The Big Stupid Thread About Everything
Peter The Great

Los Angeles, CA

#393 Aug 14, 2013
LGBT history in Russia
The history of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people in Russia and its historical antecedents
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_history_in_...

Notable Russians
http://community.middlebury.edu/~moss/ROL.htm...

Level 8

Since: Oct 07

Serving sarcasm since 2007

#394 Aug 14, 2013
Midnight Cruiser - Steely Dan
feat. drummer Jim Hodder on vocals

“Peace”

Level 8

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#395 Aug 14, 2013
Hi Frees nice to see you visit this thread. It gets kind of lonely around here at times.

Level 8

Since: Oct 07

Serving sarcasm since 2007

#396 Aug 14, 2013
_White American_ wrote:
Hi Frees nice to see you visit this thread. It gets kind of lonely around here at times.
Hi WA, I come back to see good friends like you.

“Club Fed or Camp Cupcake?”

Since: Oct 10

White-Collar Minimum-Security

#397 Aug 14, 2013
August 14 is V-J Day, National Code Talkers Day
http://news92fm.com/374969/august-14-is-natio...
Today, August 14, is the 68th anniversary of V-J Day–Victory in Japan achieved, ending World War II in 1945. It’s also a day of remembrance, celebration and appreciation for a very special group of American Veterans. They’re called Code Talkers–specifically Navaho Indians, who used their unique language to thwart the Japanese in the Pacific.

“Peace”

Level 8

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#398 Aug 15, 2013
Agents of Corruption wrote:
August 14 is V-J Day, National Code Talkers Day
http://news92fm.com/374969/august-14-is-natio...
Today, August 14, is the 68th anniversary of V-J Day–Victory in Japan achieved, ending World War II in 1945. It’s also a day of remembrance, celebration and appreciation for a very special group of American Veterans. They’re called Code Talkers–specifically Navaho Indians, who used their unique language to thwart the Japanese in the Pacific.
They were brave, heroes of the war. Great American Patriots.
Thanks for the heads up.

Level 8

Since: Oct 07

Serving sarcasm since 2007

#399 Aug 17, 2013
Boom!

Level 6

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#400 Aug 17, 2013
Freespirit8 wrote:
Boom!
Bump!

Hey Free.

Hope you're having a good weekend.

:)

“Peace”

Level 8

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#401 Aug 18, 2013
Jaxxon wrote:
<quoted text>
Bump!
Hey Free.
Hope you're having a good weekend.
:)
Hey Jax and Frees.....I just got here but not going to stay long. I hope each of your weekends were great!

Level 6

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#402 Aug 18, 2013
_White American_ wrote:
<quoted text>Hey Jax and Frees.....I just got here but not going to stay long. I hope each of your weekends were great!
It's been good here.

Great weather. Had family visit for lunch today and spent some time visiting with the neighbors this evening.

Hope you've had a great weekend too.

:)

Level 9

Since: Jun 10

Vallejo, CA

#403 Aug 18, 2013
This is so touching and interesting, thought I'd share it here.

Otis Redding’s widow:“I always thought everything he sang, he sang for me”
Zelma Redding talks about the great singer's life and death, and how she protects his legacy
BY JACK BARLOW
148 49 0
more

TOPICS: ZELMA REDDING, OTIS REDDING, MUSIC, ENTERTAINMENT NEWS

Otis Redding's widow:
Zelma Redding (Credit: AP/Damian Dovarganes)
It started, as love stories so often do, over an argument. The pair ambled out of Macon, Ga.’s Douglass Theatre on an early Saturday afternoon; her, Zelma Atwood, 16 years old, pretty yet fiery; him, Otis Redding, 19, dashing, charming, a lover with an ambitious streak. He’d just been performing with local star Johnny Jenkins at the town’s hip teenage hangout, the Douglass’ Saturday matinee – he wasn’t the star of the show just yet, although that wouldn’t be too far away – and, at some point during the performance, he caught Zelma’s eye. Zelma doesn’t remember – or won’t say – what the argument was about, but it doesn’t matter.“We met, we fell in love and then we married,” Zelma recalls over 50 years later.“It’s as simple as that.”

To understand Zelma Redding is to understand Otis Redding. The two have been intertwined since they first met on that fateful afternoon in 1960. When Otis was alive, Zelma was the one he would confide in on whispered, late-night phone calls from the road; after his 1967 death, it’s she who has kept a hawkish eye on his legacy, protecting the name of the man she loved so much.

Born on Oct. 7, 1942, in Macon, she lives there still, residing on the Big O ranch Otis bought when he first started tasting real fame in 1965. Otis loved animals, so the place was teeming with cattle, pigs, horses –“the whole big farm thing,” as Zelma puts it – until about two years ago when, due to her leg amputation, she became more concerned with maintaining the property than actually farming it.“We got a pretty open field out there, so you can just look,” she says.“Just sit and look.”

Sitting and looking wasn’t something Otis ever did too much. The pair’s relationship coincided with his rise to fame; frequently out touring or recording, even when he was in town it was mostly business. It was a tight relationship, although one that must have been caught in snatches, in fleeting visits.

http://www.salon.com/2013/08/18/otis_reddings...

Level 6

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#404 Aug 18, 2013
---Wild Irish Rose--- wrote:
This is so touching and interesting, thought I'd share it here.
Otis Redding’s widow:“I always thought everything he sang, he sang for me”
Zelma Redding talks about the great singer's life and death, and how she protects his legacy
BY JACK BARLOW
148 49 0
more
TOPICS: ZELMA REDDING, OTIS REDDING, MUSIC, ENTERTAINMENT NEWS
Otis Redding's widow:
Zelma Redding (Credit: AP/Damian Dovarganes)
It started, as love stories so often do, over an argument. The pair ambled out of Macon, Ga.’s Douglass Theatre on an early Saturday afternoon; her, Zelma Atwood, 16 years old, pretty yet fiery; him, Otis Redding, 19, dashing, charming, a lover with an ambitious streak. He’d just been performing with local star Johnny Jenkins at the town’s hip teenage hangout, the Douglass’ Saturday matinee – he wasn’t the star of the show just yet, although that wouldn’t be too far away – and, at some point during the performance, he caught Zelma’s eye. Zelma doesn’t remember – or won’t say – what the argument was about, but it doesn’t matter.“We met, we fell in love and then we married,” Zelma recalls over 50 years later.“It’s as simple as that.”
To understand Zelma Redding is to understand Otis Redding. The two have been intertwined since they first met on that fateful afternoon in 1960. When Otis was alive, Zelma was the one he would confide in on whispered, late-night phone calls from the road; after his 1967 death, it’s she who has kept a hawkish eye on his legacy, protecting the name of the man she loved so much.
Born on Oct. 7, 1942, in Macon, she lives there still, residing on the Big O ranch Otis bought when he first started tasting real fame in 1965. Otis loved animals, so the place was teeming with cattle, pigs, horses –“the whole big farm thing,” as Zelma puts it – until about two years ago when, due to her leg amputation, she became more concerned with maintaining the property than actually farming it.“We got a pretty open field out there, so you can just look,” she says.“Just sit and look.”
Sitting and looking wasn’t something Otis ever did too much. The pair’s relationship coincided with his rise to fame; frequently out touring or recording, even when he was in town it was mostly business. It was a tight relationship, although one that must have been caught in snatches, in fleeting visits.
http://www.salon.com/2013/08/18/otis_reddings...
Otis Redding - A Change Is Gonna Come

Level 9

Since: Jun 10

Vallejo, CA

#405 Aug 18, 2013
Jaxxon wrote:
<quoted text>
Otis Redding - A Change Is Gonna Come
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =yyhL0ioST_UXX
Love it, Jax. His music gives me the chills.

What a tragic loss when he died.

“Take a deep breath”

Level 8

Since: Dec 12

Let it out

#406 Aug 18, 2013
For Jaxxon: Continued from the failed thread...

Don't get me wrong, I love the rain and this cool weather! But it's been raining nonstop and the lawn loves cool wet days. It's really hard on the equipment. That wet grass gets packed up in the mower deck and drops out in clumps all over the yard. It has to be mowed twice to look nice.

On the bright side I haven't had to water the garden in the last month. I've got so many cucumbers I'll need to buy a couple more cases of canning jars to hold all the pickles and relish. Oh, and the hens are laying eggs too. They don't lay when it is too hot or too cold. Usually, this time of year they aren't laying eggs at all. If they keep it up I'll have to get another refrigerator just for eggs.

Level 8

Since: Oct 07

Serving sarcasm since 2007

#407 Aug 18, 2013
-Dont Panic- wrote:
For Jaxxon: Continued from the failed thread...
Don't get me wrong, I love the rain and this cool weather! But it's been raining nonstop and the lawn loves cool wet days. It's really hard on the equipment. That wet grass gets packed up in the mower deck and drops out in clumps all over the yard. It has to be mowed twice to look nice.
On the bright side I haven't had to water the garden in the last month. I've got so many cucumbers I'll need to buy a couple more cases of canning jars to hold all the pickles and relish. Oh, and the hens are laying eggs too. They don't lay when it is too hot or too cold. Usually, this time of year they aren't laying eggs at all. If they keep it up I'll have to get another refrigerator just for eggs.
Hello Mr. Panic. So, can you tell me why my garden did not flourish this year? Tomatoes did okay, but cukes, peppers, zucchini, yellow squash, and herbs all withered before the fruit. Only got three cucumbers and a few peppers, one zucchini. What I did different this year: I set up a sprinkler so I wouldn't have to hand water. Maybe I over watered? Things turned yellow and dried up.
Sorry about your wet lawn. Send me some pickles.

Level 6

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#408 Aug 18, 2013
-Dont Panic- wrote:
For Jaxxon: Continued from the failed thread...
Don't get me wrong, I love the rain and this cool weather! But it's been raining nonstop and the lawn loves cool wet days. It's really hard on the equipment. That wet grass gets packed up in the mower deck and drops out in clumps all over the yard. It has to be mowed twice to look nice.
On the bright side I haven't had to water the garden in the last month. I've got so many cucumbers I'll need to buy a couple more cases of canning jars to hold all the pickles and relish. Oh, and the hens are laying eggs too. They don't lay when it is too hot or too cold. Usually, this time of year they aren't laying eggs at all. If they keep it up I'll have to get another refrigerator just for eggs.
Sounds like you have been busy!

We've been having some great weather, but it's starting to get a little dry here.

The cucumbers starting to give out, only a few left, but I've been knee deep in squash and tomatoes.

Tomorrow's project is to start on a new chicken coop.

“Tutte le strade portano a Roma”

Level 4

Since: Aug 13

Location hidden

#409 Aug 18, 2013
Good night smart and decent people,
I needed to leave Topix on a good note...
Take care everyone.

“Take a deep breath”

Level 8

Since: Dec 12

Let it out

#411 Aug 19, 2013
Also, watering a garden with sprinklers is inefficient. Yes, it gets water to the plants that you want but, it also gets water to the weeds you don't want.

Level 6

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#412 Aug 19, 2013
-Dont Panic- wrote:
Also, watering a garden with sprinklers is inefficient. Yes, it gets water to the plants that you want but, it also gets water to the weeds you don't want.
It's easy to either overwater, or underwater, using sprinklers too.

The ground may look wet, but it's only damp an inch or so down so the plant still isn't getting the water it needs.

I've got to get back to work.

Later.

:)

“Take a deep breath”

Level 8

Since: Dec 12

Let it out

#413 Aug 19, 2013
I don't know why this post didn't take. I posted it before the last remark. Oh well, let's try again.

I hate it when that happens. It used to happen to me all the time. I thought it was the soil being too wet so I added sand but the next year it happened again. I tried using drip irrigation on raised beds but again, the cucumbers and squash withered up a died. Then one spring, really early in the spring, a local grower was selling cucumbers and squash in the farmers market. My plants were small and hardly had a blossom on them and this guy was harvesting huge cucumbers, squash, cantaloupe and bushels of green beans. It really made me jealous so I asked him what his secret was. The solution was simple. I tried it and now I'm a master gardener too!

Believe it or not, your garden is getting too much sun. Well, it's not the sun but the UV light that gets them. Try using a shade cloth over your cucumbers and other plants that whither in the afternoon. It's a material that allows water and some light to penetrate while blocking the harmful UV light. It is available at most home improvement centers. You will be surprised how much better they do under the shade cloth. You will harvest cucumbers, squash and melons at least a month earlier than you would without the UV shade cloth.

I hope it's not a double post.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Immigration Reform Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News If Donald Trump Was President, Here's What Woul... (Oct '15) 16 min Porkmoup 10,558
Rose's Pub (Mar '10) 2 hr Maverick 808 141,984
News Trump Isn't Bluffing, He'll Deport 11 Million P... 3 hr dp cassie 5,787
News Judge orders Kansas to count thousands of dispu... 5 hr Wildchild 1
News Voters have trust issues with Hillary Clinton? ... (Jul '15) 5 hr Mikey 7,059
News Sanders: Don't blame Islam for Orlando shooting 8 hr Rose_NoHo 1,157
News Outrage, caution from Latino stars in critical ... 10 hr Ted Haggard s Mas... 4
More from around the web