Nuclear energy causes global warming

Nuclear energy causes global warming

There are 120 comments on the Tehran Times story from Jul 24, 2010, titled Nuclear energy causes global warming. In it, Tehran Times reports that:

We need energy to heat our homes and provide electricity for our appliances. Most commonly in our world, coal, oil, natural gas, and radioactive materials, especially the heavy metal, Uranium, supply our energy.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Tehran Times.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
LessHypeMoreFact

Toronto, Canada

#1 Jul 25, 2010
A fun game and a way to get bragging rights but does anyone think that this can seriously change the overall fuel demand??
frank miller

United States

#2 Jul 25, 2010
France, the size of Wisconsin, and a little bit of Michigan has 74 nuclear power plants, when compared to the entire U.S.A.'s 114!! Uranium 235 breeder reactors, which produce Pu239, as an almost eventual closed loop 'renewable' cycle are very efficient, with wastes being the size of small match boxes. Yes the recirculating cooling normal and heavy water, does raise the temperatures of water ways heat sinks, 24/7/365!!
Iran is particularly vulnerable to it's oil field depletions simply because since about WW1 to WW2 {1918 to 1945} Great Britain, and much of Europe were getting transportation fuels, and critical Petrochemicals { tyres, Buna N synthetic rubber, munitions, pharmaceuticals, nylon, polyester, rayon
textile fibers...}. By 1960 Iran, Saudi Arabia, Iraq, Lybia were augmenting U.S.A. oil /petrochemical needs, when our land-based fields ran dry; along with industrialized Japan
while China was not yet a Globalized consumer goods
power, with vast Oriental coal reserves.
From about 1980, when outsourcing of practically
90 percent of all our U.S. 3 shifts/day Manufacturing/Chemical Specialties/some Petrochemicals began, to now 2010 for example automobile/truck tyres whichcontain from 15 to 30 percent mineral oil plasticizers, are no longer made in the U.S. but overseas, Iran has been shipping it's oil crude to China, Japan, India, Taiwanand surrounding Indochina environs, while now
and for the past about 10 years we only get about 4 percent crude from the entire Arabian/Middle East fields, going mostly to the closer tanker route Atlantic East Coast sea-board cities, and towns!
Hence Iran in relative long term years, will soon run out, thus their economic interest in developing
nuclear power stations.
F.M.

LessHypeMoreFact

Toronto, Canada

#3 Jul 26, 2010
The idea that the direct heat production is causing AGW is ludicrous. The world consumes the equivalent of 0.02% of solar energy that falls on the planet. The greenhouse effect adds about 1% of the solar energy or about fifty times more than direct heating.(2.5 w/m*m added to 250 w/m*m).

But then, this is a doctor. A MEDICAL doctor who has retired and obviously has past his prime.

The real question is why anyone is paying attention to his babble.
Earthling

Pinoso, Spain

#4 Jul 26, 2010
LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
The real question is why anyone is paying attention to his babble.
My question to you, is why aren't you paying attention to the Bible, the 1611 King John's version, where you'll find that forty is not spelt or spelled fourty?

A simple admission that you were wrong would suffice and put an end to the indignity you're suffering?
frank miller

United States

#5 Jul 26, 2010
Will you two frigging uneducated idiots,'Less HypeMoreFact', and 'Earthling' get off the Internet
for God's sake, in the British Commonwealth system
just like American 'color' is spelled 'colour'; so is 'forty' spelled 'fourty'!
F.M.
frank miller

United States

#6 Jul 26, 2010
Will you two frigging uneducatedd insufferable idiots,'LessHypeMoreFact' and 'Earthling', in Great Britain, and some Commonwealth regions, just like American 'color' is spelled 'colour', I think that 'forty' is spelled 'fourty', get off the Internet, for God's sake! Please!
F.M.
Earthling

Pinoso, Spain

#7 Jul 26, 2010
frank miller wrote:
Will you two frigging uneducated idiots,'Less HypeMoreFact', and 'Earthling' get off the Internet
for God's sake, in the British Commonwealth system
just like American 'color' is spelled 'colour'; so is 'forty' spelled 'fourty'!
F.M.
Please don't prove that you're as uneducated in English as LessFact.
Colour in American English is spelt color, you have Noah Webster to thank for that, gladly, he never got round to finishing his work.
Check in any dictionary printed at any time, forty is and always has been spelled forty.
frank miller wrote:
Will you two frigging uneducatedd insufferable idiots,'LessHypeMoreFact' and 'Earthling', in Great Britain, and some Commonwealth regions, just like American 'color' is spelled 'colour', I think that 'forty' is spelled 'fourty', get off the Internet, for God's sake! Please!
F.M.
From being sure in one post, in the next, you've climbed down to, "I think that 'forty' is spelled 'fourty'."
Open any dictionary and check before making yourself look a silly as LessFact.

I await your apology.
frank miller

United States

#8 Jul 26, 2010
You frigging insolent for 3 years trolling on Topix uneducated pig 'Earthling', my #6 post, had to be repeated, as I thought my #5 post, had not gone thru! In American english 'Color' is spelled without the 'u'. In Great Britain, unless the dictionaries have been normalized, its spelled with a 'u' sic. colour, moron! I was wrong, 40 has always been spelled just like 4 [four], fourty, and 4th. fourth.
But that was not my point, idiot...'LessHypeMoreFact'#3 post, was not technically correct, as I have elucidated more than 45 times these past 4 years on AGWCO2 Threads, even again these past 3 weeks! So why answer him, or her with such an absurd "Bible, the 1611 King John's version distinction that forty is not spelt or spelled fourty"????
F.M.
frank miller

United States

#9 Jul 26, 2010
Any 12 year old educated primary school dinosaur
afficiendo, who has probably seen 'Jurassic Park' a dozen times, can visualize the land mass Earth, being more or less 99% covered with rich green Rainforests, millions of years ago during the around Triassic, and Mesozoic reptilian periods, as atesting by NOW oceans of fossil oil, and virtual 'countries' of fossil old Rainforest coal
deposits! With, it appears midway in time trillions of tons of vegetative state 'peat'.
The 93 millions miles away Sun, radiates a total of 9 X 10[25] cal/sec to the Earth, or 1,938 cal/sq.cm/min. While a small per cent is absorbed by the atmosphere on the clearest of days, the presence of fog and clouds in regions away from the Equator and towards the polar caps often absorbs 30 to 40 % and a similar amount back into vacuum space, whence there are no more air molecules to vibrate to I.R. heat, and it's a bone chilling -150 F in pitch darkness, as there also no air molecules to refract the blue portion of the light spectrum, when here on Earth we see that sky as blue!!
F.M.

frank miller

United States

#10 Jul 26, 2010
Now under such foggy, cloudy conditions only a small amount of heat may get to the ground, and oceans! On clear nights the temperature at the earth's surface drops rapidly due to direct heat radiation into space. An intervening cloud blanket, however will prevent this and the resultant surface temperature will remain considerably higher! That is why that this,sic "0.02%, and 1 % of greenhouse gases heat absorptions ", of LYMF #3 post can never be precisely, nor accurately measured! Not even an intelligent computer model can do that!

But an intelligent 12 year old once shown the photosynthesis universal process equation:
" The Solar, and also the man-kind I.R. heat energy
that must be absorbed, along with UV light, since delta H is +674 kcal.; comes from sunlight. The heat of combustion of glucose is 674.0 k.cal. per mole. sic. 6CO2 + 6H2O...C6H12O6 + 6O2 delta H =
+674k.cal.{If the sign was -, it would mean an exothermic reaction, if + its an endothermic one}!

So what has changed, since 'Jurassic Park' and lets say the last 2000 years of extensive 1,000,000 acres/month average Rainforests, and Temperate woods civilization deforestation? Well we have lost
from 42 % of Rainforests in Brazil alone, 50 % of Rainforests in Africa alone, and about 35 % in Indochina, Indonesia! And to a lesser land mass areas 100 % in Haiti, 75 % Dominican Republic about 65 % in Honduras, Columbia, Costa Rica! And
perhaps 85 % in Cuba, Madagascar!
And about probably 85 % of temperate zones wooded forests!
So millions of years ago as this 12 year old can now visualize, all that impinging Solar heat reaching ground Earth, on clear non-foggy days was IRREVERSIBLY absorbed by the vast Rainforests, and oceans, by photosynthesis! Now for the last 2000 years less and less radiation have been ground absorbed, but reflected back, by convection into space.{Oceans for all practical purposes absorb about the same.}
So now this 12 year old looks at Chemistry/Handbboks from 1932 to 2010, and he/she sees that the atmospheric concentration of 'greenhouse
gases' carbon dioxide {CO2} has not changed from 0.03% to 0.04% by volume, and the other 'greenhouse gas' water vapor H2O is still between 0.10 %{Desert} and 2.8 %{humid New Orleans, Florida, Brazil...} by volume!
Now the 12 year old can see the huge amounts of heat rays eminating from 'heat island' cities, towns, and
at night reradiating back Solar heat absorbed by concrete, asphalt, glass..during the day, and released at night, by the wavy at a certain viewing angle, such as radiator heat from a hot-automobile hood, air convection currents, and shimmering hot pavements!
F.M.
Earthling

Pinoso, Spain

#11 Jul 26, 2010
frank miller wrote:
You frigging insolent for 3 years trolling on Topix uneducated pig 'Earthling', my #6 post, had to be repeated, as I thought my #5 post, had not gone thru!
It's fun when apparently educated people feel the need to employ insults when they're wrong.
frank miller wrote:
In American english 'Color' is spelled without the 'u'.
I agreed that in a previous post, you can blame or thank Webster for that.
frank miller wrote:
In Great Britain, unless the dictionaries have been normalized, its spelled with a 'u' sic. colour, moron! I was wrong, 40 has always been spelled just like 4 [four], fourty, and 4th. fourth.
Thanks for showing your true colours.
frank miller wrote:
But that was not my point, idiot...'LessHypeMoreFact'#3 post, was not technically correct, as I have elucidated more than 45 times these past 4 years on AGWCO2 Threads, even again these past 3 weeks! So why answer him, or her with such an absurd "Bible, the 1611 King John's version distinction that forty is not spelt or spelled fourty"????
F.M.
Simple, 40 has been spelled forty for a few hundred years, in fact it was spelt that way long before America gained its independence.
frank miller

United States

#12 Jul 27, 2010
Clarification of my #2 post; and follow up to my #10 post, as if I needed to repeat it to aware critical thinking Science educated Topix readers NOW & for the last 2 years on Topix, when the subject of Nuclear Plants warming various
examples of cooling exchange waterways,sic. open oceans {San Onofre, Southern California} versus land-locked Lake Michigan, Lake Superior, and Lake Huron, about 13 Nuclear plants sharing along their shores, cooling waters, and similar mechanism on the subject of "Icebergs Melting".
Waters in harsh Winters feeeze from the TOP DOWN, when the temperature falls, either by net seasonal
change, or with a combination of wind chill-factor, when the water temperature drops below 4C, icy cold water begins to expand, until OC, and the top layer begins to solidify. Why? Because ice has a lower density than its aqueous liquid {0.907g./cc vs 1.00g./cc}. If it were not so Lakes Rivers, would freeze from the bottom-up, and trap all fish, seals, and other life forms land based animals like Polar Bears would no be able to feed after a Winter of hybernation!
F.M.
frank miller

United States

#13 Jul 27, 2010
So what does this unique 'floating lower density'
of water have to do with incremental AGW, or it's corollary 'incremental' climate change aspect?
Well at open Pacific Ocean cooling-exchange 24/7/365 operating San Onofre {CA} nuclear Plant, not that perceivable! But in land-locked 3 North American Lakes, with high wind-chill factors, much originating from the North Pole Arctic Circle, andalso probably in France, which has harsher Winters than Southern California, we can have early
non-lake/delayed freezing anomalies in the Fall because of the MAN-KIND {anthropological} imparted WARMTH from 13 electricity generating Nuclear power Plants!! In other words entertainment ice-skaters would have to wait until Winter to practice their craft, lest the ice would be too soft, and tragically fall in!
But that is an example of INCREMENTAL AGW/AGC, aspects! Not the entire story, but very important
in analyzing ALL the aspects, which only a thorough
Education in all branches of Science can provide
PLUS an unbiased apolitical CURIOSITY/INTEREST
of how Nature works around us, for intelligent non-dogmatic debates, as " Science and Politics do indeed make for strange bed-fellows"!
F.M.
frank miller

United States

#14 Jul 27, 2010
Oh and maybe we ought to call the San Francisco
"Fortyniners' NFL professional football team front-office, and have them change their name to "Fourtyniners" for grammatical correctness!
F.M.
Earthling

Pinoso, Spain

#15 Jul 27, 2010
Fourtyniners would be wrong, that's why, Frankie.
frank miller

United States

#16 Jul 27, 2010
How about 49's idiot? What is that foul odour, or maybe odor eminating from all your 2 liners foolish revolving door arguments, these past 2 years?! Get a life imbecile!
F.M.
Earthling

Pinoso, Spain

#17 Jul 28, 2010
Because 49's would be fortynine's, Frankie.

"San Francisco Forty Niners"

Also known as, SF 49ers.
Often referred to as, The Niners.
frank miller

United States

#18 Jul 28, 2010
You contemptible uneducated insolent bastard 'Earthling #17', you wrote in one post earlier this year and I'd retrieve it if it did not disgust me so much, it went something like this:
" I've old bones! I have been working digging out asbestos all my 'laborer' working life; I've smoked cigarettes, and had unprotected sex with numerous partners; and I'm showing no symptoms, so there.." You wrote this to another poster. When I remarked on it you did not contest it! And everyone of your posts, these past 2 years keep confirming, that indeed you have such a damaged persona, for not even probably having a high school diploma, and not understanding the chemical vocabulary, to distinguish between my concepts,
which are in novel clear, cogent, concise syntax, opposite mechanisms from the Al Gore/IPCC!
You frigging idiot,'just like this other ignorant uneducated creep 'LessHypeMoreFact'
who contantly keeps quoting other 'name dropping' Chemistry ignorant Climateologists individuals, with incessant 'garbage-in garbage-out' htpp sources, with absolutely no creative insight of his/her own, you both try to compensate on this anonymous Internet, by putting other people down! You are a filthy ingrate!
F.M.
Earthling

Pinoso, Spain

#19 Jul 28, 2010
Frank miller gets three out of ten for memory, but has to be deducted 5 points for feeling the need to remember things he should have made notes of.
-
FM's running total:-2.
-
For punctuation, he loses at least two more points for this one sentence alone:
"You contemptible[,] uneducated[,] insolent bastard"
-
FM's running total:-4.

For getting, "bastard" (accidentally) correct, I award him three points.
-
FM's running total:-1.
-
For his general grasp of English grammar, I have to award him -4:
-
FM's final total:-5.

Headmaster's report:
Frank Miller could do better, but probably won't.
Earthling

Pinoso, Spain

#20 Jul 28, 2010
Oops, I missed:
"You are a filthy ingrate!"

I'm sure that deserves at least detention and 500 lines.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Global Warming Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say (Jul '10) 9 min LIbErals 38,341
News White House will override Obama's climate plan 32 min Mothra 3,317
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 40 min Mothra 12,225
What is "Too Much Of A Good Thing"? 6 hr Warmth Is Good 1
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 18 hr GALAXY FART 64,458
News Sea ice cover at both poles at lowest point of ... (Mar '17) Mon Into The Night 66
News Consumers Energy to stop using coal power by 2040 Mon Trump is a joke 1
More from around the web