The Century of made in Japan is over

Aug 31, 2012 Full story: www.autonews.com 25

Japanese cars head home as the yen erodes the century of made in Japan.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Proteus

Windsor, Canada

#21 Sep 12, 2012
JJFADS wrote:
Such an insightful comment. Care to offer a positive thought?
When you post something more than empty bafflegab, then perhaps you might elicit an insightful response.
Half baked opinions don't count.

“Most Honored Senior Member ”

Since: Jun 09

Dallas, TX.

#22 Sep 12, 2012
Let me delve deeper and maybe I will get a bite.?
Investors are paying about twice what they do for Toyota compared to Ford and about 50% more than VW. Thatís down from 5x from Ford and 3x from VW since 06 based on price-to-sales ratios.
Competition is fierce and quite frankly they will have to move production out of Japan. So far they have been slow to make those tough decisions. Itís no different than Ford building in Queens. The costs are to darn high and the Yen is biting them at every turn
Proteus

Windsor, Canada

#23 Sep 13, 2012
JJFADS' take on macroeconomics is deliberately one sided and simply another manifestation of his well known distain for Japanese automakers..
He focuses on a developing situation in that country whilst ignoring the exact same phenomenon in his own country--which preceded the situation in Japan by at least a decade and is still ongoing.
Oh yeah...Want to talk about currency differential--ie a high yen?
By all means do so, but let's not overlook the main reason for it just now.
The US Dollar is low and trending lower, thanks to a US Fed policy which holds the value low to stimulate US exports, while at the same time making it far more expensive for imports?
Care to include that in your discussion Mr. JJFADs?
Also, care to talk about the shift of US auto manufacturing to Mexico over the past decade?

“Most Honored Senior Member ”

Since: Jun 09

Dallas, TX.

#24 Sep 13, 2012

Yes. This is no different from US production in Mexico. Business must go where itís profitable. Weíre looking at a similar situation in Canada with the cost to build there. I agree the value of the dollar is low due much in part of actions by the Fed (directed by Washington). I disagree with your suggestion that we are deliberately holding the value down to help exports.

The reason weíre talking about Japan is because this is an article about Japan and itís noteworthy. Once strong Japanese companies being forced to end the practice of building in their own backyard (a staple of those companies) is a big change. At any rate, thank you for responding to the comments.

I also responded yesterday to your comments about the Volt.
Just me

Surabaya, Indonesia

#25 Nov 13, 2012
Dear Japanese
Koreans beat you at electronics
Germans beat you at product exports
Singaporeans beat you at banking and finance
Swiss beat you at effiency
Americans beat you at military capability
Chinese beat you at GDP
So, what will you do now to safe yourself from these utter defeats?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hurricane Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Police chief: Crime down 23 percent in Moss Point Sun Kelly 1
Hurricane Odile to Hit Baja California Mexico o... Sun Kelly 1
The latest on damaging earthquake in California Sep 11 Sneaky Pete 18
Storms, possible tornado forecast for metro Det... Sep 10 Steve 2
Dangerous Rip Currents Strike Jersey Shore Sep 8 Filthy mick 3
Solved: The mystery of the rolling rocks Sep 5 Jean 1
Governor McCrory Urges Residents to Be Disaster... Sep 4 Joan 1
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••