Free software that lets anyone check ...

Free software that lets anyone check NASA/Hansen global-temperature calculations

Posted in the Global Warming Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Climate scientist wannabe

San Diego, CA

#2 Feb 10, 2013
Oops -- the tags didn't work -- oh, well...
PHD

Cibolo, TX

#3 Feb 10, 2013
Note the word free. Must be the great job NASA is doing to receive things free.
Climate Scientist wannabe

San Diego, CA

#4 Feb 11, 2013
PHD wrote:
FYI, NASA didn't write the code -- I did.

Download and try it; it's easy to install and use. Let's see what you can do with it. Make a screenshot of your results, upload the image to imageshack.com and post a link to it here.

San Diego, CA

#5 Feb 11, 2013
Following up with a convenient link (the original post seems to have disappeared)

(dot and slash chars replaced with fully-spelled-out words so as to keep this message from being marked as spam)

tinyurl dot com slash NASA-HANSEN

San Diego, CA

#6 Feb 11, 2013
PHD wrote:
(Reposting without live links so as to keep this from being marked as spam)

FYI, NASA didn't write the software -- I did. I put a fair bit of effort into making it reasonably easy to use.

Download link (spelled out to avoid setting off the spam filter): tinyurl dot com slash NASA-HANSEN

Download and try it; it's easy to install and use. Let's see what you can do with it. Make a screenshot of your results, upload the image to imageshack dot com and post a link to it here.

San Diego, CA

#7 Feb 11, 2013
PHD wrote:
Final note: spell out the link to the screenshot of your results so that your reply isn't mistaken for spam.
PHD

Cibolo, TX

#8 Feb 12, 2013
Climate Scientist wannabe wrote:
<quoted text>
Final note: spell out the link to the screenshot of your results so that your reply isn't mistaken for spam.
Thanks, will try later busy day today.

San Diego, CA

#9 Feb 12, 2013
<quoted text>
Just following up with a bit more info....

In my experimentation with the global temperature data that NASA and NOAA use, I have found that you can get something like 99 percent of the answer with 1 percent of the effort.

My approach to computing global-average temperatures really is quite "dumbed down". I stripped the NOAA algorithm to its barest essentials (basically left out the "hard parts"). Just coded up the "easy parts". What I was left with was a basic averaging procedure without any interpolation or data adjustment steps.

To compare the output of my basic algorithm with NASA's results, go to the bottom of the control panel (below the "Batch Plot" label) and press "Submit".

A plot will appear that shows the official NASA results (red) and my own "dumbed down average" results from raw and adjusted data in green and blue, respectively.

You will see only minor differences between the three temperature curves.(Resize the plot window and hit "Submit" again to zoom a bit more).

Note that my raw data results match the NASA results even more closely than my adjusted data results do.(Remember that I make zero adjustments to the data I process). This is a strong indication that the NASA results do not rely on data adjustments.

You can look at urban-only or rural-only results by pressing the "Plot All" button until it reads "Plot All Urban" or "Plot All Rural", etc. and then pressing "Submit".

San Diego, CA

#10 Feb 12, 2013
Just a wee bit more info.

NASA and NOAA compute independent global-average temperatures with their own independent algorithms that they have developed "in house".

I based my own work on a stripped-down version of the NOAA algorithm because the NOAA algorithm is simpler (and easier to code up) than NASA's.

I used NASA results as a comparison against my own results because (1) NASA posts "land station only" results in addition to "land + ocean" results whereas NOAA posts just "land + ocean" results.

My results (from land stations only, no ocean data) are best compared with the NASA "land station only" results.

Also, it's good to compare results generated by very different algorithms -- if the two different algorithms generate very similar results (as they do here), that's a good indication that the results are real and robust (i.e. not an artifact of a particular processing algorithm).

Once again, the link is: tinyurl dot com slash NASA-HANSEN
PHD

Cibolo, TX

#11 Feb 12, 2013
Thanks again. Should have some time this evening when the misfits responding with their scientific science fiction take a long nap. Hard to ignore the free entertainment.

San Diego, CA

#12 Feb 12, 2013
I'd like to encourage all visitors/lurkers here to try out the package. Once again, it's available at tinyurl dot com slash NASA-HANSEN (URL spelled out to keep this post being classified as spaam).

Unfortunately, it's a bit download (about 1GB), so don't bother with it if you have lousy access (dialup or a very slow wireless connection).

You will also want to have at least 2GB memory on your machine to run the app comfortably.

But if you have a decent internet connection and enough memory on your machine, the app should be slam-dunk easy to install and run.

Feel free to download it, install it per the instructions provided, and play around with it.

It cannot harm your computer in any way; it runs in its own "sandboxed" virtual session and will not touch any files on your hard-drive. Give it a go-over with your antivirus software if you feel uneasy about it.

San Diego, CA

#13 Feb 12, 2013
oops -- typo.

I meant to say "Unfortunately, it's a *big* download..."
SpaceBlues

United States

#14 Feb 12, 2013
Interesting, wannabe.

Here meet a climate scientist: Emily Shuckburgh

http://www.antarctica.ac.uk/staff-profiles/we...
PHD

Cibolo, TX

#15 Feb 13, 2013
SpaceBlues wrote:
Interesting, wannabe.
Here meet a climate scientist: Emily Shuckburgh
http://www.antarctica.ac.uk/staff-profiles/we...
There you have it folks the spaced out spacedoutblues got its crystal ball out and made another prediction.
SpaceBlues

United States

#16 Feb 13, 2013
<quoted text>
FYI, NASA didn't write the code -- I did.
Download and try it; it's easy to install and use. Let's see what you can do with it. Make a screenshot of your results, upload the image to imageshack.com and post a link to it here.
Thanks for posting about it here.
PHD

Cibolo, TX

#17 Feb 13, 2013
""WOW" that would be a frist for the spaced out spacedoutblues. It use the word thanks.
climate scientist wannabe

San Diego, CA

#18 Feb 14, 2013
Dr. Eric Steig, director of the Quaternary Research Center at the University of Washington just gave this app ( tinyurl.com com/NASA-HANSEN) a nice thumbs-up: http://www.realclimate.org/...

San Diego, CA

#19 Feb 14, 2013
The link to the app is: tinyurl.com/NASA-HANSEN
PHD

Cibolo, TX

#20 Feb 15, 2013
climate scientist wannabe wrote:
The link to the app is: tinyurl.com/NASA-HANSEN
Thanks again at this time the app has an issue. Will try later.

San Diego, CA

#21 Feb 15, 2013
For those who are trying to download tinyurl.com/NASA-HANSEN , you will want a reasonably fast connection. The app is about 1GB in size (only a tiny fraction of which is the actual global temperature program). Most of it is the virtual-machine that automatically boots up and runs the app.

If you have unix-type skills -- i.e. know how to install/run cygwin (for Windows), XCode (for Macs), g++, gnuplot, know how to configure networked apps (IP addresses, server ports) etc., you can download the app sans virtual-machine overhead here: http://tinyurl.com/NASA-HANSEN2

If you don't want to bother with all of that stuff, then just wait for the virtual-machine file to download.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Global Warming Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 46 min Earthling-1 58,899
OBSERVATION in Science 48 min Earthling-1 404
News Paris climate deal on track for early start 1 hr Le Jimbo 340
Global Warming Standup Comedy (Apr '07) 1 hr Earthling-1 4,498
News After 10 Years, 'An Inconvenient Truth' Is Stil... 1 hr Earthling-1 5
Global Cooling (Apr '15) 2 hr Earthling-1 1,386
El Nino Watch 2 hr Earthling-1 174
More from around the web