N.J. officials at a loss for words to account for damage caused by Hurricane Sandy

Oct 31, 2012 Full story: The Jersey Journal 7

Calamitous. Incalculable. Unthinkable. New Jersey officials and residents have run out of words to describe the damage wrought by Hurricane Sandy, a behemoth of a storm that more than lived up to its hype.

Full Story
George

New York, NY

#1 Oct 31, 2012
Where can I get status on JCP&L's progress in Sayreville? Most of the town remains without power. We can't get gas anywhere and some elderly residents will have to endure temperatures in the 30's this weekend.
Unhappy Resident

Brooklyn, NY

#2 Nov 4, 2012
Finally Sayreville mayor lets us know the water is safe on Saturday 5 days after the storm. Finally on Saturday he lets us know the the substations were ruined in the storm and that it will take at least another 5 days before we have power. Had we known this on Tuesdau Wednesday or even Thursday, the residents could have planned better and not have to endure temperatures in the 30's. I have been on many storms in Florida. I've never seen such poor local government communication and response.
charley brown

Louisville, KY

#3 Nov 9, 2012
Unhappy Resident wrote:
Finally Sayreville mayor lets us know the water is safe on Saturday 5 days after the storm. Finally on Saturday he lets us know the the substations were ruined in the storm and that it will take at least another 5 days before we have power. Had we known this on Tuesdau Wednesday or even Thursday, the residents could have planned better and not have to endure temperatures in the 30's. I have been on many storms in Florida. I've never seen such poor local government communication and response.
Get Christie to call his good buddy, obama. obama promised that he would stand by the victims of Sandy and that he would cut through the red tape to make sure help got to where it is needed as soon as possible . Where is the help obama promised?
carpetbaggers

Bryn Mawr, PA

#4 Nov 9, 2012
Accouting for damage is hauntingly simple:

Old north eastern communities with old construction never retrofitted for hurricanes and severe storms. Included is houses that fell apart, broke off or floated away creating even more damaging debris.

High density permenant year round populations in what were ment to be seasonal communities. This stressed the infratstructure including roads, services, utilities etc. When old tourist communities go residential the infrastructure is added piece meal-that leads to the lack of planning.

The utilities and power companies in particular also suffered in these areas because they kept slowly but steadily adding on to existing networks and/or grids which put too many customers on the same runs of poles and cables. All utilities should be required in the future to feed their networks from different alternate directions so damage to one part of the network won't affect as many.

The powered utilities(includes phone, cable tv, power and traffic) in particular failed to do enough maintenance on their aireal runs including tree trimming, damaged/old pole replacements, rehang drooping/sagging cables. In many cases the runs of cable might have been too tight as well leaving no slack for movement.

Everyone assumed catastrophic flooding couldn't happen but with any construction you have to remember you are frequently building on natural flood plains and creating more water run off that cannot soak into the ground. These communities relied on history but even less than a century ago there was a fraction of the built up areas that there are now.

This is Monday morning quarterbacking but it is the leadership of these communities that are supposed to be thinking out and planning for worst case scnerios. For a city that suffered a terrorist attack NYC response was horrible. But officials should not be stunned, overwhelmed maybe but not stunned.
Star

Saint Marys, WV

#5 Nov 18, 2012
Please tell me how to locate a family member, l can not get a hold of her no wheres or find out any news on her. Her name is Kathy Kutay. l call her cell number and get no answers, please can someone out there help me?
OB Reader

Hazlet, NJ

#6 Nov 19, 2012
Star wrote:
Please tell me how to locate a family member, l can not get a hold of her no wheres or find out any news on her. Her name is Kathy Kutay. l call her cell number and get no answers, please can someone out there help me?
What street and town did she live in? If you post this, a reader who lives in the area might be able to help.

Also, try contacting the police or administration in the town she lives in. Most town governments are back on their feet now and should be able to help.

Good luck finding your relative. I hope she is OK.

Riverside, NJ

#7 Nov 22, 2012
I remember when the only houses at the shore were small one-family bungalows. Why did the townships allow these to be knocked down to build three-story multi housing condos? I bet it was to raise tax revenues.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hurricane Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Tropical storm warning issued for North Carolina 10 hr Kim Jong Un 5
There's a blizzard warning in effect for ... Ha... 15 hr IBdaMann 1
D.C. has passed sea level rise 'tipping point,'... Wed Native Landlord 7
Top 2014 weather story goes to Canada's long co... Tue week no hydro 1
Activists try to rile up Chris Christie, pile u... Dec 23 Billy Ringo 18
Don't expect a white Christmas Dec 23 will rain freeze ... 1
Cold and over-exertion can contribute to winter... Dec 23 brrr 1
More from around the web