Commentary: GOP must embrace immigration reform

Mar 3, 2013 Full story: McClatchy 64

The wake-up call Republicans received last Election Day has the party and some of its more popular and strident leaders engaged in an "extreme makeover." It was as if that alarm clock Nov.

Full Story
Fed Up Vet

Herndon, VA

#22 Mar 4, 2013
The notion that Republicans need to pass immigration reform to win Hispanic votes is nuts. If Democrats thought for an instant that would happen, immigration reform would die faster than you can say immigration reform.
Mike

Covina, CA

#23 Mar 4, 2013
The Republicans are fools if they think passing a amnesty will get them the Hispanic vote. Hispanics support big government and that's because so many Hispanics use government programs. U.S.-born Hispanic households in California use welfare programs at twice the rate of native-born non-Hispanic households. And that is because nearly one-quarter of all Hispanics are poor in California, compared to a little over one-tenth of non-Hispanics. Nearly seven in ten poor children in the state are Hispanic, and one in three Hispanic children is poor, compared to less than one in six non-Hispanic children. The Hispanic out-of-wedlock birth rate is 53 percent, about twice that of whites.

Voter surveys show that Hispanics have overwhelmingly favored Democratics for decades. It would be really stupid for the Republicans to grant amnesty to illegal aliens because it would just create more Democratic voters!
Mike

Covina, CA

#24 Mar 4, 2013
juan wrote:
<quoted text>Si se puede! Soon compadre! Putos green goats!
Go away.
Truth Speaker

Danielson, CT

#25 Mar 4, 2013
Mike wrote:
The Republicans are fools if they think passing a amnesty will get them the Hispanic vote. Hispanics support big government and that's because so many Hispanics use government programs. U.S.-born Hispanic households in California use welfare programs at twice the rate of native-born non-Hispanic households. And that is because nearly one-quarter of all Hispanics are poor in California, compared to a little over one-tenth of non-Hispanics. Nearly seven in ten poor children in the state are Hispanic, and one in three Hispanic children is poor, compared to less than one in six non-Hispanic children. The Hispanic out-of-wedlock birth rate is 53 percent, about twice that of whites.
Voter surveys show that Hispanics have overwhelmingly favored Democratics for decades. It would be really stupid for the Republicans to grant amnesty to illegal aliens because it would just create more Democratic voters!
This is EXACTLY why the republicans should not pander to the hispanics. They are permanent democrats, the majority are part of the "give me" group that is destroying the US. With the illegal aliens given amnesty (will never happen) what will they demand? The first thing will be official bilingualism, then more welfare and more benefits. They will kill the US. Juan says se si puede as he fingers his ass, btw
Nanuq

Duluth, GA

#26 Mar 4, 2013
Mike wrote:
are they stealing your job or they steal freebies from government ? You can't preach both agendas
Truth Speaker

Danielson, CT

#27 Mar 4, 2013
Nanuq wrote:
<quoted text>are they stealing your job or they steal freebies from government ? You can't preach both agendas
I realize that wet backs and their supporters have a tough time handling the truth, but what do you call it when a wet back takes a carpenter's job AND had three kids in public schools, uses emergency rooms when they have colds and steals an American's I'D to get welfare? Uh, taking jobs and stealing freebies, of course.
Reality Check

Jacksonville, FL

#28 Mar 4, 2013
Speeders Kill Kids wrote:
GOP would have won the election if their own member chris christie hadn't stabbed them in the back. No need to change their message - they need to toss out the traitors like fatboy.
Let me phrase this a little better, the Republican party comprises of so many factions that has made it so fragile even a slight jab from any one can hurt very badly.
Memo From Turner

Bellmore, NY

#29 Mar 4, 2013
Truth Speaker wrote:
<quoted text>
I realize that wet backs and their supporters have a tough time handling the truth, but what do you call it when a wet back takes a carpenter's job AND had three kids in public schools, uses emergency rooms when they have colds and steals an American's I'D to get welfare? Uh, taking jobs and stealing freebies, of course.
That's good. When someone calls you on BS and you have no response, just call them names and make up vague stories.
Luis

Leander, TX

#31 Mar 4, 2013
Yes America lives. And I love America to death despite me being illegal. I hope they give us immigration reform this year
Luis

Leander, TX

#32 Mar 4, 2013
Those over used statements that illegals will always be democrats because we use government programs is a lie. Don't get fooled by what u read or hear from racist people. Go to the facts and do your research so you can better give an opinion. Illegals do pay taxes most of them. Work so hard in any Job for little money and no benefits even if we had abilities to be business owners but we can't due to lack of papers. Yes there are stupid ones who use welfare and other services but hey!! I've come across so many lazy whites and blacks who never work and have many kids and just depend on welfare. Housing assistance and food stamps. They don't do nothing other than sell drugs and sit their lazy ass on the couch all day long watching tv. So think about the whole picture everybody please.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#34 Mar 4, 2013
as we speak more are coming do to nappy opening the door and placing the welcome mat.

Level 2

Since: Feb 08

Hypoluxo Fl

#35 Mar 4, 2013
Truth Speaker wrote:
<quoted text>
What do you call the guy that replaced the skilled $25HR carpenter with the unskilled $7.50HR illegal immigrant?

A hypocritical teabagging Republican.
Memo From Turner

Bellmore, NY

#36 Mar 4, 2013
tomin cali wrote:
as we speak more are coming do to nappy opening the door and placing the welcome mat.
Do you have data to back this up or are you just talking out of your ass?
Mike

Baldwin Park, CA

#37 Mar 4, 2013
UW prof David Canon says a viable GOP must reach out to Latinos. Why? Are they special? Certain Latino leaders seem to think so, and so do the media. But if they are, why then aren’t we being told why they are special, i.e., how their “concerns” and “needs” are different from those of the rest of us?

Hispanics didn’t help to beat Mitt Romney; the Republican Party did. All the GOP had to do was adopt as a core issue the absurdity of allowing 7 million illegal immigrants to keep their jobs in nonfarming industries while 20 million Americans can’t find full-time work. Add to this that each year since 1990 we’ve been issuing 1 million work permits to new legal immigrants.

All citizens, regardless of their skin color, are affected by cheap foreign labor flooding a dismal job market. According to the Center for Immigration Studies, two-thirds of new jobs since 2009 have gone to immigrants.

Newspapers are full of stories these days about how amnesty for 11 million illegal immigrants is the only viable solution to bringing Hispanics into the Republican camp, but history says differently. Immigrants traditionally vote Democratic, so if the GOP is successful in granting another general amnesty, all they will have done is create millions more Democrats.

If you think the GOP isn’t the sharpest knife in the drawer right now, wait and see what happens if they join forces with the Democrats in approving amnesty and driving the last nail in the coffin of American workers.

PLEASE SIGN THE PETITION AGAINST AN AMNESTY FOR ILLEGAL ALIENS!

WHY SIGNING THIS PETITION IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN OTHERS!

While every petition, fax, email and phone call against the amnesty is important, signing this petition is by far the most important single thing one of your friends or relatives can do.

The reason is that signing this petition puts a person into an email system at NumbersUSA that will alert them every time one of their elected officials needs to hear something specific about immigration. Nobody else but NumbersUSA runs a customized grassroots mobilization system like this that constantly gathers information on Capitol Hill about your Members of Congress and then lets you know what they are doing, saying and thinking about immigration policy.

The New York Times and other mass media have repeatedly stated that NumbersUSA's mobilization network led the efforts that defeated the close-call amnesty efforts of 2007 and 2010. But the forces for open borders are far more powerful today. Please help by passing along this Petition to everybody you know.

https://www.numbersusa.com/petition...

Location hidden

#38 Mar 4, 2013
Memo From Turner wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you have data to back this up or are you just talking out of your ass?
maybe i shall do like the illegal alien supporting traitors and fraud some up.
Mayela

Atlanta, GA

#39 Mar 4, 2013
From mountains high under starry skies
Comes my lovely Cielito Lindo.
Thru the gate where the dancers wait
Come my laughing Cielito Lindo.

Ay, ay, ay, ay!
No time for sadness,
When music meets with her dancing feet
She will fill our days up with gladness.

http://www.edact.com/files/lyrics/CD56.pdf
Memo From Turner

Bellmore, NY

#40 Mar 4, 2013
tomin cali wrote:
<quoted text>
maybe i shall do like the illegal alien supporting traitors and fraud some up.
So you are just full of shit and you do not even try to hide it. You are a fraud.

Location hidden

#41 Mar 4, 2013
Memo From Turner wrote:
<quoted text>
So you are just full of shit and you do not even try to hide it. You are a fraud.
the language shows your values.
Memo From Turner

Bellmore, NY

#42 Mar 4, 2013
tomin cali wrote:
<quoted text>
the language shows your values.
Values? Yes with the bile that you spew and your continuous stream of lies you are the one to talk about values.

Location hidden

#43 Mar 4, 2013
Memo From Turner wrote:
<quoted text>
Values? Yes with the bile that you spew and your continuous stream of lies you are the one to talk about values.
siding with illegal aliens alone shows you unfit without any American values.also shows more of an enemy of the citizens of the USA than anything else. your words are liken to nappy's

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Immigration Reform Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Immigration Advocates Try To Assuage Fears Over... 7 min tomin cali 1
The Smart Way to Stop Illegal Immigration 10 min sandy1 38
Ron Johnson tells constituents U.S. must secure... 17 min tomin cali 2
Crossing the border to attend US schools 36 min huey goins 10
Boehner, Back in DC, Denies Mocking GOP Colleag... (Apr '14) 5 hr swedenforever 13
Can Obama's presidency be saved? 8 hr Hingle McCringleb... 1,677
Rose's Pub (Mar '10) 8 hr anne bonny 137,372
More from around the web