Looming Humanitarian Crisis' In Mindanao

Looming Humanitarian Crisis' In Mindanao

There are 57 comments on the Manila Bulletin story from Dec 15, 2012, titled Looming Humanitarian Crisis' In Mindanao. In it, Manila Bulletin reports that:

MANILA, Philippines --- A top-level crisis management team similar to the one deployed during the full search for the late Interior Secretary Jesse Robredo should be assigned in Mindanao to address a "looming humanitarian crisis" in areas badly hit by typhoon "Pablo." The United Nationalist Alliance aired this proposal yesterday, citing the "rising ... (more)

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Manila Bulletin.

Lol

San Francisco, CA

#21 Dec 29, 2012
amc wrote:
<quoted text>
maybe part of it will make into city clinics, but i know where it will go out here in the province.
the sex education wont make it to the classrooms, because quite frankly the teachers arent qualified to teach it when they are still teaching superstitious beliefs as facts.
any free contraceptives will probably be sold.
lol, it's not even working in the USA. Just watch Judge Judy when those young single mothers asking for child support from irresponsible fathers have more than 3 children.

AMC don't be too hard on the Filipinos. The teachers in PH are as good as any teacher in the world. There are hundreds of Filipino teachers hired from the Philippines to teach in the USA.
heres kennyyyyyyyyyyy

Cavite, Philippines

#22 Dec 29, 2012
Lol wrote:
<quoted text>
lol, it's not even working in the USA. Just watch Judge Judy when those young single mothers asking for child support from irresponsible fathers have more than 3 children.
AMC don't be too hard on the Filipinos. The teachers in PH are as good as any teacher in the world. There are hundreds of Filipino teachers hired from the Philippines to teach in the USA.
Sorry to disagree with you on this but - the education system here is krap and thats being generous -if a person goes through the education system here and becomes a teacher they MAY be able to teach up to elementary level only .

Since: Jun 11

Dunstable, UK

#23 Dec 29, 2012
heres kennyyyyyyyyyyy wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry to disagree with you on this but - the education system here is krap and thats being generous -if a person goes through the education system here and becomes a teacher they MAY be able to teach up to elementary level only .
Agree with you Kenny. Earlier this year I met a school mate of my wife and her English was pretty bad. During the conversation she said she was a teacher so innocently I asked what subjects she taught. I really had to bite my tongue to stop laughing when she said she taught English. Those kids have no chance.
Lol

San Francisco, CA

#24 Dec 29, 2012
<quoted text>
Some teachers from the Philippines are hired to teach in public High School here in SF. The school annual test results of students in the past two years when these teachers came in gave a positive results to the education teaching of that school

" At Jefferson Union High School District, teachers from the Philippines add a much-needed diversity to the teaching staff, since 28 members of the student body are Filipino, said Superintendent Mike Crilly."

“For us it was a blessing in disguise to be able to hire these teachers,” Crilly said.“We need to find some teachers that can model to the student body we have.”

Staff writer T.S. Mills-Faraudo covers education."
Lol

San Francisco, CA

#25 Dec 29, 2012
Best view wrote:
<quoted text>
Agree with you Kenny. Earlier this year I met a school mate of my wife and her English was pretty bad. During the conversation she said she was a teacher so innocently I asked what subjects she taught. I really had to bite my tongue to stop laughing when she said she taught English. Those kids have no chance.
Blame whoever hired her to teach English.
Lol

San Francisco, CA

#26 Dec 29, 2012
"Walsh, NCTQ president and a member of the Maryland State Board of Education, says it has become more common to hire overseas. "All poor districts have a harder time recruiting," she says. "Anytime you're teaching poor kids in the inner city, it's very hard to get teachers to stay."

Walsh says foreign teachers can enrich students' education by exposing them to other cultures. Eubanks agrees but says the USA must address the underlying shortage by training more teachers and improving schools.

Foreign teachers must pass state tests and meet federal requirements. Around the country:

• Prince George's County public schools in Maryland, with a teaching staff of 10,000, have 556 Filipino teachers and uncounted others from other countries.

• Los Angeles has 326 foreign teachers out of 33,529.

• Wichita public schools have 43 foreign teachers, all Filipino, out of 4,000."
heres kennyyyyyyyyyyy

Cavite, Philippines

#27 Dec 29, 2012
Lol wrote:
"Walsh, NCTQ president and a member of the Maryland State Board of Education, says it has become more common to hire overseas. "All poor districts have a harder time recruiting," she says. "Anytime you're teaching poor kids in the inner city, it's very hard to get teachers to stay."
Walsh says foreign teachers can enrich students' education by exposing them to other cultures. Eubanks agrees but says the USA must address the underlying shortage by training more teachers and improving schools.
Foreign teachers must pass state tests and meet federal requirements. Around the country:
• Prince George's County public schools in Maryland, with a teaching staff of 10,000, have 556 Filipino teachers and uncounted others from other countries.
• Los Angeles has 326 foreign teachers out of 33,529.
• Wichita public schools have 43 foreign teachers, all Filipino, out of 4,000."
it is possible that what you say is true -it would explain why there are no good teachers here -they all went to the USA lol.
Lol

San Francisco, CA

#28 Dec 29, 2012
<quoted text>
it is possible that what you say is true -it would explain why there are no good teachers here -they all went to the USA lol.
4 Filipino students reap top awards in int’l science ...
Four Filipino high school students made top rankings in an international student competition on the earth sciences this month,
globalnation.inquirer.net/14107 - Cached

It shows that these students learned from top caliber teachers.
Lol

San Francisco, CA

#29 Dec 29, 2012
Top caliber Filipino teachers produce top caliber students:

"More than 100 Filipino students snag awards in Australian ...
... 134 Filipino students have won awards in Australia's Big Science Competition, an international contest organized by Australian Science Innovations ...
betterphils.blogspot.com/2012/...filipino-stu... - Cached
4 Filipino students reap top awards in int’l science ...
Four Filipino high school students made top rankings in an international student competition on the ... of the Aquinas University Science High School won a ...
globalnation.inquirer.net/14107 - Cached
6 Filipino High Schoolers win international Science Fair
6 Filipino High Schoolers win international ... Filipino students who went on to win awards at the world’s largest pre-college science competition. The Intel International Science ...
www.filipinasoul.com/2007/05/6-filipino-high-... ...- Cached"
Lol

San Francisco, CA

#30 Dec 29, 2012
"Filipino students win 69 medals in int’l math contests ...
The students won six ... the first Filipino to receive the international Paul ... China Junior High School Math Olympiad, Filipino contestants who won silver ...
www.mb.com.ph/node/272336/filipino -- Cached
Pinoy students win 56 medals in science, math olympiad | ABS ...
... Filipino students representing the country bagged a total of 56 medals in the recently concluded 8th International Mathematics ... Filipino students who won ...
www.abs-cbnnews.com/.../07/11/pinoy-students.... - Cached
More results from abs-cbnnews.com »
Mathematics Trainers' Guild, Philippines
Filipino math wizards won 19 medals in 7th IMSO Date ... there were Six Filipino students won in the 7th International Mathematics and Science Olympiad ...
www.mtgphil.org/articles.php... - Cached
Filipino student scores perfect in 2012 Australian ...
... a mainstay of the Philippine math team, was one of only two students ... Filipino students who ... Mathematics Competition. In July 2011, he won the ...
globalnation.inquirer.net/49612/filipino-stud... ...- Cached"

The above will show that Filipino teachers are one of the best in the World. Of course, there are those who are below average, same as in other countries. Some are the best, the good and the never mind.
Lol

San Francisco, CA

#31 Dec 29, 2012
Filipino wins UK contest with fish mucus, fungus

By TJ Burgonio
Philippine Daily Inquirer
First Posted 04:31:00 06/02/2008

Filed Under: Good news, Awards and Prizes, Language, Research, Science (general)

MANILA, Philippines?While London was abuzz with the premiere of "Sex and the City" last month, a Filipino wowed Brits with a speech on fish mucus and foot fungus.

Gian Karlo Dapul, 16, won this year's International Public Speaking Competition conducted on May 9 by the English-Speaking Union (ESU) for his speech titled "Fish Mucus and Foot Fungus."

The incoming senior at the Philippine Science High School in Quezon City was one of the youngest contestants, yet he bested 57 speakers from more than 30 other countries, including the United States, England and Australia.

Dapul is the second Filipino to top the competition after then University of the Philippines student Patricia Evangelista won in 2004, proving anew that foreigners can speak English well. Evangelista now writes a column for the Inquirer newspaper, parent company of INQUIRER.net .

The competition is one of the ESU's most popular international programs. The ESU is an international charity founded in 1918 with the aim of fostering international understanding through the English language."

Since: Apr 09

Makati, Philippines

#32 Dec 29, 2012
Lol wrote:
<quoted text>
Some teachers from the Philippines are hired to teach in public High School here in SF. The school annual test results of students in the past two years when these teachers came in gave a positive results to the education teaching of that school
" At Jefferson Union High School District, teachers from the Philippines add a much-needed diversity to the teaching staff, since 28 members of the student body are Filipino, said Superintendent Mike Crilly."
“For us it was a blessing in disguise to be able to hire these teachers,” Crilly said.“We need to find some teachers that can model to the student body we have.”
Staff writer T.S. Mills-Faraudo covers education."
lol you know damn well Filipino's that come to the States with degrees are not accepted as full four year degrees. they have to complete months of U.S. college courses first.
amc

Quezon City, Philippines

#34 Dec 29, 2012
Don the American wrote:
<quoted text>
lol you know damn well Filipino's that come to the States with degrees are not accepted as full four year degrees. they have to complete months of U.S. college courses first.
besides the fact that were talking about San Fran., a wealthy hub of eccentrics bordering on insanity, there is no doubt that these flips demanded a tagalog speaking teacher and got it.

best thing about the place is the sea food dock if you can stand the yuppies.

Makati, Philippines

#35 Dec 29, 2012
amc wrote:
<quoted text>
you heard , you heard , you heard , its all hearsay that you heard and you heard that crispy pata has no fat? fantasy is what you heard.
LOLOL!!!!! When you see your VA doctor here that is one of the first warnings they give for your cholesterol. No crispy pata, no chicharon and no local fried foods.

Man I just know even where you are the amount of stoke victims there are. Same as here.
Lol

San Francisco, CA

#37 Dec 29, 2012
Don the American wrote:
<quoted text>
So what's your point?? You are talking different thing. Read the issue about teachers in PH are incompetent. My posting all those info about high school students getting awards in math, science, english in international competitions would verify that there are competent teachers and not all are incompetent.

I agree that the SOP when applying for a job in the nursing, medical etc profession, one needs to complete the required educational criteria of the US and needs to pass board exams required.
Lol

San Francisco, CA

#38 Dec 29, 2012
amc wrote:
<quoted text>
besides the fact that were talking about San Fran., a wealthy hub of eccentrics bordering on insanity, there is no doubt that these flips demanded a tagalog speaking teacher and got it.
best thing about the place is the sea food dock if you can stand the yuppies.
What a pity, AMC is mentally challenged and talks nonsense. Act normal and you will be all right. Your worse enemy is yourself talking like a weirdo. You have to love yourself first so you can love other people too... lollllllllllllllllllllllllllll llllll
amc

San Juan, Philippines

#39 Dec 29, 2012
Lol wrote:
<quoted text>
What a pity, AMC is mentally challenged and talks nonsense. Act normal and you will be all right. Your worse enemy is yourself talking like a weirdo. You have to love yourself first so you can love other people too... lollllllllllllllllllllllllllll llllll
you trying to explain san francisco to Americans is whats funny.

if any part of the US is mentally challenged all Americans would agree its san francisco.

all flips would find it to be heaven.
Lol

San Francisco, CA

#40 Dec 29, 2012
amc wrote:
<quoted text>
you trying to explain san francisco to Americans is whats funny.
if any part of the US is mentally challenged all Americans would agree its san francisco.
all flips would find it to be heaven.
Now, something is really wrong with you. You were the one talking about people in San Francisco ...re read your post as you started it not me. You're indeed a cranky old man. Try loving yourself first and believe me, you will be a happy person.
amc

San Juan, Philippines

#41 Dec 29, 2012
Lol wrote:
<quoted text>
Now, something is really wrong with you. You were the one talking about people in San Francisco ...re read your post as you started it not me. You're indeed a cranky old man. Try loving yourself first and believe me, you will be a happy person.
new years resolution:

never to reply to any of LOLs posts.

life is too short to converse with idiots.

Makati, Philippines

#42 Dec 29, 2012
amc wrote:
<quoted text>
new years resolution:
never to reply to any of LOLs posts.
life is too short to converse with idiots.
It's the same if you look into a vampires eyes!!!!!!!!LOLOL!!!! You will start believing your money goes 40 times farther here.

When I run into that one from the college educated I have to walk away.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hurricane Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Mormon Temple Spared During Houston Flood Apr 27 Ethyl 2
News Weather Forecast: Partly Sunny and Mild, Slight... Apr 26 Julie Jane 1
News Chicago is better poised to survive climate cha... Apr 22 Jazz Man 1
News Home sales climb 2% in October (Nov '12) Apr 20 tafawq 43
News Storm warner (Jul '11) Apr 19 Earthling-1 11
News Getting familiar with the new radar Apr 16 Jenny Ann 1
News Expect cold to continue after March madness, sa... Apr 11 Paul 1
More from around the web