Immigration Debate: What's More Important- Border Security Or Protecting Immigrant Workers?

Sep 9, 2013 Full story: Forbes.com 73

As billions of dollars of legal goods, as well as shipments of drugs and groups of undocumented immigrants continue to cross the U.S. border, immigration reform and border security have become a major topic of discussion.

Read more
Memo From Turner

Bellmore, NY

#50 Sep 11, 2013
Cat74 wrote:
Of course there were laws. The medical exam was responsible for separating parents from children, and many people were sent back where they came from if they were ill, or mentally challenged. Plus they paid passage, they didn't just hop the border like thieves in the night. We were careful who we accepted, not like today where we welcome drunks, and rapists, criminals of all types, the world's pond scum.
A seven second medical exam accomplishes none of these things.

More than 98% of people were processed and in the country within two hours. Do you seriously think that if we built welcome centers on the border and told people they would have to wait two house that we would have any illegal immigration?
Brenda besson

United States

#51 Sep 11, 2013
Guys today is 9/11 that million man muslim march,didnt fo so well.we had thousands of cops and fireman get on there bikes and ride to dc.they applied for a permit and got turned down.muslims got a permint,so the bikers said wtf,ok we will go anyway its worth it this is america.they went hardly any muslims went.thank the bikers the make us proud to be american .muslims go home.those.bikers can run out mexico also.everyone illegal get the hell out.this is america.
Cat74

Carpentersville, IL

#53 Sep 11, 2013
The legal immigrants were thoroughly examined. You wouldn't know that because you just know about illegal aliens. My Grandmother came from Ireland, and had to be physically, and mentally well, have a sponsor who would take care of her (no welfare for those people) until she got a job. She paid her passage from Ireland. The Europeans had a work ethic that allowed them to build cities, and make a difference in this country. Today we still have millions of people who come here legally, and are well respected by Americans. Illegal alien criminals, not so much.
Brenda besson

United States

#54 Sep 11, 2013
b4its2late wrote:
<quoted text>They arent supposed to be here...TRUE OR FALSE? TRUE
Thats the ONLY reason we need to get rid of them if we dont want them. And we dont want them. IT REALLY IS THAT SIMPLE..
WE DONT NEED TO COME UP WITH A BETTER REASON....But everyone knows there are MANY other reasons. BUT AGAIN, WE REALLY DONT NEED ANY... TRUE OR FALSE?
true we need no reason.we dont want them and thats a good enough reason for anyone.get out not our problem.
Brenda besson

United States

#55 Sep 11, 2013
NYM8387 wrote:
<quoted text> illegal means illegal,just ask the Mexican government.the Law must be enforced.
lol let them love america,from mexico the way it should be.all illegals out.obama cant do anything right,so dont expect him to get any amnesty right.lol
Brenda besson

United States

#56 Sep 11, 2013
spud wrote:
<quoted text>I am an idiot. Thank you for noticing. The idiot agrees with you that free trade destroyed millions of our jobs but free trade isn't an invention of Obama's. Free trade is the brainchild of NWO elitists, neocons, but Bill Clinton brought it to the Democratic party. This idiot doesn't understand your position that illegal aliens don't take our jobs. It's a known fact that at least 8 million illegals are currently working in the US. There are over 20 million unemployed Americans. Maybe I'm not the only idiot around these parts.
you are not an idiot,you make perfect sense to any american.
Memo From Turner

Bellmore, NY

#57 Sep 11, 2013
Cat74 wrote:
The legal immigrants were thoroughly examined. You wouldn't know that because you just know about illegal aliens. My Grandmother came from Ireland, and had to be physically, and mentally well, have a sponsor who would take care of her (no welfare for those people) until she got a job. She paid her passage from Ireland. The Europeans had a work ethic that allowed them to build cities, and make a difference in this country. Today we still have millions of people who come here legally, and are well respected by Americans. Illegal alien criminals, not so much.
OK. Now I see. I thought your family was here for a while. I did not realize they arrived after 1920. In that case there was some paperwork involved.

It is a good thing your family did not come when the rest of the Irish did because there were some tough conditions. In Boston the crime rate soared by over 400% after the Irish arrived. In New York they did not even have a need for a police force until the Irish appeared. The old joke is that the Irish both built and filled the prisons.

Since you are so health conscience I am sure you would be disturbed to know that in the mid-1800's 60% of Irish kids born in Boston did not live to see their sixth birthday. The average life expectancy for adults was less than six years after they got off of the boat. There seems to be a surprising amount of illnesses that were not detected in the 7 second medical exams.

http://www.historyplace.com/worldhistory/fami...
Cat74

Carpentersville, IL

#58 Sep 11, 2013
My side of the family arrived in 1698, before there was a Country. I should have put my Grandmother in law. My family is English, my husbands family are Irish, and Lithuanian. At any rate they came here legally. Fought in all the wars to defend this country, and I love immigrants if they are here legally, Illegal aliens, not so much.
Memo From Turner

Bellmore, NY

#59 Sep 11, 2013
Cat74 wrote:
My side of the family arrived in 1698, before there was a Country. I should have put my Grandmother in law. My family is English, my husbands family are Irish, and Lithuanian. At any rate they came here legally. Fought in all the wars to defend this country, and I love immigrants if they are here legally, Illegal aliens, not so much.
So if your grandmother arrived here in 1698 that would make you about 280 years old. Good for you.
love america

Phoenix, AZ

#60 Sep 11, 2013
NYM8387 wrote:
<quoted text> illegal means illegal,just ask the Mexican government.the Law must be enforced.
You are absolutely right , illegals is illegals absolutely no doubt.

But now they are here, 11 + millions
If they completely close any border any where chance to come in illegally or saty longer TODAY,.. how long it would take to get rid of 11+ millions?

Too much its just too much I think..
Reset the whole system, we do what we got to do..and try to secure the entire immigration laws etc..

Remember you can not have the bottle full and the wife drunk at the same time!

I don't see way to fix this thing without giving some in return.. I know they are illegals.. but to save us for the future.. we can't have all we want: secure border and all deported (11+millions) at same time!!
love america

Phoenix, AZ

#61 Sep 11, 2013
Obama is a joke wrote:
<quoted text>
The words "immigrant" and "illegal" are not interchangeable. One is a legal activity, the other is not-hence the title "illegal".
"There are illegals honest and illegals who wanted to stay longer than their visa and able to do much more and much better than thousands of citizens!"
Is a "honest" illegal the same as a "honest" liar or an "honest" thief?
You are also damn right my friend,

Here is a story:
A friend of mine is american, his daddy is american, but the granfather was not.
He came in the 30 illegally, he took 32 years of soffering and strugglin to become citizen..BUT his son was born here from daddy Albanian and german mother.. he was american, born and raised in California. He became a professional baseball player and after retired he opened a company that now has 100+ people employed.
The son, my friend, college degree etc.. has 3 stores and 42 people employed.

Taxpayers, americans, american dream. Because of the sacrifies of the granpa in the 30s..

How many stories like this one? So maaaany..

Let live the dream to somebody today and we will benefit for next generations as well..
Cat74

Carpentersville, IL

#62 Sep 11, 2013
Is English your second language? My family arrived in 1698, not my Grandmother in law. Perhaps there is a young child in the house that could read the post to you again.
love america

Phoenix, AZ

#63 Sep 11, 2013
b4its2late wrote:
<quoted text>They arent supposed to be here...TRUE OR FALSE? TRUE
Thats the ONLY reason we need to get rid of them if we dont want them. And we dont want them. IT REALLY IS THAT SIMPLE..
WE DONT NEED TO COME UP WITH A BETTER REASON....But everyone knows there are MANY other reasons. BUT AGAIN, WE REALLY DONT NEED ANY... TRUE OR FALSE?
I'm afraid not all is true.
We do need them, I mean USA do need them, big companies with multimillions revenues want them, americans not working is all bullshit.. fat ass american sit on computer eating chips and pork skin are lazy and they could find jobs, who want to work can find jobs.. these people wouldn't do any college or doctors jobs. They do what ameican citizens won't or can't..

Come on.. the entire country want this bill to pass. It s just about 4 old mens here n there.. even Mcain in Arizona want this bill to go ahead so...
NYM8387

United States

#64 Sep 11, 2013
Memo From Turner wrote:
<quoted text>
OK. Now I see. I thought your family was here for a while. I did not realize they arrived after 1920. In that case there was some paperwork involved.
It is a good thing your family did not come when the rest of the Irish did because there were some tough conditions. In Boston the crime rate soared by over 400% after the Irish arrived. In New York they did not even have a need for a police force until the Irish appeared. The old joke is that the Irish both built and filled the prisons.
Since you are so health conscience I am sure you would be disturbed to know that in the mid-1800's 60% of Irish kids born in Boston did not live to see their sixth birthday. The average life expectancy for adults was less than six years after they got off of the boat. There seems to be a surprising amount of illnesses that were not detected in the 7 second medical exams.
http://www.historyplace.com/worldhistory/fami...
I want to know how is any of this relevant to illegal aliens slithering across the border and demanding amnesty?
Vet

Fayetteville, GA

#65 Sep 11, 2013
love america wrote:
<quoted text>
You are absolutely right , illegals is illegals absolutely no doubt.
But now they are here, 11 + millions
If they completely close any border any where chance to come in illegally or saty longer TODAY,.. how long it would take to get rid of 11+ millions?
Too much its just too much I think..
Reset the whole system, we do what we got to do..and try to secure the entire immigration laws etc..
Remember you can not have the bottle full and the wife drunk at the same time!
I don't see way to fix this thing without giving some in return.. I know they are illegals.. but to save us for the future.. we can't have all we want: secure border and all deported (11+millions) at same time!!
Surely we can deport them, one at a time. What part of illegal is confusing you? This is a country of laws and illegals come here illegally, live here illegally and work here illegally. Send them back one at a time or a thousand at a time.
Vet

Fayetteville, GA

#66 Sep 11, 2013
love america wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm afraid not all is true.
We do need them, I mean USA do need them, big companies with multimillions revenues want them, americans not working is all bullshit.. fat ass american sit on computer eating chips and pork skin are lazy and they could find jobs, who want to work can find jobs.. these people wouldn't do any college or doctors jobs. They do what ameican citizens won't or can't..
Come on.. the entire country want this bill to pass. It s just about 4 old mens here n there.. even Mcain in Arizona want this bill to go ahead so...
No matter what job an illegal does he is doing so illegally. Arrest and deport.
love america

Phoenix, AZ

#67 Sep 11, 2013
I'm with y'all guys..

Again shit like this the way it is ain't working tho!!
Something got to change.

Go ahead and start help your country,
Everyone of you go ahead and go call deportation for your maid, gardner, the man who always kindly help you at car wash or for the parents of your son best friend at school!

How the freaking hell we get rid of millions and millions and millions... not just hundreds...

I see it very hard and if things stay the way they are.. same shit different day.. tomorrow will cont 12 millions...
Vet

Fayetteville, GA

#68 Sep 11, 2013
love america wrote:
I'm with y'all guys..
Again shit like this the way it is ain't working tho!!
Something got to change.
Go ahead and start help your country,
Everyone of you go ahead and go call deportation for your maid, gardner, the man who always kindly help you at car wash or for the parents of your son best friend at school!
How the freaking hell we get rid of millions and millions and millions... not just hundreds...
I see it very hard and if things stay the way they are.. same shit different day.. tomorrow will cont 12 millions...
A sovereign nation that can not defend its borders can not call itself a sovereign nation. No other country on earth has open borders.
Brenda besson

United States

#69 Sep 11, 2013
No american wants this bill to pass and it better not pass.this is america.we dont want to live with these disgusting,nervy,pushy,people who demand.look how they act when illegal what the hell do you think will happen if they are legal.get out.stop feeding them they will leave.
spud

Dallas, PA

#70 Sep 11, 2013
Brenda besson wrote:
<quoted text> you are not an idiot,you make perfect sense to any american.
Thank you Brenda. You're much too kind. But I don't mind being called names because it really means nothing. I do draw the line when it comes to insulting friends or family.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Immigration Reform Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News America's oldest mayor, 94, has 'no regrets,' l... 3 min Sonny 6
News Boise Immigration Rally Draws Hundreds, Call fo... (May '13) 47 min sandy 1 111
News Unions Are Increasingly Bargaining To Protect U... 54 min QUITTNER Mar 29 2015 8
News Memo: Illegals To Receive Social Security,... 1 hr Earl 116
News New Jersey's Christie Joins States' Obama Immig... 2 hr Earl 7
News Progressive Hispanics Slam Ted Cruz as 'Anti-Im... 3 hr tomin cali 6
Native Americans say "Mexicans are Indians, too" (Feb '08) 6 hr Cricket 23 2,410
More from around the web