Nuclear energy causes global warming

Nuclear energy causes global warming

There are 120 comments on the Tehran Times story from Jul 24, 2010, titled Nuclear energy causes global warming. In it, Tehran Times reports that:

We need energy to heat our homes and provide electricity for our appliances. Most commonly in our world, coal, oil, natural gas, and radioactive materials, especially the heavy metal, Uranium, supply our energy.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Tehran Times.

LessHypeMoreFact

Toronto, Canada

#81 Aug 4, 2010
neighbour wrote:
I wondered how long it would take you to check that :)
The guy who writes dictionaries is a lexicographer, and no I didn't have to look that up. Nor do I have to look up the following (Ogden Nash, I think) this is how I remember it anyway:
To me, the naked and the nude,
By lexicographers construed to mean the same,
Lie far apart as lies from love,
And truth from art.
Granted. My bad. I'm a bit under the weather lately.
Earthling

Pinoso, Spain

#82 Aug 4, 2010
neighbour wrote:
I wondered how long it would take you to check that :)
I gave myself a slap on the wrist for not noticing it sooner.:D
neighbour wrote:
The guy who writes dictionaries is a lexicographer, and no I didn't have to look that up. Nor do I have to look up the following (Ogden Nash, I think) this is how I remember it anyway:
To me, the naked and the nude,
By lexicographers construed to mean the same,
Lie far apart as lies from love,
And truth from art.
I'm left wondering what other howlers our friend from Toronto has up his sleeve to amuse me.
-
He had the audacity to write this in the 'Ice Free Ocean' thread:
LessFactMorHype wrote:
And the overwhelming evidence that I have seen shows that poor eduction is primariliy in the UK and US, where there are two 'classes' of school. A destitute 'state' school system stumbling along with limited funds, and wealthy 'private' schools for the aristocracy ( or moneyed elite if you will).
Hmmm, seems like he has a problem with wealthy folk.
LessFactMoreHype wrote:
Canada, on the other hand, has upheld fairly strong and uniform education standards.
It would appear that he didn't take full advantage of the wonderful Canadian education system.
Earthling

Pinoso, Spain

#83 Aug 4, 2010
LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
Granted. My bad. I'm a bit under the weather lately.
Is the heat of global warming getting to you?
It certainly seems like it, because anyone in their right mind would have accepted their error by now and at least admitted that they learned to spell forty incorrectly.
-
In Old English four, fourteen and forty all came from the same root - feower (meaning four). When you add the equivalent of "ty" to this (which would have been "tig" in old English, meaning "group of ten") that slightly changes the way the preceding vowel is pronounced. Quite early in the development of modern English (and long before the Pilgrim Fathers set sail) this had been reflected in the spelling "forty". The same explanation applies to why "fifty" isn't "fivety".
Stew54
LessHypeMoreFact

Toronto, Canada

#84 Aug 5, 2010
Earthling wrote:
<quoted text>
Is the heat of global warming getting to you?
Well, they heat certainly is getting to me but it has more to do with a stationary high in Bermuda. Fourty degree humidex weather is life threatening and my bike rides are getting shorter as I need a cold shower to cool down after even a short ride.
Earthling wrote:
<quoted text>
It certainly seems like it, because anyone in their right mind would have accepted their error by now and at least admitted that they learned to spell forty incorrectly.
-
<quoted text>
But you haven't. Must be VERY hot in Spain.. even hotter than Toronto.. hmm. yup. That explains it..
Earthling

Pinoso, Spain

#85 Aug 5, 2010
LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
Well, they heat certainly is getting to me but it has more to do with a stationary high in Bermuda.[Fourty] degree humidex weather is life threatening and my bike rides are getting shorter as I need a cold shower to cool down after even a short ride.
Take longer rides and lose more weight, you know it makes sense.
LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
But you haven't.
How can I accept being wrong when you're unable to prove it?
Forty has been spelt forty for a few hundred years, apart from in the odd backwoods school in Canada, by a teacher who didn't have a dictionary to refer to or simply didn't bother to check one.
LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
Must be VERY hot in Spain.. even hotter than Toronto.. hmm. yup. That explains it..
31º C here and quite comfortable for me, with just a fan to circulate the air.
Only wimps complain about weather.
-
NB: The 'humidex' is an index used by Canadian meteorologists to describe how hot the weather feels to the average person, so only Canucks understand it.

“Happy, warm and comfortable”

Since: Oct 10

Mountain retreat, SE Spain

#86 Sep 22, 2012
LessFact never really recovered from that heatwave, he still insists forty is spelt with a U.
Ö¿Ö
PHD

Houston, TX

#87 Sep 22, 2012
Earthling-1 wrote:
LessFact never really recovered from that heatwave, he still insists forty is spelt with a U.
Ö¿Ö
Oh yes but your the commander of useless babble tainted with hate covered with spam cut and paste. You should have used protection.

#88 Sep 22, 2012
[This maybe why he forgot how to spell forty]
NobodyYouEverWantToKnow, aka:
LessFactMoreHype wrote:
Twelve years before then. I know that I have trouble remembering things exactly from twelve years before.

http://www.topix.com/forum/news/global-warmin...

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#89 Sep 22, 2012
The Japanese nuclear plant disaster, where not one single person has been killed by radiation, proves modern nuclear power is safe.
LessHypeMoreFact

Toronto, Canada

#90 Sep 22, 2012
Brian_G wrote:
The Japanese nuclear plant disaster, where not one single person has been killed by radiation, proves modern nuclear power is safe.
Oh, wow. I know a drunk who totally obliterated two cars including his own and a parked one. He survived. I guess that means that drinking while driving is 'safe'. According to the STUPIDEST more IDIOTIC poster on Topix.

#91 Sep 22, 2012
LessFactMoreHype wrote:
According to the STUPIDEST more IDIOTIC poster on Topix.
With calving you don't get more than a small difference in the endpoint. You don't 'calve' a chunk of ice 2.7 square miles in extent.
-
I objected to calving as a description of the breakup of several square miles of glacier. It is still the wrong term. That is truth, not lie.
-
And breaking away of large blocks of ice or disintegration of large areas of ice sheet can hardly be considered 'ablation'. Look it up, dimwad.
-
By 'calving' the phrase arose because it was a small bit of a much larger mass. Like a cow having a calf. I have seen calving used to describe the breakoff[sic] of large ice islands, but consider it to be a misuse of the term.

That said, the use of words is arbitrary and I cannot say that the public agrees. They tend to use whatever word they can think of in similar contexts and the breakoff[sic] of a large ice island is 'similar' to calving, just on more like 'cowing' where the 'new child' is as big as or nearly as big as the mother.. I think my point has merit but won't argue it. As I said in my explanation..

That I state the truth and shame the devil still bugs Dirtling badly. That he can quote these correct statements as if they were 'proof of insanity' just makes me wonder about his own.

#92 Sep 23, 2012
LessFactMoreHype wrote:
Oh, wow. I know a drunk who totally obliterated two cars including his own and a parked one. He survived. I guess that means that drinking while driving is 'safe'. According to the STUPIDEST more IDIOTIC poster on Topix.
LessFactMoreHype wrote:
According to YOUR theory, no car can be charged with hitting a pedestrian unless the pedestrian is already dead or too crippled to move.
PHD

Houston, TX

#93 Sep 23, 2012
Earthling-1 wrote:
<quoted text><quoted text>
An empty page from the dirtling. Overdose on your meds? Could it be that not using protection is hindering your useless babble today?

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Home, sweet home.

#94 Sep 24, 2012
LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
The difference is, every news agency in the world acknowledges not even one person died from radiation after the Fukuyama tsunami while Lesshy is the only person who knows that drunk.
LessHypeMoreFact

Toronto, Canada

#95 Sep 24, 2012
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>The difference is, every news agency in the world acknowledges not even one person died from radiation after the Fukuyama tsunami while Lesshy is the only person who knows that drunk.
I think you should change your name to

"Clueless at Any Subject"

and write a book about yourself.

Maybe drive around signing autographs in your Ford Pinto.. or maybe a Chevy Corvair..

#96 Sep 25, 2012
LessFactMoreHype wrote:
"Clueless at Any Subject"
It would have to be Mr Undoubtably Spelt Fourty for you, and Mr Thermal Pollutant for your other self.
NoFactAllHype wrote:
and write a book about yourself.
You'd have trouble doing that, I suggest you employ a ghost writer.
NoFactAllHype wrote:
Maybe drive around signing autographs in your Ford Pinto.. or maybe a Chevy Corvair..
Musings of Ralph Nader?
He didn't think much of the VW Beetle either.
PHD

Houston, TX

#97 Sep 25, 2012
Earthling-1 wrote:
<quoted text>It would have to be Mr Undoubtably Spelt Fourty for you, and Mr Thermal Pollutant for your other self.
<quoted text>You'd have trouble doing that, I suggest you employ a ghost writer.
<quoted text>Musings of Ralph Nader?
He didn't think much of the VW Beetle either.
More useless babble.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Home, sweet home.

#98 Sep 25, 2012
LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
"Clueless at Any Subject" and write a book about yourself. Maybe drive around signing autographs in your Ford Pinto.. or maybe a Chevy Corvair..
Thank you for not suggesting I drive a hybrid or a Chevrolet Volt.

I drive a 23 year old BMW, great suspension and a manual transmission.

Why don't you discuss the issue? Nobody died from radiation released by Japan's nuclear plants.

#99 Feb 11, 2015
LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
Ooops. You are correct. My apologies. I must have confused him with some other person or combination of persons.
However, you do not show that HE [Samuel Johnson] has written a dictionary in which Fourty is spelled forty.
So...
Now we can, because Johnson's dictionary is now online, and here is the page you require with "forty" on:
http://johnsonsdictionaryonline.com/...

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Home, sweet home.

#100 Feb 15, 2015
The National Police Agency has confirmed 15,889 deaths, 6,152 injured, and 2,601 people missing from the tsunami but not one death from radiation after the meltdowns at Fukushima.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Global Warming Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Global warming made Paris floods far more likel... 5 min Brian_G 88
News In climate denial, again (Oct '10) 14 min Brian_G 109
Poll Will it, won't it? Part 3 (Aug '12) 4 hr litesong 3,151
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 4 hr IB DaMann 60,011
News Supreme Court Takes Up Global Warming (Nov '06) 9 hr Into The Night 31
2016 year to date 9 hr Into The Night 83
Global Cooling (Apr '15) 9 hr Into The Night 1,564
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 9 hr Into The Night 9,779
More from around the web