House proposal to further criminalize...

House proposal to further criminalize illegal immigration criticized

There are 85 comments on the USA Today story from Jun 17, 2013, titled House proposal to further criminalize illegal immigration criticized. In it, USA Today reports that:

In 2005, a bill passed by the U.S. House of Representatives made being in the country illegally a federal crime, prompting massive protests in major cities across the country.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at USA Today.

“Work hard at work worth doing.”

Level 10

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#22 Jun 18, 2013
Jaxxon wrote:
The republicans are digging themselves a hole they will never get out of.
Jaxx, I have to say that politicians on both sides of the aisle are digging an abyss of which Americans will never climb free.

Level 6

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#23 Jun 18, 2013
Rockwell - Somebody's Watching Me

http://sq1.us/thread/851/rockwell-somebodys-w...

Level 6

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#24 Jun 18, 2013
teddyr4me wrote:
<quoted text>Jaxx, I have to say that politicians on both sides of the aisle are digging an abyss of which Americans will never climb free.
Can't argue with you there.

To be honest, that last post (Somebody's Watching Me) was supposed to go on another thread.

I'm busy trying to convince some of my friends that the NSA scandal really is a big deal.

I've been willing to speak up when I thought Obama was right and I'm determined to speak up when I think he's wrong and when it comes to spying on American citizens he's on the wrong side of the equation.

I've been posting about it a lot on Square One

I wrote this one...

Is Edward Snowden a Hero or a Traitor?
http://sq1.us/thread/711/edward-snowden-hero-...

And these are just a couple of articles I've posted...

US Allies demand explanations from Obama about NSA spying
http://sq1.us/thread/825/allies-demand-explan...

Obama's Plan to Defend the NSA Is Full of Same Old Excuses
http://sq1.us/thread/847/obamas-plan-defend-f...

Square One is safe. I own it and I don't collect any information on visitors.
The Man

Houston, TX

#25 Jun 18, 2013
Jaxxon wrote:
The republicans are digging themselves a hole they will never get out of.
Come on now we all know who is digging a hole and its not republicans.
Seriously we need to plug the holes.

“Work hard at work worth doing.”

Level 10

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#26 Jun 18, 2013
Jaxxon wrote:
<quoted text>
Can't argue with you there.
To be honest, that last post (Somebody's Watching Me) was supposed to go on another thread.
I'm busy trying to convince some of my friends that the NSA scandal really is a big deal.
I've been willing to speak up when I thought Obama was right and I'm determined to speak up when I think he's wrong and when it comes to spying on American citizens he's on the wrong side of the equation.
I've been posting about it a lot on Square One
I wrote this one...
Is Edward Snowden a Hero or a Traitor?
http://sq1.us/thread/711/edward-snowden-hero-...
And these are just a couple of articles I've posted...
US Allies demand explanations from Obama about NSA spying
http://sq1.us/thread/825/allies-demand-explan...
Obama's Plan to Defend the NSA Is Full of Same Old Excuses
http://sq1.us/thread/847/obamas-plan-defend-f...
Square One is safe. I own it and I don't collect any information on visitors.
Good job, Jaxx! You see the truth for what it is...by the way, I agree with your assessment, it IS a big deal and I am glad that you aren't afraid to voice your concerns. You are growing...you are lsitening and you are doing your part! Kudos!!!

“Work hard at work worth doing.”

Level 10

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#27 Jun 18, 2013
s/b: listening...

Level 6

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#28 Jun 18, 2013
The Man wrote:
<quoted text>
Come on now we all know who is digging a hole and its not republicans.
Seriously we need to plug the holes.
When it comes to politics I'm not much of a team player.

I prefer the truth (as I see it) over the party line and sooner or later both sides get fed up with me speaking my mind because sooner or later I'm going to go after one of their "sacred cows".

When it comes to immigration I think the far right is doing the republican brand a lot of long term damage.

The dems have their own problems and I'm not shy about pointing those out either.

“Work hard at work worth doing.”

Level 10

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#29 Jun 18, 2013
Jaxxon wrote:
<quoted text>
Can't argue with you there.
To be honest, that last post (Somebody's Watching Me) was supposed to go on another thread.
I'm busy trying to convince some of my friends that the NSA scandal really is a big deal.
I've been willing to speak up when I thought Obama was right and I'm determined to speak up when I think he's wrong and when it comes to spying on American citizens he's on the wrong side of the equation.
I've been posting about it a lot on Square One
I wrote this one...
Is Edward Snowden a Hero or a Traitor?
http://sq1.us/thread/711/edward-snowden-hero-...
And these are just a couple of articles I've posted...
US Allies demand explanations from Obama about NSA spying
http://sq1.us/thread/825/allies-demand-explan...
Obama's Plan to Defend the NSA Is Full of Same Old Excuses
http://sq1.us/thread/847/obamas-plan-defend-f...
Square One is safe. I own it and I don't collect any information on visitors.
I paid it a visit!
Dee Dee Dee

Emmaus, PA

#30 Jun 18, 2013
Wall Street Government wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't know that.
Then again with illegals, they didn't have a visa in the first place.
With rampant identity theft, that can't be controlled, not sure how well that E-Verify system would work.
That has been the excuse for not implementing e-verify. It is possible to beat the system by using a stolen I.D. since the system does not check for stolen or even fake I.D. It only verifies that the information presented matches the database. Let's face it no system is perfect but that is no reason not to use it. Correcting the flaws in the sytem be it e-verify or the immigration system is better than throwing the whole system out as the current proposed amnesty does.

Level 6

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#31 Jun 18, 2013
teddyr4me wrote:
<quoted text>I paid it a visit!
That's great.

I hope you decide to stop by again sometime.

:)
Wall Street Government

Sebastian, FL

#32 Jun 18, 2013
Dee Dee Dee wrote:
<quoted text>
That has been the excuse for not implementing e-verify. It is possible to beat the system by using a stolen I.D. since the system does not check for stolen or even fake I.D. It only verifies that the information presented matches the database. Let's face it no system is perfect but that is no reason not to use it. Correcting the flaws in the sytem be it e-verify or the immigration system is better than throwing the whole system out as the current proposed amnesty does.
Unless they're getting paid cash, they have to put a social security number on their application and on their W-4 form.

What makes you think they won't do the same with E-Verify?

No, it isn't better than the current system and it should be thrown out.

It's a waste of time and money.

Use that money to secure the border, then whine about immigration.

Until we do that, we're pissing in the wind.
Fed Up Vet

Bowie, MD

#33 Jun 18, 2013
Jaxxon wrote:
The republicans are digging themselves a hole they will never get out of.
In today’s highly partisan times, the notion that Republicans need to pass immigration reform to win Hispanic votes from the Democrats is pure fantasy. If Democrats thought for an instant that would happen, immigration reform would die faster than an Obama Budget.
Dee Dee Dee

Emmaus, PA

#34 Jun 18, 2013
Wall Street Government wrote:
<quoted text>
Unless they're getting paid cash, they have to put a social security number on their application and on their W-4 form.
What makes you think they won't do the same with E-Verify?
No, it isn't better than the current system and it should be thrown out.
It's a waste of time and money.
Use that money to secure the border, then whine about immigration.
Until we do that, we're pissing in the wind.
Again you don't like the immigration system because it is not perfect so you want to throw it out, you don't want e-verify because it is not perfect, you don't want to secure the border because that cannot be 100% and perfect. Basically you don't want to do anything. There is a way around any system and if you do not enforce the laws to prevent people from trying to beat the system then you have anarchy which is what we currently have and you propose more of it.
Wall Street Government

Sebastian, FL

#35 Jun 18, 2013
Dee Dee Dee wrote:
<quoted text>
Again you don't like the immigration system because it is not perfect so you want to throw it out, you don't want e-verify because it is not perfect, you don't want to secure the border because that cannot be 100% and perfect. Basically you don't want to do anything. There is a way around any system and if you do not enforce the laws to prevent people from trying to beat the system then you have anarchy which is what we currently have and you propose more of it.
You're crazy.

I do want a secure border, let START with that.

The current immigration policy doesn't work because there no one goes to jail for hiring them, they pay the paltry fine and it's back to business as usual.

So instead of trying something totally different.

You suggest something slightly better than the current system.

WOW, you over stay your visa, now it's a crime.

MOST ILLEGALS don't HAVE VISAS.

Level 6

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#36 Jun 18, 2013
Fed Up Vet wrote:
<quoted text>
In today’s highly partisan times, the notion that Republicans need to pass immigration reform to win Hispanic votes from the Democrats is pure fantasy. If Democrats thought for an instant that would happen, immigration reform would die faster than an Obama Budget.
Who said anything about Hispanic votes?

Wasn't me.

Looking at this from a purely political perspective, the far right rhetoric on immigration has hurt the republican brand with the American people.

In my opinion, it doesn't matter what you do, you can forget about making any real progress with the "Hispanic vote" for at least a decade or more.

That means republicans are going to be even more dependent on the white vote for several election cycles to come and that is not good news for the conservative cause.

The anti-reform lobby (right or wrong) is seen as intolerant, ignorant and even racist and that is mostly because you refused to police your own message and confront the people who were screaming the loudest and many of them just happened to be intolerant, ignorant and racist.

You don't need to worry about the Hispanic vote. You've already lost that battle for now. The youth vote is out of your reach too and young voters have been increasing there participation in recent elections. More bad news.

What you need to be worried about, if you want to remain viable, are moderate and independent white voters and you've been driving those people away too.

Conservatives, especially the far right and tea party factions of the base, simply can not continue to be on the wrong side of public opinion on every social issue ranging from same-sex marriage to immigration and hope to maintain a voting block that can win a national election.

The interest the republicans have in getting immigration reform off the table is not to make immediate gains in the "Hispanic vote", but simply to get this issue off the table and stop the bleeding.
jbndenton

Haslet, TX

#37 Jun 18, 2013
More Republican grandstanding. They make noise but refuse to pay for real action Obama's fenced more border, put more Border Patrol on the ground and deported more illegals than any onebefore him but do you think Republicans will come up withmore money to payforanything more robust? Do theirenhanced criminalization proposals explainhow to fund more prosecutions, incarcerations. Will their plan dump support for US born children on the states when the parents are locked up bytheFeds? Because most of these illegals are working. Oh,and by the way, yeah theywork for substandard wages, but also often in substandard conditons they are afraid to complain about. When they're gone and Anglos get hold of those jobs expect consumer costs to rise
Dee Dee Dee

Emmaus, PA

#38 Jun 18, 2013
Wall Street Government wrote:
<quoted text>
You're crazy.
I do want a secure border, let START with that.
The current immigration policy doesn't work because there no one goes to jail for hiring them, they pay the paltry fine and it's back to business as usual.
So instead of trying something totally different.
You suggest something slightly better than the current system.
WOW, you over stay your visa, now it's a crime.
MOST ILLEGALS don't HAVE VISAS.
I never said do not secure the border or do not arrest employers. Let's try something totally different. Enforce the law, arrest illegals, those who employ them and those who aid them. That includes family, friends, clergy who ever helps and encourages them to live here illegally. You want to arrest employers without providing a way that they can verify that some body is legal. Employers are not ICE and cannot determine if a person is a legal resident without the tools to do so. I guess you want employers to just avoid hiring people with an accent or risk jail.
While most illegal aliens do not even enter legally those who over stay visas do account for a large percentage of illegal aliens and should not be over looked.
Dee Dee Dee

Emmaus, PA

#39 Jun 18, 2013
jbndenton wrote:
More Republican grandstanding. They make noise but refuse to pay for real action Obama's fenced more border, put more Border Patrol on the ground and deported more illegals than any onebefore him but do you think Republicans will come up withmore money to payforanything more robust? Do theirenhanced criminalization proposals explainhow to fund more prosecutions, incarcerations. Will their plan dump support for US born children on the states when the parents are locked up bytheFeds? Because most of these illegals are working. Oh,and by the way, yeah theywork for substandard wages, but also often in substandard conditons they are afraid to complain about. When they're gone and Anglos get hold of those jobs expect consumer costs to rise
Of course cost will rise with wages and better/safer working conditions. I guess you prefer that people are exploited just so you can save one or two hundred dollars a year on yard maintenance and vegetables.
Brenda besson

United States

#40 Jun 18, 2013
Justin wrote:
<quoted text>
President Obama is digging America a hole we will never get out of. He's been digging it $1,500 Billion deeper every year since he's been in office.
yes he is and he enjoys it thats why he should be impeached he is evil when this is all over he plans to move to hawii I wonder why?
Wall Street Government

Sebastian, FL

#41 Jun 18, 2013
Dee Dee Dee wrote:
<quoted text>
I never said do not secure the border or do not arrest employers. Let's try something totally different. Enforce the law, arrest illegals, those who employ them and those who aid them. That includes family, friends, clergy who ever helps and encourages them to live here illegally. You want to arrest employers without providing a way that they can verify that some body is legal. Employers are not ICE and cannot determine if a person is a legal resident without the tools to do so. I guess you want employers to just avoid hiring people with an accent or risk jail.
While most illegal aliens do not even enter legally those who over stay visas do account for a large percentage of illegal aliens and should not be over looked.
"Employers are not ICE".

They're not cops either but seem to weed out the felons easily.

I'm not saying bust a guy who has a few illegals but you have employers who hire full warehouses full of them.

Repeatedly.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Immigration Reform Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Voters have trust issues with Hillary Clinton? ... (Jul '15) 37 min hal 5,444
News Trump spurs a fresh wave of Latino activism 58 min spud 3
News Twice convicted and deported illegal alien arre... 1 hr spud 3
News Glenn Beck Asks Policy Analyst Which Candidate ... 1 hr spud 38
News Undocumented immigrant with sex assault convict... 2 hr spud 7
The Latino Vote (Jun '08) 4 hr IsisTransgenderBa... 749
Rose's Pub (Mar '10) 4 hr Quirky 140,918
More from around the web