Who still takes global warming seriously?

Full story: Farmington Daily Times

Despite the recent discovery of the e-mails that resulted in "Climate Gate" and the fact this has been one of the coldest and harshest winters in many years, Gov.
Comments
30,281 - 30,300 of 30,821 Comments Last updated Jun 9, 2013
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2013

Judged:

Our future is melting before our very eyes.

Fiddling With The Data While The World Burns

Today, there is simply no excuse for the denial of climate science, often exemplified at its most egregious in the UK by the Daily Mail and Mail on Sunday, influential newspapers with large circulations of around two million each. Columnist James Delingpole and reporter David Rose can lay claim to being the worst and most persistent offenders. Delingpole wrongly asserted last October that the UK Met Office ‘has finally conceded what other scientists have known for ages: there is no evidence that “global warming” is happening.’ Rose pushed the same anti-science line that ‘global warming stopped 16 years ago’. Despite the Met Office explaining the science personally to Rose, last month he continued to publish the same discredited nonsense, even warning that ‘the Thames will be freezing over again‘. The Met Office has repeatedly rebutted error-strewn articles by these propagandists in the Mail and Mail on Sunday, pointing to ‘a series of factual inaccuraces‘,‘misleading information‘ and journalism that is ‘entirely misleading‘.

George Monbiot has highlighted how Rose’s climate science writing ‘show[s] the same uncritical reliance on dodgy sources that caused [his] catastrophic mistakes about Iraq’. To Rose’s credit, he confessed to feeling “shame and regret for having supported the Iraq war.” But worse than that, his journalism had ‘helped make the case for war, presenting “evidence” now known to be bogus of Saddam’s links with Al Qaeda and stocks of WMD.’ No such mea culpa has yet appeared, either from Rose or the Mail stable, for serial offences against climate science and professional standards in responsible reporting.

When significant parts of the corporate media are openly embracing, and indeed pushing, climate ‘skepticism’, is there any meaningful justification for this in the climate science? No. Geochemist James Lawrence Powell recently conducted an exhaustive study of the peer-reviewed literature on climate science. Going back over 20 years, his search yielded 13,950 scientific papers. Of these, only 24 “clearly rejected global warming or endorsed a cause other than carbon dioxide emissions for the observed warming of 0.8 degrees since the beginning of the industrial era.”
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2013

Judged:

SpaceBlues wrote:
Our future is melting before our very eyes.
Powell said:
Only one conclusion is possible: within science, global warming denial has virtually no influence. Its influence is instead on a misguided media, politicians all-too-willing to deny science for their own gain, and a gullible public.
Adding:
Scientists do not disagree about human-caused global warming. It is the ruling paradigm of climate science, in the same way that plate tectonics is the ruling paradigm of geology. We know that continents move. We know that the earth is warming and that human emissions of greenhouse gases are the primary cause.
The notable US science writer Phil Plait “marveled” at Powell’s “persistence in unearthing the facts and figures”, saying:
His premise was simple: if global warming isn’t real and there’s an actual scientific debate about it, that should be reflected in the scientific journals.
But Powell’s findings were clear, says Plait:
There is no scientific controversy over this. Climate change denial is purely, 100 per cent made-up political and corporate-sponsored crap.
When the loudest voices are fossil-fuel funded think tanks, when they don’t publish in journals but instead write error-laden op-eds in partisan venues, when they have to manipulate the data to support their point, then what they’re doing isn’t science. It’s nonsense. And worse, it’s dangerous nonsense. Because they’re fiddling with the data while the world burns.
Climate change denial is purely, 100 per cent made-up political and corporate-sponsored crap.
YES.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2013

Judged:

ALLOW ME TO REPEAT MYSELF:

Climate change denial is purely, 100 per cent made-up political and corporate-sponsored crap.

YES.
litesong

Lynnwood, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2013

Judged:

gcaveman1 wrote:
ALLOW ME TO REPEAT MYSELF:
I repeated my positive icons to your posts.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2013

Judged:

Wow this thread is still going strong. It looks like deniers will keep denying until the world melts around. Even then it won't matter to them b/c they don't give a crap about their future grand kids. They can't fathom a world past their next paycheck. These are simpleminded people with little vision of the future. No, they would rather trust a high school educated blogger than a PHd, b/c everyone's opinion is equal.

But the bigger truth is that this stuff is just too scary for some people to believe. They can't accept it b/c they're afraid to. I say this as a Christian and a Republican. I believe that we are morally obligated to be good stewards of this earth. Not screw it up for future generations.

Deniers can deny the existence of anything. There are still people who deny the moon landing or the holocaust. These people are the gift that keeps on giving to the oil companies.

And no I'm not a Rhino. I believe in conservatism, both financially and environmentally. The Republican party is the party of the clean air and water act. Why have we let the dems take that from us? It's time for R's to come back to our roots.
litesong

Lynnwood, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2013

Judged:

joe bob tacks wrote:
Republican party is the party of the clean air and water act. Why have we let the dems take that from us? It's time for R's to come back to our roots.
Glad to see you're a bit less radical than other re-pubic-lick-uns. But re-pubic-lick-uns weren't the party of clean air & water. You've been listening to too many re-pubic-lick-uns, telling how good re-pubic-lick-uns are.

Fairfax, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2013

Judged:

Joe Bob Attacks wrote:
Wow this thread is still going strong. It looks like deniers will keep denying until the world melts around. Even then it won't matter to them b/c they don't give a crap about their future grand kids. They can't fathom a world past their next paycheck. These are simpleminded people with little vision of the future. No, they would rather trust a high school educated blogger than a PHd, b/c everyone's opinion is equal.
But the bigger truth is that this stuff is just too scary for some people to believe. They can't accept it b/c they're afraid to. I say this as a Christian and a Republican. I believe that we are morally obligated to be good stewards of this earth. Not screw it up for future generations.
Deniers can deny the existence of anything. There are still people who deny the moon landing or the holocaust. These people are the gift that keeps on giving to the oil companies.
And no I'm not a Rhino. I believe in conservatism, both financially and environmentally. The Republican party is the party of the clean air and water act. Why have we let the dems take that from us? It's time for R's to come back to our roots.
Looks to me like you are a RINO, son. At least with today's Republicans. Time to change parties.

My parents (who were lifelong Republicans) switched because they have noted the Republican Party left them....
ObamaSUX

Calgary, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2013

Judged:

I have been gone for about a month and the AGW CULT MEMBERS on Topix are still crapping their pants and RUNNING FOR THE HILLS.

Gee, what a SHOCK!

According to Homo-ody:

"That is, THE ATMOSPHERE HELPS THE SUN WARM THE EARTH, even though it's significantly cooler than the surface. This is a scientific fact. There are not just thousands, but many millions,perhaps billions, of measurements that support this."

Funny how BILLIONS of Measurements seem to have somehow disappeared and there is not even ONE TO POST that shows:

- EVEN "ONE" MEASUREMENT, EVER DONE DONE, IN THE HISTORY OF MANKIND WHERE ANY COLD OBJECT HAS EVER "HEATED-UP" A WARMER OBJECT
- EVEN "ONE" MEASUREMENT WHERE THE COLDER ATMOSPHERE HAS "HEATED-UP" A WARMER EARTH

They DON'T EXIST!
----------
But, that is what happens when these AGW CULT MEMBERS are EXPOSED TO THE TRUTH that AGW is a FRAUD.

The AGW CULT is so PREDICTABLE, so STUPID and so PATHETIC.

I'll be back next month to rub your noses in your CULT sh*t again.

HAHAHA....What a HOOT these AGW CULT IDIOTS are!

Since: Apr 08

"the green troll"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2013

Judged:

ObamaSUX wrote:
I have been gone for about a month and the AGW CULT MEMBERS on Topix are still crapping their pants and RUNNING FOR THE HILLS.
Gee, what a SHOCK!
According to Homo-ody:
"That is, THE ATMOSPHERE HELPS THE SUN WARM THE EARTH, even though it's significantly cooler than the surface. This is a scientific fact. There are not just thousands, but many millions,perhaps billions, of measurements that support this."
Funny how BILLIONS of Measurements seem to have somehow disappeared and there is not even ONE TO POST that shows:
- EVEN "ONE" MEASUREMENT, EVER DONE DONE, IN THE HISTORY OF MANKIND WHERE ANY COLD OBJECT HAS EVER "HEATED-UP" A WARMER OBJECT
- EVEN "ONE" MEASUREMENT WHERE THE COLDER ATMOSPHERE HAS "HEATED-UP" A WARMER EARTH
They DON'T EXIST!
----------
But, that is what happens when these AGW CULT MEMBERS are EXPOSED TO THE TRUTH that AGW is a FRAUD.
Cuckoo! Cuckoo!
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2013

Judged:

ObamaSUX wrote:
Gee, what a SHOCK!
According to Homo-ody:
They DON'T EXIST!
----------
You ought to switch doctors and take off for another month.

Either the therapy or the meds are not working.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2013

Judged:

ObamaSUX wrote:
Gee, what a SHOCK!
According to Homo-ody:
They DON'T EXIST!
----------
GordSUXObama

Clearly, a month off hasn't helped you understand radiative forcing. You're much too crazy for me, as noted by others. Why don't you try to read a bit?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiative_forcin...

“dening those who deny nature. ”

Since: Jun 07

Norfolk va

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2013

Judged:

Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
Biosphere 2 failed because of personnel problems. That mission ended prematurely when disputes between the crew and the management erupted into hostility.
And they didn't need to pump O2. When one starts looking up reputable sources you do not hear that much about personnel problems but enviromental ones. Sounds like the personnel problems had to do with issues like an oxygen shortage.

http://www.nytimes.com/1993/01/05/science/the...

http://biology.kenyon.edu/slonc/bio3/2000proj...

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1029/94...
ObamaSUX

Calgary, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2013

Judged:

HomoSapiensLaptopicus wrote:
<quoted text>
GordSUXObama
Clearly, a month off hasn't helped you understand radiative forcing. You're much too crazy for me, as noted by others. Why don't you try to read a bit?
What Homo-ody lacks in intelligence, he more than makes up for in stupidity.

Why the HELL don't YOU READ THE CRAP LINKS YOU POST?

Radiative forcing
"In climate science, radiative forcing is defined as the difference between radiant energy received by the earth and energy radiated back to space. Typically, radiative forcing is quantified at the TROPOPAUSE in units of watts per square meter of earth's surface. A positive forcing (more incoming energy) warms the system, while negative forcing (more outgoing energy) cools it. Causes of radiative forcing include changes in insolation (incident solar radiation) and in concentrations of radiatively active GASES and aerosols."

That means that the GASES (CO2) in the COLD Atmosphere (reference is the temperature of the COLD TROPOPAUSE) is HEATING a WARMER EARTH, you IDIOT!

First, Heat DOES NOT FLOW from the Cold Atmosphere to a Warmer Earth.

“Second Law of Thermodynamics: It is NOT POSSIBLE for heat to flow from a colder body to a warmer body without any work having been done to accomplish this flow. Energy will not flow spontaneously from a low temperature object to a higher temperature object.”
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/th...

DUH!

Further, it is IMPOSSIBLE for the Earth to Radiate any MORE or LESS than the Earth ABSORBS as the Stefan-Boltzman Law CLEARLY SHOWS and would also be a VIOLATION of The Law of Conservation of Energy that states "Energy Cannot Be Created or Destroyed" meaning that "Energy In = Energy Out", you IDIOT.

Ever hear about the Stefan-Boltzmann Law. IDIOT?

P/A = BC*T^4 (w/m^2)

If the temperature of the Earth is T then that means it has "Absorbed" P/A w/m^2 and will "Radiate" P/A w/m^2.(Energy In = Energy Out)

The Stefan-Boltzmann Law and The Law of Conservation of Energy is so SIMPLE TO UNDERSTAND except for STUPID AGWer's like YOU!
----------
According to Homo-ody:

They DON'T EXIST!....and THAT'S WHY YOU CAN'T POST THEM.

Isn't that RIGHT, you AGW A-HOLE?
----------
All you and your AGW CULT can do is RUN FOR THE HILLS.

That is what happens when these AGW CULT MEMBERS are EXPOSED TO THE TRUTH that AGW is a FRAUD.

I'll be back later this month to rub your noses in your CULT sh*t again.

“dening those who deny nature. ”

Since: Jun 07

Norfolk va

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2013

Judged:

gcaveman1 wrote:
<quoted text>
1. You are stupid. A greenhouse tight enough to keep out MOLECULES of CO2 would not be a greenhouse at all, but a hollow glass sphere. Yes, automatic watering systems are used, but not in all greenhouses. How about harvesting? Will that be done by some Teener robots?
2. You are stupid. Some tropical plants (orchids and bromeliads, for instance) grow in the cool understory of the jungle. They absolutely cannot stand constant sun and high temperatures. Different plants require different greenhouse environments. In your black and white world, all plants need the same amount of water, sun, nutrients, and humidity. WRONG! Even the same plant can require different amounts of these things at different stages of the plant's life. Do a little research on commercial or residential greenhouses, especially on greenhouse equipment catalogs, and you'll see the vast assortment of fans, vents, shades, and misters that are offered due to the fact that GREENHOUSES NEED VENTILATION! Look at the variety of heat storage methods to hold in the radiant heat gain for nightime after the heated air has been cooled.
3. You are stupid. Every house and office plant is not the same. Few thrive without careful attention. A schefflera is not a hothouse tomato. A greenhouse is not an office. You say the air will be moving because it's heated and cooled, but you are arguing here about not having the cooling!
4. You are stupid.
There are lean-to, stand-alone, dugout, solar, and automated greenhouses, ranging in size from a few square feet to several acres, at all non-tropical latitudes, growing nearly every kind of plant man has domesticated and some he has not. When you say that greenhouses don't need ventilation, you are proving beyond a shadow of a doubt that
you are stupid.
But we've come to expect that of you.
Thinking must be diffcult for you so I try to keep it simple for you.

While it may not be a glass sphere if it is tight enought it will still cause a shortage of CO2 as plants consume it faster than it can be replenished. Think of it like a strainer. If you were using a shot glass to pour water into the strainer it would never fill up. On the other hand if you empty a bucket worth all at once it would be full for at least a second or two. Does the fact that the strainer is full mean that it is water tight and a good way to carry water, no. It just means that the amount coming in was more than could drain out. What you would have in the hot house would be the same if you didn't open up the vents to let air flow.

Cool is a subjective term. Jungles are usually found near the equator where it is warm year round. Where 65F would be considered quite chilly. Meanwhile my strawberry plants would consider that warm right now. Which means they need to heat to thrive. You also talk about how they store heat, number one method is to shut the place up tight during the day and let that heat carry it through the night. I also noticed that you did not mention how you were storing the heat. Many hothouses in this area need additional heat at night if the plants are to survive. You talk about a black and white world when it comes to plants and yet you seem to forget that some plants like it warmer. That they do better when hot than cold.

Yes, hot houses can be any size from little things you can carry to some covering acres. But they all work off the same priniples of keeping plants warmer than the outside area. They need to be vented unless you have some animal life. We even have a botanical garden down the road and asked them and they seem to disagree with you about needing to vent heat and claimed that they needed to keep the CO2 levels up.
mc

Danielson, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2013

Judged:

Do your part and reduce your contribution by using Some green products from greenenergyefficientproducts.com . Greenenergyefficientproducts.com will save you money even if you don't believe in global warming!
PHD

Overton, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2013

Judged:

Good luck with that your trying to appeal to a bunch of empty chairs. Look at the bright side we save and they pay.

Fairfax, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2013

Judged:

SUXObama always brings his 9-18 clones along with him.

Wonder how long it takes him to log on and off under each id to vote.

When I saw him do it once, it was within a window of 15 minutes.
PHD

Overton, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

Judged:

Good luck with that your trying to appeal to a bunch of empty chairs. Look at the bright side we save and they pay. One exception above called the commander clone.

Fairfax, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

Judged:

PHD wrote:
Good luck with that your trying to appeal to a bunch of empty chairs..
You mean the ones that all of SUXObama's pseudo names on them...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2013

Judged:

ObamaSUX wrote:
<quoted text>
What Homo-ody lacks in intelligence, he more than makes up for in stupidity.
Why the HELL don't YOU READ THE CRAP LINKS YOU POST?
Radiative forcing
"In climate science, radiative forcing is defined as the difference between radiant energy received by the earth and energy radiated back to space. Typically, radiative forcing is quantified at the TROPOPAUSE in units of watts per square meter of earth's surface. A positive forcing (more incoming energy) warms the system, while negative forcing (more outgoing energy) cools it. Causes of radiative forcing include changes in insolation (incident solar radiation) and in concentrations of radiatively active GASES and aerosols."
That means that the GASES (CO2) in the COLD Atmosphere (reference is the temperature of the COLD TROPOPAUSE) is HEATING a WARMER EARTH, you IDIOT!
First, Heat DOES NOT FLOW from the Cold Atmosphere to a Warmer Earth.
“Second Law of Thermodynamics: It is NOT POSSIBLE for heat to flow from a colder body to a warmer body without any work having been done to accomplish this flow. Energy will not flow spontaneously from a low temperature object to a higher temperature object.”
DUH!
Further, it is IMPOSSIBLE for the Earth to Radiate any MORE or LESS than the Earth ABSORBS as the Stefan-Boltzman Law CLEARLY SHOWS and would also be a VIOLATION of The Law of Conservation of Energy that states "Energy Cannot Be Created or Destroyed" meaning that "Energy In = Energy Out", you IDIOT.
Ever hear about the Stefan-Boltzmann Law. IDIOT?
P/A = BC*T^4 (w/m^2)
If the temperature of the Earth is T then that means it has "Absorbed" P/A w/m^2 and will "Radiate" P/A w/m^2.(Energy In = Energy Out)
The Stefan-Boltzmann Law and The Law of Conservation of Energy is so SIMPLE TO UNDERSTAND except for STUPID AGWer's like YOU!
----------
According to Homo-ody:
They DON'T EXIST!....and THAT'S WHY YOU CAN'T POST THEM.
Isn't that RIGHT, you AGW A-HOLE?
----------
All you and your AGW CULT can do is RUN FOR THE HILLS.
That is what happens when these AGW CULT MEMBERS are EXPOSED TO THE TRUTH that AGW is a FRAUD.
I'll be back later this month to rub your noses in your CULT sh*t again.
Cuckoo! Cuckoo!! Cuckoo!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Global Warming Discussions

Search the Global Warming Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say (Jul '10) 2 hr harmonious 32,321
A few degrees matter a lot 3 hr litesong 75
Will it, won't it? Part 3 (Aug '12) 5 hr litesong 1,538
Scott briefly sits with climate scientists 6 hr SpaceBlues 1
Mega Aussie solar project falls on global warmi... 6 hr Jim the Hoax Denier 2
Global Warming Standup Comedy (Apr '07) 6 hr mememine69 3,330
New NASA sunspot predictions (Sep '09) 8 hr SpaceBlues 7
•••
•••