Isaac's floodwaters strand hundreds a...

Isaac's floodwaters strand hundreds at LaPlace shelter

There are 40 comments on the The Times-Picayune story from Aug 29, 2012, titled Isaac's floodwaters strand hundreds at LaPlace shelter. In it, The Times-Picayune reports that:

New Wine Christian Fellowship Church in LaPlace was the pre-planned emergency shelter in St.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Times-Picayune.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
confused

Knoxville, TN

#1 Aug 29, 2012
why did rescuers risk their lives for people who did not leave when they were told to? should have left them there
Brandy

Rock Springs, WY

#2 Aug 29, 2012
Alot of people aren't able to evacuate for some reason or another, I bet you wouldn't say leave them there if someone you cared about was stranded!! Think before you type!
Confused

New York, NY

#3 Aug 29, 2012
Unlike Katrina,there was a contingency for everyone to leave. My family didn't leave because they thought "it couldn't happen to them".
Plaquemines did not rescue anyone. There were volunteer residents.
No one listens.
Marine1

Spring, TX

#4 Aug 29, 2012
confused wrote:
why did rescuers risk their lives for people who did not leave when they were told to? should have left them there
St. John the Babtist Parish did not issue a mandatory evacuation. You are an idiot, you better hope you're never in a position to need help because those words are going to taste real bad when you eat them as you reach out for help. Not only that but your comment shows that you are a coward.
believer

Santa Rosa Beach, FL

#5 Aug 29, 2012
it really does not matter who, what, when, where, or how,these people need prayers. we should all pray for all being effected by this storm.
Concerned

Haslet, TX

#6 Aug 29, 2012
I have family and friends who were rescued from they're homes. This is not an area that floods at all! They thought they would be safe in they're homes because they have always been safe for the many storms that came before. To the confused and ignorant fuckard- get a life! Be careful what you say because it might turn around on you! I'm praying for my family and I hope we are able to find my elderly uncle from Laplace,la.
David Harris

Rathdrum, ID

#7 Aug 29, 2012
Anyone know anything about LaPlace Park subdivision in LaPlace, LA? I have a cousin who lives there with his wife and haven't heard from them. Last name is Gravley. If you know anything please let me know at [email protected] yahoo.com (remove space). Thank you.
praying

Loganville, GA

#8 Aug 29, 2012
thinking before you speak is truly something people should take heed to! Just praying, that our families are okay. we are from new orleans but didn't move back, born and raised there, just didn't want to keep running every time a storm came. But most of our family did, and most of them did not leave for hurricane isaac,BECAUSE OF FINANCES AND NO VEHICLES,AND WAS NOT MANDATORY IN THEIR AREA! so we just pray, and wait, not thinking about La Place getting hit by anything. But my mom-n-law and grandma, her husband and brother, are on Cambridge Dr., La Place, if anyone knows anything please say something, did it flood there, how bad, did they need to be rescued?
David Harris

Rathdrum, ID

#9 Aug 29, 2012
confused wrote:
why did rescuers risk their lives for people who did not leave when they were told to? should have left them there
Now is not the time to be a jackass. I risk my life every day saving idiots just like you. Do you think I should stop? Bet you wouldn't if it were happening to you.
NEED TO KNOW

Loganville, GA

#10 Aug 29, 2012
I WOULD NOT WANT TO PUT ANYONE IN DANGER BECAUSE OF MY BAD DECISIONS, BUT PEOPLE WHO ARE OUT THERE RESCUING THE FOLKS WHO DID NOT LEAVE, LOVE THEIR JOB, THAT IS WHAT THEY DO, SO IT IS AN HONOR FOR THEM TO HELP THOSE IN NEED. I AM GRATEFUL FOR THEM, AND HOPE ALL GOES WELL!DON'T BE CONFUSED, GET EDUCATED:p
David Harris

Rathdrum, ID

#11 Aug 29, 2012
praying wrote:
thinking before you speak is truly something people should take heed to! Just praying, that our families are okay. we are from new orleans but didn't move back, born and raised there, just didn't want to keep running every time a storm came. But most of our family did, and most of them did not leave for hurricane isaac,BECAUSE OF FINANCES AND NO VEHICLES,AND WAS NOT MANDATORY IN THEIR AREA! so we just pray, and wait, not thinking about La Place getting hit by anything. But my mom-n-law and grandma, her husband and brother, are on Cambridge Dr., La Place, if anyone knows anything please say something, did it flood there, how bad, did they need to be rescued?
Hope everything turns out okay for you. Hang in there and keep praying.
Sarah Thompson

Atlanta, GA

#12 Aug 29, 2012
Please can any one tell me about the colona rv park on airline please
praying

Loganville, GA

#13 Aug 29, 2012
thanks DH, will do, i'm praying for EVERYONE!
flooded

United States

#14 Aug 30, 2012
David Harris wrote:
Anyone know anything about LaPlace Park subdivision in LaPlace, LA? I have a cousin who lives there with his wife and haven't heard from them. Last name is Gravley. If you know anything please let me know at [email protected] yahoo.com (remove space). Thank you.
I live down the beginning of Gardenia. We had water throughout our house and had to leave around 8pm. The front of the neighborhood was fine at that time, but it was still rising. Good luck.
flooded

United States

#15 Aug 30, 2012
flooded wrote:
<quoted text>
I live down the beginning of Gardenia. We had water throughout our house and had to leave around 8pm. The front of the neighborhood was fine at that time, but it was still rising. Good luck.
Also we had no cell service out there. There was no way to contact anyone to let them know about us.
jessikad

Leominster, MA

#16 Aug 30, 2012
Anyone know how Reserve faired. Have family there and have not heard from them since yesterday afternoon. My daughters father was helping rescue people of their roofs. Praying for them and all the other familys in La.
resident

Lake Hiawatha, NJ

#17 Aug 30, 2012
confused wrote:
why did rescuers risk their lives for people who did not leave when they were told to? should have left them there
This area was not an evacuation zone prior to the hurricane. So many judges with so little knowledge.
David Harris

Rathdrum, ID

#19 Aug 30, 2012
Found my cousin and his wife. They were evacuated due to flooding but are okay. Just to let you all know, found out a lot of landlines are down and cell towers are VERY intermittent in their service. Only thing to do is keep trying. Alexandria is the first place the evacuees are being taken.
Seagull

Southfield, MI

#20 Aug 30, 2012
confused wrote:
why did rescuers risk their lives for people who did not leave when they were told to? should have left them there
JERK! Next time you're in a life threatening jam due to an honest mistake on your part, hope no one rescues you!
karen

Severna Park, MD

#21 Aug 30, 2012
Just spoke to my brother on lafitte st in Laplace. Has one foot of water and doesn't want to evacuate for they will take him to Alexandria and he has birds, a dog and cat.
Does anyone know where he can go with his animals? He has a second floor though but I tried to tell him to get his animals off the first floor for the water has bacteria and could harm the animal's health. He seems overwhelmed by everything that is happening and won't listen. I live in Maryland and feel helpless to help. If anyone can help with info it would be greatly appreciated.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hurricane Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Feds rush aid to Puerto Rico amid growing pleas... 2 hr BHM5267 2
News Dolce&Gabbana court youth with offbeat looks in... Mon Tea Bag Residue C... 1
News Aid begins to flow to hurricane-hit Puerto Rico Sun Tea Bag Residue C... 1
News Weird 3 hour ago 10:29 a.m.FEMA tweets wrong nu... Sat Xstain Spot Remover 7
News Note to Texas, Florida: Insurance fights over S... Sep 23 a_visitor 1
News Following a hurricane's wake of destruction in ... Sep 23 The Bible Student 7
News Get a dronea s eye view of storm tides batterin... Sep 22 eye int the sky 1
More from around the web