Slim got fired for drinking on the job.

Leave your resume.

“Tutte le strade portano a Roma”

Level 4

Since: Aug 13

Mt Vesuvius

#137961 Sep 8, 2013
Venus Near Moon In Dramatic Sky Show Tonight: How to See It

A planetary meet-up will create a potentially dazzling celestial display this evening (Sept. 8), a cosmic show involving the two brightest objects in the nighttime sky: Venus and the moon.

The planet Venus, which has been languishing low in the dusk all summer, at last manages to stay above the west-southwest horizon as late as the end of evening twilight. About 45 minutes after sunset on Sunday (Sept. 8), look toward the west-southwest horizon to see Venus hovering rather close to a waxing crescent moon — an eye-catching tableau in spite of the pair's low altitude in the night sky.

Weather permitting, Venus will likely catch your eye first; it will be shining less than 10 degrees above the horizon — less than the width of your clenched fist held at arm’s length. Make sure that you have a clear and unobstructed view toward the west-southwest, with no trees or buildings in the way. Now look off to the lower left of Venus and you'll also see the slender sliver of a waxing crescent moon. This eye-catching duo will quickly descend as the sky darkens, finally setting about 1.5 hours after sunset beyond the west-southwest horizon.[Venus and the Crescent Moon: Amazing Photos of Night Sky Lights]

A striking celestial pair

Of all the pairings of Venus and the moon that have already occurred this summer — or will occur during this upcoming fall and early winter season — tonight's will be by far, the closest. Not to mention also that the two will attract immediate attention because of their great brightness.

Venus shines at magnitude -4.1, on the astronomical brightness scale, which makes it 11 times brighter than Sirius, the brightest star. On the magnitude scale, objects with lower numbers appear brighter, with negative numbers denoting extra-brilliant brightness.

The moon will be 3.5 days past new phase and about 13-percent illuminated. Look also for the beautiful phenomenon known as "earthshine" — sunlight reflected by the Earth, directed toward the moon and dimly illuminating its dark portion with a faint gray-blue glow. That effect will impart an almost three-dimensional appearance to the moon and will enhance the overall scene.

Venus is currently 99.3 million miles (159.7 million kilometers) from the Earth, while the moon is only about 235,800 miles (379,500 km) away; as a result Earth appears to move much more rapidly against the background stars than Venus in the September night sky. As a consequence of this rapid movement, when the sun sets on the following evening (Monday, Sept. 10), the configuration between Venus and the moon will have radically changed.

In fact, the moon — whose illuminated sliver will have noticeably widened to 21 percent — will now be positioned far to the east of Venus, and to the left, but closer to and slightly below another planet: Saturn.

During the daytime, too!

Sun., Sept. 8, sunset.

The moon's proximity relative to Venus will give you an excellent chance to try to glimpse Venus during the daytime. If your sky is mostly clear with little or no haze, check your south-southwest sky during the late afternoon hours of Sunday — say around 4 p.m. or 5 p.m.— and try to locate the moon, which will appear roughly about one-third up from the horizon to the overhead point (called the zenith).

If you find the moon, Venus will be situated just about one degree directly above it. Try using binoculars first and then your unaided eyes.

Making travel plans?

Some skywatchers in one remote locale may also watch a very spectacular sight — an "eclipse" of the planet Venus as the moon passes directly between that dazzling planet and the Earth. The event will hide Venus for about an hour or so. Astronomers call that an "occultation" from the Latin occulere, meaning "to conceal."

cont....
http://news.yahoo.com/venus-near-moon-dramati...

Level 4

Mt Vesuvius

#137962 Sep 8, 2013
---Wild Irish Rose--- wrote:
<quoted text>
Slim got fired for drinking on the job.
Leave your resume.
I heard he eloped with Daisies,
He'll be back when he runs out of money....

Level 4

Mt Vesuvius

#137963 Sep 8, 2013
Ai Se Eu Te Pego

http://youtu.be/vIzeQ1Z6lK4
Michel Telo

Level 8

Since: Oct 07

sugarcoated sunshine

#137964 Sep 8, 2013

Level 8

sugarcoated sunshine

#137965 Sep 8, 2013
My favorite Who song

My Wife - The Who

Level 8

sugarcoated sunshine

#137966 Sep 8, 2013
My second favorite Who song...or is it my first...

Slip Kid - The Who

“Working Class Dog”

Level 6

Since: Oct 08

Hells Kitchen

#137967 Sep 8, 2013
Arrrr! I remember back to when I was going to take a vacation on a Oriental flight. But when I heard the pilots name, SUM TING WONG.....I changed my mind.

"Ebony Eyes"
http://youtu.be/fITz2vLe_QM
The Everly Brothers
tearjerkprod

“The Beast Within”

Level 5

Since: Oct 12

Paradise, Calif

#137968 Sep 8, 2013
Bar Opening wrote:
Where's the bartender????
HOOOOOOOOOOOWL!
All Eager for the Sunday Bloody Mary special!

BAR / BALLROOM BLITZ

http://youtu.be/KfNpMdBepwM

THE SWEET
Kill Bill/03'/Tarentino-[R]

“Club Fed or Camp Cupcake?”

Since: Oct 10

White-Collar Minimum-Security

#137970 Sep 8, 2013
The Wind Cries Mary
http://youtu.be/LK69zlAA4K0

“RELAX”

Level 8

Since: Dec 12

EVERYTHING WILL BE ALRIGHT

#137971 Sep 8, 2013
VorenusI wrote:
Venus Near Moon In Dramatic Sky Show Tonight: How to See It
A planetary meet-up will create a potentially dazzling celestial display this evening (Sept. 8), a cosmic show involving the two brightest objects in the nighttime sky: Venus and the moon.
The planet Venus, which has been languishing low in the dusk all summer, at last manages to stay above the west-southwest horizon as late as the end of evening twilight. About 45 minutes after sunset on Sunday (Sept. 8), look toward the west-southwest horizon to see Venus hovering rather close to a waxing crescent moon — an eye-catching tableau in spite of the pair's low altitude in the night sky.
Weather permitting, Venus will likely catch your eye first; it will be shining less than 10 degrees above the horizon — less than the width of your clenched fist held at arm’s length. Make sure that you have a clear and unobstructed view toward the west-southwest, with no trees or buildings in the way. Now look off to the lower left of Venus and you'll also see the slender sliver of a waxing crescent moon. This eye-catching duo will quickly descend as the sky darkens, finally setting about 1.5 hours after sunset beyond the west-southwest horizon.[Venus and the Crescent Moon: Amazing Photos of Night Sky Lights]
A striking celestial pair
Of all the pairings of Venus and the moon that have already occurred this summer — or will occur during this upcoming fall and early winter season — tonight's will be by far, the closest. Not to mention also that the two will attract immediate attention because of their great brightness.
Venus shines at magnitude -4.1, on the astronomical brightness scale, which makes it 11 times brighter than Sirius, the brightest star. On the magnitude scale, objects with lower numbers appear brighter, with negative numbers denoting extra-brilliant brightness.
The moon will be 3.5 days past new phase and about 13-percent illuminated. Look also for the beautiful phenomenon known as "earthshine" — sunlight reflected by the Earth, directed toward the moon and dimly illuminating its dark portion with a faint gray-blue glow. That effect will impart an almost three-dimensional appearance to the moon and will enhance the overall scene.
Venus is currently 99.3 million miles (159.7 million kilometers) from the Earth, while the moon is only about 235,800 miles (379,500 km) away; as a result Earth appears to move much more rapidly against the background stars than Venus in the September night sky. As a consequence of this rapid movement, when the sun sets on the following evening (Monday, Sept. 10), the configuration between Venus and the moon will have radically changed.
In fact, the moon — whose illuminated sliver will have noticeably widened to 21 percent — will now be positioned far to the east of Venus, and to the left, but closer to and slightly below another planet: Saturn.
During the daytime, too!
Sun., Sept. 8, sunset.
The moon's proximity relative to Venus will give you an excellent chance to try to glimpse Venus during the daytime. If your sky is mostly clear with little or no haze, check your south-southwest sky during the late afternoon hours of Sunday — say around 4 p.m. or 5 p.m.— and try to locate the moon, which will appear roughly about one-third up from the horizon to the overhead point (called the zenith).
If you find the moon, Venus will be situated just about one degree directly above it. Try using binoculars first and then your unaided eyes.
Making travel plans?
Some skywatchers in one remote locale may also watch a very spectacular sight — an "eclipse" of the planet Venus as the moon passes directly between that dazzling planet and the Earth. The event will hide Venus for about an hour or so. Astronomers call that an "occultation" from the Latin occulere, meaning "to conceal."
cont....
http://news.yahoo.com/venus-near-moon-dramati...
Thanks! I'll be on the lookout for it.

“RELAX”

Level 8

Since: Dec 12

EVERYTHING WILL BE ALRIGHT

#137972 Sep 8, 2013
It's beautiful! I like how the sun's reflection off the earth light's up the dark side of the moon. I only wish I had a camera capable of doing that sight justice.

“Lets Go - Why Not”

Level 6

Since: Jun 11

Laredo Tornado

#137973 Sep 8, 2013
The Empire of the Sun

http://youtu.be/ebSMqZArGzY

We Are The People

Level 4

Mt Vesuvius

#137974 Sep 8, 2013
-Dont Panic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks! I'll be on the lookout for it.
You're welcome DP, I happened to be visiting someone at the hospital around the time it occurred and missed it.
Dang it!

I'm glad you got to see it, I'll see if I can find pictures of it on the internet...

“Heartful of Soul”

Level 6

Since: Feb 09

El Dorado

#137975 Sep 9, 2013
~~~Moon Trance~~~

http://youtu.be/2FYFSNXAWNA

Lindsey Stirling

“and I don't care....”

Level 7

Since: Oct 11

The Burbs, USA

#137976 Sep 9, 2013
MaMa Used To Say

http://youtu.be/f8eaBnPd7ks

Junior [Giscombe]
L>E>C> prod.
HD-x-10version

“Working Class Dog”

Level 6

Since: Oct 08

Hells Kitchen

#137977 Sep 9, 2013
Zoom Zoom Video Games May Help Make Old Brains Act Young Again
http://blog.aarp.org/2013/09/06/zoom-zoom-vid...

"The Pinball Wizard"
http://youtu.be/fAtMP6e2Kco
Elton John w/ The Who
outtake from 'TOMMY' 75'/RSO

“this gun for hire”

Level 7

Since: Jan 09

Sunset Beach

#137979 Sep 9, 2013
"The Alabama Whiskey Bar Song

http://youtu.be/uQbFVfadw08

The D00RS
HDSlideShow IN 720p

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Immigration Reform Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News GOP Will Lose in 2016 without Sensible Immigrat... 6 min Synque 105
News On H1B Visas: Scott Walker Will Fight For Ameri... 18 min Synque 33
News Pennsylvania city faces fiscal pain for immigra... 33 min wild child 2
News Hillary Rodham Clinton has shifted left, but so... 34 min wild child 2
News What Should Citizenship Mean? 43 min janetpatriot 12
News Republican 2016 candidates almost uniformly giv... 1 hr janetpatriot 5
News House Blocks Chance at Military Service for 'Dr... 1 hr Who guessed it 11
More from around the web