A new thread not Created by POS or an...
U Can Run But U Cant Hide

San Bernardino, CA

#150 Apr 28, 2013
Salon.com Story Lamely Claims 'Gross Exaggeration' In MRC Research on Obama, Reverend Wright

By Tim Graham | April 27, 2013 | 18:19

Sometimes, the left simply can’t argue against hard facts. In a book excerpt warning of the “resurgent right” on Salon.com , leftist Lee Fang accused Brent Bozell of “gross exaggeration” in describing media apathy on Obama scandals.

Fang reported that in a speech at the Council for National Policy in February 2009, Bozell claimed by the time the national networks ran "a single story on Reverend Wright, 42 states and the District of Columbia had voted." Dear Mr. Fang: please identify the exaggeration in that fact.

Our research clearly found the first story with Wright sermon soundbites aired on ABC on March 13, 2008. By then, 42 states and the District of Columbia had already voted. The story came too late to damage someone almost no one in the media wanted to damage.

Fang somehow thinks this fact is refuted by what came after that.“According to a search of transcripts supplied by Nexis, the major networks ABC, CBS and NBC ran at least a combined 57 segments or mentions of Obama's controversial pastor Rev. Jeremiah Wright well before November.”

Not only is this claim irrelevant to the charge of “exaggeration” of our claim, but counting “mentions” is something you do when you want to give the networks your most generous nod (as we sometimes do). Blurring them in with full stories can make the amount of coverage sound....exaggerated.

We’ve never claimed the Reverend Wright story was never covered. We have claimed it was covered in a way that tried to extricate Obama from any political damage. Here are some of the study findings we offered in 2008:

Read more: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/tim-graham/2013/...

Level 8

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#151 Apr 28, 2013
Jaxxon wrote:
<quoted text>
This is one of my favorites that she does.
I like the message and the images in the video say a lot.
P!nk - Raise Your Glass
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =XjVNlG5cZyQXX
LOL!!

She is just too cool. hahaa

Level 8

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#152 Apr 28, 2013
---Wild Irish Rose--- wrote:
<quoted text>
It was really beautiful, X. You are very talented indeed.
Thanks Rose. Means a lot coming from you.

“Try Reuters.”

Level 8

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#153 Apr 28, 2013
Nobody here is interested in your trashy spam that is floated by organizations with a specific conservative media bashing agenda. If you were paying attention, this organization has been rejected as impartial SEVERAL times. This is precisely what DP posted about earlier. Keep it to yourselves. It's a joke, and the Reverend Wright is just about as moot an issue as exists today. Step into the present:

The Media Research Center (MRC) is a conservative content analysis organization based in Alexandria, Virginia, founded in 1987 by conservative activist L. Brent Bozell III. Its stated mission is to "prove — through sound scientific research — that liberal bias in the media does exist and undermines traditional American values" and to "neutralize [that bias's] impact on the American political scene".(cont.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_Research_C...
U Can Run But U Cant Hide wrote:
Salon.com Story Lamely Claims 'Gross Exaggeration' In MRC Research on Obama, Reverend Wright
Sometimes, the left simply can’t argue against hard facts. In a book excerpt warning of the “resurgent right” on Salon.com , leftist Lee Fang accused Brent Bozell of “gross exaggeration” in describing media apathy on Obama scandals.
Fang reported that in a speech at the Council for National Policy in February 2009, Bozell claimed by the time the national networks ran "a single story on Reverend Wright, 42 states and the District of Columbia had voted." Dear Mr. Fang: please identify the exaggeration in that fact.
Our research clearly found the first story with Wright sermon soundbites aired on ABC on March 13, 2008. By then, 42 states and the District of Columbia had already voted. The story came too late to damage someone almost no one in the media wanted to damage.
Fang somehow thinks this fact is refuted by what came after that.“According to a search of transcripts supplied by Nexis, the major networks ABC, CBS and NBC ran at least a combined 57 segments or mentions of Obama's controversial pastor Rev. Jeremiah Wright well before November.”
Not only is this claim irrelevant to the charge of “exaggeration” of our claim, but counting “mentions” is something you do when you want to give the networks your most generous nod (as we sometimes do). Blurring them in with full stories can make the amount of coverage sound....exaggerated.
We’ve never claimed the Reverend Wright story was never covered. We have claimed it was covered in a way that tried to extricate Obama from any political damage. Here are some of the study findings we offered in 2008:

“One Night”

Level 4

Since: Aug 12

It Just Disappeared

#154 Apr 28, 2013
~ Perfect ~ Pink ~ Live Acoustic ~
http://youtu.be/I1-Yl50nCX4

Level 9

Since: Jun 10

Concord, CA

#156 Apr 28, 2013
Jaxxon wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for posting that Rose.
I'd never heard it before. The video was cool too.
I liked it a lot.
You're welcome, Jax.

It's one of Clapton's older tunes. I came upon that vid by accident. It was awesome I thought.

Level 9

Concord, CA

#157 Apr 28, 2013
jimmy krack korn wrote:
<quoted text>
Good Idea! the gang, some who never ventured from the pub anyway, aren't going there. It's easy not too, just like you said. Just liken it too a cesspool. A DIVE.....
A SH!T DIVE
http://youtu.be/oIrehaK5Jks
SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE
LOL! I should look at that whenever I think of posting in that dive again.

Thanks, jimmy, I think.

Old habits die hard, but there comes a point when you know you'll never fix stupid or cure heartlessness. It's useless.

You guys are the best.:-)

“dystopian proles”

Level 6

Since: Feb 09

ludovico

#158 Apr 28, 2013
USMail XXXII wrote:
<quoted text>

That "wood" went limp long ago.

http://mozey.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/smal...
Isn't he cute?
THE DANGLING CONVERSATION

http://youtu.be/FIPf4RJSznA

Simon & Garfunkel
plans4nobody-video

“Take a deep breath”

Level 8

Since: Dec 12

Let it out

#159 Apr 28, 2013
U Can Run But U Cant Hide wrote:
The only reason that anyone might have thought that the Reverend Wright was somehow an extremist is if they have never been to a church with an all black congregation.

Racist white right wing nuts pulled a few recordings of Reverend Wright's sermons up, extracted bits and pieces out of their contexts and played them to a FOX audience. The angry old white man crowd, unaccustomed to the colorful nature of the world around them, tried to use it against to rowel up a nation that is accustomed to the colorful nature of the world around them and so it didn't work.

Reverend Wright saw an opportunity to jump into the national spotlight and began grandstanding. Barack Obama asked the good Reverend to tone it down a bit but Reverend Wright wanted his fifteen minutes of fame so Barack Obama left Reverend Wright's church and denounced his foolishness. For the majority of American voters, including 20% of all registered republicans, saw this as a non issue and voted to make Barack Obama the President of the United States of America.

Level 9

Concord, CA

#160 Apr 28, 2013
Vorenus wrote:
For four hundred years the human race has not made a step but what has left its plain vestige behind. We enter now upon great centuries. The sixteenth century will be known as the age of painters, the seventeenth will be termed the age of writers, the eighteenth the age of philosophers, the nineteenth the age of apostles and prophets. To satisfy the nineteenth century, it is necessary to be the painter of the sixteenth, the writer of the seventeenth, the philosopher of the eighteenth; and it is also necessary, like Louis Blane, to have the innate and holy love of humanity which constitutes an apostolate, and opens up a prophetic vista into the future. In the twentieth century war will be dead, the scaffold will be dead, animosity will be dead, royalty will be dead, and dogmas will be dead; but Man will live. For all there will be but one country—that country the whole earth; for all there will be but one hope—that hope the whole heaven.
All hail, then, to that noble twentieth century which shall own our children, and which our children shall inherit!
Victor Hugo's Address to the Workman's Congress in Marseille (1879)
Gosh, talk about prophetic and hopeful.

What a beautiful writer he was.

Level 9

Concord, CA

#161 Apr 28, 2013
Freespirit8 wrote:
<quoted text>
He left it broken. I think it was the hot water handle. I was mortified lol. Then I had to go sit in the chair, anxiety-ridden, and have him leering at me overhead. What a nightmare.
He got even by cracking my front tooth while making molds. He used those old fashioned iron molds and smacked one against the exposed teeth. What a sadist.
You should have stolen the faucet.

I hope you have a new dentist though, Free.

Level 9

Concord, CA

#162 Apr 28, 2013
X -Man- wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks Rose. Means a lot coming from you.
Awww shucks.:-)

I hope you're compiling your poetry and have plans to submit it somewhere.
U Can Run But U Cant Hide

San Bernardino, CA

#163 Apr 28, 2013
President Slams Media But Conan Softballs Obama At Lame WH Correspondents Dinner
By NIKKI FINKE AND DOMINIC PATTEN | Saturday April 27, 2013 @ 8:24pm PDT

We warned you not to expect much from tonight’s White House Correspondents’ Dinner. And true to form it failed to deliver. Bland to a fault Conan O’Brien didn’t lay a glove on celebrity-in-chief Barack Obama.(Bring back Seth Meyers…) But the President got an easy laugh with a showbiz joke that couldn’t have made Comcast too happy.(He noted that, of 22 recent basketball shots, he had 2 hits and 20 misses.“The executives at NBC asked,‘What’s your secret?’” POTUS said.) O’Brien’s best line of the night was comparing the relationship between Obama and Speaker of the House John Boehner to a blind date between Anderson Cooper and Rachel Maddow.(“In theory they understand each other’s positions. But deep down you know nothing’s ever going to happen.”) Obama got in the nastiest media dig. Noting that CNN has “taken some knocks”– because of errors during reporting on the Boston Marathon bombings - he said,“Fact is I admire their commitment to cover all sides of a story – just in case one of them happens to be accurate.” Obama even stabbed his liberal media cronies. He said saying seeing David Axelrod going to work for MSNBC was “a nice change of pace since MSNBC used to work for David Axelrod”.

Read more: http://www.deadline.com/2013/04/white-house-c...

“Take a deep breath”

Level 8

Since: Dec 12

Let it out

#164 Apr 28, 2013
---Wild Irish Rose--- wrote:
<quoted text>
Gosh, talk about prophetic and hopeful.
What a beautiful writer he was.
Turns out he was wrong about the 20th Century.

World War I turned into a global depression followed by World War II which morphed into a global cold war of conflicting ideologies where two superpowers waged wars in all corners of the globe vying for strategical superiority and control of natural resources as the war profiteers on both sides feasted on human suffering for selfish gain.

War no More

Level 9

Concord, CA

#165 Apr 28, 2013
-Dont Panic- wrote:
<quoted text>
World War I turned into a global depression followed by World War II which morphed into a global cold war of conflicting ideologies where two superpowers waged wars in all corners of the globe vying for strategical superiority and control of natural resources as the war profiteers on both sides feasted on human suffering for selfish gain.
War no More
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =fgWFxFg7-GUXX
Yeah, I know. At least he was hopeful. He was a writer, not a soothsayer or historian.

I'm afraid there will always be war. Humans simply haven't evolved enough to work things out without killing one another for power, greed and control.

Level 9

San Francisco, CA

#166 Apr 28, 2013
anne bonny wrote:
<quoted text>
THE DANGLING CONVERSATION
http://youtu.be/FIPf4RJSznA
Simon & Garfunkel
plans4nobody-video
Love that, anne.

This one too was always a favorite.

America........Simon & Garfunkel

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

“Try Reuters.”

Level 8

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#167 Apr 28, 2013
-Dont Panic- wrote:
<quoted text>
War no More
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =fgWFxFg7-GUXX
We are still being manipulated by war profiteers. For example, the Abrams tank being shoved down the throats of Army Generals who do NOT want these retrofitted tanks, but are compelled by Congress to accept them at a time when there are far better and more efficient uses of those dollars - including the social welfare needs of our people:

Abrams Tank Pushed By Congress Despite Army's Protests

By RICHARD LARDNER 04/28/13

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/28/abra...

WASHINGTON -- Built to dominate the enemy in combat, the Army's hulking Abrams tank is proving equally hard to beat in a budget battle.

Lawmakers from both parties have devoted nearly half a billion dollars in taxpayer money over the past two years to build improved versions of the 70-ton Abrams.

But senior Army officials have said repeatedly, "No thanks."

It's the inverse of the federal budget world these days, in which automatic spending cuts are leaving sought-after pet programs struggling or unpaid altogether. Republicans and Democrats for years have fought so bitterly that lawmaking in Washington ground to a near-halt.

Yet in the case of the Abrams tank, there's a bipartisan push to spend an extra $436 million on a weapon the experts explicitly say is not needed.

Level 6

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#168 Apr 28, 2013
-Dont Panic- wrote:
<quoted text>
The only reason that anyone might have thought that the Reverend Wright was somehow an extremist is if they have never been to a church with an all black congregation.
Racist white right wing nuts pulled a few recordings of Reverend Wright's sermons up, extracted bits and pieces out of their contexts and played them to a FOX audience. The angry old white man crowd, unaccustomed to the colorful nature of the world around them, tried to use it against to rowel up a nation that is accustomed to the colorful nature of the world around them and so it didn't work.
Reverend Wright saw an opportunity to jump into the national spotlight and began grandstanding. Barack Obama asked the good Reverend to tone it down a bit but Reverend Wright wanted his fifteen minutes of fame so Barack Obama left Reverend Wright's church and denounced his foolishness. For the majority of American voters, including 20% of all registered republicans, saw this as a non issue and voted to make Barack Obama the President of the United States of America.
I think you're right about the cultural thing, but I'm not sure everyone that had a problem with it was overtly racist.

Like you said, the people that were pushing this thing the hardest cherry picked the most incendiary statements and that's all that many people saw.

The idea that the mainstream media didn't cover the story at the time is ludicrous though.

Level 6

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#170 Apr 28, 2013
I see the same old predictable trolls are starting to find their way over here.

I guess they just can stand the idea that reasonable, intelligent adults could be having an actual conversation and enjoying it.

If someone shows up here to express their opinion, whether left or right or anywhere in between, that's one thing, but the same old topix games are just boring now.

BTW...Didn't "reality" always post with the "United States" proxy showing?
JAXXON_JAXOFF

UK

#171 Apr 28, 2013
I like 6 year old boys.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Immigration Reform Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News If Donald Trump Was President, Here's What Woul... (Oct '15) 2 hr ima-Ilis Myka Ash... 11,239
News Trump, Clinton to meet with Netanyahu on eve of... 2 hr Lawrence Wolf 6
News Trump Isn't Bluffing, He'll Deport 11 Million P... 2 hr Surgit Tempestas 10,120
Rose's Pub (Mar '10) 3 hr NuRidersoftheePur... 142,626
News Safety fears rein in march for immigrant driver... 6 hr Wildchild 3
News Is Donald Trump Crazy? (Jul '15) 11 hr Aurora Borealis 32
News Private prisons holding undocumented immigrants... Fri ima-Ilis Myka Ash... 2
More from around the web