Hurricane Sandy: Live from Mystic Island

Hurricane Sandy: Live from Mystic Island

There are 250 comments on the NJ.com story from Oct 28, 2012, titled Hurricane Sandy: Live from Mystic Island. In it, NJ.com reports that:

Hello all, welcome from Mystic Island. For those who have never heard of Mystic Island - I'm guessing that's about 95 percent of New Jersey - it's a community at the southernmost edge of Ocean County, part of Little Egg Harbor Township and next to Tuckerton.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NJ.com.

lois

Philadelphia, PA

#164 Oct 31, 2012
3-4 feet in one story homes on lake superior drive. Also my boat 23ft glastron is gone it floated away near dock street
Irene

Conshohocken, PA

#165 Oct 31, 2012
A friend was able to go to my house today on W. Boat so they took some photos, my house is trashed 4-5' feet of water, everything was destroyed. I do believe the house is now a teardown and I will not rebuild. The esculating cost for taxes and insurance was bad enough but this flood is more than I can handle, much too expensive to rebuild.
Luckily this was a vacation home but my heart goes out to all those who live there year round and do not have anywhere else to go.
Themaker75

South Plainfield, NJ

#166 Oct 31, 2012
W navasink off twin lakes had 4ft water. I think this is going to be really bad for Mystic. I think alot of people will be unable to rebuild. There's going to be lots of empty lots and trashed homes. We only had 130k FEMA insurance. For a tear down that's cutting it close considering our regular insurance won't cover any household items destroyed in the flood.
Anyone who didn't get to go, If ur south of Calabreeze assume ure house had Atleast 2 feet of water in it

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#167 Oct 31, 2012
Kristen wrote:
<quoted text>
My Mom is on Columbia as well.#13. Any information? If you want to call me I will send you my number. What number is your Mom?
Mom's house is 17. Neighbors house did not split in half, bad info. I will be down Saturday. You can send me your #. I will send you pictures if you can receive them.
Jim

Bozeman, MT

#168 Oct 31, 2012
We appreciate all of the comments here. Were heading there from Montana tomorrow.
losing it

Willcox, AZ

#170 Oct 31, 2012
God Bless you all. My prayers go out to everyone afflicted by Hurricane Sandy.
georga

Brooklyn, NY

#171 Nov 1, 2012
does anyone have info/pics of tavistock

Location hidden

#172 Nov 1, 2012
Kristen wrote:
<quoted text>
My Mom is on Columbia as well.#13. Any information? If you want to call me I will send you my number. What number is your Mom?
My mother is Pat 2 doors down from your Mom. She bought your Mom's boat a few years back. I will ask her to get info from Ken and Dave (Dave is directly next door towards the creek to your mom) today regarding your Mom's place. I can also send you pics on Saturday if you wish. you can call or text me at 215-237-five five six seven.
Iowa Ct

Chicago, IL

#173 Nov 1, 2012
My parents have a house on Iowa Ct on Osbourne Island and the house is a total loss. The whole first floor was crushed in by the storm surge. The police let some residents take a look at the damage but no one is allowed to enter their homes until the inspector checks each house to ensure it is safe. I think a lot of these houses will have to be razed.
Jill-

Norristown, PA

#174 Nov 1, 2012
Mystic Island is a mess. Inspectors walked around yesterday and "tagged" many houses unsafe to occupy at this time. Ohio Drive was hit horribly. Our neighbors have losses too numerous to count. Please keep Ohio Drive residents as well as ther Mystic/Osborn Island residents in your thoughts at this time. It was very hard and sad to see all he devastation when we arrived yesterday.
Maria

Curtis Bay, MD

#175 Nov 1, 2012
Fastphil wrote:
Any word of eletric on hunter dr off great bay blvd. Making the trip tomorrow from long island
My dad went this morning and there was electricity. Luckily we did not have water in our house. However, I know most of the houses on Hunter Court/Hunter Drive did have water damage (we are located on Hunter Court). There is a lot of outside damage, so be prepared. Our entire heating/air conditioning unit was ripped up. Good luck with everything. I'm sending positive vibes your way!
Patti

Du Bois, PA

#177 Nov 1, 2012
I'm coming down tomorrow. Besides bleach and drinking water, is there anything else that is of short supply. I'll try to get as much donated as I can and bring it all down with me.

Location hidden

#179 Nov 1, 2012
Kristen wrote:
<quoted text>
I just talked to Dan one of the neighbors there. He said he saw your Mom there today. She had a hard hit with water damage. He said pretty much everything inside is a loss. He did no know about the dock.
friar85

Cherry Hill, NJ

#180 Nov 1, 2012
Cait wrote:
I too would love any info available. We have a house on Osborn Island and I'm afraid but anxious to find out how it weathered the storm.
Where? I am there and am OK because we are up a story on pilings. Otherwise would have had 3 - 4 feet of water on first floor.

Debris everywhere.
Toni

Indianapolis, IN

#181 Nov 1, 2012
Karen wrote:
<quoted text>TTUCKERTON Beach is bad. Tried to go today, can't get down Green St due to many gas leaks.. was told some homes are gone & in the lagoons. Was told to check police & town website for info.
. Thanks, Karen
Jamie G

Frederick, MD

#182 Nov 1, 2012
Karen wrote:
<quoted text>TTUCKERTON Beach is bad. Tried to go today, can't get down Green St due to many gas leaks.. was told some homes are gone & in the lagoons. Was told to check police & town website for info.
Tuckerton Beach is still bloacked off at the police station. They're still trying to evacuate people and I understand they're going around trying to shut off gas at the houses. My parents live fulltime on Green Street and are being told that they may be able to get down there tomorrow, but no guarantee. My dad heard there were close to 27 houses missing down in the Tuckerton Beach area :( This is extremely sad. Tuckerton Beach, as well as Mystic Island took a very hard blow during this storm. I will post back on the site as soon as I hear from my parents. I asked them to call me when they can get back to their house so I can travel up from MD to help. For those asking about Dock Road, my uncle's sailboat that was stored on Dock Road ended up over in Beach Haven West a block over from his old home. I imagine Dock Road saw a good amount of surge for that to have happened. My mom was going to try to drive down Dock Road on her way to work this morning.

Norristown, PA

#183 Nov 1, 2012
Patti wrote:
I'm coming down tomorrow. Besides bleach and drinking water, is there anything else that is of short supply. I'll try to get as much donated as I can and bring it all down with me.
I was down yesterday... we did have running water.
Sean

Bristol, CT

#184 Nov 1, 2012
Jill- wrote:
<quoted text> I was down yesterday... we did have running water.
Does it have to be boiled?
Rose

Brooklyn, NY

#185 Nov 1, 2012
Patti wrote:
Rose,
Thank you so much! Any information is a blessing. My sister is headed down now to take pictures and assess the damage.
Best wishes to all that are going through this!
You are so welcome! Praying for all on Mystic Islands and everyone affected by the storms.
Rose

Brooklyn, NY

#186 Nov 1, 2012
My husband went down to our house on W. Mullica and we were extremely lucky. We sit on a little hill and got less than 2 inches of water in the house and just lost rugs. Our neighbors got between 4-12 inches. Our lower dock lost only one board and our neighbors floating dock was on top of it. Our upper dock was untouched. Our neighbor stayed during the storm and he said at high tide, we had a little island around our 2 houses because we are on higher ground than most. We have power, water and heat. I hope this gives some owners hope that some of the homes in Mystic were saved such as ours. I was reading all the posts and was convinced we had 1-2 feet in our house and was really surprised. My heart is broken for all of our neighbors and friends who lost their homes and our prayers go out to all of you. May God bless all of you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hurricane Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bill Clinton visits Puerto Rico, distributes re... Mon Solarman 1
News Despite Health Risks and Exploitation, Undocume... Nov 18 freebird 3
News White House plans to seek another $45 billion i... Nov 17 VP Mullah Elect P... 1
News More 'biblical" rain coming to Texas? A leading... Nov 16 L Craig s Hush Pu... 10
News Young DACA Recipients In Houston Take On Hurric... Nov 14 spud 2
News In Florida, all eyes on Puerto Rican voters aft... Nov 13 OneWomynRiot 4
News Pittsburgh's Microgrids Technology Could Lead T... Nov 13 Solarman 1
More from around the web