A new thread not Created by POS or any of it's socks.

Posted in the Immigration Reform Forum

Comments (Page 109)

Showing posts 2,161 - 2,180 of2,465
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Level 8

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2013

Judged:

Jaxxon wrote:
How will Obama defend secret NSA program in court? Letter offers clue
...As part of a legal proceedings set for this Thursday, the US Department of Justice on Friday sent a letter to Judge William Pauley in the US District Court in Manhattan, outlining the broad contours of the "highly sensitive and, in many respects, still classified intelligence-collection program."
The letter revealed some of the strategies and arguments the Obama administration will employ as it defends the NSA program against the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU), which filed a lawsuit in June...
...In its lawsuit, the ACLU is asking the court to halt the program immediately with a preliminary injunction before the case is decided. The suit argues in part that the government's clandestine data mining violates First Amendment rights of free speech and association – that it, in effect, puts a "chill" on free speech – and that it violates the Fourth Amendment's protections against warrantless search and seizure.
Full Story...
http://news.yahoo.com/obama-defend-secret-nsa...
From the article you posted, this caught my attention:

“the Government is prohibited ... from indiscriminately sifting through the data. The data-base may only be queried for intelligence purposes by NSA analysts where there is a reasonable, articulable suspicion ("RAS"), based on specific facts."

Wasn't Edward Snowden an employee of a "Private Contractor"?

If the data can be abused, it will be abused. It's human nature.

Level 6

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2013

Judged:

-Dont Panic- wrote:
<quoted text>
“the Government is prohibited ... from indiscriminately sifting through the data. The data-base may only be queried for intelligence purposes by NSA analysts where there is a reasonable, articulable suspicion ("RAS"), based on specific facts."
It's the potential for abuse that concerns me.

Whether it's at the hands of a civilian contractor or a government agency, there has been and there will be abuse.

Obama will only be president for a little over two more years, the agencies that have over stepped their legal authority and then lied to us about it will still be around and they will still be gathering personal information on millions of American citizens.

Can we guarantee that the next administration, or the one after that, won't use the information they've gathered against their political enemies?

Constitutional concerns aside, we're setting ourselves up for a nightmare scenario where free speech and a free press will become as "quaint" a notion as privacy seems to be today.

Level 8

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2013

Jaxxon wrote:
<quoted text>
It's the potential for abuse that concerns me.
Whether it's at the hands of a civilian contractor or a government agency, there has been and there will be abuse.
Obama will only be president for a little over two more years, the agencies that have over stepped their legal authority and then lied to us about it will still be around and they will still be gathering personal information on millions of American citizens.
Can we guarantee that the next administration, or the one after that, won't use the information they've gathered against their political enemies?
Constitutional concerns aside, we're setting ourselves up for a nightmare scenario where free speech and a free press will become as "quaint" a notion as privacy seems to be today.
I totally agree! You have the right to remain silent. Anything you have said over the past decade can and will be used against you in a secret court of law.

The secret isn't a secret anymore. A civilian contractor who had access to the data released it to the media. See! The data isn't safe.

The fact that people have access to the data and the systems that provide ease of access means that the data isn't secure. Rouge employees who favor one political candidate over another might "leak" the dirt in hopes of giving his side the winning edge. Greedy employees with access to the data might be tempted to sell some data to a corporate entity hoping to gain an edge over the competition. Then there is the bored employee who decides to look up old acquaintances to see what they have been up to. How many employees with access to the data are divorced? Would their ex's want then to have access to their private communications? Who in their right mind believes this data will not be abused? It should be ended and the programs terminated. The patriot act should be allowed to expire. Any politician who thinks otherwise should be put out of office and replaced with someone who believes in FREEDOM, JUSTICE and the AMERICAN WAY!

“Working Class Dog”

Level 6

Since: Oct 08

Hells Kitchen

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2013

Judged:

DETROIT THE NEW GREECE,
There are influential people out there who would like you to believe that Detroit’s demise is fundamentally a tale of fiscal irresponsibility and/or greedy public employees. It isn’t. For the most part, it’s just one of those things that happens now and then in an ever-changing economy......
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/22/opinion/kru...

Theme From Route 66

http://youtu.be/vcZ1k4d02KA
Nelson Riddle Orchestra
wrogershwyvideo

“Club Fed or Camp Cupcake?”

Since: Oct 10

White-Collar Minimum-Security

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2013

Detroit Riots 1967
http://youtu.be/r2_VX2nymRs

“The Beast Within”

Level 5

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2013

Judged:

Agents of Corruption wrote:
Detroit Riots 1967
http://youtu.be/r2_VX2nymRs
The streets of fire were the streets of SOUL in pre-Motown, known as,

THE VILLAGE OF LOVE

http://youtu.be/ZpA5Ljxuxl4

NATHANIEL MEYER & THE FABULOUS TWILIGHTS
"I Want Love and Affection, Not the House of Correction"
fortunerecords-video

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2013

-Dont Panic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Here’s How Edward Snowden Got ‘Top Secret’ Clearance
http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/Articles/2013/0...
The purpose of the meeting was to figure out how someone like Edward Snowden, the NSA leaker, could get access to some of the most secret information in the country

Level 6

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2013

Judged:

Agents of Corruption wrote:
<quoted text>
Here’s How Edward Snowden Got ‘Top Secret’ Clearance
http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/Articles/2013/0...
The purpose of the meeting was to figure out how someone like Edward Snowden, the NSA leaker, could get access to some of the most secret information in the country
More propaganda.

Even if our government hadn't been using private contractors to do everything from security checks to fighting our wars for the past decade, and even if the government agency that was supposed to be in charge of security clearances wasn't such a mass of corruption, fraud, incompetence and indifference, there is no reason to believe that Snowden wouldn't have been granted clearance anyway.

What have they presented as evidence that he was in any way unqualified to be doing the job he was doing?

Here's the thing...

Right now the intelligence community is trying to sell the idea that the whistleblower is the problem instead of the intelligence community itself and that's a load of bull.

Even if they had a system in place that would only grant clearance to mindless drones willing to do their jobs, obey orders and ignore any and all abuse and excess by the government, or the private contractors that they serve, the NSA spying program would still be what it is, excessive, intrusive, unconstitutional and out of control.

The highest calling of a public servant (in any capacity) is not loyalty to the state. The highest calling is loyalty to conscience, the public interest and to the principles upon which this nation was founded.

The NSA would like us to believe that if they could just find agents so blindly obedient that they would ignore any wrong doing on the part of the government (or their civilian employers) there wouldn't be a problem. They could go on spying on American citizens, gathering tons of information without cause, exceeding their legal authority, violating international treaties and using some mystical system of "secret courts" to justify their activities with impunity.

The NSA and it's abuses are just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to our intelligence community and the secret state they have created.

They want nothing more desperately than to keep our attention focused on the leaker and away from the information that was revealed and they are putting on the biggest smoke-and-mirror campaign in history to keep us from finally looking behind the curtain and seeing the truth.

“Happy Easter!”

Level 9

Since: Jun 10

The Bunny Trail

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2013

Judged:

Mickey Ratt Club wrote:
DETROIT THE NEW GREECE,
There are influential people out there who would like you to believe that Detroit’s demise is fundamentally a tale of fiscal irresponsibility and/or greedy public employees. It isn’t. For the most part, it’s just one of those things that happens now and then in an ever-changing economy......
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/22/opinion/kru...
Theme From Route 66
http://youtu.be/vcZ1k4d02KA
Nelson Riddle Orchestra
wrogershwyvideo
TUESDAY, JUL 23, 2013

Don’t buy the right-wing myth about Detroit

Conservatives want you to think high taxes drove people away. The real truth is much worse for their radical agenda

http://www.salon.com/2013/07/23/dont_buy_the_...

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2013

Judged:

Desperate Homophobes Tell Women Gay Rights Will Rob Them Of Husbands
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/07/22/despera...
In the real world, of course, the growing social acceptance of gay people actually reduces the number of straight marriages that are blown up by one spouse choosing to live as gay. It’s homophobia that causes people to get married, have kids, and struggle for years before the pressure of living a lie causes them to come out, divorce their spouse, and live as a gay person. Nowadays, you can come out in your teens—often earlier!—long before there’s pressure to start dating, much less marry a person of the opposite sex.

Level 6

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2013

Judged:

Gay Marriage: States That Allow Same-Sex Unions Have Lower Divorce Rates

NBC 5 in Chicago took a look at recent census data and found that states that legally allow gay marriage actually have lower divorce rates than states that only allow heterosexual unions.

In states where same-sex marriages are legally recognized, the divorce rate is 20 percent lower than in states that only allow marriages between a man and a woman. For example, Massachusetts, which was the first state to legalize same-sex marriage (in 2004), also has the lowest divorce rate in the country.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/27/gay-...

Level 8

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2013

Judged:

Jaxxon wrote:
Gay Marriage: States That Allow Same-Sex Unions Have Lower Divorce Rates
NBC 5 in Chicago took a look at recent census data and found that states that legally allow gay marriage actually have lower divorce rates than states that only allow heterosexual unions.
In states where same-sex marriages are legally recognized, the divorce rate is 20 percent lower than in states that only allow marriages between a man and a woman. For example, Massachusetts, which was the first state to legalize same-sex marriage (in 2004), also has the lowest divorce rate in the country.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/27/gay-...
What were the divorce rates in those states before they legalized same sex marriage? Were they always the lowest or did they all of a sudden become that way after legalizing guy marriage?

It is not possible to judge something like divorce rates based upon a single factor. What does an average divorce cost in Massachusetts? Does the neighboring states offer cheaper divorces? You have to remember that people want a good deal and are willing to shop around to get the best price possible.

You don't have to get a divorce in the same state that issued the marriage license. How many people get married in Vegas then divorce in Mexico? What state gets credit (or blame) for that divorce? Does Vegas get credit/blame for all those marriages of out-of-state tourists who return home and have it annulled?

Again, I really don't believe that same sex marriage has anything to do with divorce rates and trying to imply that they do is a big stretch.

Level 8

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2013

Judged:

I understand the disagree judge it and I don't mind getting a spam judge it either, but the mean judge it was uncalled for.

What I said was not mean. It was the truth. Let's just say for the argument that the divorce rates in states that allow same sex marriage all of a sudden decreased after SSM was legalized. Let's even pretend that the divorce rates in those states continued to decrease each year following the passage of the law. That in and of itself doesn't mean that same sex marriage laws makes traditional marriage stronger. One would need more information than the divorce rates alone. You would have to look at the rates of traditional marriages in those states to make sure that they have not gone down since the passage of same sex marriage laws. If their is a steady reduction of the number of heterosexual marriage since the passage of same sex marriage laws, it could signify that same sex laws deteriorate the significance of the institution of marriage.

There is nothing mean or intolerant in my words. I'm simply pointing out that you cannot come to a conclusion using divorce rates alone like the article from the Huffington Post tried to insinuate. A study needs ALL the relevant data in order to make a claim like states with sames sex marriage laws have lower divorce rates because of their same sex marriage law.

If you disagree with that statement or believe it to be spam then you don't understand the scientific process and if you believe it to be mean then you need prescription medications.

“dystopian proles”

Level 6

Since: Feb 09

ludovico

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2013

Judged:

Mrs Bluebird

http://youtu.be/RmOYkbQVJkQ

Eternity's Children
dungeon records

Level 6

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2013

Judged:

-Dont Panic- wrote:
I understand the disagree judge it and I don't mind getting a spam judge it either, but the mean judge it was uncalled for.
What I said was not mean. It was the truth. Let's just say for the argument that the divorce rates in states that allow same sex marriage all of a sudden decreased after SSM was legalized. Let's even pretend that the divorce rates in those states continued to decrease each year following the passage of the law. That in and of itself doesn't mean that same sex marriage laws makes traditional marriage stronger. One would need more information than the divorce rates alone. You would have to look at the rates of traditional marriages in those states to make sure that they have not gone down since the passage of same sex marriage laws. If their is a steady reduction of the number of heterosexual marriage since the passage of same sex marriage laws, it could signify that same sex laws deteriorate the significance of the institution of marriage.
There is nothing mean or intolerant in my words. I'm simply pointing out that you cannot come to a conclusion using divorce rates alone like the article from the Huffington Post tried to insinuate. A study needs ALL the relevant data in order to make a claim like states with sames sex marriage laws have lower divorce rates because of their same sex marriage law.
If you disagree with that statement or believe it to be spam then you don't understand the scientific process and if you believe it to be mean then you need prescription medications.
Hey DP.

I'm not sure why that post got the bad judge-its, but I think you're taking the post I made a little too serious.

I read the post by "Agent of Corruption" and remembered having read the other article earlier so I posted a link to it because I thought they were kind of related.

I never claimed that recognizing same-sex marriage was the cause of lower divorce rates and I don't think the article I posted did either. To be honest I made the post sort of tongue-in-cheek as a response to the earlier post.

Might be worth looking into the numbers though.

On a personal note, I didn't think either of your posts were mean spirited and I didn't give them any judge-its.

Nothing wrong with asking serious questions as far as I'm concerned.

Anyway, have a good one. I'm calling it a night.

“Happy Easter!”

Level 9

The Bunny Trail

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2013

Judged:

-Dont Panic- wrote:
The judge it troll(s) don't read posts, DP.

They see a name and just click away. You give them credit for actually being able to comprehend your posts when they can barely read.:-)

“Happy Easter!”

Level 9

The Bunny Trail

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2013

Judged:

LMAO! See what I mean?

Nite nite, Quirky.
In Memory of Trayvon

Anonymous Proxy

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2013

Judged:

This is for Trayvon..aaahhhh..<green clouded azzclapping fart>
In Memory of Trayvon

Anonymous Proxy

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2013

Judged:

That creepyazz cracker name Jack is gay as they come.
It'll never be proper or acceptable. Not in my country.

He'll always be looked at as a mere circus animal in a cage, an oddity to be looked at and laughed at but never to be taken seriously nor admired.

“A Nation of Legal Immigrants”

Level 8

Since: Nov 07

Lake City Florida,/ Kansas

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2013

Judged:

Let's all smoke a joint in memory of Trayvon Martins bad decision of not walking away.

Is it getting a little hot down there Trayvon?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 2,161 - 2,180 of2,465
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

58 Users are viewing the Immigration Reform Forum right now

Search the Immigration Reform Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Cooper stands ground on immigration reformCoope... 2 min Asian Guy 1
The President has failed us (Jun '12) 3 min Herman the German 219,180
Rand Slams Bush Over Immigration "Act Of Love" ... 10 min Cat74 209
What If Republicans Capture the Senate? 12 min Responsibility 308
Immigrant tuition bill opens rift in Republican... 19 min Asian Guy 17
Rubio's donor base grows 20 min Billy Ringo 64
Jewish values at heart of immigration reform 36 min Adam 36 268
Rose's Pub (Mar '10) 52 min Mickey Ratt Club 133,594
•••