Dogma Attacks The Straw Man

Dogma Attacks The Straw Man

Posted in the Global Warming Forum

Science Over Dogma

Minneapolis, MN

#1 May 18, 2018
Attack of the dogma;

"There is no such thing as a PERFECT insulator. Coats only make you warm because they reduce heat."
Initial Intent Of _Trap_

Minneapolis, MN

#2 May 19, 2018
"If something is trapped, it is not necessarily held indefinitely."
No One Made That Claim

Minneapolis, MN

#3 May 20, 2018
"You can't stop thermal energy from moving from one place to another. There is no such thing as a perfect insulator."
Cars Are Cleaner

Minneapolis, MN

#4 May 23, 2018
"Nope. It took engineers."
President Spanky

Manassas, VA

#5 May 27, 2018
Denial for Dummies.
TTITT

Minneapolis, MN

#6 May 28, 2018
"A straw man is a common form of argument and is an informal fallacy based on false representation of an opponent's argument."

Here is another fine example of such an informal fallacy:
Into The Night wrote:
<quoted text>
Science is not bigotry. Why do you think it is?
You see, Dr.. Night...

No where have I ever said, suggested, implied or inferred I think that ...as usual, the premise of your critique is purely a product of your imagination with no foundation in reality.
Deniers Just Deny

Minneapolis, MN

#7 May 29, 2018
m.topix.com/forum/news/global-warming/TKJLC2V...

And once again we are presented with another of Mr. Night's attacks upon a straw man.

Here is the entire post Mr. Night used from which to construct his straw man:

"Whiskey Tango Foxtrot are you talking about, Mr. Bozo? 

Are you denying the fact that the BoM is indeed manipulating the raw temperature data as confirmed by the BoM Director??(if so ...then you are may be in error) 

Are you denying the fact that these adjustments have a significant effect upon the calculated mean global temperature anomaly???

Dear Mr. Bozo, 
burying your head in the sand does nothing to challenge the facts that some recent official Australian temperature records have been deleted or adjusted ...then presented as the official and complete datasets of raw values. 

Your inability to accept the reality of systemic (programmed into the weather stations) manipulations to the raw data is compelling evidence that you deny the facts of this controversy.

So, it looks like the coming week will be well above average in temperature and we can all agree that the resulting record is irrelevant to the issue of climate change and/or GW. 

Well Mr. Bozo, I hope you enjoy this warm weather as most people will most definitely do.

Raw Data Is Not"

Now here is his straw man:
Into The Night wrote:
<quoted text>
No raw data available. It's not possible to measure the temperature of the Earth.
"It's not possible to measure the temperature of the Earth (sic)"
- Into The Night
~
Note the original post only refered to atmospheric temperature readings (recorded by modern weather stations) that were manipulated by the BoM.

Referencing "the temperature of the earth" is completely out of context and a misrepresentation of the points of my post ...classic example of Mr. Night's dependence on this informal logical fallacy.

Again, his response is based on giving the impression of refuting my post, while actually refuting an argument that was NOT presented in my post.
TTITT

Minneapolis, MN

#8 May 29, 2018
Edit post #6:

You see, Dr.. Night...

No where have I ever said, suggested, implied or inferred I think that.

As usual, the premise of your critique is purely a product of your imagination with no foundation in reality.
He Tilts At Windmills

Minneapolis, MN

#9 May 30, 2018
hojo wrote:
"All matter emits infrared radiation in proportion to its (sic) temperature due to molecules vibrating. Each vibration is a wave of infrared radiation being emitted."
Into The Night wrote:
<quoted text>Not quite. There is no coordinated wave. It is many waves combined in a disorderly way.
Where did 'hojo' argue/claim there is "a coordinated wave"?
Answer: He didn't.

Just another example of Mr. Night's dependence on an intentionally misrepresented proposition that is set up because it is easier to defeat than an opponent's real argument.
________

An intriguing sidebar;

What possible relevance does Mr. Night's imaginary victories have toward the understanding that A/OACDDCGW is no more than a poorly defended idea?
QED

Minneapolis, MN

#10 May 31, 2018
Bringing a bonus an homonym to the collection of straw man attacks by Mr. Night...

The following is 'Mr. Too Easy's' entire post:

""Science is a set of falsifiable theories."

The above dogmatic pronouncement is not my definition of "science".

And as clearly self-proclaimed on more than one occasion ...it is not Mr. Night's.

I suspect thT (sic) in the last decade on topix, no one has ever agreed the above dogma represents their ideas about "science".

Therefore;
Logic dictates that the statement ..."Science is a set of falsifiable theories." is not acceptable by anyone participating in these discussions."

No where in 'Mr. Easy's' post was it stated that 'Topix defines science'...yet, in response to 'Mr. Easy's' post,'Mr. Night' wrote;
Into The Night wrote:
<quoted text>
Topix does not define science, stupid.
More examples of Mr. Night's dependence on logical fallacies to support his dogma...

Straw Man attack: "Topix does not define science"

and the bonus of an
Ad homonym attack: "stupid."

QED
QED

Minneapolis, MN

#11 May 31, 2018
Edit:
"an honomyn" = ad homonym
Still He Tilts

Minneapolis, MN

#12 Jun 1, 2018
'WDYTYA' wrote:

"Seriously, dude ...do you have any idea what that even means?

By all means ...now is the time to refer to a dictionary to understand what "inversion" means."
Into The Night wrote:
<quoted text>

A dictionary is not a logic textbook. You deny logic.
"A dictionary is not a logic textbook. You deny logic."
-Into The Night

"logic textbook"?
Dear Dorothy,
That straw man is so far out there ...even Toto can't find it
Attacking Strawmen

Minneapolis, MN

#13 Jun 5, 2018
Into The Night wrote:
<quoted text>

The municipal water system did not kill anyone, even in Flint during the crisis brought about by liberals in the city of Flint when they didn't even treat the water source they were using properly.
Huh?
Into The Night wrote:
<quoted text>

The bacteria is normally found in both water and soil.

Properly treated and monitored water systems are perfectly safe.
"Properly treated and monitored water systems are perfectly safe."
-'Into The Night'

No one here is taking issue with the merits of "properly treated and monitored water systems" ...or are they?

It's as if you are arguing against a
proposition that claims properly treated and monitored water systems are not safe. You know ....attacking a strawman, so to speak.

So what IS your point?
Logic Trumps Fallacy

Minneapolis, MN

#14 Jun 8, 2018
And now for an example of an 'attack upon a straw man' in one of it's purest forms:
Into The Night wrote:
<quoted text>

Still insisting that satellites can measure the temperature of the Earth, eh? That IS stupid.
First, Mr. Night manufactures a view point and attributes it to someone he decides is an opponent;

"Still insisting that satellites can measure the temperature of the Earth, eh?"

Then, Mr. Night attempts to critique his creative
missive;

"That IS stupid."

'Straw Man attacks' do not get much more blatant than that.
Too Funny

Minneapolis, MN

#15 Jun 12, 2018
Just when you think the logical fallacies could not be more blatant ....this comment gets posted;
Into The Night wrote:
<quoted text>
....how do you know the Earth is warming?
No One Made That Claim

Minneapolis, MN

#16 Jun 16, 2018
A rudimentary example of an 'attack upon a straw man':
Into The Night wrote:
<quoted text>
A unit of measurement is not a measurement,#138.
Again, no one is arguing that point but the "One Trick Pony".
Here s The Difference

Minneapolis, MN

#20 Jul 16, 2018
...point about an unrelated topic
Too Funny To Sad

Minneapolis, MN

#21 Aug 4, 2018
Into The Night wrote:
<quoted text>

I'm not making it up dude. You have indeed made both arguments.
Here we are again ...with a classic example of Mr. Night's application of 'the straw man attack'.

He imagines a scenario where Mr. Bozo made two contradictory claims (and as usual, without the benefit of evidence).

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Global Warming Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 3 hr Billsclamfarts 65,017
Global Warming Standup Comedy (Apr '07) 4 hr Patriot AKA Bozo 5,697
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 4 hr Patriot AKA Bozo 12,421
The Pseudoscience of Global Warming (Mar '18) 4 hr Patriot AKA Bozo 413
News White House will override Obama's climate plan (Oct '17) 4 hr Patriot AKA Bozo 6,193
News Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say (Jul '10) 5 hr Patriot AKA Bozo 41,585
Global Cooling (Apr '15) 9 hr ChemEngineer 2,647