#130757 Dec 5, 2012
johnny belinda wrote:
"I can resist everything except temptation."
"The Stranger"
http://youtu.be/E57pY8PnCPQ
Billy Joel
cinemaparidisio
RIP.
Dave Brubeck legend who helped define jazz dies.
http://omg.yahoo.com/news/dave-brubeck-legend...

"Take Five"
http://youtu.be/FPpCgxLmnFs
onthelampic......

“Tutte le strade portano a Roma”

Level 8

Since: Nov 09

Mount Vesuvius

#130758 Dec 5, 2012
Freespirit8 wrote:
<quoted text>
The voice of an angel, his brilliance gone too soon. Grace is probably my favorite album of all time, and a must-listen for those who love rich, textural guitar riffs and haunting melodies.
Dream Brother - Jeff
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =YNPaKr6qzYgXX
Exclusive Book Excerpt: Leonard Cohen Writes 'Hallelujah' in 'The Holy or the Broken'
Rolling Stone Mon, Dec 3, 2012 4:40 PM EST...

Leonard Cohen's career had reached a low point when he wrote "Hallelujah." It was 1984, and he had been out of the spotlight for quite a long time. His 1977 LP, Death of a Ladies' Man, a collaboration with Phil Spector, was a commercial and critical disappointment, and his next album Recent Songs fared no better. When Cohen submitted the songs for his subsequent LP, Various Positions, to Columbia, label execs didn't hear "Hallelujah," the opening song of Side Two, as anything special. They didn't even want to release the album, though it eventually came out in Europe in 1984 and America the following year.

It took a few years for "Hallelujah" to emerge as a classic. Bob Dylan was one of the first to recognize its brilliance, playing it at a couple of shows in 1988. The Velvet Underground's John Cale tackled it on the piano for a 1991 Cohen tribute disc, and three years later, Jeff Buckley took inspiration from that rendition and covered it on his 1994 album, Grace. It was that version that eventually created a huge cult around the song, and it's since been covered by everybody from Bono to Bon Jovi. It's far and away Leonard Cohen's most famous composition, even though many people don't even realize that he wrote it.

Alan Light dove deep into the history of the song for his new book, The Holy or the Broken: Leonard Cohen, Jeff Buckley, and the Unlikely Ascent of 'Hallelujah.' Here is an excerpt.

In June 1984, Cohen and Lissauer recorded the album that would become Various Positions in New York's Quadrasonic Sound studios. In the album's arrangements, for the first time on Cohen's recordings, synthesizers were prominent; they would come to define his sound more and more in the years to come. A group of musicians from Tulsa provided the backbone of the arrangements. Sid McGinnis who joined the band at Late Night with David Letterman that same year and has remained with the show ever since, in addition to recording with the likes of Bob Dylan, David Bowie, and Dire Straits provided additional guitar parts.
Jennifer Warnes, who had sung backup with Cohen on previous albums and tours, was brought further into the spotlight as a featured vocalist, a counterpoint to the limited parameters of Cohen's voice. Hawaiian-born Anjani Thomas was one of the backup singers on these sessions; she would go on to become Cohen's longtime companion, and he produced an album of her singing his songs, Blue Alert, in 2006.

Level 8

Mount Vesuvius

#130759 Dec 5, 2012
Winter is here, again, Oh Lord
Haven't been home in a year or more
I hope she holds on a little longer....

Wheel In The Sky

http://youtu.be/IvNBuF_pYV0
Journey

Level 8

Mount Vesuvius

#130760 Dec 5, 2012
J ValJean wrote:
<quoted text>
**Midnight At The Oasis**
http://youtu.be/Yt2O4Y_sQ98
Maria Muldaur
ycsmusic*video
Exotic!
I could be her sheik.
Rose Law Firm

Salt Lake City, UT

#130761 Dec 5, 2012
United American Eagles wrote:
I am such a fucktard.
Indeed.

“Need a light?”

Level 8

Since: Oct 07

phos phoros

#130762 Dec 5, 2012
Vorenus wrote:
<quoted text>
Exclusive Book Excerpt: Leonard Cohen Writes 'Hallelujah' in 'The Holy or the Broken'
Rolling Stone Mon, Dec 3, 2012 4:40 PM EST...
Leonard Cohen's career had reached a low point when he wrote "Hallelujah." It was 1984, and he had been out of the spotlight for quite a long time. His 1977 LP, Death of a Ladies' Man, a collaboration with Phil Spector, was a commercial and critical disappointment, and his next album Recent Songs fared no better. When Cohen submitted the songs for his subsequent LP, Various Positions, to Columbia, label execs didn't hear "Hallelujah," the opening song of Side Two, as anything special. They didn't even want to release the album, though it eventually came out in Europe in 1984 and America the following year.
It took a few years for "Hallelujah" to emerge as a classic. Bob Dylan was one of the first to recognize its brilliance, playing it at a couple of shows in 1988. The Velvet Underground's John Cale tackled it on the piano for a 1991 Cohen tribute disc, and three years later, Jeff Buckley took inspiration from that rendition and covered it on his 1994 album, Grace. It was that version that eventually created a huge cult around the song, and it's since been covered by everybody from Bono to Bon Jovi. It's far and away Leonard Cohen's most famous composition, even though many people don't even realize that he wrote it.
Alan Light dove deep into the history of the song for his new book, The Holy or the Broken: Leonard Cohen, Jeff Buckley, and the Unlikely Ascent of 'Hallelujah.' Here is an excerpt.
In June 1984, Cohen and Lissauer recorded the album that would become Various Positions in New York's Quadrasonic Sound studios. In the album's arrangements, for the first time on Cohen's recordings, synthesizers were prominent; they would come to define his sound more and more in the years to come. A group of musicians from Tulsa provided the backbone of the arrangements. Sid McGinnis who joined the band at Late Night with David Letterman that same year and has remained with the show ever since, in addition to recording with the likes of Bob Dylan, David Bowie, and Dire Straits provided additional guitar parts.
Jennifer Warnes, who had sung backup with Cohen on previous albums and tours, was brought further into the spotlight as a featured vocalist, a counterpoint to the limited parameters of Cohen's voice. Hawaiian-born Anjani Thomas was one of the backup singers on these sessions; she would go on to become Cohen's longtime companion, and he produced an album of her singing his songs, Blue Alert, in 2006.
I seem to recall seeing Cohen perform the song on Letterman. Talk about a brilliant mind. It was the most requested song when Buckley played live, the crowd was always yelling "hallelujah!"
FritoBandito

Whittier, CA

#130763 Dec 5, 2012
Bonnie wrote:
<quoted text> You'll need it Corny..The ((((PUB)))). OMG..Yes this is sacred ground..ROTFLMAO.
FO!
FritoBandito

Whittier, CA

#130764 Dec 5, 2012
Bonnie wrote:
<quoted text>Yeppers?
You
ignoramus
pooh
pooh
panties
Eat
Rico's
Snot
I'd say it was English.
Yeah, ignorant dirt bag English....
FritoBandito

Whittier, CA

#130765 Dec 5, 2012
<quoted text>
Wait now Bonnie, The pub has it's own truth purveyor and how many threads can say that? Ya see Bonnie, even trolls (like Frito) know when the ground is hallowed (by the presence of truth).
Let the truth be posted even here in this low place of trolls.
Real United American Eagles
Your truth lost the election, dirt bag!
FritoBandito

Whittier, CA

#130766 Dec 5, 2012
Bonnie wrote:
<quoted text>LOL. Even sh!t holes can use a dose of the truth. Carry on. LOL.
Your truth lost, butch!
FritoBandito

Whittier, CA

#130767 Dec 5, 2012
Yup, justice tempered with mercy, that is what i'm known for.
Real United American Eagles, purveyor, posting the truth, bringing the justice and showing the mercy (when necessary) in Roses.
Yeah, and turning blue from being constipated. Loser....

Level 8

Mount Vesuvius

#130770 Dec 5, 2012
Freespirit8 wrote:
<quoted text>
I seem to recall seeing Cohen perform the song on Letterman. Talk about a brilliant mind. It was the most requested song when Buckley played live, the crowd was always yelling "hallelujah!"
Buckley's live performances must have been awesome.

Level 8

Mount Vesuvius

#130771 Dec 5, 2012
Vandals destroy millions of dollars worth of Italian wine
By Mike Krumboltz The Sideshow 2 hrs 56 mins ago...

It seems borderline sacrilegious. A group of vandals destroyed millions of dollars worth of Case Basse di Soldera wine in Italy's Tuscan hills. No bottles were stolen.

About 16,500 gallons of future Brunello di Montalcino were lost. The winery's owner posted a statement following the destruction, which read it part:

"This gesture deserves no description, such is the seriousness that it will ring out well beyond the boundaries of our winery. The authorities will do their duty, we trust, with the help of those who want to collaborate."

Brunello is one of Italy's best known (and priciest) wines. Bloomberg reports that it is made "exclusively with Sangiovese grapes according to the standards set in 1888 for the producers. The wine is aged in oak casks for five years before it can be drunk." Bottles of the winery's 2006 vintage sell for between $250 and $350 each. This ain't your average bottle of Two Buck Chuck.

The winery is run by Gianfranco Soldera and his family. He told Reuters, "This is beyond me. I can't get into the minds of the people who did this but I guess if someone plans to intimidate me it has to start somehow." He continued: "We will carry on," Soldera said. "We have passion for this land and its produce and no amount of intimidation can stop us."
United American Eagles

Indianapolis, IN

#130772 Dec 5, 2012
Vorenus wrote:
Vandals destroy millions of dollars worth of Italian wine
By Mike Krumboltz The Sideshow 2 hrs 56 mins ago...
It seems borderline sacrilegious. A group of vandals destroyed millions of dollars worth of Case Basse di Soldera wine in Italy's Tuscan hills. No bottles were stolen.
About 16,500 gallons of future Brunello di Montalcino were lost. The winery's owner posted a statement following the destruction, which read it part:
"This gesture deserves no description, such is the seriousness that it will ring out well beyond the boundaries of our winery. The authorities will do their duty, we trust, with the help of those who want to collaborate."
Brunello is one of Italy's best known (and priciest) wines. Bloomberg reports that it is made "exclusively with Sangiovese grapes according to the standards set in 1888 for the producers. The wine is aged in oak casks for five years before it can be drunk." Bottles of the winery's 2006 vintage sell for between $250 and $350 each. This ain't your average bottle of Two Buck Chuck.
The winery is run by Gianfranco Soldera and his family. He told Reuters, "This is beyond me. I can't get into the minds of the people who did this but I guess if someone plans to intimidate me it has to start somehow." He continued: "We will carry on," Soldera said. "We have passion for this land and its produce and no amount of intimidation can stop us."
Pardon me, would you have any grey poupon?
Foxy is Foxy

Indianapolis, IN

#130773 Dec 5, 2012
Who made Slim cry again?
Nein, you schweinhund!
United American Eagles

Indianapolis, IN

#130774 Dec 5, 2012
FritoBandito wrote:
<quoted text>
Your truth lost the election, dirt bag!
We've moved on, now Frito. Is your POTUS going to get you that amnesty? I think not (he doesn't seem to be moving in that direction, does he?). You and Raza have much work to do, but i fear you've gotten lazy. Even La Raza knows not to trifle with Barack, no? They better hope they can keep the Dream, if you know what i mean and it won't be by antagonizing United American Eagles. LOL and LOL

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Immigration Reform Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Parties assess variables looking at 2016 map 9 min Le Jimbo 19
Judge Skeptical of Sheriff Arpaio's Obama Immig... 7 hr barefoot2626 65
Democrats optimistic on 2016 presidential chances 9 hr Hooogle It 4
Can Obama's presidency be saved? 12 hr spocko 936
Illegal immigrant mother seeks refuge in Philad... 13 hr El Guapo 16
64% of Utahns disapprove of Obama's immigration... 14 hr ima-Ilis Myka Ash... 1
Judge tosses Sheriff Joe Arpaio's immigration l... 15 hr ima-Ilis Myka Ash... 1
More from around the web