House GOP leaders pledge action on im...

House GOP leaders pledge action on immigration

There are 37 comments on the WTEN-TV Albany story from May 23, 2013, titled House GOP leaders pledge action on immigration. In it, WTEN-TV Albany reports that:

The Republican leaders of the House of Representatives are pledging to act to fix the nation's immigration system but making clear that they will not simply accept legislation passed by the Senate.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WTEN-TV Albany.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Reality Check

Jacksonville, FL

#22 May 24, 2013
Dee Dee Dee wrote:
<quoted text>
Like the White House?
What should the rest of the world say?
Reality Check

Jacksonville, FL

#23 May 24, 2013
Dee Dee Dee wrote:
<quoted text>
Like the White House?
Another question, were you influenced by Hugo Chavez 20th Sept 2006 speech to the UN?
yey

Los Angeles, CA

#24 May 24, 2013
Sweet Sunday wrote:
Illegal alien charged with raping 9-year-old girl in Alabama
IMMIGRATIONMAY 23, 2013BY: DAVE GIBSON
how about US CITIZEN kidnapped and raped three girls for a decade. Maybe doesn't matter.
spud

Wilkes Barre, PA

#25 May 24, 2013
Boehner is a weasel. You can't trust him to act in the best interest of America, He's an elitist and he doesn't give two sh!ts about the American worker. He's an elitist, power guy who doesn't care about anything but himself.
Live your Life

Chicago, IL

#26 May 24, 2013
If this Immigration goes through.... It's better to lose(individually) then to give in. Congress has no right to ignore/disregard what "We the People" demand. After all they are living rich and we pay their salaries/ taxes.
xxxrayted

Brook Park, OH

#27 May 25, 2013
yey wrote:
<quoted text> how about US CITIZEN kidnapped and raped three girls for a decade. Maybe doesn't matter.
Yeah, that guy of Hispanic descent.
noname

Miami, FL

#28 May 25, 2013
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, that guy of Hispanic descent.
remember the country is made up of immigrants if everyone should trace their history to see where their forefathers come from, doesnt matter the race/nationality.
spud

Wilkes Barre, PA

#29 May 25, 2013
The headline should say house GOP traitors pledge action on amnesty. Anyone who tries to justify any form of amnesty for 11-20 million illegal aliens has to be either stupid or paid off. They certainly don't give a damn about this country or its workers and taxpayers.
xxxrayted

Brook Park, OH

#30 May 25, 2013
spud wrote:
The headline should say house GOP traitors pledge action on amnesty. Anyone who tries to justify any form of amnesty for 11-20 million illegal aliens has to be either stupid or paid off. They certainly don't give a damn about this country or its workers and taxpayers.
A politicians main goal is to keep his or her job.

If you look at surveys of American concerns, illegals are about 20th on the list. Many people don't care because illegals don't directly affect them. This is probably more common up north than it is south in states like Texas and Arizona.

Politicians who seriously attack the immigration issue would risk losing Hispanic votes. So they use caution when approaching the issue. Again, politicians are focusing on keeping their jobs.

When you break the law, you are a criminal. So what these politicians want to do is forgive criminal activity because of the votes. It's totally illogical and immoral. But until Americans begin to turn off American Idol and start focusing on the problems our country faces, politicians will just keep playing the same ole game. The largest threat to a politician are educated voters. The problem is there aren't enough educated voters around.
Dee Dee Dee

Coopersburg, PA

#31 May 25, 2013
Remember there was a concerted effort by the Democrats to register the uneducated to voter in 2008. The result has been a large turn out for the presidential election but any other election the turn out is nil. Only 12.5% of Democratic voters showed up at the polls on Tuesday. Many of the "new" Democrats think that elections are held only every 4 years. Remember our Congressmen want to keep their jobs so they still need to please the educated voter unless they can get the uneducated voters off their asses more than every 4 years.
spud

Wilkes Barre, PA

#32 May 25, 2013
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
A politicians main goal is to keep his or her job.
If you look at surveys of American concerns, illegals are about 20th on the list. Many people don't care because illegals don't directly affect them. This is probably more common up north than it is south in states like Texas and Arizona.
Politicians who seriously attack the immigration issue would risk losing Hispanic votes. So they use caution when approaching the issue. Again, politicians are focusing on keeping their jobs.
When you break the law, you are a criminal. So what these politicians want to do is forgive criminal activity because of the votes. It's totally illogical and immoral. But until Americans begin to turn off American Idol and start focusing on the problems our country faces, politicians will just keep playing the same ole game. The largest threat to a politician are educated voters. The problem is there aren't enough educated voters around.
I agree with you for the most part but I seriously doubt that illegal aliens are only the peoples 20th most important concern. As far as getting reelected being the politicians primary objective, you're probably right. Since there is no chance that they will pass any term limits legislation it's up to the people to vote anti incumbent and keep refreshing our legislators. The longer they're in, the worst they become.
xxxrayted

Brook Park, OH

#33 May 25, 2013
spud wrote:
<quoted text>I agree with you for the most part but I seriously doubt that illegal aliens are only the peoples 20th most important concern. As far as getting reelected being the politicians primary objective, you're probably right. Since there is no chance that they will pass any term limits legislation it's up to the people to vote anti incumbent and keep refreshing our legislators. The longer they're in, the worst they become.
That's all fine and dandy, but we can't clear the Congress and Senate with one clean sweep. There is still old stock in both houses enough to pollute the new stock coming in. You want those old stock politicians to make you look good? Then you scratch their back, and they will scratch yours. If you don't play the game, your district will not see penny one of federal dollars. Then your upcoming opponent will point out that you are a failure, and they need a new change to bring those federal dollars into your district.
xxxrayted

Brook Park, OH

#34 May 25, 2013
Dee Dee Dee wrote:
Remember there was a concerted effort by the Democrats to register the uneducated to voter in 2008. The result has been a large turn out for the presidential election but any other election the turn out is nil. Only 12.5% of Democratic voters showed up at the polls on Tuesday. Many of the "new" Democrats think that elections are held only every 4 years. Remember our Congressmen want to keep their jobs so they still need to please the educated voter unless they can get the uneducated voters off their asses more than every 4 years.
Even with that small percentage of voters, there is even a smaller percentage of educated voters. People vote on politicians like they vote their favorite American Idol: how do they dress, how do they speak, how do they interact with their spouse?

Looking in the mirror, the Democrat party had a dozen or so people to pick as their presidential nominee. Out of those dozen or so, it narrowed down to two people: one with little experience in federal government and the other with 8 years in Senate and 8 years in the White House even though her husband was technically the President. Most people know they've always worked as a team.

So who did the Democrat voters pick? The one with the least experience. Why? Because he was a Mulatto. His only message was "Hope and Change" but who was really paying attention to that?

Okay, so now it boils down to two presidential candidates: one with little experience, and the other a war hero with many years in the Senate. Who did they choose?

Now we have another election. This time it's between a successful businessman and a failed President. The failed President has been involved in many scandals and has done nothing for the economy. The successful business man is so religious that he never smoked a cigarette, took a drink of alcohol, or messed around with recreational narcotics--all which the failed President admitted to using. Who did the voters choose?

Given the examples above, can we really say we have an educated electorate?
Married

Bryant, AR

#35 May 25, 2013
yey wrote:
<quoted text> how about US CITIZEN kidnapped and raped three girls for a decade. Maybe doesn't matter.
Or have shot up movie theater and an other a school
spud

Wilkes Barre, PA

#36 May 26, 2013
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
That's all fine and dandy, but we can't clear the Congress and Senate with one clean sweep. There is still old stock in both houses enough to pollute the new stock coming in. You want those old stock politicians to make you look good? Then you scratch their back, and they will scratch yours. If you don't play the game, your district will not see penny one of federal dollars. Then your upcoming opponent will point out that you are a failure, and they need a new change to bring those federal dollars into your district.
Nobody said you can heal our diseased congress with one clean sweep. It took the last 50 years to create this mess so it's crazy to think there is some kind of quick fix to make it better. But we have to start somewhere. There's definitely something wrong with the duration of congresses terms too. I'd say they would be better if they were both four years. In Pennsylvania, we just elected a new Senator, Toomey, but he has turned out to be an idiot, like many others do. We shouldn't have to wait 6 years to dump his stupid a--. On the other hand, a two year term in the House doesn't leave much time for legislating when they are constantly campaigning for reelection. Voter imposed term limits could help. Educating the voter to understand that 1. Parties are for themselves and not the people, 2. Basing your vote on which candidate can bring home the bacon is a fools game that hurts this country, 3. The MSM will not get you to the truth, would help.
Si Se Puede

Patchogue, NY

#37 May 26, 2013
yey wrote:
<quoted text> how about US CITIZEN kidnapped and raped three girls for a decade. Maybe doesn't matter.
US citizen and a Puercorican. Salt of the Earth.
xxxrayted

Brook Park, OH

#38 May 26, 2013
spud wrote:
<quoted text>Nobody said you can heal our diseased congress with one clean sweep. It took the last 50 years to create this mess so it's crazy to think there is some kind of quick fix to make it better. But we have to start somewhere. There's definitely something wrong with the duration of congresses terms too. I'd say they would be better if they were both four years. In Pennsylvania, we just elected a new Senator, Toomey, but he has turned out to be an idiot, like many others do. We shouldn't have to wait 6 years to dump his stupid a--. On the other hand, a two year term in the House doesn't leave much time for legislating when they are constantly campaigning for reelection. Voter imposed term limits could help. Educating the voter to understand that 1. Parties are for themselves and not the people, 2. Basing your vote on which candidate can bring home the bacon is a fools game that hurts this country, 3. The MSM will not get you to the truth, would help.
Absolutely correct on all counts. The problem is that only a minority of people (such as us who participate in political discourse) are the ones who realize this. The rest? They are voting for other things not related to the corruption and back scratching that goes on.

You see, when you have 247 channels on the television to watch, the internet which can take you all over the world, Netflix giving you the ability to watch anything you want when you want, and text messaging that turns a 15 minute conversation into a 2 hour exchange of words, who has time to study politics?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Immigration Reform Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Has Donald Trump Already Failed Us? (Nov '16) 9 min Sharrp Shooter 11,223
News Trump's popularity is slipping in rural America... 50 min OneWomynRiot 427
Rose's Pub (Mar '10) 1 hr leprechauna 147,590
News Trump Must Keep His Promise: Repeal DACA 1 hr zooperdoooseyou 237
News DACA recipients question future 5 hr Katrina 297
News Jeff Sessions claims sanctuary city policies 'e... 6 hr liberals suck 29
News Illegal immigration a hot topic at lieutenant g... 8 hr spytheweb 1
More from around the web