Who still takes global warming seriou...

Who still takes global warming seriously?

There are 30923 comments on the Farmington Daily Times story from Jan 28, 2010, titled Who still takes global warming seriously?. In it, Farmington Daily Times reports that:

Despite the recent discovery of the e-mails that resulted in "Climate Gate" and the fact this has been one of the coldest and harshest winters in many years, Gov.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Farmington Daily Times.

SpaceBlues

United States

#30286 Sep 25, 2012
Steve Case wrote:
<quoted text>
All that classroom demonstration (it's not an experiment) shows is that CO2 absorbs IR from a heat lamp at several hundred degrees Fahrenheit. The Greenhouse effect occurs in the stratosphere at temperatures of about MINUS 100°F.
That isn't to say that the "Greenhouse" effect isn't real, it's just the the classroom "experiment" is meaningless.
In order to demonstrate the "Green House" effect accurately you'd have to use something cold like a brick of dry ice as a source of radiation and then show that CO2 absorbs at that 15 micron wavelength.
You tried to address his nonsense. Thanks for that.

Now: "it's just the the classroom "experiment" is meaningless." Why meaningless?

Also: "In order to demonstrate the "Green House" effect accurately you'd have to use something cold like a brick of dry ice as a source of radiation and then show that CO2 absorbs at that 15 micron wavelength." Are you sure? Because you are WRONG.
PHD

Houston, TX

#30287 Sep 25, 2012
Earthling-1 wrote:
<quoted text>Dose of what?
Do tell all remember you refused to use protection.You do have a dose of useless babble tainted with hate covered with spam cut and paste.

“Denying those who deny nature”

Since: Jun 07

Norfolk va

#30288 Sep 26, 2012
Fair Game wrote:
<quoted text>
Please cite.
Do your own research. That way you can learn something new.
factologist

Huntsville, AL

#30289 Sep 26, 2012
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>
Also: "In order to demonstrate the "Green House" effect accurately you'd have to use something cold like a brick of dry ice as a source of radiation and then show that CO2 absorbs at that 15 micron wavelength." Are you sure? Because you are WRONG.
Yes, he is wrong. To paraphrase a famous lawyer; If it emits, CO2 gets!
The real deal is, if a photon of the correct wavelength and energy level hits a CO2 molecule, it will be absorbed by the CO2 molecule. The molecule will then emit a photon with a different wavelength-longer- and energy level . No matter the physical temperature of the emitting body.
"Since IR radiation is an electromagnetic wave, it has both a spectral and directional dependence. Spectral dependence of IR heating needs to be considered because energy coming out of an emitter is composed of different wavelengths, and the fraction of the radiation in each band is dependent on a number of factors such as the temperature of the emitter, emissivity of the emitter, etc."
Sawyer

United States

#30290 Sep 26, 2012
Richard Muller, a University of California (Berkeley) physicist, was convinced by his own analysis of climate change data that global warming is real and humans are causing it.

"Call me a converted skeptic," he wrote in an op-ed published in the The New York Times. "Following an intensive research effort involving a dozen scientists, I concluded that global warming was real and that the prior estimates of the rate of warming were correct. I'm now going a step further: Humans are almost entirely the cause."

http://realisticbeinggreen.wordpress.com/2012...

“Happy, warm and comfortable”

Since: Oct 10

Mountain retreat, SE Spain

#30291 Sep 26, 2012
Sawyer, always late to arrive at the wrong address.
-
November 3, 2011

“It is ironic if some people treat me as a traitor, since I was never a skeptic — only a scientific skeptic,” he said in a recent email exchange with The Huffington Post.“Some people called me a skeptic because in my best-seller ‘Physics for Future Presidents’ I had drawn attention to the numerous scientific errors in the movie ‘An Inconvenient Truth.’ But I never felt that pointing out mistakes qualified me to be called a climate skeptic.”

Richard Muller, Climate Researcher, Navigates The Volatile Line Between Science And Skepticism

December 17, 2003

“Let me be clear. My own reading of the literature and study of paleoclimate suggests strongly that carbon dioxide from burning of fossil fuels will prove to be the greatest pollutant of human history. It is likely to have severe and detrimental effects on global climate.”
SpaceBlues

United States

#30292 Sep 26, 2012
dirtie calls himself dishonestly a skeptic so he would not understand what a scientific skeptic is. He's just like the gang members <brian, steve, moth> a mere paid denier.

They were picked out clearly for their moral and education failures.
SpaceBlues

United States

#30293 Sep 26, 2012
dirtie is such a loser that he thinks

NYT Published: July 28, 2012

is not later than

November 3, 2011.

He also does not understand that any physics prof would definitely know "carbon dioxide from burning of fossil fuels will prove to be the greatest pollutant of human history. It is likely to have severe and detrimental effects on global climate.”

What a loser!
litesong

Everett, WA

#30294 Sep 26, 2012
SpaceBlues wrote:
He's just like the gang members,'brian_g stumble butt dumpster diver','steve's case of the itch', motheaten........
I assume you mean the pals of 'steenking piddling diddling middling mudling mudslinger dirtling', in the slimy steenking filthy vile reprobate rooting(& rotting) racist pukey proud pig & alleged or proud threatener brian_g stumble butt dumpster diver 'ganghood'........ that gang & members?

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#30295 Sep 26, 2012
Steve Case wrote:
All that classroom demonstration (it's not an experiment) shows is that CO2 absorbs IR from a heat lamp at several hundred degrees Fahrenheit.
Why isn't it an experiment? It has an independent variable, the difference in CO2 between the two containers and a dependent variable, the difference in temperature. What makes you think that's not an experiment?

Steve Case wrote:
The Greenhouse effect occurs in the stratosphere at temperatures of about MINUS 100°F.
That's true, most of the effect happens high in the very cold atmosphere.

Steve Case wrote:
That isn't to say that the "Greenhouse" effect isn't real, it's just the the classroom "experiment" is meaningless.
What makes it meaninglessness?

Steve Case wrote:
In order to demonstrate the "Green House" effect accurately you'd have to use something cold like a brick of dry ice as a source of radiation and then show that CO2 absorbs at that 15 micron wavelength.
It takes the same amount of energy to raise a mass of gas from -100°F to -95°F that it takes to raise the temperature of the same mass of gas from 95°F to 100°F.

Have you found a citation for your proposed experiment? It sounds interesting.
Sawyer

United States

#30296 Sep 26, 2012
Earthling-1 wrote:
-
<quoted text>
You missed the point. What makes the New York Times article intriquing is not the date the article appeared, but Muller's statement that humans are "almost entirely the cause" of global warming. And THIS from a physicist whose research has been funded by Charles Koch of the Koch brothers, the right-wing billionaire known for funding climate skeptic groups like the Heartland Institute.

You've heard the saying, "Money can't buy you love?" Well, it can't buy advocates either.
PHD

Houston, TX

#30297 Sep 26, 2012
Earthling-1 wrote:
-
<quoted text>
The dirtling never arrives only the useless babble.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#30298 Sep 26, 2012
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>On the graph, it shows a 100% CO2 atmosphere(labeled Carbon Dioxide) versus a 0.0385% CO2 atmosphere (labeled Air). The maximum temperature difference was 5°C for a doubling of CO2 more than 11 times, or a greenhouse gas warming increase of 0.454°C every time atmospheric CO2 is doubled.
Look for yourself, here's Fair Game's URL again:
http://www.picotech.com/experiments/global/gl...
<quoted text>It tells me, there's nothing you can do to mitigate global warming. My conclusion is, the last thing you should do is restrict man made CO2 output. I think this experiment proves, we'll have to adapt to climate change, not mitigate it by controlling man made greenhouse gas emissions.
What does it tell you?
I think we're looking at two different pages and the one you're looking at is in your mind.

What it should have told you, guy, is that we're going to have to mitigate and adapt!

The conservative/republicant response is always black or white. They cannot imagine combinations. They like shades of gray sometimes too, if it serves their purpose, but you'll never hear of them dreaming of rainbows.

Brain G! tells us that 98% of active climate scientists are wrong...don't know what they are doing. Brain G? thinks he knows more than they simply because they haven't done the experiment. But Brain Geewhiz has been shown experiments and he's been shown proof, but he works for the Company, and has to say what they want him to say. Brian has no brain, gee, he's a robot.

Why doesn't brian geehawmule do the experiment and win the Nobel?
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#30299 Sep 26, 2012
Sawyer wrote:
<quoted text>
Postscript:
Kuru, a prion disease, is an incurable degenerative neurological disorder. Infectious proteins attack the brain creating holes so that the brain resembles a sponge. As the disease progresses and more brain damage ocurrs, sufferers, among other symptoms, are prone to fits of laughter. Hence the term, "the laughing disease."
It is a rare disorder first discovered among people from New Guinea who practiced a form of cannibalism. The disease was spread by eating contaminated human brain tissue as part of a funeral ritual. The prohibition of endocannibalism in the 1950s led to a decline in reported cases. The disease however has persisted into the present century.
Sounds a lot like "mad cow".

Cows get it from eating culled parts from other cows, including brains.

Cows should not eat other cows. People should not eat other people.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#30300 Sep 26, 2012
factologist wrote:
<quoted text>Another's perspective of John Christy.
http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2008/05/22/2...
From factologist:

let me quote further from the judge:

There is widespread acceptance of the basic premises that underlie Hansen’s testimony. Plaintiffs’ own expert, Dr. Christy, agrees with the IPCC’s assessment that in the light of new evidence and taking into account remaining uncertainties, most of the observed warming over the last fifty years is likely to have been due to the increase in GHG concentrations. Tr. vol. 14-A, 145:18-148:7 (Christy, May 4, 2007). Christy agrees that the increase in carbon dioxide is real and primarily due to the burning of fossil fuels, which changes the radiated balance of the atmosphere and has an impact on the planet’s surface temperature toward a warming rate. Id. at 168:11-169:10.

Christy also agreed that climate is a nonlinear system, that is, that its responses to forcings may be disproportionate, and rapid changes would be more difficult for human beings and other species to adapt to than more gradual changes. Id. at 175:2-174:11. He further agreed with Hansen that the regulation’s effect on radiative forcing will be proportional to the amount of emissions reductions, and that any level of emissions reductions will have at least some effect on the radiative forcing of the climate.

So Christy will not perjure himself in a court of law, but he might tell Brain G? or dirtling anything?
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#30301 Sep 26, 2012
Earthling-1 wrote:
<quoted text>Dose of what?
I'd wish a dose of the clap on you, old man, but you'd first have to get it up and then you might have fun getting it. I wouldn't want to wish either of those gifts upon you.
gcaveman1

Bay Springs, MS

#30302 Sep 26, 2012
Earthling-1 wrote:
-
<quoted text>
DELETE!
litesong

Everett, WA

#30303 Sep 26, 2012
gcaveman1 wrote:
Cows should not eat other cows. People should not eat other people.
People could eat 'steenking piddling diddling middling mudling mudslinger dirtling' without ill effects, besides the smell.... for two reasons.

First, he is 'eart hling(alien with no affinity to Earth)', which means it would not be cannibalism. Second, he is 'earthling has no brain', which means he couldn't give anyone a brain disease.

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#30304 Sep 27, 2012
gcaveman1 wrote:
I think we're looking at two different pages and the one you're looking at is in your mind. What it should have told you, guy, is that we're going to have to mitigate and adapt! The conservative/republicant response is always black or white. They cannot imagine combinations. They like shades of gray sometimes too, if it serves their purpose, but you'll never hear of them dreaming of rainbows.
We're going to have difficulty if we rely on climate change mitigation, since there's no evidence it exists.

gcaveman1 wrote:
Brain G! tells us that 98% of active climate scientists are wrong...don't know what they are doing. Brain G? thinks he knows more than they simply because they haven't done the experiment. But Brain Geewhiz has been shown experiments and he's been shown proof, but he works for the Company, and has to say what they want him to say. Brian has no brain, gee, he's a robot.
I've said nothing about "98% of active climate scientists" except to note there are no experimental tests of climate change mitigation.

gcaveman1 wrote:
Why doesn't brian geehawmule do the experiment and win the Nobel?
I'm not a scientist; I'll leave experimental design to them. I'll examine their work, not do it for them.

“Happy, warm and comfortable”

Since: Oct 10

Mountain retreat, SE Spain

#30305 Sep 27, 2012
Sawyer wrote:
You missed the point. What makes the New York Times article intriquing is not the date the article appeared, but Muller's statement that humans are "almost entirely the cause" of global warming.
What don't you understand about the date of Muller's comment in 2003 that he was never a climate change sceptic?
December 17, 2003

“Let me be clear. My own reading of the literature and study of paleoclimate suggests strongly that carbon dioxide from burning of fossil fuels will prove to be the greatest pollutant of human history. It is likely to have severe and detrimental effects on global climate.”
Sawyer wrote:
And THIS from a physicist whose research has been funded by Charles Koch of the Koch brothers, the right-wing billionaire known for funding climate skeptic groups like the Heartland Institute.
You've heard the saying, "Money can't buy you love?" Well, it can't buy advocates either.
Don't make a mountain out of a sand castle.
The only Muller study funded by the Kochs, was the BEST project.

Alarmists have twisted Muller's words so that he appears to have been a climate sceptic, which he never was.

"I was never a skeptic" - Richard Muller, 2011
http://www.populartechnology.net/2012/06/trut...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Global Warming Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say (Jul '10) 58 min WHAT 37,113
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 1 hr Into The Night 11,286
Global Cooling (Apr '15) Thu Into The Night 2,530
News Global warming made Paris floods far more likel... (Jun '16) Thu Into The Night 152
2016 year to date (Apr '16) Wed Patriot AKA Bozo 195
News Soros Says U.S. Carbon Cap Would Spur Billions ... (Jan '10) Wed Mail order bride 39
Professor denies global warming theory (May '09) Wed Conspiracy Among ... 2
More from around the web