Ruben Rosario: Children of illegal im...

Ruben Rosario: Children of illegal immigrants deserve chance to live their dream

There are 1467 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Nov 28, 2010, titled Ruben Rosario: Children of illegal immigrants deserve chance to live their dream. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Brisa, not her real name, grew up in Apple Valley and did not learn until her teenage years that she was not an American but a foreign-born child of undocumented parents living in the U.S. Neither did Julio, not his real name, a 20-year-old from Minneapolis who was smuggled over the Mexico-U.S. desert border near Nogales, Ariz., when he was 10.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 74
Next Last
steve baker

Springfield, MO

#1 Nov 28, 2010
As I currently understand it, "the DREAM Act will be included as an amendment to the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2011." (if we're all going to quote Wikipedia?)

I don't know if it includes Republican Senator Hutchinson's proposed changes, which were acceptable to the Bill's Sponers during the last session, but I wonder why, if it's as simple and limited in scope as it seems, it can't be voted on by itself?
Cricket23

Brookville, KS

#2 Nov 28, 2010
The DREAM Act allows illegal "teens" to petition for their parents, leading eventually to their aunts, uncles, grandparents and cousins:
The big argument for this amnesty is that it is for teenagers who are here illegally because their parents broke the law. Even with the new "less-than-30" age requirement, far more than teens can get this amnesty (and Sen. Durbin has included "humanitarian" and "family unity" exceptions to the age limit). Nonetheless, the argument is that the teenagers should not be punished for the crimes of their parents.
But as soon as DREAM amnesty citizens are over 21, they can bring in their parents who broke the law to get them into the country. The chief criminals will be rewarded after all.
And because of Chain Migration, the amnestied "teens" can see their aunts, uncles, cousins and grandparents getting permanent U.S. residency as well.
- The DREAM Act does not Protect Americans from Terrorists and Criminals:
Illegal immigrants are not required to submit fingerprints or undergo background security checks at any point in the DREAM Act process. Therefore, DHS has no way of learning whether an alien seeking DREAM Act amnesty is a terrorist or criminal. This security failure is compounded by the confidentiality section of the DREAM Act, which is a relic from pre-9/11 days (it’s modeled on the fraud-prone 1986 amnesty). This section basically requires DHS to hide information about terrorist and criminal aliens from itself. If a DHS adjudicator at USCIS learns from a DREAM Act application that an alien poses terrori st or criminal concerns, the adjudicator is prohibited from alerting ICE enforcement officers at DHS, and in fact, if the adjudicator did volunteer such information to ICE, he could be fined $10,000. To cap it all, DHS is prohibited from removing from the United States all aliens, including criminals, terrorists, fraudsters, and other ineligible aliens while they have a DREAM Act application pending, even if that application is based upon fraud or the alien is ineligible.
- The DREAM Act Offers Citizenship to Illegal Aliens Who Lack Good Moral Character:
The DREAM Act does not require that aliens have a history of good moral character; it only requires that they have good moral character from the time that they apply. This means that criminal aliens, terrorists, and other aliens who lack good moral character before they apply get an amnesty for their pre-application period conduct, no matter how bad or extensive that conduct.
- The DREAM Act is Not Just for Young People:
Sponsors insist that the point of the DREAM Act is to provide legal status to “kids” and “young people.” However, the DREAM Act is not directed just at minors. Under the "new" DREAM Act, anyone 29 years old or younger, who illegally entered the United States before the age of 16 and has illegally remained here for 5 years or more will qualify for lawful permanent residence (and eventual citizenship) if they satisfy the easily-met criteria for DREAM Act amnesty. Illegal aliens who are 30-years-old or older can still be granted the DREAM amnesty through "humanitarian" or "family unity" waivers.
- The DREAM Act is a Big Amnesty:
It’s estimated there are some 2 million illegal immigrant children in the United States. They are only a portion of the millions of aliens who will likely qualify for the DREAM Act amnesty, because the DREAM Act does not place a cap on the number of people who qualify, provides exceptions to the newly-formed under-30 age limit, and applies retroactively to anyone who first entered before age 16. Furthermore, the recipients of the DREAM Act amnesty will be permitted to petition for their illegal parents and adult relatives once they become citizens.
Cricket23

Brookville, KS

#3 Nov 28, 2010
The DREAM Act is Deceptive:

The marketing campaign for the DREAM Act makes as though the amnesty is intended for high school graduates who are on their way to college or military service. But the bill as written ensures that illegal immigrants dont have to attend high school or go to college to qualify for the amnesty: they need only take an ability-to-benefit test and complete a 1-year vocational program to get eventual citizenship (and theres no requirement that they actually complete their college education). Nor do aliens have to join the Armed Forces: they need only go to work for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration or Public Health Service for 2 years to get eventual citizenship.

- The DREAM Act is a Fraud Machine:

We know from experience that amnesty from immigration laws generates massive fraud, and the DREAM Act is no exception. Nothing in the DREAM Act will prevent a 29-year old alien from asserting that he entered the United States before the age of 16 and has remained here ever since. The DREAM Act is silent on how DHS will determine the veracity of such claims. The DREAM Act will actually promote fraud because it prevents DHS from deporting aliens whove applied for the amnesty until their applications are resolved a process that will likely take years, because DHS lacks the resources to rapidly process the millions of applications it will receive. Even if DHS eventually decides that some aliens do not qualify for the amnesty, DHS cannot use the statements aliens made in their applications to deport them, because their statements are protected by the confidentiality section in the DREAM Act.

- The DREAM Act is Unfair to American Students and Taxpayers:

The "new" DREAM Act removed the in-state college tuition section. However, aliens who get the amnesty will become legal residents and will therefore be automatically eligible for in-state tuition anyway.

- The DREAM Act Puts Illegal Immigrants at the Front of the Line for Green Cards:

The DREAM Act requires that applications for its amnesty must be expedited, bars DHS from charging fees for expedited service, and fails to provide DHS the additional personnel and equipment needed to handle expedited applications. Because millions of people will file applications for DREAM Act amnesty (regardless of whether or not they eventually qualify), DHS will experience a significant backlog of cases that will necessarily slow DHS ability to process conventional business and family visas, and applications for naturalization. This will adversely impact our economy, and disrupt the settled expectations of intending legal immigrants to the United States.
Cricket23

Brookville, KS

#4 Nov 28, 2010
The DREAM Act Will Allow Dangerous Criminal Aliens to Remain At Large in the United States:

DHS lacks the resources to detain all criminal aliens it encounters in the United States, and so DHS has to pick and choose which criminals to hold for deportation. When DHS deports a criminal al ien, the detention or bed space vacated by the out-going criminal is immediately filled by another criminal alien. The DREAM Act does not disqualify anyone (even criminals) from filing an application and bars DHS from removing any alien whos filed an application for amnesty. Thus, criminal aliens who have no desire to be deported will file DREAM Act applications to halt or slow their deportations, which means they will spend more time taking up detention space which could be used to house other criminal aliens. That means more criminal aliens whom DHS cannot house will be free to roam the United States. The DREAM Act also creates an opportunity for extremely dangerous criminal aliens to be released into the general population. By law, a criminal alien who is subject to a final order of removal must be released from DHS custody within 90 days if his removal is not reasonably foreseeable. As mentioned previously, the DREAM Act does not allocate resources to DHS to process the millions of applications that are sure to be filed, which will result in very lengthy delays. The result? A dangerous criminal alien who would otherwise have been removed from the United States files his DREAM Act application, and when that application stalls at DHS with millions of others, he can file a petition in a district court after 90 days to effect his release because his removal is not reasonably foreseeable.
Cricket23

Brookville, KS

#5 Nov 28, 2010
The DREAM Act's astronomical costs

DREAM Act advocates estimate that approximately 65,000 * DREAMers graduate
from high school or obtain their high school equivalency. Under the Act,
DREAMers up to the age of 35 would be able to apply for benefits under the
Act. For the eighteen year span between eighteen year old and 35 year old
DREAMers, approximately 1.17 million illegal aliens would be eligible for
benefits under the Act during the first year alone with an estimated 65,000
every year thereafter. Approximately 455,000 DREAMers would be under the
age of 24 and would qualify for federal financial aid as dependent students
allowing each of them to borrow up to $5500/year. The additional 715,000
DREAMers would qualify as independent students allowing them to borrow up to
$9500/year in federal student loans each. Under this formula, federal
student loans for DREAMers in dependent status would be approximately
$2,502,500,000 while independent DREAMers would receive a combined total of
approximately $6,792,500,000 during the first year.

At the beginning of the second year of the DREAM Act being in effect, an
additional 65,000 DREAMers would be eligible for federal loans of up to
$5500 and approximately 65,000 DREAMers would've turned 24 years of age and
would be eligible to borrow up to $9500/year. The costs to the U.S. taxpayer
of subsidizing the tuition of the approximately 1.23 million illegal aliens
who would benefit from the DREAM Act over the first two years of its
enactment would be $19,207,500,000.

http://www.examiner.com/immigration-in-nation...
Peter

Houston, TX

#6 Nov 28, 2010
Here's our Ruben, open border Apologist-in-Chief for the PP. Just another in a long running series of articles calling for amnesty and an open border. Ruben we get it, our anyone opposed to an open border is a racist, no mystery there.

But what remains a mystery is how writing these articles can make for a viable job. Seriously, write an article some time about how you could possibly make a living this way.

If you really want to perform a public service, write articles for some paper in Mexico telling people to stay home. Warn the folks there that we're starting to get upset about people flaunting our immigration laws.

Judged:

15

12

7

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Scheme Act

Chicago, IL

#7 Nov 28, 2010
I had a DREAM where immigration laws were enforced and businesses were required to hire unemployed American citizens. I had a DREAM where I wasn't subsidizing health care costs for people who are here illegally while I'm having a hard time paying for my own. I had a DREAM where our Government spent their time and my tax dollars on issues and programs that effect those of us paying taxes. I hope my DREAMS become a reality as opposed to the scheme act championed here

Judged:

19

18

7

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Peter

Houston, TX

#8 Nov 28, 2010
Scheme Act wrote:
I had a DREAM where immigration laws were enforced and businesses were required to hire unemployed American citizens. I had a DREAM where I wasn't subsidizing health care costs for people who are here illegally while I'm having a hard time paying for my own. I had a DREAM where our Government spent their time and my tax dollars on issues and programs that effect those of us paying taxes. I hope my DREAMS become a reality as opposed to the scheme act championed here
That's hilarious. Yes, I too have a Dream that one day our government will perform one of its most basic functions: Enforcing our border.
Peter

Houston, TX

#10 Nov 28, 2010
A Proud American wrote:
Cricket23, you are such an animal and certainly no one to judge them. Anyone deceptive here is you and your twisted words.
We are here because our European ancestors came to settle here illegally. They came and made life on these lands work for them, for their families.
Todays illegals want the same chances our first illegal ancestors gave us. Their parents are paying into the system. They dont get anything for nothing. Neither health care, nor education, nor anything else you want to make up in your sick twisted head.
Some of our ancestors were wiped out by the Indians because they judged themselves superior over our country's inhabitants, the Indians who were here first. They came, they took, they killed the Indians who defied their animalistic, selfish and superior ways.
Todays illegals dont want to take over our land. They only want to share the same opportunities our illegal European ancestors made possible for us. Give them the same chance and they will give back to greedy you - more than these millions of dollars in your twisted formula will come back to you.
You are a sick, racist and twisted individual.
SHARE THIS LAND THAT WASNT OURS IN THE FIRST PLACE.
The Indians lost. Their experience is something to learn from, not to emulate. Smarten up.

The country doesn't need any more drop outs. Our standard of living is based on skills, not those with 6th grade educations.

"Paying into the system"? Psst, here's a secret: People without skills have low incomes. People with low incomes pay very little in taxes. There isn't a school district in the United States that ever balanced its books by a show of hands of how many people paid "something". They do it with actual dollars, something in short supply among peasants. So, maybe you don't want to brag too much about the whole "paying into the system" thing. Just sayin'.
nomw

Minneapolis, MN

#11 Nov 28, 2010
Well, this is an interesting article for sure. I do feel for the children that were brought here illegally, but why don't we enforce the immigration laws? Just lip service again. If you are illegal, then you should be sent back to your homeland. As far as education goes, how about my child who can't finish his degree because there is no more money? Who will help him? Me, I suppose. We are legal citizens and do not stand a chance for help. If I came here illegally, then I would have someone on the inside that helps streamline these people to all of the services they can get. I think if someone is an illegal alien, the immigration should do their job and send them back to where ever they came from. Then if an illegal is caught, they should never be given citizenship. Also, be sure they are all finger printed so their status can be checked.
Carl

Minneapolis, MN

#12 Nov 28, 2010
To A Proud American-

Which "European ancestors came to settle here illegally?" US immigration laws are relatively recent, though appropriate, creations.

“SEMPER FI”

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

#13 Nov 28, 2010
Children of illegal immigrants deserve chance to live their dream!

ABLOLUTELY! In MEXICO!
nateonthenet

Cottage Grove, MN

#14 Nov 28, 2010
Ruben:

We may turn you into a moderate conservative yet! Immigration is a three legged stool: close the borders, develop a path to citizenship, and penalize companies that hire illegals. It serves no purpose to victimize illegals for doing what our government and business want them to do - come here and remain second class citizens. Nothing will be done to address this issue in the next four years.

But, we can address the best and brightest of the kids. You say there are 2,000,000 who potentially qualify. Typically, half of those elegible for college pursue it. So, with 2,000,000 eleigible, maybe 1,000,000 would apply for college. Of that, half drop out so we would have about 500,000 kids suceed in this program. All economists agree that a college graduate pays far more in taxes than he/she ever receives in benefits. These are exactly the people we want if we are going to create a viable 21'st century workforce. Personally, I would give green cards to every foreign student upon graduation from college. Who knows when we will get another Sergey Brin - the Russian born founder of Google? Half our Nobel laureates are foreign born students who stay here and make meaningful contributions to science, medicine, and technology. How can we ever go wrong by keeping the best and the brightest of the kids no matter their place of birth? Immigration is a tough issue. But, keeping the best students as citizens should be a seperate issue. It makes economic sense. And, God knows we need to help our country economically.
My Dream

United States

#15 Nov 28, 2010
I have a dream too and it's not amnesty or the DREAM Act, but that of deporting them with their parents. Border jumpers be gone!
wet backs

Minneapolis, MN

#16 Nov 28, 2010
Anchor babies also need to be deported with their parents Rosario. They need to come into the country legally and then they can have babies. The current law is bad law and needs to change.
A Proud American

Saint Paul, MN

#17 Nov 28, 2010
Pssst, Peter - Meet Cricket23.
A Proud American

Saint Paul, MN

#18 Nov 28, 2010
Carl wrote:
To A Proud American-
Which "European ancestors came to settle here illegally?" US immigration laws are relatively recent, though appropriate, creations.
Please read this slowly: There was no America then, thus no US immigration laws. Geez, are you bright! But there were Indians here when the first illegals arrived and the Indians had their laws. Maybe not written laws like ours, but nevertheless they were their laws. And the illegals chose to ignore those laws and made up excuses for slaughtering them and stealing their land. If the land was theirs, they wouldnt have stolen it in the first place. Right? You dont steal whats yours. There is a reason American history says we stole their land - it wasnt ours to settle in, in the first place. Then, supposedly, to make things right we offer to pay them for the land we stole. And we still owe the Indians millions, probably billions by now. And then there are those anchor baby descendants who are still making up excuses to justify denying todays illegals the same opportunites we are fortunate to enjoy.
colonial america

Minneapolis, MN

#19 Nov 28, 2010
A Proud American wrote:
<quoted text>
Please read this slowly: There was no America then, thus no US immigration laws. Geez, are you bright! But there were Indians here when the first illegals arrived and the Indians had their laws. Maybe not written laws like ours, but nevertheless they were their laws. And the illegals chose to ignore those laws and made up excuses for slaughtering them and stealing their land. If the land was theirs, they wouldnt have stolen it in the first place. Right? You dont steal whats yours. There is a reason American history says we stole their land - it wasnt ours to settle in, in the first place. Then, supposedly, to make things right we offer to pay them for the land we stole. And we still owe the Indians millions, probably billions by now. And then there are those anchor baby descendants who are still making up excuses to justify denying todays illegals the same opportunites we are fortunate to enjoy.
There was no country back then Bozo. The Indians has no organized country. The tribes fought and killed each other over land and hunting grounds. Their borders were constantly changing and they weren't united. That's why they lost the land to Europeans.
colonial america

Minneapolis, MN

#20 Nov 28, 2010
A Proud American wrote:
<quoted text>
Please read this slowly: There was no America then, thus no US immigration laws. Geez, are you bright! But there were Indians here when the first illegals arrived and the Indians had their laws. Maybe not written laws like ours, but nevertheless they were their laws. And the illegals chose to ignore those laws and made up excuses for slaughtering them and stealing their land. If the land was theirs, they wouldnt have stolen it in the first place. Right? You dont steal whats yours. There is a reason American history says we stole their land - it wasnt ours to settle in, in the first place. Then, supposedly, to make things right we offer to pay them for the land we stole. And we still owe the Indians millions, probably billions by now. And then there are those anchor baby descendants who are still making up excuses to justify denying todays illegals the same opportunites we are fortunate to enjoy.
There was no country back then Bozo. The Indians had no organized country. The tribes fought and killed each other over land and hunting grounds. Their borders were constantly changing and they weren't united. That's why they lost the land to Europeans.
nateonthenet

Cottage Grove, MN

#21 Nov 28, 2010
OMG! This is not about native americans. This is about taking the bright kids and getting them paying taxes to help our country. This is about job creation. This is not about immigration. Take the best kids wherever they come from and finish their educations so we can advance our businesses and grow our damned economy.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 74
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Immigration Reform Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Reporter Goes Where Liberal Media Won't, Asks S... 8 min Retribution 35
Has Donald Trump Already Failed Us? 30 min Mr Biggelsworth 1,174
Rose's Pub (Mar '10) 2 hr Just Slim 144,599
News Can I Criticize Islam Without Fearing For My Life? 4 hr go 11
News Knoxville leaders: Immigrants shouldn't fear po... 4 hr South Knox Hombre 2
News County to help Mexico educate immigrants on rights 5 hr New Resident 36
News Profiling Islamophobes 6 hr BuildTheWall 7
More from around the web