Expert: We must act fast on warming

Sep 24, 2008 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Kansas.com

Droughts, melting ice caps and glaciers, rising sea levels and mass extinctions will all be a reality unless the U.S. and the world cut back on carbon emissions dramatically, said James Hansen, director of ...

Comments
24,821 - 24,840 of 27,012 Comments Last updated Tuesday

Since: Mar 09

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2012

Judged:

Earthling-1 wrote:
Ice cores from Summit show that melting events of this type occur about once every 150 years on average. With the last one happening in 1889, this event is right on time, says Lora Koenig, a Goddard glaciologist and a member of the research team analyzing the satellite data.
"On Earth Day, April 22, NASA scientists including Lora Koenig in Kangerlussuaq, Greenland, chatted with you about the Operation IceBridge mission.

Despite its name, Greenland is covered by a white ice sheet spanning an area equal to Alaska, Washington and Oregon combined. And it's losing that ice at a rate of more than 170 gigatons per year."

Since: Mar 09

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2012

Judged:

Earthling-1 wrote:
Ice cores from Summit show that melting events of this type occur about once every 150 years on average. With the last one happening in 1889, this event is right on time, says Lora Koenig, a Goddard glaciologist and a member of the research team analyzing the satellite data.
Finishing the quote;
..."But if we continue to observe melting events like this in upcoming years, it will be worrisome."

Since: Apr 10

Milwaukee, WI USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2012

Judged:

Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
Finishing the quote;
..."But if we continue to observe melting events like this in upcoming years, it will be worrisome."
Key words in your post, "But, if..."
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2012

Judged:

Steve Case wrote:
<quoted text>
Paula Koenig said that. It's already worrisome. She's wrong in saying that.

Read this by a NASA scientist Tom Wagner:

But, overall, we can't lose sight of the big picture, which is this. Greenland is losing a tremendous amount of ice in response to warming. We think it's mostly happening because the ocean around Greenland's getting warmer, but all the glaciers look like they've been speeding up and Greenland is losing 150 gigatons of ice a year over the last 20 years. That corresponds to about a third of a millimeter a year of sea level rise.

http://www.npr.org/2012/07/25/157382548/green...

“Happy, warm and comfortable”

Since: Oct 10

Mountain hideaway, SE Spain

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2012

Judged:

Steve Case wrote:
Bozo either missed those words, discountd, or simply ignored them.
Ifs, buts and maybes don't count when you're on a mission.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2012

Judged:

Earthling-1 wrote:
<quoted text>Bozo either missed those words, discountd, or simply ignored them.
Ifs, buts and maybes don't count when you're on a mission.
LOL. And you, dirtie, "discountd" many.

"But if" Lora hopes to go back to Greenland, we hope they don't waste money on her again.

Milwaukee, WI USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2012

Judged:

SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>Paula Koenig said that. It's already worrisome. She's wrong in saying that.
Read this by a NASA scientist Tom Wagner:
But, overall, we can't lose sight of the big picture, which is this. Greenland is losing a tremendous amount of ice in response to warming. We think it's mostly happening because the ocean around Greenland's getting warmer, but all the glaciers look like they've been speeding up and Greenland is losing 150 gigatons of ice a year over the last 20 years. That corresponds to about a third of a millimeter a year of sea level rise.
http://www.npr.org/2012/07/25/157382548/green...
Uh huh, there are reasons to doubt the bullshit that eminates from your side of things:
http://icecap.us/images/uploads/Ice_Core_Site...
In a warmer world, and it is warmer by 0.7C or so there will be be more precipitation, and that includes snow. If it snows more on Greenland then it means that more glacier ice will slide into the sea. I think the folks on your side fudge the snow fall numbers down and the ice loss numbers up. Afterall, it's the pattern we all can observe, if we open out eyes and look, in some of the other areas of "Global Warming" interest.

I found that pdf link on a Google search on "Greenland Alititude" it was number three.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2012

Judged:

Steve Case wrote:
Uh huh, there are reasons to doubt the bullshit that eminates from your side of things:
In a warmer world, and it is warmer by 0.7C or so there will be be more precipitation, and that includes snow. If it snows more on Greenland then it means that more glacier ice will slide into the sea. I think the folks on your side fudge the snow fall numbers down and the ice loss numbers up. Afterall, it's the pattern we all can observe, if we open out eyes and look, in some of the other areas of "Global Warming" interest.
I found that pdf link on a Google search on "Greenland Alititude" it was number three.
It's simple arithmetic, if more ice melts, sea level rise will rise faster.
Much ado about nothing, it's just a badly run scare machine.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2012

Judged:

Steve Case wrote:
<quoted text>
More and more bs from your side.

You are already the gordy of sea-level rise.

Simple. Lora should be banned from future Greenland missions .. even if she WERE tall and hot blonde.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2012

Judged:

Expert: We must act fast on warming

True is still true.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2012

Judged:

This thread is almost four years old and we still aren't acting fast on Glowbull warming.
ֿ

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2012

Judged:

I don't believe the alarmists understand climate at all.
kal

West Richland, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2012

Judged:

Earthling-1 wrote:
This thread is almost four years old and we still aren't acting fast on Glowbull warming.
ֿ
omg 'earthling', we might be in big trouble after all. omg.
http://wattsupwiththat.com/
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2012

Judged:

These deniers (3) listed above after my post are nuts. Imagine that they disagree with the experts even if they're funded by the notorious Koch Bros to study the available evidence, nothing but the evidence.

The IPCC reports that these deniers hate so much have been declared to be conservative or understating. The human-induced climate change is checking out to be worse than the IPCC predictions.

Sorry deniers, you are WRONG.

“Impeach Obama!”

Since: Jul 08

Memphis, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2012

Judged:

home in lincoln county wrote:
<quoted text> well just for starts i remember the hero of the warming movement Al Gore saying we were headed for global cooling not to long ago until he discovered there's more money in cooling ,yet he never practices what he preaches ,whats good for him is not for the rest of us .
in most cases as long as so called scientist are being funded by taxpayer money they have no right to with hold or make up their own biased facts .
my sources are much the same as yours except i read with an open mind and don't fall for the bull. i don't read or post other peoples works i use my own senses to read between the lines to find the truth .
get up from your chair look outside do you see anything different about the weather , planet , warmer ,cooler since the last time you were out ? i think you found no changes were evident ,just like the less than 1 degree temp. increase in the last 100 years no EFFECT .
The self-proclaimed "Theory of Global Warming" is just another attempt by government employees to rip off taxpayers and increase taxes on Wall Street corporations, which are already paying the highest corporate tax rates on the planet. Even Obamatroll has enough honesty to admit that, if not the Wall Street Occupation Trolls.
Bernard Forand

Cape Coral, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2012

Judged:

GLOBAL WARMING
For those that likes things to be simple. Lordy forbid, he would actually take the time to research Palo climatology. With its 3.5 Billion years of core samplings and the vast amount of experiments conducted for the past century. Little things like effects of gasses in the atmospheres, sun spots, sun temperatures, continental drift effects, volcanoes, planetary positioning within solar system and the galactic galaxy, earths orientation and its revolutions on its axis, etc., etc.. So lets see if he can handle something very simple.
Now try this call up your local meteorologist [weatherman] and ask them if they could give you the record highs for the past years and record lows for those same years and then figure it out. Try calling as many of these guys and compare their results. Keep in mind as you observe the patterns, which months they occurred and if the frequencies are increasing or decreasing or perhaps neither. Now how simple can you get! No big words here.
Perhaps even this is to complicated. How will we ever explain to the simpeltons about vegetation, virus, bacterial, animal, insects, etc., etc, and their migrations due to Global warming. Not to mention ocean displacements, sap running in a tree [Maple Syrup] marketing, or Hydrocarbon blooms and so on and so on..
Norfork Virginia going down want to buy some Real cheap homes. Give them a call theyll set you up. Then you could sit on the porch and sing hoe High is the water mama 4 feet and climbing. How high is the water mama 5 feet high and rising. Always had a hankering for Johnny Cash music.

“Impeach Obama!”

Since: Jul 08

Memphis, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2012

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
I don't believe the alarmists understand climate at all.
Even Obamatroll refuses to pass a "Global Warming Emergency Bill," because he knows it has been clearly discovered to be a hoax and a fraudulent financial scheme designed to siphon millions of dollars to Algore and his fraud co-conspirators.

If our houses at the beach are not covered by rising water in 10 years and we desperately sell our houses at the beach at a loss, can we sue Algore for fraud and also for our losses in property values?

Milwaukee, WI USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2012

Judged:

SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text> More and more bs from your side.
You are already the gordy of sea-level rise.
Simple. Lora should be banned from future Greenland missions .. even if she WERE tall and hot blonde.
Everybody jumps on the Gord, and he only has one tune. I have lots of tunes regarding sea level rise, and I haven't played them all yet. And the only answers I get from your side of things is either silence or an appeal to authority.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 29, 2012

Judged:

kal wrote:
omg 'earthling', we might be in big trouble after all. omg.
http://wattsupwiththat.com/
Hmm, we'll find out what's afoot in around 11 hours time, let's hope it's good news.
Thanks for the heads up, kal.
SoE

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 30, 2012

Earthling-1 wrote:
<quoted text>Did someone squeak, or was it a slob?
???...I'm sure i wouldn't know.
hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/acoustic/...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••