Commentary: GOP must embrace immigration reform

Mar 3, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: McClatchy

The wake-up call Republicans received last Election Day has the party and some of its more popular and strident leaders engaged in an "extreme makeover." It was as if that alarm clock Nov.

Comments
41 - 60 of 64 Comments Last updated Mar 10, 2013
Nanuq

Marietta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

Judged:

Truth Speaker wrote:
<quoted text>
I realize that wet backs and their supporters have a tough time handling the truth, but what do you call it when a wet back takes a carpenter's job AND had three kids in public schools, uses emergency rooms when they have colds and steals an American's I'D to get welfare? Uh, taking jobs and stealing freebies, of course.
let me educate you nazi boy...if a Mexican who you are claiming it's not speaking English it's stealing a carpenter job is because your beloved toothless hillbilly boy was high on pain killers. On the same note if I lose my job to a non-English uneducated Mexican then by God I don't deserve that job. Those three kids that you are talking are most likely US citizens and they are entirely entitled to have free education. Also you are saying that they are stealing "Americans I.D" to get welfare .... So by your own words Americans are living on welfare .... Take my advice... Go n f yourself !
Memo From Turner

Bellmore, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

Judged:

tomin cali wrote:
<quoted text>
siding with illegal aliens alone shows you unfit without any American values.also shows more of an enemy of the citizens of the USA than anything else. your words are liken to nappy's
Illiteracy is a sad thing.
potter

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

Judged:

GOP will not win the WH if they wont do something about immigration. That's the reason they are singing Cielito Mundo.
Oldglory

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

Haiti wrote:
yes the must if the want the white house in 2016
Do you actually think that Hispanics will come out in droves to vote Republican if they do? Hispanics and other minorities vote mostly Democrat based on the other issues. Democrats are already pushing for amnesty so why would Hispanics change their votes to the GOP on that issue? If Republicans think otherwise then they are utter fools to sell our country's soveirgnty down the river for the ethnocentric Hispanic vote.
Question: Why do Hispanic-Americans think their ethnic group should be above our immigration laws in the first place?
Oldglory

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

Nanuq wrote:
<quoted text> let me educate you nazi boy...if a Mexican who you are claiming it's not speaking English it's stealing a carpenter job is because your beloved toothless hillbilly boy was high on pain killers. On the same note if I lose my job to a non-English uneducated Mexican then by God I don't deserve that job. Those three kids that you are talking are most likely US citizens and they are entirely entitled to have free education. Also you are saying that they are stealing "Americans I.D" to get welfare .... So by your own words Americans are living on welfare .... Take my advice... Go n f yourself !
What a potty-mouthed, immature, uncivil response. Employers are hiring illegal aliens because they are cheaper and they don't give a damn whether they speak English or not! It is against the law to do that! You stereotyping of our blue-collared American workforce is just shameful. So all Americans doing that kind of work are toothless hillbillies on drugs? What an utter ass you are to make such a statement. It is all about greed on the employers part NOTHING ELSE! And you want to see them get richer by breaking the law?

It is just a fact the illegal aliens steal ID to work or that they are working under the table and not paying income taxes. Those are felonies for God's sake!! Illegal aliens have not right to be in this country much less to work here. What part of that aren't you getting? If they weren't here illegally they wouldn't be producing anchor babies on our soil and robbing our welfare coffers blind in so many ways. Some of their kids aren't even U.S. citizens but are here illegally just like their parents are. WTH is wrong with you? So it is Nazism to want our immigration laws respected and enforced? Why don't you tell that to Mexico and every other country in the world who has immigration laws?
Oldglory

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

Nanuq wrote:
<quoted text>are they stealing your job or they steal freebies from government ? You can't preach both agendas
They do both. Their wages are low and the employers pass their social costs on to we the taxpayer. If they have anchor babies they not only work but get welfare through them to subsidize their low wages. Are you all for the rich getting rich off the backs of illegal aliens while passing their healthcare, education costs on to we the taxpayer and at the expense of denying Americans jobs?
Oldglory

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

North American Proud wrote:
I doubt the GOP will embrace immigration for 3 reasons: they will get more profits in their corporations by paying backbreaking non-citizens under the table, they get lots of campaign contributions from prisons for profit organizations like the GEO group to keep locking people up and collect taxpayer money, and most are old white guys that don't have hispanic, asian, or black friends.
Oh, stop with this nonsense! If you don't think there are any Democrat business owners profiting off of cheap, illegal labor then I'd like to know what you're smoking. Except the Democrats take it one step further and are pandering to Hispanics for votes while selliing our country down the river to illegal invaders.

Objecting to illegal immigration isn't just an old white guy thing. So stop with the racism also. Illegal immigration is and should be of great concern to all Americans. Your last sentence it just utter BS. What does having or not having minority friends have to do with ILLEGAL immigration?
Joe Nelson

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

potter wrote:
The Republicans have no other recourse but to do something about immigration. They were convinced that they wont have a Republican president without the Latino and Asian votes.
I agree. Americans must surrender to Obama's vision for a Cuban Collectivist future for their pitiful families. No room for Repubs. They dont' suffer fools well. And, Obama Nation is definitely a Ship of Fools.
ronnie

Orem, UT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

THANK'S TO OLD GLORY. This shouldn't even be an argument. Why would any legal American continue to defend criminal aliens unless, of course they too are the same. I always feel insulted when I hear people acting like they have any rights to tell Legal Americans how to think. It defies logic that any legal American would want 20 million extra people using our Natural resources, Social programs, etc., while legal Americans are out of work. They are not welcome. Plain and simple...... We want a Country that stays American, no matter the color of your skin. Patriot's only PLEASE!!!! We Love this Country and watch it hitting the skids with all the overwhelming explosion of our Population. It's not Legal, nor is it Moral to allow this Country to go to hell because of Politics. Jeb Bush has it right. Come here work if you want, but do it legally and you'll never be an American Citizen without the application process. And those that break those laws need to be deported. This invasion is unsustainable.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

Memo From Turner wrote:
<quoted text>
Illiteracy is a sad thing.
nappy? rico? what person are you today? seem to be a la raza terrorist.
Mayela

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

Farms just outside of towns like Watsonville and Castroville can give you a taste of this backbreaking work, if you’d like. Bring your own buckets, and you can pick all the strawberries and olallieberries that you’d like for a few bucks a pound. After an hour of hard work, you can head back into your air-conditioned car and then home. But working in these fields all day is hardly fun, and with the national debate over immigration taking an even more divisive tone, the United Farm Workers (UFW) has issued a challenge: sign up on a web site and replace a farm worker.

The UFW has started a campaign,“Take Our Jobs,” aimed at those who complain that undocumented workers are taking Americans’ jobs. Visit the site, and you have an opportunity to enter your name, email, and zip code. Be aware of the disclaimer, however:

Job may include using hand tools such as knives, hoes, shovels, etc. Duties may include tilling the soil, transplanting, weeding, thinning, picking, cutting, sorting & packing of harvested produce. May set up & operate irrigation equip. Work is performed outside in all weather conditions (Summertime 90+ degree weather) & is physically demanding requiring workers to bend, stoop, lift & carry up to 50 lbs on a regular basis.

You are then asked if you are willing to work 6 days a week, 8-10 hours a day, with the caveat that if you live outside the Pacific Coast states and Hawaii, you may not receive overtime. http://www.triplepundit.com/2010/07/ufw-start...
Oldglory

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

Mayela wrote:
Farms just outside of towns like Watsonville and Castroville can give you a taste of this backbreaking work, if you’d like. Bring your own buckets, and you can pick all the strawberries and olallieberries that you’d like for a few bucks a pound. After an hour of hard work, you can head back into your air-conditioned car and then home. But working in these fields all day is hardly fun, and with the national debate over immigration taking an even more divisive tone, the United Farm Workers (UFW) has issued a challenge: sign up on a web site and replace a farm worker.
The UFW has started a campaign,“Take Our Jobs,” aimed at those who complain that undocumented workers are taking Americans’ jobs. Visit the site, and you have an opportunity to enter your name, email, and zip code. Be aware of the disclaimer, however:
Job may include using hand tools such as knives, hoes, shovels, etc. Duties may include tilling the soil, transplanting, weeding, thinning, picking, cutting, sorting & packing of harvested produce. May set up & operate irrigation equip. Work is performed outside in all weather conditions (Summertime 90+ degree weather) & is physically demanding requiring workers to bend, stoop, lift & carry up to 50 lbs on a regular basis.
You are then asked if you are willing to work 6 days a week, 8-10 hours a day, with the caveat that if you live outside the Pacific Coast states and Hawaii, you may not receive overtime. http://www.triplepundit.com/2010/07/ufw-start...
You are so miss-informed and obviously drinking the pro-illegal kool-aid. There are unlimited H-2A visas for LEGAL, foreign ag workers but some growers refuse to use them because it is cheaper to hire illegal aliens and it increases their profits and it against the law! Or doesn't that matter to you while these growers pass their social costs unto we the taxpayer? Are you up for making them richer while we foot the bill? Only 3% of illegal aliens are picking crops anyway. What do you suppose the other 97% are doing?

“Peace”

Level 8

Since: May 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

b4its2late wrote:
This Republican already told my Reps, If they vote to give the illegals any breaks, I stop voting.
Dont take my vote for granted. The Democrats will never get it, but the Republican wont either if they cave on illegal aliens. I will stop voting.
Smart thinking let's all just stop voting that will show them. LMAO
Nanuq

Marietta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

Oldglory wrote:
<quoted text>
They do both. Their wages are low and the employers pass their social costs on to we the taxpayer. If they have anchor babies they not only work but get welfare through them to subsidize their low wages. Are you all for the rich getting rich off the backs of illegal aliens while passing their healthcare, education costs on to we the taxpayer and at the expense of denying Americans jobs?
anchor baby? Is that how you call an American citizen ?what makes you more special than othe fellow American ? Just because you are racist that doesn't mean you are a patriot!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Judged:

Nanuq wrote:
<quoted text> anchor baby? Is that how you call an American citizen ?what makes you more special than othe fellow American ? Just because you are racist that doesn't mean you are a patriot!
just because e you want them here doesn't mean anyone else should support them.

anchor is the right word,no love for these kids from the so called parents they are used only to keep the parents here.using kids just like other enemies of the USA have done for decades. sad that these folks care nothing for their kids.putting a kid into a jam like this. the kids should see all thier problems are their parents doing.
Nanuq

Williamston, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Judged:

tomin cali wrote:
<quoted text>
just because e you want them here doesn't mean anyone else should support them.
anchor is the right word,no love for these kids from the so called parents they are used only to keep the parents here.using kids just like other enemies of the USA have done for decades. sad that these folks care nothing for their kids.putting a kid into a jam like this. the kids should see all thier problems are their parents doing.
those "anchors" will remember Republican Party when they will go vote

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Judged:

Nanuq wrote:
<quoted text> those "anchors" will remember Republican Party when they will go vote
they will fail if we can find away to stop beggers from voting.
Nanuq

Williamston, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Judged:

tomin cali wrote:
<quoted text>
they will fail if we can find away to stop beggers from voting.
you do have to decide what are they...beggers or they stealing your job. You can't have it both ways

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2013

Judged:

Nanuq wrote:
<quoted text> you do have to decide what are they...beggers or they stealing your job. You can't have it both ways
can't have it both ways? they are getting it both ways. the beggars start out dropping anchor,after coming here knocked up or get knocked up here and drop one. the job stealing is when an illegal alien works here.

seems to me they get rewarded on both counts.then its hard for them to change being corruption in so ingrained in their culture.
Mayela

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 8, 2013

Judged:

Another baby boy, Peregrine White, was born to Susanna White after Mayflower arrived in New England.

http://www.plimoth.org/learn/just-kids/homewo...

PEREGRINE WHITE, truly the FIRST "ANCHOR BABY"!!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

59 Users are viewing the Immigration Reform Forum right now

Search the Immigration Reform Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
The President has failed us (Jun '12) 7 min Taletha 244,103
Obama aides were warned of brewing border crisis 35 min Black Rhino 96
Immigration rally in Long Beach for Central Ame... 36 min para psychologist 20
Bachmann says she may make another presidential... 38 min Petal Power 112
Rose's Pub (Mar '10) 44 min anne bonny 134,972
Paul vs Conway: The Nastiest Debate Of 2010 | T... (Oct '10) 58 min culture vulture 16,118
Anti-Immigrant Hate Coming From Everyday Americans 1 hr Jaimie 10
•••
•••