The Sinking of New York City's Subways

Nov 16, 2012 Full story: Counterpunch

It took just short days before New York's subways overcame the assorted horrors of 'Frankenstorm', Superstorm Sandy's turning subway tunnels into horizontal saltwater silos proving nothing that could stop NY.

Full Story
Not Stupid

Sweden

#1 Nov 16, 2012
I noticed the MTA caption on the flooding of the L line tunnel spoke of "If" any repairs are needed. With thousands of feet of the tunnel flooded, and water fifteen feet deep, why is it that I have the feeling NY officials might be exercising some 'undue optimism', especially when it was said that the restoration would take much longer, safety concerns being the reason.

Maybe I'm being a skeptic, but I keep thinking that if something seems too good to be real, just maybe it's not.

It's important to have the subways running, but it seems even more important that they're not running into each other. The photo of the Washington crash makes a point, and I think a very important one. I hope the point isn't lost on New York's officials.

It wasn't good that Mayor Bloomberg took so long to cancel the NYC Marathon, but it could be a lot worse if we find the subways opened too quickly.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hurricane Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Gov. Cuomo Blames Northeast Snowstorm on 'Chang... 4 hr SpaceBlues 3
Offices closed, flights cancelled in Atlantic C... 21 hr Nantucket 1
Philly to Boston bracing for up to 3 feet of pa... Tue reality is a crutch 1
U.S. braces for 'historic' blizzard as storms s... Mon Ray 1
Blizzard to Impact Atlantic Canada Mon Ray 2
On This Day: Hurricane Andrew Ravages Southern ... Jan 22 higuy21 2
Stunning: Lightning illuminates center of Cyclo... Jan 22 good try 1
More from around the web