Wind Farm May Violate Endangered Spec...

Wind Farm May Violate Endangered Species Act

There are 5930 comments on the www.heartland.org story from Aug 29, 2009, titled Wind Farm May Violate Endangered Species Act . In it, www.heartland.org reports that:

Environmentalist groups have filed a federal lawsuit to require operators of a proposed West Virginia wind farm to obtain a "takings" permit under the Endangered Species Act before they can begin operations.

According to the Animal Welfare Institute and Mountain Communities for Responsible Energy, the proposed Beech Ridge Energy wind farm in Greenbrier County will disrupt the habitat and likely kill an unacceptable number of endangered Indiana bats.

Beech Ridge Energy received approval for the project from the state Public Service Commission after four years of government study and community opposition. The company has begun clearing brush and building roads to haul turbine parts to the site of the proposed wind farm. Beech Ridge Energy plans to construct 124 turbines—each 390 feet tall—along a 23-mile stretch of mountain ridge tops.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.heartland.org.

“Conserve Wildlife Habitat”

Since: Dec 10

SE Michigan

#6012 Nov 27, 2013
litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
re-pubic-lick-uns are political un-followers of science, absolutely claiming their forecasts are better than scientists with 10-16 years more mathematics & science than they have.

Because someone is real good at math means they can accurately predict the future?? Too funny.

SE Michigan

#6013 Nov 27, 2013
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
What bird blind have you been hiding in?
I rarely use a bird blind. I spend my time in the field getting to know my subjects.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#6014 Nov 27, 2013
Raptor in Michigan wrote:
<quoted text>
I rarely use a bird blind. I spend my time in the field getting to know my subjects.
I see. A real bird brain.
LessHypeMoreFact

Orleans, Canada

#6015 Nov 27, 2013
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>I see. A real bird brain.
Birds are much smarter than Mr. Raptor Troll.

SE Michigan

#6016 Nov 27, 2013
LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
<quoted text>
The science is clear that excessive emissions of GHGs has been causing AGW, so that is not MY claim but 'Scientific Fact'.
The C is your addition, it is subjective and it is a matter of defining what you consider 'catastrophic' and how much AGW is needed to get there. There will be SOME level of CO2 emission that is catastrophic no matter what your answer but it is not defined until you specify what YOU consider 'catastrophic' and the world defines what action it will take on AGW.
<quoted text>
The entire danger of AGW is in economics and sociology. The planet will survive fine without us (or so many of us) but 'Catastrophic' is mostly about US and how it impacts US. There is no 'change of topic' here.
<quoted text>
Ok. The deadlock in US politics? Syria? Overfishing? I could go on and on. AGW is only related to climate and weather, though that has aa lot of impact on a lot of systems, such as agriculture.
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
No. But it can be bad when it is in the wrong place or wrong quantity. I.e carbon brushes in electric motors is good. Carbon deposits on your valves is bad. Nobody has said that carbon is good or bad by itself. But it can be part of a problem or a solution. AGW is a problem.
<quoted text>
Not sure where this crap comes from. Are you delusional or just stupid? Guns are not sinful, evil or the devil. But guns can be used to sin, to create evil and to praise the devil. So guns or carbon can be a PROBLEM without regard to religion at all.
"But guns can be used to sin, to create evil and to praise the devil."
How does a gun CREATE evil?
PTWTK

Dripping Springs, TX

#6017 Nov 28, 2013
Will the "Raptor" the so called protector of feathered creatures give the bird to someone today?
LessHypeMoreFact

Orleans, Canada

#6018 Nov 28, 2013
Raptor in Michigan wrote:
<quoted text>
You are sick and twisted individual!
You certainly are. Dedicated to fighting clean energy while increasing the deaths from dirty coal and sticky oil, both of which now threaten the economy and living of billions of humans too.

Get help. Your denialism is obviously pro-fossil fuel and against everything else. The concern for wildlife you profess is a weak and often threadbare cover that you often forget.

SE Michigan

#6019 Nov 28, 2013
LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
<quoted text>
You certainly are. Dedicated to fighting clean energy while increasing the deaths from dirty coal and sticky oil, both of which now threaten the economy and living of billions of humans too.
Get help. Your denialism is obviously pro-fossil fuel and against everything else. The concern for wildlife you profess is a weak and often threadbare cover that you often forget.
I don't need help. You need to wake up. No matter how many habitat destroying wind farms and bird killing giant turbines they build, they will not remove any oil or gas wells. We will continue to use fossil fuels to the same extent we do now.

What the hell makes you think I fight "clean energy?" I want clean energy as much as everyone. I am a nature lover! But wind is NOT clean. And it doesn't just kill "a few birds." When will that sink in? That is what i fight against.

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#6020 Nov 30, 2013
LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
Science requires data and analysis. Experiment is only one method of gathering data. Your ignorance of science is complete.
When a theory suggests man can change the environment, experiments are the only tests that can confirm or refute the hypothesis that a man made change causes a change to climate.

LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
Testing technology is engineering, NOT science. Science says how and why. Techology is the exploitation of the science to obtain specific objectives. Not only ignorant of science but ignorant in general.
Experiments are used to test technology, no demonstration of climate change mitigation has ever been successfully demonstrated.

LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
Another lie. The 'natural experiment' has been performed since 1880 or so. It doesn't matter HOW or WHY we 'twiddle the parameters' and obtain specific results but the 'experiment' can be considered a howling success in changing one specific fact of climate. The Global Average Surface Temperature. We have thousands of separate papers each attesting to the results of this experiment.
A 'natural experiment' differs from a true experiment because it doesn't control other variables. Since LessHy's 'experiment' can't be duplicated, that proves its not a real experiment. Coincidence isn't causality.

Most climate change mitigators don't use science, they use fear and other emotions instead of reason.

LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
You are too ignorant to 'know' anything. And the science is established beyond question by the fundamental authority of science, the professional science academies. The ranting of fools like you is meaningless.
The Scientific Method is the "fundamental authority of science", consensus is for beauty contests. Please tell us what experiment compels supporting climate change mitigation?

Location hidden

#6021 Nov 30, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>When a theory suggests man can change the environment, experiments are the only tests that can confirm or refute the hypothesis that a man made change causes a change to climate.
<quoted text>Experiments are used to test technology, no demonstration of climate change mitigation has ever been successfully demonstrated.
<quoted text>A 'natural experiment' differs from a true experiment because it doesn't control other variables. Since LessHy's 'experiment' can't be duplicated, that proves its not a real experiment. Coincidence isn't causality.
Most climate change mitigators don't use science, they use fear and other emotions instead of reason.
<quoted text>The Scientific Method is the "fundamental authority of science", consensus is for beauty contests. Please tell us what experiment compels supporting climate change mitigation?
And this proves that you are a dunderhead.
PTWTK

Dripping Springs, TX

#6022 Nov 30, 2013
It appears that the "Raptor" is in another frenzy.
The "Raptor" continues to post its fact commonly know as "Raptor" fiction. Now will the "Raptor" get on board and see the daylight that shines around its feathers?

SE Michigan

#6023 Nov 30, 2013
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
And this is a typical response from someone who cannot refute a post.
Raptor in Michigan

Muskegon, MI

#6024 Nov 30, 2013
PTWTK wrote:
It appears that the "Raptor" is in another frenzy.
The "Raptor" continues to post its fact commonly know as "Raptor" fiction. Now will the "Raptor" get on board and see the daylight that shines around its feathers?
The Raptor is wondering if the Canada Warblers will return in the spring. The odds of them slamming into some skyscraper, cell tower or wind turbine increases with every year.
The odds of this happening are much greater than them getting oiled in some oil spill. They have a better chance of surviving an oil spill than a wind mill collision.

You don't have to believe the Raptor. Listen to the ornithologist:

"We didn’t see that. Thousands of birds really did get heavily oiled, but for the most part the bird colonies actually did end up surviving and even producing young."

"The more we study birds, especially birds that are declining, the more we realize that they’re declining because of some specific things that we’re doing to the landscape. Amazingly enough, we can fix those things and, lo and behold, the birds come back!"

"We watch. We observe. That’s fundamentally what science is. We’re curious about how nature works, we’re curious about how it’s doing. And the more we look, the more we watch, the more we understand."

The Raptor is a watcher, an observer. The Raptor understands.

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/page.aspx...
B as in B S as in S

Minneapolis, MN

#6025 Nov 30, 2013
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
That's it???

Wow... If that is the most intelligent contribution you can make in defense of CAGW Orthodoxy then
you guys are really screwed.
PTWTK

Dripping Springs, TX

#6026 Dec 1, 2013
You don't have to believe the "Raptor". Listen to the ornithologist:

They count the kill as if they were ambulance chasers. If you toss enough stuff on the wall some will stick. More fiction than fact. Do you recall the tale about the house is on fire and no one came?

Location hidden

#6027 Dec 1, 2013
B as in B S as in S wrote:
<quoted text>
That's it???
Wow... If that is the most intelligent contribution you can make in defense of CAGW Orthodoxy then
you guys are really screwed.
Not much else I can say when folks spread the BS. Reality is; The Earth is warming. CO2 is a greenhouse gas. Burning fossil fuels increases the CO2 in the atmosphere. Refute that then perhaps you will have some merit in your denial.
LessHypeMoreFact

Orleans, Canada

#6028 Dec 1, 2013
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
Not much else I can say when folks spread the BS.
Global warming is a FACT.
Resulting climate chaos is a FACT.
Brian_G is a dunderhead is a FACT.

Publishing facts is a good idea.*Opinions* such as BS's are not facts and are not good ideas.
B as in B S as in S

Minneapolis, MN

#6029 Dec 1, 2013
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
Reality is; Refute that then perhaps you will have some merit in your denial.
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
The Earth is warming.
Yes, I AGREE WITH YOU.
The Earth is warmer today than it was 14 thousand years ago.
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
CO2 is a greenhouse gas.
Yes, I AGREE WITH YOU.
For every 10,000 molecules of air 4 of those molecules are CO2 which helps keep the Earth from losing heat too fast.
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>

Burning fossil fuels increases the CO2 in the atmosphere.
Yes, I AGREE WITH YOU.
There is more CO2 in the air right now than at any time in our lives.

"Reality is:"
WE AGREE.
The facts are not at issue...

SE Michigan

#6030 Dec 1, 2013
PTWTK wrote:
You don't have to believe the "Raptor". Listen to the ornithologist:
They count the kill as if they were ambulance chasers. If you toss enough stuff on the wall some will stick. More fiction than fact. Do you recall the tale about the house is on fire and no one came?
Yes. I think everyone inside ended up dead. It reminds me of the massive bird kills that are repeaetedly happening at tall lighted structures and nobody is listening to those of us sending out the warning.

SE Michigan

#6031 Dec 1, 2013
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
Not much else I can say when folks spread the BS. Reality is; The Earth is warming. CO2 is a greenhouse gas. Burning fossil fuels increases the CO2 in the atmosphere. Refute that then perhaps you will have some merit in your denial.
Any CO2 in the atmosphere dissipates over time. Just like heat dissipates when the cloud cover disappears. That's why it's so cold on clear winter nights. And that's why you don't see the smoke from last years forest fire. It's gone; dissipated and floated off into outer space.

PS. Nobody has any proof that the earth is warming.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Global Warming Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What role do you think humans play in global wa... (Sep '14) 16 hr Patriot AKA Bozo 11,298
News Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say (Jul '10) Tue John 37,131
Global Cooling (Apr '15) Jul 20 Into The Night 2,530
News Global warming made Paris floods far more likel... (Jun '16) Jul 20 Into The Night 152
2016 year to date (Apr '16) Jul 19 Patriot AKA Bozo 195
News Soros Says U.S. Carbon Cap Would Spur Billions ... (Jan '10) Jul 19 Mail order bride 39
Professor denies global warming theory (May '09) Jul 19 Conspiracy Among ... 2
More from around the web