Fraudulent Claims from Hailstorm on the Rise in El Paso

Dec 9, 2009 Full story: Insurance Journal West 10

That fraudulent insurance claims related to a severe hailstorm that hit the city of El Paso, Texas, on Sept.

Full Story
24 Charlie

El Paso, TX

#1 Dec 10, 2009
Our neighborhood is very new, our house one of the first finished in our area and it is four years old. Everywhere there are new roofs going in. The house behind us is not even 3 years old and had a new roof put on last week. Signs at almost every other house in some parts advertising which roofer they are using. Roofers calling us and leaving flyers regularly. C'mon, folks, it was a hail storm, not a meteor shower! You can smell this scam a mile away! I hope there is a full investigation and either people fry for bogus claims, or else builders fry for faulty workmanship and materials. Either way, houses don't need new roofs this frequently!
David

Mendon, MA

#2 Mar 3, 2010
No, roofs are meant to last unless they are damaged. The hail storm that hit your house voided the warranty from the manufacturer. If you choose to replace your roof in five to seven years then don't worry about it. If someone wants to have theirs replaced by the insurance that they pay for, more power to them. Give us an update in five years.
Bob

Willow Grove, PA

#3 Mar 5, 2010
Dave is right! Your roof will blister and fall apart from granule damage.
Larry

United States

#4 Mar 15, 2010
Bob wrote:
Dave is right! Your roof will blister and fall apart from granule damage.
Agree.
It is the damage you do not see, with an untrained eye, that most roofers and roofing companies, can see and have been trained to look for. Hail damage is not a scam nor are they trying to scam you, but if we all listen to our insurance provider they will make us believe our roof is "ok" and do not need a new roof thus saving them money.
Michelle

Luther, OK

#5 Apr 13, 2010
And when it's time to sell your home down the road and the buyer's insurance company will not insure the roof because of prior hail damage----you'll wish you had joined the swarms of neighbors around you who are having new roofs put on now. This is the best time to have it done, the insurance companies have a harder time denying you because of roofs being totaled all around you. When all is calm around you, the insurance companies will swear up and down that you just need a little repair, though another may render it totaled. I have heard so many stories about homeowners begging their insurance companies to pay out on a damaged roof but getting no-where!!!!! Yes, the roofers have come in but consider using local, established, reputable companies who have not been bought out by fly-by-nights.
Bryan

El Paso, TX

#6 Apr 14, 2010
According to Texas law you have up to two years to file a claim for hail or wind damage...It is important to file your claim within that time frame!!! Your insurance company CAN consider you uninsurable if you have damage to your homes roof that has not been addressed...either from a claim they have already paid on or from neglect from the home owner...In most cases El Paso area homes require that you have a city permit to roof your home...this means that the contractor you choose has to obtain this permit...to obtain a permit the contractor has to be insured, licensed and bonded...the bond amount is 10,000 dollars...should your contractor not pay their bills and a abc or other suppliers decide they want to place a lien on your home that bond is in place to help you the customer not the contractor!!! Replacing your roof is not a scam due to hail...it is considered an act of God...you can not move your home out of the way of a storm and therefore your insurance rates do not go up individually they go up per zip code...what this means is the whole area goes up depending on the amounts paid by insurance companies...so whether you have a new roof put on or not you will pay more due to the storm eventually...in most cases it is minimal and you wont really notice the difference...this information is my twelve years of experience in roofing and hail storm damage repair...don't let people talk you out of putting a roof or repairing any other damage on your home because they think they know...they usually don't...call a contractor or even a public adjuster if you feel you are being treated unfairly by your insurance company...You don't want to be in the roofing business...let the roofers deal with it!!!
Allegiance home imp

Cumming, GA

#7 Apr 25, 2010
24 Charlie wrote:
Our neighborhood is very new, our house one of the first finished in our area and it is four years old. Everywhere there are new roofs going in. The house behind us is not even 3 years old and had a new roof put on last week. Signs at almost every other house in some parts advertising which roofer they are using. Roofers calling us and leaving flyers regularly. C'mon, folks, it was a hail storm, not a meteor shower! You can smell this scam a mile away! I hope there is a full investigation and either people fry for bogus claims, or else builders fry for faulty workmanship and materials. Either way, houses don't need new roofs this frequently!
make sure u call a good contractor when your roof starts leaking . you will be the one left wondering why you questioned all your neighbors and thier insurance companys integerty
Puppetmaster

AOL

#8 Apr 25, 2010
I had damage to my roof from the El Paso hailstorm and don't even live in El Paso. I am surprised the storm was not blamed on Mexico.
john-3

San Antonio, TX

#9 May 1, 2010
yes david im a roofer since 1994 and everybody's right, you can,t see hail damage from the ground.
need to call somebody to inspect your house
J Robles

United States

#10 Jun 14, 2012
I desided not to change my roof when the windstorm hit now, years later my roof is cracked and shingles are falling and water is leaking through. Farmers Ins. refuses to change my roof they said that the damage to the roof is not windstorm related. I feel like such a fool. everyone in the neighborhood changed their roof except me.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hailstorm Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Video of supercell over Wyoming on May 18 Oct 1 Newcastle 1
Severe thunderstorm warning ended for western M... Sep '14 Free-Ductible 2
Severe Thunderstorm Watch in effect Aug '14 streetlites on du... 1
Severe Thunderstorm Watch in effect Aug '14 meter of rain in ... 1
Hail 'size of golf balls' pounds Airdrie, damag... Aug '14 Earthquake rumble... 1
Storms pound southern Ontario with rain, hail a... Aug '14 Halton south floo... 1
Halton under severe thunderstorm watch for Frid... Aug '14 For more information 2

Hailstorm People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE