California sues over plan to scrap ca...

California sues over plan to scrap car emission standards

There are 35 comments on the The Republic story from May 1, 2018, titled California sues over plan to scrap car emission standards. In it, The Republic reports that:

California and 16 other states sued the Trump administration Tuesday over its plan to scrap Obama-era auto-emissions standards that would require vehicles to get significantly higher gas mileage by 2025. At issue is a move by Environmental Protection Agency administrator Scott Pruitt to roll back 2012 rules aimed at curbing greenhouse gas emissions.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Republic.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Root Cause

United States

#1 May 1, 2018
Trump doesn’t breathe air. So he doesn’t care.
Hypocrite watch

United States

#2 May 1, 2018
Root Cause wrote:
Trump doesn’t breathe air. So he doesn’t care.
You're an azzhole. I can tell by your remark.

I'll Remind you that Obama’s idiotic partisan vendetta against hydrocarbon producers is keeping America from decades of economic growth, crushing OPEC, and ending Islamic Terrorism

Are you aware that one hybrid car is more environmentally harmful to dispose of than a ton of Styrofoam and that the Toyota Prius had more recalls due to deadly accidents in one year than the Chevrolet Corvette has had total in the last 60 years.
Spocko

Oakland, CA

#3 May 1, 2018
Hypocrite watch wrote:
<quoted text>

You're an azzhole. I can tell by your remark.

I'll Remind you that Obama’s idiotic partisan vendetta against hydrocarbon producers is keeping America from decades of economic growth, crushing OPEC, and ending Islamic Terrorism

Are you aware that one hybrid car is more environmentally harmful to dispose of than a ton of Styrofoam and that the Toyota Prius had more recalls due to deadly accidents in one year than the Chevrolet Corvette has had total in the last 60 years.
What happened to you, why are you institutionalized?
Kilroy

Edison, NJ

#4 May 1, 2018
Any car that is disposed of has an impact on the environment. Just look at the junkyards and drive down a rural road and you'll see cars disposed of in the middle of the field. Gasoline and oil disposal.

The issue is emissions that destroy the ozone. The issue is if the ozone goes so does life.

A me attitude that just cares about what in it for me does nothing for your kids future well being because it won't be me.

Ozone depletion is a fact

The worst recall - Ford Motor, which in 1980 recalled 21 million vehicles from 10 model years
investigators linked to 6,000 accidents and nearly 100 deaths

“Yeah, but...”

Since: Sep 11

MILKY WAY

#5 May 1, 2018
The Democrats in California and 16 other states are insisting their State's rights are being infringed by the Federal Government, just as the Democrats did in 1860.
Some things never change.

Since: Mar 09

The Left Coast

#6 May 1, 2018
Simple solution, CA should just add a 45% tax on any car sold there that does not meet state standards.

“Watching The Snowflakes Rant”

Since: Feb 17

Location hidden

#7 May 2, 2018
SirPrize wrote:
The Democrats in California and 16 other states are insisting their State's rights are being infringed by the Federal Government, just as the Democrats did in 1860.
Some things never change.
Funny, when Obama imposed his tyrannical EPA rules on all the states, it wasn't a States rights issue.
whiney beech

Bloomingdale, IN

#8 May 2, 2018
RustyS wrote:
Simple solution, CA should just add a 45% tax on any car sold there that does not meet state standards.
Or import non gas passing horses, and mules.
Birdzilla

Etna, CA

#9 May 2, 2018
Our state has become so realistic Moonbeam and Newsome and the rest of them belong in prison for the rest of their lives this idiotic lawsuit is based upon a a lie
whiney beech

Bloomingdale, IN

#10 May 2, 2018
CodeTalker wrote:
<quoted text>
Funny, when Obama imposed his tyrannical EPA rules on all the states, it wasn't a States rights issue.
Well the Soci, ops, State of California were Ok with Obammas regs. EPA is a National agency, not state by state.
See The Light

United States

#11 May 2, 2018
Moonbeam has far more important things to worry about. Within the State he is Responsible for......
See The Light

United States

#12 May 2, 2018
RustyS wrote:
The United States has its own set of emissions standards that all new vehicles must meet. In the United States, emissions standards are managed by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).... On May 19, 2009 news reports indicate that the Federal EPA will largely adopt California's standards on greenhouse gas emissions.

Since: Aug 15

Seattle, WA

#13 May 2, 2018
Kilroy wrote:
The issue is emissions that destroy the ozone.
Auto emissions MAKE ozone, they don't destroy it.
Kilroy wrote:
The issue is if the ozone goes so does life.
The ozone layer isn't going anywhere. It isn't thinning either.
Kilroy wrote:
A me attitude that just cares about what in it for me does nothing for your kids future well being because it won't be me.
Pascal's Wager...a fallacy.
Kilroy wrote:
Ozone depletion is a fact
Not a fact. Learn what a 'fact' is. A 'fact is not a Universal Truth.

The ozone layer is not being depleted. Ozone is created in the lower stratosphere by the action of UV-B light upon oxygen. It is destroyed again in the upper stratosphere by the action of UV-C light on the ozone (converting it back to oxygen).

As long as you have sunlight and oxygen, you WILL have ozone. We couldn't destroy the ozone layer even if we wanted to.

Concerning CFC's, chlorine, bromine, fluorine, etc:

CFC's are heavier than air. They are also insert in the presence of ozone.

Chlorine, bromine, fluorine, etc. they appear on the surface are extremely reactive gases. They will react with something else long before they drift up into the ozone layer. Even if they did, the same UV-C energy that destroys ozone will also destroy the lone chlorine, bromine, or fluorine atom (by oxidizing it).

See the Chapman cycle. It also explains why there is a temperature inversion in the stratosphere (ozone creation and destruction).

The reason you have a hole in Antarctica in June is because it's winter there...no sunlight. A similar hole opens up in the Arctic winter for the same reason. Big hairy deal.

Seattle, WA

#14 May 2, 2018
See The Light wrote:
<quoted text>

The United States has its own set of emissions standards that all new vehicles must meet. In the United States, emissions standards are managed by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).... On May 19, 2009 news reports indicate that the Federal EPA will largely adopt California's standards on greenhouse gas emissions.
There is no such thing as a greenhouse gas. No gas or vapor has the capability to warm or cool the Earth.
See The Light

United States

#15 May 2, 2018
I dunno myself...Just a dumb deplorable...lol...I can state the obvious...But who knows anymore. Someone always saying he/she is wrong.....If I said it was a nice day. Some tard would disagree and find some petty b.s. to whine about.....I personally think Ca Moonbeam should focus. On real life chit....
Spocko

Oakland, CA

#16 May 2, 2018
Into The Night wrote:
<quoted text>

There is no such thing as a greenhouse gas. No gas or vapor has the capability to warm or cool the Earth.
Your a f-ing moron! It is called "greenhouse gas" because it traps the heat which then warms up the planet's surface by absorbing infrared radiation, e.g., carbon dioxide and chlorofluorocarbons.

Since: Mar 09

The Left Coast

#17 May 2, 2018
See The Light wrote:
<quoted text>

Thankfully, 2009 is long gone.
Kilroy

Abilene, TX

#19 May 2, 2018
Auto emissions MAKE ozone, they don't destroy it.

In the past car air conditioning systems used CFC -12 which was damaging the good ozone in the stratosphere and considered ozone depletion. That why they use alternatives to CFC -12

The ozone layer isn't going anywhere. It isn't thinning either.
It is no longer being depleted as it was 20 years ago because the US and other countries started banning items that were causing the problem including car air conditioning systems using CFC -12

Pascal's Wager...a fallacy.

Believing in God is a safe bet because you really have nothing to lose
I would just add that as an individual you have the right to choose how you believe in God

The ozone layer is not being depleted. Ozone is created in the lower stratosphere by the action of UV-B light upon oxygen. It is destroyed again in the upper stratosphere by the action of UV-C light on the ozone (converting it back to oxygen).

Good ozone at the top - is making a comback and is no longer being depleted as it was 20 years ago. Thats because a few people sounded the warning and governments took notice and did thinks
So you can thank the government for something

Bad ozone at the bottom. This concerns smog and the problems that it cause to human health and the environment on earth. Bad ozone at the bottom is not being depleted. Its just being affected by Human's to the point of causing health and environmental problems.

As long as you have sunlight and oxygen, you WILL have ozone. We couldn't destroy the ozone layer even if we wanted to.

Yes you can destroy the ozone at the top. The hole in the ozone has been documented and yes it has receeded in current years. The EPA has a list of items that can do it that are MANMADE

Concerning CFC's, chlorine, bromine, fluorine, etc:

CFC's are heavier than air. They are also insert in the presence of ozone.

CFC - 12 a refrigerant is known to cause ozone depletion and that why Montreal Protocol, bans its manufacture precisly because it was depleting the ozone at the upper level

See the Chapman cycle. It also explains why there is a temperature inversion in the stratosphere (ozone creation and destruction).

I am not familiar with Chapman cycle but it appears to be a cycle in nature to explain how it works

It am assuming it doesn't address what Man can do to the environment if no one tries to control these activities OR CARES that the environment can be damage by the activities of man or businesses that are out to make a buck with no concern for anything else.

This includes the children who will inherit the earth.

To get back to the topic at hand. California is concerned with emmissions at the lower lever. Smog and other contaminents that they have to breath and damge the environment.

Yes the environment can recover from things in its cycles but it is not infinite and things can break the cycle.

Seattle, WA

#20 May 2, 2018
Spocko wrote:
Your a f-ing moron! It is called "greenhouse gas" because it traps the heat
It is not possible to slow or trap heat.
Spocko wrote:
which then warms up the planet's surface by absorbing infrared radiation,
Absorption is not warming, not even when that absorption results in conversion to thermal energy.
Spocko wrote:
e.g., carbon dioxide and chlorofluorocarbons.
The 2nd law of thermodynamics states that entropy can never decrease in any system. It always increases or stays the same in any system. This gives heat a direction. Heat always flows from hot to cold. You cannot use a colder gas to heat a warmer surface.

You can't do it by radiance, you can't do it by convection, you can't do it by conduction.

You can't do it. You might as well try to make hot coffee with an ice cube.

Further, the Stefan-Boltzmann law states that radiance from a surface is proportional to its temperature. The hotter the surface, the greater the radiance.'Trapping heat' is an attempt to reduce radiance and use that to increase temperature, in violation of the Stefan-Boltzmann law.

Most of the energy from the Sun is infrared. That's what causes the oceans and land to warm in the first place.

The land heats the air by conduction and by radiance.

Most radiance from the Earth comes from the surface itself.
See The Light

United States

#22 May 2, 2018
Lmao I can admit... Greenhouse gas is not something. I know anything about...Kinda understand...Seems possible I would need to study up. On the subject before I decided true or false....Some pretty deep chit....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Global Warming Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 1 hr Wisdom of Ages 12,434
News Greater sea level rise likely, study warns (Dec '09) 1 hr Science 17
Global Warming Standup Comedy (Apr '07) 1 hr hojo 5,737
News White House will override Obama's climate plan (Oct '17) 2 hr hojo 6,534
The Pseudoscience of Global Warming (Mar '18) 6 hr hojo 454
News Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say (Jul '10) 10 hr hojo 41,859
News Big Oil spent 1 percent on green energy in 2018 Sun Solarman 1