CNN acquires former Washington Post j...

CNN acquires former Washington Post journalist's film on illegal immigration to air in 2014

There are 15 comments on the Brandon Sun story from Nov 19, 2013, titled CNN acquires former Washington Post journalist's film on illegal immigration to air in 2014. In it, Brandon Sun reports that:

A former Washington Post journalist who later revealed he was living in the country illegally has made a documentary about his experience and is selling U.S. broadcast rights for the project to CNN Films.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Brandon Sun.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#1 Nov 19, 2013
why is he still here?
MPB

Van Nuys, CA

#2 Nov 19, 2013
Because you are a dumb@$$, thats why! The guy is 1000 times smarter than you, and while you wonder why he is still here, he is pursuing his dream! Think about it.. or wait, u dont have a brain to think with...my bad...
wild child

Brooklyn, NY

#3 Nov 19, 2013
Lol, no one cares.
Dee Dee Dee

Emmaus, PA

#5 Nov 19, 2013
I thought it was illegal to profit from your crimes by selling books and movies especially when the victims have not been compensated and restitution has not been made.
Oldglory

Coachella, CA

#7 Nov 19, 2013
What's an "undocumented"?
Dee Dee Dee

Coopersburg, PA

#9 Nov 19, 2013
We have a case locally of a teacher who had a felony conviction that would not prevent him from teaching legally in the state. It was a financial crime that happened many years ago and cost him the right to practice law. He paid his debt to society by going to jail, paid back the money, stayed out of trouble and started a new life but he was fired after many years of teaching because of an anonymous tip to a newspaper. He was fired for lying on his employment application about his criminal record even though telling the truth would not have legally prevented him from teaching. On the other hand we have a guy who lied and used fraudulent documentation to create an entire fictitious life and he has never paid his debt for his multiple crimes. Because he is an illegal alien he is being rewarded for his lies, crimes and deceptions and he is being held up as an example to encourage others to come here and break the laws of this country with the assurance that they will not be held accountable but instead rewarded.
While I do not defend the teacher for lying why should an American have his life ruined for one lie but an illegal alien is rewarded for multiple lies and crimes?
Who Knows

Royal Oak, MI

#10 Nov 19, 2013
Dee Dee Dee wrote:
We have a case locally of a teacher who had a felony conviction that would not prevent him from teaching legally in the state. It was a financial crime that happened many years ago and cost him the right to practice law. He paid his debt to society by going to jail, paid back the money, stayed out of trouble and started a new life but he was fired after many years of teaching because of an anonymous tip to a newspaper. He was fired for lying on his employment application about his criminal record even though telling the truth would not have legally prevented him from teaching. On the other hand we have a guy who lied and used fraudulent documentation to create an entire fictitious life and he has never paid his debt for his multiple crimes. Because he is an illegal alien he is being rewarded for his lies, crimes and deceptions and he is being held up as an example to encourage others to come here and break the laws of this country with the assurance that they will not be held accountable but instead rewarded.
While I do not defend the teacher for lying why should an American have his life ruined for one lie but an illegal alien is rewarded for multiple lies and crimes?
Very interesting, thanks for sharing.
Illegals are protected...what can you say?
Fed Up Vet

Manassas, VA

#11 Nov 19, 2013
Wow

A public confession. So is anyone in the Obama administration listening?
Dee Dee Dee

Coopersburg, PA

#12 Nov 20, 2013
You have to remember that this entire administration is built on the support of people who believe that breaking the law and scamming the system are justifiable things to do because they get what they want by doing so. You bet the Obama administration is listening. What better way to encourage people to come here illegally than by showing off an illegal alien who cheated, lied and stole his way to becoming a wealthy and powerful person that does not have to fear the law?
Jesus Malverde

United States

#13 Nov 20, 2013
We need more of these types of young people. They are the future of this country.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#14 Nov 20, 2013
Dee Dee Dee wrote:
You have to remember that this entire administration is built on the support of people who believe that breaking the law and scamming the system are justifiable things to do because they get what they want by doing so. You bet the Obama administration is listening. What better way to encourage people to come here illegally than by showing off an illegal alien who cheated, lied and stole his way to becoming a wealthy and powerful person that does not have to fear the law?
not only this our gov is paying them to come here.all know come here illegally if you want to,laws are not enforced and crime is rewarded.
Memo From Turner

United States

#15 Nov 20, 2013
Dee Dee Dee wrote:
I thought it was illegal to profit from your crimes by selling books and movies especially when the victims have not been compensated and restitution has not been made.
Of course unlawful presence in the US is a civil violation. Not a crime. No matter how many times you stick your fingers in your ears and say it is not so nothing changes.

You would be surprised how many authors have received traffic tickets in their lives. Even Pulitzer Prize winners.
Dee Dee Dee

Coopersburg, PA

#16 Nov 21, 2013
Memo From Turner wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course unlawful presence in the US is a civil violation. Not a crime. No matter how many times you stick your fingers in your ears and say it is not so nothing changes.
You would be surprised how many authors have received traffic tickets in their lives. Even Pulitzer Prize winners.
Committing fraud is a felony. He was caught driving with a fraudulent drivers license and given a pass. He has filed multiple fraudulent tax returns and has been given a pass, he has purchased vehicles, opened accounts, etc. all with fraudulent documentation. Like most illegal aliens unlawful presence is the least of his crimes. In addition many people knew he was and is an illegal alien and they have aided and abetted him which is also a felony but none of them have been investigated let alone charged with their crimes.
In short the man is a serial criminal yet because of his immigration status, ethnic background and political affiliation he is being given a pass for all his crimes and he is being rewarded for being a thief, liar and conman.
Memo From Turner

United States

#17 Nov 21, 2013
Dee Dee Dee wrote:
<quoted text>
Committing fraud is a felony. He was caught driving with a fraudulent drivers license and given a pass. He has filed multiple fraudulent tax returns and has been given a pass, he has purchased vehicles, opened accounts, etc. all with fraudulent documentation. Like most illegal aliens unlawful presence is the least of his crimes. In addition many people knew he was and is an illegal alien and they have aided and abetted him which is also a felony but none of them have been investigated let alone charged with their crimes.
In short the man is a serial criminal yet because of his immigration status, ethnic background and political affiliation he is being given a pass for all his crimes and he is being rewarded for being a thief, liar and conman.
I keep forgetting that you are not to be taken seriously. If you actually read the news or know anything about the subject you would know that the guy had no idea he was undocumented until he was 16 and tried to get a drivers permit and they rejected him.

I have never heard of him driving illegally, but then again it would be a CIVIL OFFENSE. It does not matter how many times you say the same God damn thing. It is still wrong.
Dee Dee Dee

Coopersburg, PA

#18 Nov 21, 2013
Memo From Turner wrote:
<quoted text>
I keep forgetting that you are not to be taken seriously. If you actually read the news or know anything about the subject you would know that the guy had no idea he was undocumented until he was 16 and tried to get a drivers permit and they rejected him.
I have never heard of him driving illegally, but then again it would be a CIVIL OFFENSE. It does not matter how many times you say the same God damn thing. It is still wrong.
True he has been committing fraud for only a bit over half his life because before he as 18 his parents, who have never been prosecuted, were committing fraud for him. Thanks to their upbringing he decided to continue the family tradition of theft, deceit and fraud.
Actually fraudulently acquiring a drive's license is not a civil offense it is a felony yet while his license was canceled when the fraud was discovered, thanks to his confession in his essay, he was never charged. He also admitted to having a fraudulently obtained Oregon driver's license.

Officials opened an investigation after Jose Antonio Vargas' essay about his background was published in the New York Times Magazine in June, Department of Licensing spokeswoman Christine Anthony said Thursday.

Vargas wrote in the essay that he obtained a driver's license in Washington earlier this year after his Oregon license expired.

"We conducted in an investigation and concluded that he wasn't residing at the address he provided us," Anthony said.

The Licensing Department sent Vargas a letter requesting proof of residency, and the letter was returned. The state canceled his license July 18.

In his essay, Vargas wrote about worrying that his Oregon license would expire when he turned 30.

"Early this year, just two weeks before my 30th birthday, I won a small reprieve: I obtained a driver's license in the state of Washington. The license is valid until 2016. This offered me five more years of acceptable identification – but also five more years of fear, of lying to people I respect and institutions that trusted me, of running away from who I am," Vargas wrote.

In 2012 he was caught driving without a valid license or insurance and arrested but when ICE was notified of his illegal status he released rather than being held for deportation as the law requires. Instead he was released under ICE policies that circumvent the law for "special" cases.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Immigration Reform Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News If Donald Trump Was President, Here's What Woul... (Oct '15) 3 min Golden 10,515
News Illegal Immigration Figures in Montana (Sep '15) 1 hr Bama Yankee 35
Rose's Pub (Mar '10) 4 hr Just Slim 141,974
News Critics: Trump speech signals shift to coded ra... 5 hr Elarena 48
News Trump Isn't Bluffing, He'll Deport 11 Million P... 8 hr Black Russian 5,757
News The Chicago Law Firm Run by a Trio of Black Women 12 hr Oh No You Di-nt 1
News Sanders: Don't blame Islam for Orlando shooting 12 hr Khan 1,147
More from around the web