Cassandras of Climate

Sep 28, 2009 Full story: www.nytimes.com 492
The larger reason we’re ignoring climate change is that Al Gore was right: This truth is just too inconvenient. Responding to climate change with the vigor that the threat deserves would not, contrary to legend, be devastating for the economy as a whole. But it would shuffle the economic deck, hurting some powerful vested interests even as it created new economic opportunities. And the industries of the past have armies of lobbyists in place right now; the industries of the future don’t. Full Story
First Prev
of 25
Next Last
Real Woman

Glendale, AZ

#1 Sep 28, 2009
I wish that I believed that we were ignoring climate change but we are not. The "cap and Trade" tax our economy cannot afford. No mention there is no proof that there is global warming or cooling other that what is normal. Al Gore is disappointed because we the American taxpayers are not lining his pockets with green cash fast.
Lance Winslow

United States

#2 Sep 28, 2009
There are huge financial gains to be realized by making energy utilization more efficient. This will be the motivator.

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#3 Sep 28, 2009
Disagree with this article.

The reason climate change is being ignored by many is because the effects of climate change are felt in hundreds of years......anything we notice in our lifetime is natural variation in weather patterns.

So science cannot "prove" climate change until much later in time, and all of the evidence of "glacial melts" in one polar region is offset by "glacial growth" in other regions.

Bottom line = Al Gore makes a lot of money off of climate change, which hurts his cause.
If he just wanted to "right a human wrong", he would not put himself in a financial position to make a killing if we all buy into climate change.

Right now he seems like every other slick huckster convincing fools of one thing or another, in a shameless effort to take their money.

There is no climate change attributable to human activity. There is climate change, always was. The climate changed before humans populated the earth, the climate will change while we are here.

See a pattern? If you do it's because you want to see a pattern.

Random climate noise is all that can be seen. Ask a geologist.

Al Gore need to give the Nobel Prize back. He made a move, financially inspired.
That is not worthy of a Nobel Prize.
Oscar maybe - right alongside Michael Moore.
frank

Claremont, MN

#4 Sep 28, 2009
global warming is real. now did man cause it and can we do much about it. no. teh world does go thru cycles and the ice caps are melting taht is fact. did man speed up this cycle yes i believe so. can we do anything now. no not much. the cycle is going now. should we be good caretakers of thsi world very big yes should we invest in clean energy very big yes.should we stop as much polution as we can very big yes.
dos

United States

#5 Sep 28, 2009
and now the presidential carbon footprint increases AGAIN as Obama, Oprah, Michelle, Valerie Jarrett, Arne Duncan ALL FLY TO COPENHAGEN for ONE DAY to push the Olympics that will cause MORE carbon footprints when EVERY country sends athletes to the Olympics in 2016.

IT's A JOKE!!!!

“Truth to Power!”

Since: Apr 07

United States

#6 Sep 28, 2009
Saturday, April 25, 2009
Al Gore lies about profit from global warming

Rep. Blackburn quizzed Al Gore about his profit motive for promoting global warming. He claims, "Every penny I have made, I have put into a nonprofit.

" Also, Al Gore said, "If you believe the reason I have been working on this issue for 30 years is greed, you don't know me."

Al Gore has donated the proceeds from the movie and book to a nonprofit, but he has definitely gotten rich off the global warming scam.

He has been charging $175,000 for the same canned global warming speech for years and he has extensive investments in companies benefiting from global warming legislation.

When Al Gore left office in 2000, he had a net worth of only about two million dollars. He is now estimated to be worth $100 million. Since he has been focused almost exclusively on global warming for the last eight years, it is disingenuous to claim he donated "every penny" to nonprofits.

From Bloomberg.com ,

Former U.S. Vice President Al Gore left the White House seven years ago with less than $2 million in assets, including a Virginia home and the family farm in Tennessee. Now he's making enough to put $35 million in hedge funds and other private partnerships.

Gore invested the money with Capricorn Investment Group LLC, a Palo Alto, California, firm that selects the private funds for clients and invests in makers of environmentally friendly products, according to a Feb. 1 securities filing. Capricorn was founded by billionaire Jeffrey Skoll, former president of EBay Inc. and an executive producer of Gore's Oscar-winning documentary film on global warming.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news...

Why have temperature been on the decline in last 10 years? Sun Cycle.

“Truth to Power!”

Since: Apr 07

United States

#7 Sep 28, 2009
There IS a problem with global warming... it stopped in 1998


By Bob Carter
Published: 12:01AM BST 09 Apr 2006

For many years now, human-caused climate change has been viewed as a large and urgent problem. In truth, however, the biggest part of the problem is neither environmental nor scientific, but a self-created political fiasco.

Consider the simple fact, drawn from the official temperature records of the Climate Research Unit at the University of East Anglia, that for the years 1998-2005 global average temperature did not increase (there was actually a slight decrease, though not at a rate that differs significantly from zero).

Yes, you did read that right. And also, yes, this eight-year period of temperature stasis did coincide with society's continued power station and SUV-inspired pumping of yet more carbon dioxide into the atmosphere.

In response to these facts, a global warming devotee will chuckle and say "how silly to judge climate change over such a short period". Yet in the next breath, the same person will assure you that the 28-year-long period of warming which occurred between 1970 and 1998 constitutes a dangerous (and man-made) warming. Tosh.

Our devotee will also pass by the curious additional facts that a period of similar warming occurred between 1918 and 1940, well prior to the greatest phase of world industrialisation, and that cooling occurred between 1940 and 1965, at precisely the time that human emissions were increasing at their greatest rate.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/personal-v...
TedsLiver

United States

#9 Sep 28, 2009
Global Warming is waste of time. Invented by Al Gore unlike the Internet.
Church Slave

Seattle, WA

#10 Sep 28, 2009
These climate nuts are nothing but communists coming in through the back door disguised as environmentalists.'

The bizarre thing is they are trying to fight global warming when all science says we are undergoing global cooling.
They had a 50% chance of getting it right and they missed coin toss.

Liberalism is a mental illness. Truth and reality don't stand a chance in the mind of a liberal. It is all about feelings and nothing to do with truth.

“"I'm A Great American!"”

Since: Sep 08

Obama Nation! USA! USA!

#11 Sep 28, 2009
Church Slave wrote:
These climate nuts are nothing but communists coming in through the back door disguised as environmentalists.'
The bizarre thing is they are trying to fight global warming when all science says we are undergoing global cooling.
They had a 50% chance of getting it right and they missed coin toss.
Liberalism is a mental illness. Truth and reality don't stand a chance in the mind of a liberal. It is all about feelings and nothing to do with truth.
ALL science says we're undergoing global cooling???

Right there your argument is discredited. Disagree, if you must, that global warming is an important priority the world needs to address. But most science is not as dismissive as your favorite far right wing talk radio hosts.

Maybe all science on Fox News, but global warming is an issue here in the real world...
davy

Albuquerque, NM

#12 Sep 28, 2009
can you even define global warming? Do you have the slightest idea what global warming is about? you sound crazy
Church Slave wrote:
These climate nuts are nothing but communists coming in through the back door disguised as environmentalists.'
The bizarre thing is they are trying to fight global warming when all science says we are undergoing global cooling.
They had a 50% chance of getting it right and they missed coin toss.
Liberalism is a mental illness. Truth and reality don't stand a chance in the mind of a liberal. It is all about feelings and nothing to do with truth.
Lisa

Van Nuys, CA

#13 Sep 28, 2009
Church Slave wrote:
These climate nuts are nothing but communists coming in through the back door disguised as environmentalists.'
The bizarre thing is they are trying to fight global warming when all science says we are undergoing global cooling.
They had a 50% chance of getting it right and they missed coin toss.
Liberalism is a mental illness. Truth and reality don't stand a chance in the mind of a liberal. It is all about feelings and nothing to do with truth.
I agree. They do pretend to be concerned about the environment, anything to raise taxes.
Lisa

Van Nuys, CA

#14 Sep 28, 2009
davy wrote:
can you even define global warming? Do you have the slightest idea what global warming is about? you sound crazy<quoted text>
Can't you? You sound rigid and you have that little Gestapo twinge in your writing...
poopoodummyratz

Baldwin, WI

#16 Sep 28, 2009
''scientific models'' tell the story that is fed into it... and is subject to agenda driven theory...
sue

United States

#17 Sep 28, 2009
The entire global warming and green campain is just to train us to live like third world people. I am not giving up anything nor am I going to scarifice anything. My house will be about 74 degrees, I am not using those light bulbs that you cant see anything with. And I will continue to drive a very large car that doesnt have to be plugged in. I work for my money and will spend it the way I want.
dos

United States

#18 Sep 28, 2009
Real Woman wrote:
I wish that I believed that we were ignoring climate change but we are not. The "cap and Trade" tax our economy cannot afford. No mention there is no proof that there is global warming or cooling other that what is normal. Al Gore is disappointed because we the American taxpayers are not lining his pockets with green cash fast.
Global warming=another reason to vote out demoncrats
Ken in California

Ramona, CA

#20 Sep 28, 2009
Al Gore...isn't he the guy who arrived in a private jet to give a speech, took 2 limos to the venue, and one was told to keep the motor running during the speech so the air conditionning would be full blast..what fakes the libs are!

“RUN, FACISM IS COMMING!!!”

Since: Jul 08

SUBURBIA

#21 Sep 28, 2009
sue wrote:
The entire global warming and green campain is just to train us to live like third world people. I am not giving up anything nor am I going to scarifice anything. My house will be about 74 degrees, I am not using those light bulbs that you cant see anything with. And I will continue to drive a very large car that doesnt have to be plugged in. I work for my money and will spend it the way I want.
...by taking away future resources and air from your own people and offspring!

such arrogance and stupidity! humanity deserves what befalls it

“Snooze you lose”

Since: Mar 07

Sunnyvale, CA

#22 Sep 28, 2009
Some of you really think we're in global cooling?
For the first time in recorded history the last couple years it was clear sailing in the Northeast Passage. Good news if you're shipping something from Korea to Rotterdam. Not so good news if you're living in at sea level.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Sea_Rou...
sue

United States

#23 Sep 28, 2009
Alan Cozzi wrote:
<quoted text>
...by taking away future resources and air from your own people and offspring!
such arrogance and stupidity! humanity deserves what befalls it
LOL Whats trying to be taken away is our standard of living. Americans work hard for their standard of living. To live like someone in a third world country over some theory that has not been totally proven is not sane. Conservation and being energy efficient has been going on since the seventies. I dont think anyone is wastefull but give it a break.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 25
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Heat Wave Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
a Dangerously hot weathera in Southland shows n... Sep 15 Jack D 4
Heat wave hits San Diego this weekend Sep 12 Claudia 1
Labor Day 2050: Global Warming And The Coming C... Sep 1 SpaceBlues 1
July 2014 Was One Of Missouri's Coolest On Record Aug '14 not a liberal idiot 2
Real-estate sales on the upswing in Ontario's c... Aug '14 Kijiji vacation r... 2
Farmersville celebrates Audie Murphy Day (Jun '10) Aug '14 Jim Nabors 30
Weather History: July 21: Record temps, tropics... Jul '14 lmao 1

Heat Wave People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE