Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say

Scientists from around the world are providing even more evidence of global warming, one day after President Barack Obama renewed his call for climate legislation. Full Story

Since: Aug 07

South Central Virginia

#14355 Apr 18, 2012
tina anne wrote:
<quoted text>
The goverment has a legal obligation to repay those people since they required those people to invest. They did not have an option. Meanwhile they goverment pays people to not work. People who have never worked a day in their entire lives.
How about the people who have never contributed one single red cent instead of those who have contributed a large portion of thier income. After all, those on welfare have never contributed one single penny. Now if they were to get jobs and pay thier own way then the goverment would receive money from them instead of paying them.
Find the legal obligation and I might believe you. But you can not because it does not exist.
Lanny D

United States

#14356 Apr 18, 2012
Reagan had 200 billion in annual deficits, Obama does that in one month. Reagan doubled tax revenues by cutting top bracket from 70-28%.

Dem congress allowed this in Exchange only for tax increases.

We both know Reagan would have been happy increasing no taxes and reducing the budget. But to get his top tax bracket reduced he negotiated with a Dem congress.
okboston wrote:
<quoted text>
Reagan nearly doubled the SS/Medicare taxes on the self-employed small business owner. Facts are not misinformation despite what you want to believe.
He used the increased revenues from the increased SS/Medicare taxes to hide the deficits being run through his tax cut to the rich.
He also increased the capital gains rate back to 28% as well.
How many times did the debt limit have to be increased under Reagan?
Clinton raised taxes and created more jobs than Reagan. bush cut taxes and created only 3,000,000 jobs of which 2,000,000 were government jobs.
SpaceBlues

Lake Jackson, TX

#14357 Apr 18, 2012
okboston wrote:
<quoted text>
Reagan nearly doubled the SS/Medicare taxes on the self-employed small business owner. Facts are not misinformation despite what you want to believe.
He used the increased revenues from the increased SS/Medicare taxes to hide the deficits being run through his tax cut to the rich.
He also increased the capital gains rate back to 28% as well.
How many times did the debt limit have to be increased under Reagan?
Clinton raised taxes and created more jobs than Reagan. bush cut taxes and created only 3,000,000 jobs of which 2,000,000 were government jobs.
you sound about right.

I don't know who thinks otherwise to give you bad judgements. But a rewrite of history is wrong about Reagan. He was bad for the working people in USA. You did not mention the inflation rate that he bloated as well.

Since: Aug 07

South Central Virginia

#14358 Apr 18, 2012
Cold Hard Facts wrote:
<quoted text>
Far and away Reagan had net tax decreases. Do the math going from 70 to 28%.
That doubled government tax revenues.
If you want the real decreased, how much did the effective income tax change in relation to the SS/Medicare tax for each income quintile?

Some at the bottom ended up paying more in taxes.

Since: Mar 12

shelton, wa

#14359 Apr 18, 2012
tina anne wrote:
<quoted text>
Funny, but I didn't see any name calling.
liberals tend to be ultra-sensitive.....

Since: Aug 07

South Central Virginia

#14360 Apr 18, 2012
frontporchreactionary wrote:
@Mothra, "If you can, please tell us about the deregulation that caused the collapse." You've seen the deregulation policies of Senator Phil Graham and G W Bush a million times in the newspaper(do you understand that Allan Greenspan is a neo-classical economist,like Milton Friedman , and what neoclassical economics is based on? That's right ,economic deregulation or uncontrolled growth for growth's sake. A Short History of Glass-Steagall and the Result of Its Murder
... the Johnson Reed Act ... enter stage right, Phil Graham ... in a position to rig the game. Regulation of derivatives falls within the purview of the Commodity Futures ...
www.ocnus.net/artman2/publish/Business_1/A-Sh... ...." Phil Graham and a Republican party that believed (and still does believe) that it had found legitimacy and an intellectual voice in Ayn Rand and Objectivism, a generally selfish and soulless pseudo-philosophy with particular appeal to the "me firsters." Would America be a better place if Rand had stayed in Russia, or better yet never learned to read and For some twenty years Republicans had been trying to repeal Glass-Steagall. Twelve times legislation was introduced and eleven times it failed. In Graham they found the water carrier who would finally get the job done. With the passage of the Graham-Leach-Bliley act (officially the Financial Services Modernization Act of 1999) in November of that year the job was done, Glass-Steagall was at last officially dead."... Thanks to deregulation in one case and the absence of regulation in the other, banks were able to purchase large blocks of mortgages, divide them into tiers (some likely to paid off, others not so likely), make one profit by selling the packages and another by betting on the lower tier to fail, even though they no longer had a proprietary interest in the loans. There are a number of other reasons why unregulated CDSs can be a threat to America's economy but most significant is that they are another source of unsecured debt. They can, on the other hand, be terribly profitable, particularly if you are in a position to rig the game.
Regulation of derivatives falls within the purview of the Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC) and during the mid 1990s the CFTC was led by an intelligent, capable and forceful woman named Brooksley Born. In the mid 1990s Ms. Born recognized the particular peril CDSs represented and set about writing regulations to reel them in. She was at once opposed by the triumvirate of Alan Greenspan, Larry Summers and Robert Ruben. In a nut shell, Ms. Born was shouted down, the CDSs market continued to grow unchecked until it played it's part in the crash of 2008 and Greenspan and Summers would be joined by Tim Geithner and go on to become players in the Obama administration.
For an outstanding report on the Born, et. al. battle go the PBS Frontline documentary, The Warning, here:
http://www.pbs.org/..." ;
The Graham, Bligh, etc... bill only legitimized what was already allowed to happen in the Marketplace by Citigroup and others.

Deregulation happens 4 ways:

1. Straight forward throught the removal of legistlative actions.

2. Reduction of regulation for political philosophy reasons. Obama administration regulates carbon emissions and the next administration stops doing it.

3. Underfunding agency positions so that the agency does not have enough employee's to adequately perform its mission.

4. Underpay government employees so that they are unable to get the best and brightest. The top 5 employee's of each of the top 10 fianance companies make more than the entire budget of the agency that regaulates them.(1.e., the top 5 Citigroup employees make more than the entire budget of their regulating agency.)

Since: Mar 12

shelton, wa

#14361 Apr 18, 2012
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>you sound about right.
I don't know who thinks otherwise to give you bad judgements. But a rewrite of history is wrong about Reagan. He was bad for the working people in USA. You did not mention the inflation rate that he bloated as well.
The ONLY people Reagan may have been "bad" for were the ones expecting a HAND OUT...you obviously don't know squat about Reagan....ps, there was alot to correct after your hero Carter royally screwed this country up......

Since: Aug 07

South Central Virginia

#14362 Apr 18, 2012
Lanny D wrote:
Reagan had 200 billion in annual deficits, Obama does that in one month. Reagan doubled tax revenues by cutting top bracket from 70-28%.
Dem congress allowed this in Exchange only for tax increases.
We both know Reagan would have been happy increasing no taxes and reducing the budget. But to get his top tax bracket reduced he negotiated with a Dem congress.
<quoted text>
He q
LMAO

How many times did Reagan increase taxes as Governor of California? He was a tax increaser.

Since: Aug 08

Everett, WA

#14363 Apr 18, 2012
Mimee wrote:
..Please define the perfect climate.
Since when did you have the education to assign homework, specially homework that doesn't mean anything! Did you even get a hi skule deegreee. You must be a relative of 'mememine69', alias 'me me me getting mine in the 69 position'.

Since: Mar 12

shelton, wa

#14364 Apr 18, 2012
okboston wrote:
<quoted text>
He q
LMAO
How many times did Reagan increase taxes as Governor of California? He was a tax increaser.
but then he "grew up" and became a Republican...You silly liberals always leave out the happy ending.....
Obtuse

Saint Paul, MN

#14365 Apr 18, 2012
okboston wrote:
<quoted text>
He q
LMAO
How many times did Reagan increase taxes as Governor of California? He was a tax increaser.
That is 100% wrong, but thanks for the input.
Reaganomics

United States

#14366 Apr 18, 2012
Even Ronald Reagan raised taxes as governor of California, imposing a $1 billion tax increase his first year in office. It was the largest tax hike by a governor in the nation's history, raising income, corporate, sales and inheritance taxes. Five years later, Reagan raised taxes again by another $1.5 billion.

To be fair, unlike liberals, he also provided tax rebates that, over his tenure in office, totaled $5.7 billion, including $4 billion in property tax rebates

Since: Mar 12

shelton, wa

#14367 Apr 18, 2012
Reaganomics wrote:
Even Ronald Reagan raised taxes as governor of California, imposing a $1 billion tax increase his first year in office. It was the largest tax hike by a governor in the nation's history, raising income, corporate, sales and inheritance taxes. Five years later, Reagan raised taxes again by another $1.5 billion.
To be fair, unlike liberals, he also provided tax rebates that, over his tenure in office, totaled $5.7 billion, including $4 billion in property tax rebates
IF he did, he raised them on EVERYBODY, not just the acheivers.It's a liberal game to pick and choose who gets taxed.....Unlike the democrats Reagan wasn't trying to buy votes........
Reaganomics

United States

#14369 Apr 18, 2012
jwcool64 wrote:
<quoted text>IF he did, he raised them on EVERYBODY, not just the acheivers.It's a liberal game to pick and choose who gets taxed.....Unlike the democrats Reagan wasn't trying to buy votes........
As a net taxes were vastly lowered, even in a liberal State like CA

Since: Aug 07

South Central Virginia

#14371 Apr 18, 2012
jwcool64 wrote:
<quoted text>but then he "grew up" and became a Republican...You silly liberals always leave out the happy ending.....
How many times as President did he cut taxes and how many times did he raise them?
Carol

Fort Smith, AR

#14372 Apr 18, 2012
This is another subject like the birth certificate issue. When you ask for proof, they just call you nuts. Youre just supposed to take their word for it. I wonder when the last time was that THEY did that? Oh yeah, the bridge to nowhere comes to mind.

Since: Mar 12

shelton, wa

#14373 Apr 18, 2012
okboston wrote:
<quoted text>
How many times as President did he cut taxes and how many times did he raise them?
as usual, you missec my point--- he grew up!!!!!!!it's your turn to do the same....
Seattle Slew

Seattle, WA

#14374 Apr 18, 2012
jwcool64 wrote:
<quoted text>as usual, you missec my point--- he grew up!!!!!!!it's your turn to do the same....
WOW ! If you're not stupid, you play the part well....

Since: Mar 12

shelton, wa

#14375 Apr 18, 2012
Seattle Slew wrote:
<quoted text>WOW ! If you're not stupid, you play the part well....
well, you are the authority on stupid.....
Seattle Slew

Seattle, WA

#14376 Apr 18, 2012
jwcool64 wrote:
<quoted text>well, you are the authority on stupid.....
Read ALL your poor posts, so I am now. Stupid is defined as a black rethuglican't... LMAOROTFu~!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Global Warming Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 13 min litesong 46,701
Massive renewable energy project alters German ... 42 min Solarman 16
Will it, won't it? Part 3 (Aug '12) 2 hr litesong 1,629
What role do you think humans play in global wa... 3 hr Rick Moss 695
Celebrities Line Up for Global Climate Change M... 8 hr dont drink the ko... 1
At UN, Obama to urge nations to go big on climate 9 hr dont drink the ko... 1
The Pretzel Logic of Global Warming 9 hr dont drink the ko... 2
•••

Global Warming People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••