Coca-Cola Super Bowl ad ignites onlin...

Coca-Cola Super Bowl ad ignites online debate

There are 887 comments on the TheBostonChannel.com story from Feb 3, 2014, titled Coca-Cola Super Bowl ad ignites online debate. In it, TheBostonChannel.com reports that:

Coca-Cola's Super Bowl commercial Sunday night was at first glance a moving tribute to America's diversity, featuring a full minute of ordinary people of different races and ethnicity doing ordinary American activities, as the classic song "America the Beautiful" plays throughout the ad.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TheBostonChannel.com.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Level 1

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#282 Feb 6, 2014
X -Man- wrote:
<quoted text>
Fear can cause people to behave like imbeciles.
BINGO!

It's fear more than anything else.
Don Joe

Saint Paul, MN

#283 Feb 6, 2014
spud wrote:
Real Americans sing America the Beautiful in English. Diversity causes far more problems than benefits. Real Americans don't watch those stupid commercials. They spend that time taking a leak and getting another beer.
That's right. Remember, if the English is good enough for the Bible, then it is good enough for me.

Level 1

Tawas City, Michigan

#284 Feb 6, 2014
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
You make a good point there. The ad did stir up a lot of publicity. I think people may have taken the ad as promoting multiculturalism or numerous separated, self segregated cultures not taking part in the American culture. I'm pretty sure people have no problem with different ethnicities taking part in a single culture, which, I feel, the ad attempted to convey, but taken the wrong way.
Games? What games?:-)
But only CERTAIN people saw the ad as promoting "multiculturalism" over the "American culture".

The question to ask is what do those people have in common?

The answer will tell you WHY only certain people saw the ad that way.

Level 1

Tawas City, Michigan

#285 Feb 6, 2014
Liberals R Defective wrote:
<quoted text>In my book, liars are not honorable. I know that's a hard concept for you queers to grasp, since your very lives are based on them.
And in my book, accusing someone of being a liar without any indication they lied is not very honorable.

But no one really expected you to be honorable in the first place.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#286 Feb 6, 2014
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
You make a good point there. The ad did stir up a lot of publicity. I think people may have taken the ad as promoting multiculturalism or numerous separated, self segregated cultures not taking part in the American culture. I'm pretty sure people have no problem with different ethnicities taking part in a single culture, which, I feel, the ad attempted to convey, but taken the wrong way.
Games? What games?:-)
one can have multiculturalism without being seperated...pretty much exactly what the ad was saying...

St. Croix valley

#287 Feb 6, 2014
Don Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
That's right. Remember, if the English is good enough for the Bible, then it is good enough for me.
classic!(sadly, i do not know how to say classic in ancient Greek...)
Don Joe

Saint Paul, MN

#288 Feb 6, 2014
Liberals R Defective wrote:
<quoted text>In my book, liars are not honorable.....
How do you know if a politician is lying??? His lips are moving, and since I don't think we have any ventriloquists in congress, how could you vote for anyone?
Level 1

Since: Jan 11

Hackettstown, NJ

#289 Feb 6, 2014
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
But only CERTAIN people saw the ad as promoting "multiculturalism" over the "American culture".
I would say using multi languages had a lot to do with appearing to promote multiculturalism. It gave the [appearance] of not being able to speak the language of their adopted country. I got the multiethnic message due to the song they were singing.

St. Croix valley

#290 Feb 6, 2014
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
I would say using multi languages had a lot to do with appearing to promote multiculturalism. It gave the [appearance] of not being able to speak the language of their adopted country. I got the multiethnic message due to the song they were singing.
many people retain the language of their origin when immigrating. many of us also speak more than one language. i like to sing in spanish...is that a problem?
Bonnie

Boise, ID

#292 Feb 6, 2014
elise in burque wrote:
<quoted text>Nobody is going to do what you want, no matter how many different names you post under, Señora Exclamation Mark.
Um.. What other names might those be?
Bonnie

Boise, ID

#293 Feb 6, 2014
elise in burque wrote:
<quoted text>Sucks to be you, I guess. We're happy :-)
Actually it's great being me.. You should be happy. Sucking on America's tit like that.. No worries huh. Got cha...You criminal.
Bonnie

Boise, ID

#294 Feb 6, 2014
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
So you're sticking with your preconceived bias regardless?
Yep, that's pretty much the definition of prejudice.
If YOU believe it..It's gotta be true. Do you have any cards up your sleeve besides the race card? That one lost all of it's power. You people draw it like a gun.. It's spent.
Level 1

Hackettstown, NJ

#295 Feb 6, 2014
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>one can have multiculturalism without being seperated...pretty much exactly what the ad was saying...
That would be multi-ethnics, which I have no problem with. The more, the merrier.

We had a judge refuse a Muslim woman's request for a restraining order against her husband a few years back. The complaint was her husband had raped her on numerous occasions. The judge found it was within their [culture] for a woman to submit to her husband and denied the restraining order. Thank goodness there is an appellate court that overturned the decision. The point is, multiculturalism can erode a single overall culture. Multi-ethnics in a single culture is different from multi-cultures within a culture.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/08/05/advocate...

Bonnie

Boise, ID

#296 Feb 6, 2014
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
" Only certain people" LMAO. The people that are losing their culture, Imagine that.. Weird huh?

St. Croix valley

#297 Feb 6, 2014
Bonnie wrote:
<quoted text> Actually it's great being me.. You should be happy. Sucking on America's tit like that.. No worries huh. Got cha...You criminal.
Really?!?

but you're and ignorant bigot...how great can that be?
Level 1

Hackettstown, NJ

#298 Feb 6, 2014
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>many people retain the language of their origin when immigrating. many of us also speak more than one language. i like to sing in spanish...is that a problem?
No problem what so ever. Enjoy! I sing some German ones.

In München steht ein Hofbräuhaus:
Eins, zwei, g'suffa ..

Pour you a cold one?:-)

The point was the ad presented the [illusion] that the people [couldn't] speak English.
I get the ad, a lot of people didn't.
serfs up

Ormond Beach, FL

#299 Feb 6, 2014
And the guns are being purchased at record pace by all cultures. Its a beautiful thing. the balkanization of America and perpetual violence like
Europe is coming here if the financial system collapses. Otherwise the totalitarian system that is slowly expanding and most of the laws in place to enforce it will continue.

Since: Oct 08

Alpharetta, GA

#300 Feb 6, 2014
When are we gonna bring back Confederate Memorial Day, if all the weirdos get a day, us rebels should too.

Since: Oct 08

Alpharetta, GA

#301 Feb 6, 2014
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
Eins, zwei, g'suffa ..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =NqLAoTJhfOsXX
The point was the ad presented the [illusion] that the people [couldn't] speak English.
how bout the Horst Wessel song? And Duetschland uber alles?

St. Croix valley

#302 Feb 6, 2014
Teaman wrote:
<quoted text>
Eins, zwei, g'suffa ..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =NqLAoTJhfOsXX
i never got that "illusion". nor did my GF.

apparently, you did not 'get' the ad....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Immigration Reform Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Rose's Pub (Mar '10) 2 hr Just Slim 146,202
News The Police Officers Helping Undocumented Immigr... 4 hr josh 9
Has Donald Trump Already Failed Us? (Nov '16) 4 hr Barry the Anti-Ch... 7,186
News Ann Coulter's Anti-Semitism Runs Deep (May '16) 7 hr Taletha 329
News Federal judge considers fate of Texas 'sanctuar... 11 hr Wildchild 3
News Trump's border wall could pay for itself 12 hr Wildchild 28
News Texas Illegal Alien Law Could Lead To "Immigrat... 12 hr Wildchild 3
More from around the web