Expert: We must act fast on warming

Expert: We must act fast on warming

There are 28468 comments on the Kansas.com story from Sep 24, 2008, titled Expert: We must act fast on warming. In it, Kansas.com reports that:

Droughts, melting ice caps and glaciers, rising sea levels and mass extinctions will all be a reality unless the U.S. and the world cut back on carbon emissions dramatically, said James Hansen, director of ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Kansas.com.

Since: Mar 13

Location hidden

#26983 Jul 7, 2013
OOPS, dear me, I wrote 99.5% when I meant 98.5%. But that 1.5% not burned can be made into Pu238 which NASA would dearly LOVE to get their hands on. So no waste there either.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#26984 Jul 7, 2013
home in lincoln county wrote:
i find it not so funny that the warmer's for the most part DON'T practice what they preach , most of you still use your own car ,truck , use electric from the grid , fire up your charcoal or gas grill , gas powered lawn mower even a few own you own aircraft or very large boat - ship , own one or more homes , some own cattle and have many offspring of your own . so if you truly believe in your cause then why don't you live what you preach and believe ? after all you lead by example . and no i don't want to hear from all of you that recycle cans or have a solar cell on your roof ect. if you believe and preach the doom and end of earth and mankind then YOU should give up your way of life to show others the way .
That is why we must change our energy system. Our society is tied to cheap energy and growth industries. Many of us have cut way back on our energy uses but we still need cars to get to work and get our living supplies from the nearest shopping mall. Because of cheap energy and personal transportation it allowed for centralized shopping and large conglomerate businesses that folks can drive to. If things were decentralized where local communities could service their folks locally, we could do without all the fancy cars.

It is not a personal possibility but a complete change in the social order that is necessary. Only then can change occur. Government must take a role in establishing these things because as long as the economics of cheap fuel exists we will continue towards centralization.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#26985 Jul 7, 2013
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
That is why we must change our energy system. Our society is tied to cheap energy and growth industries. Many of us have cut way back on our energy uses but we still need cars to get to work and get our living supplies from the nearest shopping mall. Because of cheap energy and personal transportation it allowed for centralized shopping and large conglomerate businesses that folks can drive to. If things were decentralized where local communities could service their folks locally, we could do without all the fancy cars.
It is not a personal possibility but a complete change in the social order that is necessary. Only then can change occur. Government must take a role in establishing these things because as long as the economics of cheap fuel exists we will continue towards centralization.
I don't know what will happen because when you start thinking about it, it quickly becomes apparent that it will be very complicated.

You look at the mixed results from our old hippie "back-to-the-land" movement in the 60's-70's. Today, there's a revival of that, also with mixed results. Both of those movements were voluntary and attempted by "believers" in the idea.

What will happen in the three different sectors of our society when the effects of AGW start in earnest or the cost of fuels starts to skyrocket? Urban reactions will differ from suburban reactions which will differ from rural responses.

You might do alright in the inner city and in satellite cities. The metro areas about which I know the most are Chicago, Jackson, and New Orleans. Most stores are within walking distance. There are vacant spots for community gardens. There are plenty of rooftops for collectors. Mass transit should still be available, if you can afford it. Food and distribution systems are already in place but will change in some ways and, no doubt, cost more.

"Boom" town metropolises that grew too fast, like Atlanta and Houston and Dallas and L.A. are composed of suburbs, with widely spaced clusters of housing and shopping malls. How will that work?

As for rural, I'm not worried. A country boy can survive. Just this weekend, neighbors brought me blueberries, squash, beans, peas, cucumbers. They know my topsoil got washed away. I still managed to grow my own tomatoes, which are doing good, and some corn and okra, which aren't producing much.

What will happen when gasoline goes to $6-10 a gallon? What will happen after Norfolk and Washington are hit by a Cat 4 and Cat 3 hurricane? As more heat builds in the West and Southwest, what will happen to the land denuded by wildfire and to the ski industry?

We don't know. All we can do is guess. But we do know some kind of storm is coming....

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#26986 Jul 8, 2013
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
total bull ! if you truly believed in your cause you would walk , ride a bike, or use public transportation , have no other power to your home or business except for what you produce . and just like the mess that obama care is going to and has already started what business is it of the govt. to tell you or i how much of an energy source we should use , just what we DON'T need more govt. in our lives . and yes i believe that someday someone will invent a cheap non polluting source of energy but until then thank god for cheap fossil fuels ,coal , and nuke power . using your line of thought then we should make all energy sources cost so much that only the very wealthy could afford to have heat , ac , or a car and have the govt's . of the world to force ALL of us to live in the stone ages . let's go back to using horse drawn plows in the fields and ban all the tractors worldwide just how long would it take for folks to start starving to death how long before these hungry people attack and overthrow their own govt. in the name of feeding their children . so much for caring about the poor and those who have less. but after all that is the real plan for the planet to reduce the total world wide population by any means necessary and using climate scare is just one example of those who believe .

Location hidden

#26987 Jul 8, 2013
<quoted text> total bull ! if you truly believed in your cause you would walk , ride a bike, or use public transportation , have no other power to your home or business except for what you produce . and just like the mess that obama care is going to and has already started what business is it of the govt. to tell you or i how much of an energy source we should use , just what we DON'T need more govt. in our lives . and yes i believe that someday someone will invent a cheap non polluting source of energy but until then thank god for cheap fossil fuels ,coal , and nuke power . using your line of thought then we should make all energy sources cost so much that only the very wealthy could afford to have heat , ac , or a car and have the govt's . of the world to force ALL of us to live in the stone ages . let's go back to using horse drawn plows in the fields and ban all the tractors worldwide just how long would it take for folks to start starving to death how long before these hungry people attack and overthrow their own govt. in the name of feeding their children . so much for caring about the poor and those who have less. but after all that is the real plan for the planet to reduce the total world wide population by any means necessary and using climate scare is just one example of those who believe .
It is folks like you that impede progress. Things change. We must be willing to change with them. Changes are hard. Some times they have to be forced on folks because some folks just don't understand the problems. Governments are necessary and mostly good. It is time for folks like you to grow up.

Location hidden

#26988 Jul 8, 2013
gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know what will happen because when you start thinking about it, it quickly becomes apparent that it will be very complicated.
You look at the mixed results from our old hippie "back-to-the-land" movement in the 60's-70's. Today, there's a revival of that, also with mixed results. Both of those movements were voluntary and attempted by "believers" in the idea.
What will happen in the three different sectors of our society when the effects of AGW start in earnest or the cost of fuels starts to skyrocket? Urban reactions will differ from suburban reactions which will differ from rural responses.
You might do alright in the inner city and in satellite cities. The metro areas about which I know the most are Chicago, Jackson, and New Orleans. Most stores are within walking distance. There are vacant spots for community gardens. There are plenty of rooftops for collectors. Mass transit should still be available, if you can afford it. Food and distribution systems are already in place but will change in some ways and, no doubt, cost more.
"Boom" town metropolises that grew too fast, like Atlanta and Houston and Dallas and L.A. are composed of suburbs, with widely spaced clusters of housing and shopping malls. How will that work?
As for rural, I'm not worried. A country boy can survive. Just this weekend, neighbors brought me blueberries, squash, beans, peas, cucumbers. They know my topsoil got washed away. I still managed to grow my own tomatoes, which are doing good, and some corn and okra, which aren't producing much.
What will happen when gasoline goes to $6-10 a gallon? What will happen after Norfolk and Washington are hit by a Cat 4 and Cat 3 hurricane? As more heat builds in the West and Southwest, what will happen to the land denuded by wildfire and to the ski industry?
We don't know. All we can do is guess. But we do know some kind of storm is coming....
I understand. I moved from a small farm to a small town several years ago. I think things will hold together for me until it no longer matters, but I do not feel as secure as I did on the land. There is a medical clinic within walking distance and so far a grocery store within a mile so pretty good here.

I worry about the next generation or two. There will be a lot of transition for them. I suppose that we could transition to more local stores, we had them in our history. When it becomes more expensive to drive to a super store than to a more expensive local store, folks will shop locally. This generation is use to having things provided for them and have forgotten how to do things for themselves. But I see glimpses of young folks relying on their efforts more.

It will not happen overnight but will happen slowly and most will not even see it happening. Of course the big corporations will be the last to change, and as they fail it will cause panic in the market. It will not be easy.
Dont drink the koolaid

Eden Prairie, MN

#26989 Jul 9, 2013
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand. I moved from a small farm to a small town several years ago. I think things will hold together for me until it no longer matters, but I do not feel as secure as I did on the land. There is a medical clinic within walking distance and so far a grocery store within a mile so pretty good here.
I worry about the next generation or two. There will be a lot of transition for them. I suppose that we could transition to more local stores, we had them in our history. When it becomes more expensive to drive to a super store than to a more expensive local store, folks will shop locally. This generation is use to having things provided for them and have forgotten how to do things for themselves. But I see glimpses of young folks relying on their efforts more.
It will not happen overnight but will happen slowly and most will not even see it happening. Of course the big corporations will be the last to change, and as they fail it will cause panic in the market. It will not be easy.
When there is a method to transport me 60 miles - door to door in < 1 hour come talk to me about progress. Until then all this talk of alternative energy appears to be a pretext for social and technological regression.

Location hidden

#26990 Jul 9, 2013
Dont drink the koolaid wrote:
<quoted text>
When there is a method to transport me 60 miles - door to door in < 1 hour come talk to me about progress. Until then all this talk of alternative energy appears to be a pretext for social and technological regression.
That is just dumb. It will be a technological revolution and a boon to our social order.

Location hidden

#26991 Jul 9, 2013
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
It is folks like you that impede progress. Things change. We must be willing to change with them. Changes are hard. Some times they have to be forced on folks because some folks just don't understand the problems. Governments are necessary and mostly good. It is time for folks like you to grow up.
sorry your wrong again i never said i was against change please re read i all in favor of someone inventing a clean , cheap , reliable , easy to produce energy source unlike wind , solar which ARE NOT so until then we are stuck with oil and it products.
so i guess we can all take it that you are in favor of the god of govt. taking over and running your life from birth to death. no thank you i prefer to keep my freedoms and not the yoke of an oppressive all consuming , controlling govt.
my how time change just a few short years ago most folks in america feared and were against a one world govt. now fools embrace it !
off subject a bit however you asked .

Location hidden

#26992 Jul 9, 2013
<quoted text> sorry your wrong again i never said i was against change please re read i all in favor of someone inventing a clean , cheap , reliable , easy to produce energy source unlike wind , solar which ARE NOT so until then we are stuck with oil and it products.
so i guess we can all take it that you are in favor of the god of govt. taking over and running your life from birth to death. no thank you i prefer to keep my freedoms and not the yoke of an oppressive all consuming , controlling govt.
my how time change just a few short years ago most folks in america feared and were against a one world govt. now fools embrace it !
off subject a bit however you asked .
I see that you have bought into the RW conspiracy theory propaganda that scientists are in collusion with all the governments of the world to control your life. That is just radical. That is not only dumb it is dangerous because to do so they must denigrate the whole scientific community. Man, all the science academies and recognized scientific institutions recognize that fossil fuels are warming the planet. I personally am more willing to believe them than politicians who are in the pockets of vested interests. The use of ignorance, fear, prejudices, and other emotions are their greatest tools.

“Happy, warm and comfortable”

Since: Oct 10

Mountain retreat, SE Spain

#26993 Jul 10, 2013
Patriotic Bozo wrote:
Wouldn't you know it! Earthling posts on the thread and it dies.....
You posted that on May 19, 2013 and guess what, it's still alive.

#26994 Jul 10, 2013
Monday
DumBozo wrote:
It is folks like you that impede progress.
Seriously?

So what do you do to support change, apart from writing endless comments here, on a meaningless internet forum?

Location hidden

#26995 Jul 10, 2013
Earthling-1 wrote:
<quoted text>You posted that on May 19, 2013 and guess what, it's still alive.
It came to life after everyone thought you had vanished, you old bully.

Location hidden

#26996 Jul 10, 2013
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
I see that you have bought into the RW conspiracy theory propaganda that scientists are in collusion with all the governments of the world to control your life. That is just radical. That is not only dumb it is dangerous because to do so they must denigrate the whole scientific community. Man, all the science academies and recognized scientific institutions recognize that fossil fuels are warming the planet. I personally am more willing to believe them than politicians who are in the pockets of vested interests. The use of ignorance, fear, prejudices, and other emotions are their greatest tools.
really like the same fears , hatred, propaganda spread by the warmers ? of course not only warmers and their science is god and anyone with an opposing view or thought is to be silenced by any means necessary to further the cause . yet you contradic yourself you posted that you would be happy to let the govt's. of the world tell us all who , how ,where we should get our energy from and here you today demonise these same in the pocket of the warmer politicians or is it only the ones who may be friendly to oil coal nuke power sources and products.
and of course we know we can all trust the findings of these same non biased warmer scientist who for the most part will cook their information to suit their needed outcome as to stay employed by whatever group , collage , govt. agency is employing them this year . after all scientist have to earn a living too.
no i don't believe that ALL scientist are in the pocket of the world govt's. but i do believe that there the warmer scientist who DO BELIEVE that the planet can only support so many people and these same scientist believe that it would be better if mankind was removed from earth by any means necessary off and let mother nature run it's course .

Location hidden

#26997 Jul 10, 2013
<quoted text>really like the same fears , hatred, propaganda spread by the warmers ? of course not only warmers and their science is god and anyone with an opposing view or thought is to be silenced by any means necessary to further the cause . yet you contradic yourself you posted that you would be happy to let the govt's. of the world tell us all who , how ,where we should get our energy from and here you today demonise these same in the pocket of the warmer politicians or is it only the ones who may be friendly to oil coal nuke power sources and products.
and of course we know we can all trust the findings of these same non biased warmer scientist who for the most part will cook their information to suit their needed outcome as to stay employed by whatever group , collage , govt. agency is employing them this year . after all scientist have to earn a living too.
no i don't believe that ALL scientist are in the pocket of the world govt's. but i do believe that there the warmer scientist who DO BELIEVE that the planet can only support so many people and these same scientist believe that it would be better if mankind was removed from earth by any means necessary off and let mother nature run it's course .
You still sound like you have bought into the RW radical propaganda. It would behoove you to understand how science and scientists work. The idea that the climate science conclusions are simply a method for evil governments to control our lives is nothing more than a conspiracy promoted by the RW radicals as they try to scare folks into accepting them as a political force. Of course there is a limit on how many people the Earth can support. No doubt we are approaching that limit. I suppose some scientists might want all people removed from the earth but if so they are a minute minority and are not a force that must be recon with. What we must do is approach the problems in a sane and intelligent manner. Listening to the wacko Luddites is not how we should make our decisions.

#26998 Jul 12, 2013
Bozo wrote:
That is why we must change our energy system.
5 years after this thread was started and you catastrophists are still only talking about it.
Not one of you has any type of renewable energy system installed.
At least I have a solar water heater.

#26999 Jul 12, 2013
Bozo wrote:
I think things will hold together for me until it no longer matters ...
That moment in time passed long ago.
All you have left is Topix forum.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#27000 Jul 12, 2013
Earthling-1 wrote:
<quoted text>5 years after this thread was started and you catastrophists are still only talking about it.
Not one of you has any type of renewable energy system installed.
At least I have a solar water heater.
I beg to differ and contend that you are terribly misinformed.

#27001 Jul 12, 2013
cavemonkey wrote:
I beg to differ and contend that you are terribly misinformed.
Do you have any evidence?
No?
Thought not.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#27002 Jul 12, 2013
Earthling-1 wrote:
<quoted text>Do you have any evidence?
No?
Thought not.
Senile old fool. Have you forgotten?

I have told you and others for 5 years that I have a solar water heater. Now, following the tornado and the construction of my new home, I have a passively heated house. That's all the evidence I have or need; I'm not sending you pictures.

Do you have any evidence that you have a solar water heater?

And why do you have a solar water heater, if, indeed, you do have one? Gas, electric, or oil weren't good enough for an old fossil-fuel-loving denier?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Global Warming Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 22 min mdbuilder 62,982
News Last year officially one of the hottest on reco... 25 min Heretic 1
News Rising seas threaten a jewel of Trump's real es... 1 hr Frogface Kate 9
News Global warming breaks record, again 1 hr Frogface Kate 11
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 1 hr Hard work 10,805
News The Sunday Shows Ignored This Calamitous Global... 1 hr And Calamitous Oh My 1
News Scientists shocked by discovery about the ancie... 2 hr Shocked And Alarm... 1
More from around the web