Tod Robberson: Immigration reform nev...

Tod Robberson: Immigration reform never needed to include a pathway to citizenship

There are 31 comments on the Dallas Morning News story from Nov 23, 2013, titled Tod Robberson: Immigration reform never needed to include a pathway to citizenship. In it, Dallas Morning News reports that:

University of Texas students participate in an immigration rights rally on the university campus in Austin, Texas, Wednesday Nov. 20, 2013.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Dallas Morning News.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“A Nation of Legal Immigrants”

Level 8

Since: Nov 07

Lake City Florida,/ Nebraska

#23 Nov 26, 2013
Magadala wrote:
I was very surprised to read the old, "we can pile 11 million on a bus and deport them..."

Stupid statement. No, we can't
Yes we could if we had a President with the balls to do it!

By John Dillin / July 6, 2006

WASHINGTON

George W. Bush isn't the first Republican president to face a full-blown immigration crisis on the US-Mexican border.

Fifty-three years ago, when newly elected Dwight Eisenhower moved into the White House, America's southern frontier was as porous as a spaghetti sieve. As many as 3 million illegal migrants had walked and waded northward over a period of several years for jobs in California, Arizona, Texas, and points beyond.

President Eisenhower cut off this illegal traffic. He did it quickly and decisively with only 1,075 United States Border Patrol agents - less than one-tenth of today's force. The operation is still highly praised among veterans of the Border Patrol.

In 1954, Ike appointed retired Gen. Joseph "Jumpin' Joe" Swing, a former West Point classmate and veteran of the 101st Airborne, as the new INS commissioner.Influential politicians, including Sen. Lyndon B. Johnson (D) of Texas and Sen. Pat McCarran (D) of Nevada, favored open borders, and were dead set against strong border enforcement, Brownell said. But General Swing's close connections to the president shielded him - and the Border Patrol - from
meddling by powerful political and corporate interests

(Continue)

http://www.csmonitor.com/2006/0706/p09s01-coo...

Page 2

One of Swing's first decisive acts was to transfer certain entrenched immigration officials out of the border area to other regions of the country where their political connections with people such as Senator Johnson would have no effect.
Then on June 17, 1954, what was called "Operation Wetback" began.Because political resistance was lower in California and Arizona, the roundup of aliens began there. Some 750 agents swept northward through agricultural areas with a goal of 1,000 apprehensions a day. By the end of July, over 50,000 aliens were caught in the two states. Another 488,000, fearing arrest, had fled the country.

By mid-July, the crackdown extended northward into Utah, Nevada, and Idaho, and eastward to Texas.

By September, 80,000 had been taken into custody in Texas, and an estimated 500,000 to 700,000 illegals had left the Lone Star State voluntarily.

Unlike today, Mexicans caught in the roundup were not simply released at the border, where they could easily reenter the US. To discourage their return, Swing arranged for buses and trains to take many aliens deep within Mexico before being set free.

Tens of thousands more were put aboard two hired ships, the Emancipation and the Mercurio. The ships ferried the aliens from Port Isabel, Texas, to Vera Cruz, Mexico, more than 500 miles south.

The sea voyage was "a rough trip, and they did not like it," says Don Coppock, who worked his way up from Border Patrolman in 1941 to eventually head the Border Patrol from 1960 to 1973.

Mr. Coppock says he "cannot understand why [President] Bush let [today's] problem get away from him as it has. I guess it was his compassionate conservatism, and trying to please [Mexican President] Vincente Fox."

http://www.csmonitor.com/2006/0706/p09s01-coo...
Magadala

Snoqualmie, WA

#24 Dec 2, 2013
wild child wrote:
<quoted text> yes you are right.it has to stop they will leave.
Judging from the red "X's", I must have hit a nerve. I was recently listening to a radio program where a person quoted a WWII pilot that said, "You can tell when you are near the target,'cause that's when all the action kicks up..." Ain't that the truth?

Attrition is the most effective means of dealing with illegal immigration, more effective that a packed border patrol. And it doesn't cost much!!! They seldom mention it, and when they do, it is couched with, "draconian" laws! If we stopped everything, they would have nothing to come for. No schooling, hospital, renting, employment, unable to purchase property (like MANY, Mex for example!), then no matter how prosperous we were, there would be no reason to come because they couldn't get any...as in Saudi Arabia. Even their legal citizens live separate from the masses. Ever talked to someone who has spent a year or two in Saudi Arabia? I have!
Magadala

Snoqualmie, WA

#25 Dec 2, 2013
Asian Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
yes, we should do all the things you mentioned.
but why do you exclude deportation???
as I see it, we should use very option that we have available to get rid of these illegal aliens. and that includes DEPORTATION.
YOUR statement that it cannot be done is false.
in the last century, we did it 3 times under truman, roosevelt, and eisenhower. the program was called "operation wetback".
if we can do it then, we can do it now.
get it done.
You misunderstood me! I wasn't excluding deportation, I was suggesting another cheaper, more efficient way. YES! ALWAYS deport, but let's have several prongs going at the same time! I can't wait for the pendulum to begin swinging the other way,CIR seems to have lost the mass appeal and steam it once had. I cross my fingers that this dies. Seems that more crises makes this a shallow issue to spend time on. As we all know, the budget bs is on the horizon, and no one has done anything, and everyone is were we left off.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#26 Dec 2, 2013
Cat74 wrote:
Every election we talk about dumping these do nothings from their cushy jobs, but we never do. This time must be different. Dump all the incumbents, Democrats, Republicans all of them.
obamascare alone may have plenty of senate dems out on of office and on their useless rears. hopefully no one is fool enough to want them to stay.
wild child

Brooklyn, NY

#27 Dec 2, 2013
Magadala wrote:
<quoted text>
Judging from the red "X's", I must have hit a nerve. I was recently listening to a radio program where a person quoted a WWII pilot that said, "You can tell when you are near the target,'cause that's when all the action kicks up..." Ain't that the truth?
Attrition is the most effective means of dealing with illegal immigration, more effective that a packed border patrol. And it doesn't cost much!!! They seldom mention it, and when they do, it is couched with, "draconian" laws! If we stopped everything, they would have nothing to come for. No schooling, hospital, renting, employment, unable to purchase property (like MANY, Mex for example!), then no matter how prosperous we were, there would be no reason to come because they couldn't get any...as in Saudi Arabia. Even their legal citizens live separate from the masses. Ever talked to someone who has spent a year or two in Saudi Arabia? I have!
I agree 1000000%.that is why I laugh when they say im going to starve, im going to chain myself to a fence, stand in front of a bus.lol ok go ahead its america, you are free to do that, im free to laugh at you.no I dont know anyone who spent time in saudi.but I know people who are from there, weird.feel free to hit any nerve you like.this is dtill america.let these illegals get out.are idiot president is the one who lures them sad really.just keep up the good work.its not looking good for them.which like you said, they sre making lots of crazy waves.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#28 Dec 3, 2013
Cat74 wrote:
Don't kid yourself. If they get immigration reform next summer, they will all vote in the 2014 election. They will be on welfare, food stamps, and have healthcare as good as yours. The Democrats lied about waiting 10 years for stuff. They say that to lure Conservation support.
i think illegal aliens are voting already and the dems who helped them vote are now trying to reward them for it.

here in my area those who could not speak english had folks going into the booth with them.
Cat74

Plainfield, IL

#29 Dec 3, 2013
You are right. They never miss an election. It is a shame so many legal people refuse to register, and vote. Our Country would look so different.
liberty

Rockmart, GA

#30 Dec 3, 2013
you know if these people are not criminals why did they sneak in to start with why did they not apply and come the right way looks like they are trying to hide something sneaking in ill be glad when it is mandatory to use everify
Cat74

Plainfield, IL

#31 Dec 3, 2013
It was mandatory to use E verify under President Bush. Obama changed that when he opened the borders.
liberty

Rockmart, GA

#32 Dec 3, 2013
it needs to go back into effect everify for every business in the u.s. any business should have to use it to hire
wild child

Bronx, NY

#33 Dec 3, 2013
Cat74 wrote:
You are right. They never miss an election. It is a shame so many legal people refuse to register, and vote. Our Country would look so different.
well they better start, this country is looking very sick.americans have a duty to vote.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Immigration Reform Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Has Donald Trump Already Failed Us? (Nov '16) 1 min Katrina 10,953
Rose's Pub (Mar '10) 44 min Quirky 147,676
News Trump Must Keep His Promise: Repeal DACA 1 hr girldowntheroad 50
Bonnies Road House Emporium (Apr '14) 3 hr Quirky 144
News Defiant Trump Says McCain Has Abandoned Veteran... (Jul '15) 6 hr Retribution 7
News Here's My Dream: Deport the Illegal Alien "Nigh... 7 hr Quirky 7
News Longmont City Council to consider DACA support ... 7 hr Quirky 2
Should Katrina be banned? 15 hr Poster2 237
More from around the web