardworking tax payers run from, business that actually add a tax base to the wealth of this Nation running out of Mexiifornia as fast as they can. And the theft that dominates their Culture, has given me lot's of reasons to decide, they have to go. Ruin this Nation and then where the hell do you plan to run to next. Find another Country to debase. Just get the flock out...
Oh yeah, you're color blind alright........

I spent 20+ years defending our country to keep it a beacon of hope to those seeking to make a better life for themselves and their families.

I don't care HOW they got here.
Cat74

Schaumburg, IL

#75 Jan 20, 2013
Former President Clinton said today all this Obama talk about gun grabbing is breathing fresh life into the Taxed Enough Already group. Plus, as Democrats already painfully remember, when they banned weapons in 1994 they lost the House for the first time in 40 years. You would think they would learn not to be so stupid.

“"One for the claws"”

Level 6

Since: Jul 10

Sin City,U.S.A.

#76 Jan 20, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Btw, I lived in primarily hispanic neighborhoods in south Texas for years and they looked about the same as any other neighborhood of a similar economic status regardless of ethnic background. I've also lived in some very poor nearly all white neighborhoods which look like the 3rd world countries you've described. Oh, and I've also lived in some ACTUAL 3rd world countries and seen the same thing regardless of ethnicity.
Another who thinks Mexican or Hispanic is a race. It appears having lots of trash around one's home is considered a status symbol amongst the lower class in Mexico. I lived in Las Vegas for over 16 years. I've been to the so-called poor neighborhoods. Black, white ,Asian, Mexican. Only Mexicans seemed to have an affinity for collecting trash. I used to watch Mexicans going through various neighborhoods the day before trash collection going through other people's garbage. They would take things you couldn't imagine anyone having a use for. Someone could put out a worn-out,beat-up.body secretion stained mattress and they would take it. YUCH!!! Forget any notion of recycling. Most of what they collected had very little if any recycle value. It would just end up in their back yards where it would stay.
Independent

Rushville, IN

#77 Jan 20, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh yeah, you're color blind alright........
I spent 20+ years defending our country to keep it a beacon of hope to those seeking to make a better life for themselves and their families.
I don't care HOW they got here.
Oh looky, we have another fake soldier like the topix jester Patty, these kooks are really getting desperate for someone to believe them,LMAO!

Level 1

Since: Jan 13

Charlotte, NC

#78 Jan 21, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
We have term limits in Michigan, and it hasn't made a bit of difference in the dsyfunction in Lansing.
The only thing term limits do in increase the number of legislators eligible for a lifetime pension & benefits, since they qualify after as few as 5 years in office. It's not a coincidence most term limit legislation is SIX or EIGHT years.
I'd rather have 1 crook in office for 60 years and die shortly after retiring, than 10 crooks in the same office- each getting a long lifetime pension & benefits after their 6 years are up.
It's not the politicians as much as it's the system.
You know, I never even considered that. Great point. Thanks for the enlightenment. Now I have to review the idea. Appeciate that.

Level 3

Since: Nov 08

Paris

#79 Jan 21, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Is their a group like RAZA or the NAACP in Appalachia pushing an agenda. No, just americans trying to get by, because Their President is trying to destroy their lives with his war on Coal. Obama takes the taxes they pay and gives it to illegals and loafers to do his bidding.

Level 3

Paris

#80 Jan 21, 2013
Cat74 wrote:
Former President Clinton said today all this Obama talk about gun grabbing is breathing fresh life into the Taxed Enough Already group. Plus, as Democrats already painfully remember, when they banned weapons in 1994 they lost the House for the first time in 40 years. You would think they would learn not to be so stupid.
Liberals or Marxist if you prefer are still trying to prove the peoples paridise will work. Liberals = Insanity.
conservative crapola

Allentown, PA

#81 Jan 21, 2013
Le Jimbo wrote:
<quoted text>
Obama Must 'Destroy' the GOP, Says CBS' Political Director

Why? They're doing a hell-of-a-job themselves.

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Level 2

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#82 Jan 21, 2013
You have to agree Obama has a great plan for dealing with illegal immigration.
By crashing the USA economy and making the USA a cesspool Immigrants are going to flee the USA and no one is going to want to come here. What an ingenious plan.

Level 3

Paris

#83 Jan 21, 2013
Billy Ringo wrote:
<quoted text>'Unsustainable'- you are describing the Rethuglican Party.

When your Party goes to a "retreat" and has to hire motivational speakers to teach you how to communictae with minorities and women - you are in deep brown water.
When you inaugurate a man and he has to use 8000 police, two hundred SS, snipers on roof tops and tanks to ride in, he can't be too sure he is right.

Level 3

Paris

#84 Jan 21, 2013
Responsibility wrote:
<quoted text>Some of these folks should learn their first language before tackling something harder than that! LOLL
How do you speak treason? You should be fluent.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Immigration Reform Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Zoeller: Congress must fix broken immigrationa 6 hr itsme2 4
Rose's Pub (Mar '10) 6 hr Patriciapink 137,135
Poll: Bush surges to 2016 GOP frontrunner 7 hr Your Ex 22
New Congress may move swiftly to raise H-1B cap 8 hr itsme2 11
Graham: 2016 hinges on immigration 9 hr spud 7
64% of Utahns disapprove of Obama's immigration... 10 hr ronnie 10
Detente spawns Cuban worry on US migration rights 10 hr TimeForTheCastros... 2
More from around the web