What does a 'secure' border look like?

Feb 23, 2013 Full story: Reno Gazette-Journal 57

U.S. Secretary of Homeland Security Janet Napolitano speaks in the U.S. Customs and Border Protection Office of Air and Marine hangar in El Paso, Texas, on immigration and border security, Tuesday, Feb.

Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Anonymous

Chicago, IL

#1 Feb 23, 2013
This article is a good read. It takes into account many different views of people who live in the border states.
I particularly liked Sheriff Tony Estrada's (from Nog.ales,Ariz.)viewpoint, where is stated that the border can not be completely sealed, but contained and that the problem is not only the car.tels but the American demand for dr.ugs. Which I believe to be true.
There is a lot of interesting points in this article.
Also,as Marco R.ubio stated, " We need a responsible/permanent solutions", "We must follow through on the broken promises of the past to secure the border".,,, and I believe that also.
Illegal Immigration is a huge problem and if we do not get a firm hold/control of the situation we will continue to see the same and the worst is yet to come.
Dee Dee Dee

Emmaus, PA

#2 Feb 23, 2013
"With deep roots in suburban Los Angeles and cooking jobs that pay up to $1,200 a week, Scott, 31, will likely try the same route a third time."

$1200.00 a week to cook. This is a job that an American won't do? I know people that own restaurants and would be glad to take home that much a week. Of course there aren't many U.S. citizens left in L.A.

Level 6

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#3 Feb 23, 2013
This is what a secure border looks like:

http://kcinvestmentproperty.files.wordpress.c...
Communist Obama Supporter

Los Angeles, CA

#4 Feb 23, 2013
The border is very secure now. Only a no brained republican racist would suggest otherwise.
Anonymous

Chicago, IL

#5 Feb 23, 2013
Dee Dee Dee wrote:
"With deep roots in suburban Los Angeles and cooking jobs that pay up to $1,200 a week, Scott, 31, will likely try the same route a third time."
$1200.00 a week to cook. This is a job that an American won't do? I know people that own restaurants and would be glad to take home that much a week. Of course there aren't many U.S. citizens left in L.A.
I wonder if he has a Culinary Degree...LOL....

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#6 Feb 23, 2013
seems like those on the border who say it is secure need to be checked and see how far involved they are with the cartels.

our border can be secure with an all out effort so until the gov is willing to go at it full force as if they really want it done we will have the same double talk.

if a citizen can secure a few lots by himself then surely the US gov can.

we need to get out of nafta.
I Think

El Paso, TX

#7 Feb 23, 2013
tomin cali wrote:
seems like those on the border who say it is secure need to be checked and see how far involved they are with the cartels.
our border can be secure with an all out effort so until the gov is willing to go at it full force as if they really want it done we will have the same double talk.
I think a secure border should look like the Great Wall of China it worked for them a few years back and it worked pretty well in keeping the rif raf out of their country. Thats is why their #1 in the world in economics and the USA owes them after Obama is done 949 trillion dollars
Anonymous

Chicago, IL

#8 Feb 23, 2013
tomin cali wrote:
The border needs to be secure,no doubt about it.The question remains ,,, will it/will they secure our border?
Will they ever? To much money exchanging hands,too many people profiting. Because of that I have my doubts it will ever be completely secured. Maybe if a high official in office were to suffer the same crimes committed against the average Joe.
The traitors in our WH,the illegal advocates don't see nor deal with what we are forced to live with on an every day basis,so they don't care to understand the urgency,the importance of keeping these people in check/in their own country and forcing them to obey our laws by going through the proper channels to come here legally and to keeping us safe from their drugs and violent behavior.

“A Nation of Legal Immigrants”

Level 8

Since: Nov 07

Lake City Florida,/ Nebraska

#9 Feb 23, 2013
Bama Yankee wrote:
This is what a secure border looks like:

http://kcinvestmentproperty.files.wordpress.c...
Ray Stevens - Come to the USA

&fe ature=relmfu

Ray Stevens - Throw the Bums Out

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

“A Nation of Legal Immigrants”

Level 8

Since: Nov 07

Lake City Florida,/ Nebraska

#10 Feb 23, 2013
Communist Obama Supporter wrote:
The border is very secure now. Only a no brained republican racist would suggest otherwise.
Footage on Mexicans crossing the border

&fe ature=related

Illegal Border Crossing (Short Documentary)

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Unguarded border bridges could be route into US

ACALA, Texas - On each side of a towering West Texas stretch of the $2.4 billion border fence designed to block people from illegally entering the country, there are two metal footbridges, clear paths into the United States from Mexico.

The footpaths that could easily guide illegal immigrants and smugglers across the Rio Grande without getting wet seem to be there because of what amounts to federal linguistics. While just about anyone would call them bridges, the U.S.-Mexico group that owns them calls them something else.

"Technically speaking it's not a bridge, it's a grade control structure," said Sally Spener, spokeswoman for the International Boundary and Water Commission, which maintains the integrity of the 1,200-mile river border between the U.S. and Mexico. The structures under the spans help prevent the river - and therefore the international border - from shifting.

Whatever they're called, there are fresh sneaker tracks on the structures - indicating they're being used as passages into the country.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_border_bridges;...
Unreliable Sources

Los Angeles, CA

#11 Feb 23, 2013
Cricket 23 wrote:
<quoted text>
Footage on Mexicans crossing the border
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =LbkAvG2rjbMXX&feature=rel ated
Illegal Border Crossing (Short Documentary)
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Unguarded border bridges could be route into US
ACALA, Texas - On each side of a towering West Texas stretch of the $2.4 billion border fence designed to block people from illegally entering the country, there are two metal footbridges, clear paths into the United States from Mexico.
The footpaths that could easily guide illegal immigrants and smugglers across the Rio Grande without getting wet seem to be there because of what amounts to federal linguistics. While just about anyone would call them bridges, the U.S.-Mexico group that owns them calls them something else.
"Technically speaking it's not a bridge, it's a grade control structure," said Sally Spener, spokeswoman for the International Boundary and Water Commission, which maintains the integrity of the 1,200-mile river border between the U.S. and Mexico. The structures under the spans help prevent the river - and therefore the international border - from shifting.
Whatever they're called, there are fresh sneaker tracks on the structures - indicating they're being used as passages into the country.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_border_bridges;...
LOL!!!!

Youtube?

Yahoo News?

What's Next?

Fox News?

HAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!!!

Los Angeles, CA

#12 Feb 23, 2013
It's obvious that the southern border is more secure now than it was during Bush.

Thank GOD Obama is the President and not some pea brained republican who's soft on illegal immigration.
JWRussell USNR

El Paso, TX

#13 Feb 23, 2013
The damned border will never be secure as long as the Tea Party is running things. They want to screw us all by making us drink dirty water, breathe polluted air and make our wives and girlfriends get their abortions in a back alley.

Los Angeles, CA

#14 Feb 23, 2013
I was in Mexico today and seen a very secure border. What you hear allot of is cheap lazy ranchers who expect the US government to guard their property for free.

Sorry but if they can afford 100's of acres of land then they can afford 100's of security guards also.
Brian Terry

El Paso, TX

#15 Feb 23, 2013
only communist want secure borders to keep its people in.
Korea
Russia
China
cuba
tea baggers should move to those countries. We want no walls or borders. Its human nature to migrate decent human beings have been doing for thousands of years. No you moron tea baggers the earth isn't 6000 yrs old.
amandacares

Rockport, TX

#16 Feb 23, 2013
I witness what walls do to families and countries. I vote no wall to ever be built. Look at Ireland, Germany, Russia, China where walls divide people, families, ideas of society. Walls create HATE.
I been to Texas and seen the wall and the people who run to FREEDOM. I pray we tear this down and try another solution. Have you ever witness a child hand reaching for her family thru this wall. It breaks my heart to see it. I cried for days after. the sadness it brings to the child and family and humanity. Love your neighbor and your family. The time has come to open the borders and let them come.
Snake Eyes

Long Beach, CA

#17 Feb 23, 2013
It looks like a multi-billion dollar connected to a chicken wire fence.
Snake Eyes

Long Beach, CA

#18 Feb 23, 2013
`City on a Hill' Is No Place for a Border Fence

But it is more than just chicken-wire that some leading Republicans have wrong. Their strong anti-immigration stance is a break from Reagan's vision of America that could have disastrous long-run consequences. Reagan often thought of America as representing John Winthrop's ``city on a hill.''

Read more: http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news...

Level 6

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#20 Feb 23, 2013
amandacares wrote:
I witness what walls do to families and countries. I vote no wall to ever be built. Look at Ireland, Germany, Russia, China where walls divide people, families, ideas of society. Walls create HATE.
I been to Texas and seen the wall and the people who run to FREEDOM. I pray we tear this down and try another solution. Have you ever witness a child hand reaching for her family thru this wall. It breaks my heart to see it. I cried for days after. the sadness it brings to the child and family and humanity. Love your neighbor and your family. The time has come to open the borders and let them come.
Good fences make good neighbors.
Mexicans should be neighbors, not invaders.
Snake Eyes

Long Beach, CA

#21 Feb 23, 2013
Like a good neighbor, state owned farms are there.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Immigration Reform Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Rove group blasts 'Obama-Grimes Amnesty Plan' .... 1 hr Electra41 1
How Elizabeth Warren will harm fast food worker... 1 hr Monty 2
The President has failed us (Jun '12) 2 hr - Lady Liberty - 262,127
Susan Frederick-Gray v. Joe Arpaio 2 hr bod 5
Rose's Pub (Mar '10) 5 hr Angels Flight 135,831
Obama lays out immigration goals, not timing 6 hr Asian Guy 44
Native Americans say "Mexicans are NOT Indians" (Mar '08) 7 hr Freedomx4 1,886
•••

Immigration Reform People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE