Religious freedom bill riles gay righ...

Religious freedom bill riles gay rights supporters

There are 153 comments on the WFLX-TV West Palm Beach story from Feb 20, 2014, titled Religious freedom bill riles gay rights supporters. In it, WFLX-TV West Palm Beach reports that:

The Arizona Legislature gave final approval Thursday evening to legislation that allows business owners asserting their religious beliefs to refuse service to gays, drawing backlash from Democrats who called the proposal "state-sanctioned discrimination" and an embarrassment.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WFLX-TV West Palm Beach.

First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#2 Feb 21, 2014
cervantes wrote:
gays will not be satisfied til there is open ......
This is your fantasy, but does it does not reflect reality. You might want to think about what happened in your life to cause this break, and seek help to repair it.

This article is about allowing a business owner to discriminate against anyone for religious reasons. Can you imagine the backlash for consumers, and employers, as they scramble to survive throwing away years of anti-discrimination laws?

And if such a law is ONLY aimed at gay people, doesn't it prove that animus is behind the discrimination, and doesn't that help all our other court challenges?

“Equality First”

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#4 Feb 21, 2014
Cordwainer Trout wrote:
A business would be aware of someone's sexuality ONLY by the queer making a deal out of it. If a homosexual can't control themselves about public displays of their sexuality specific to a business, they are not only affecting the business owners and employees, but also clients and potential clients. The same is true for heterosexuals psychologically damaged enough, that they display some moronic concept of their person on others. If a homosexual can't control themselves in a business, they have impulse control issues.
I can think of two right off the top of my head. Bakeries and print shops. I'm sure if one puts their mind to it, one could come up with any number of examples. Anyone else want to give it a try? Oh yeah, another I just thought of is insurance companies.

“i hope we can change this!”

Since: Aug 08

usa

#5 Feb 21, 2014
if it's your business, YOU decide who you want to do business with...
end of story.

Since: Jan 09

Elmont, NY

#6 Feb 21, 2014
RalphB wrote:
<quoted text>
I can think of two right off the top of my head. Bakeries and print shops. I'm sure if one puts their mind to it, one could come up with any number of examples. Anyone else want to give it a try? Oh yeah, another I just thought of is insurance companies.
caterers, wedding/reception halls, florists, hotels, motels, photographers

next question, suppose your religion is against interracial marriage
or interreligious marriages

suppose your religion believes in white supremacy, can you refuse service to anyone non-white?
how about if you're an American Nazi, can you refuse service to Jews?

Since: Jan 09

Elmont, NY

#7 Feb 21, 2014
carey529 wrote:
if it's your business, YOU decide who you want to do business with...
end of story.
so you are for bringing back Jim Crow laws,
how about the Nuremberg laws, can we enact them
how about Apartheid, can we resurrect those laws

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#8 Feb 21, 2014
carey529 wrote:
if it's your business, YOU decide who you want to do business with...
end of story.
Oh okay, let's go back to "whites only" signs in the windows.

How about a "no Christians allowed"?

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#9 Feb 21, 2014
I can't wait for this Arizona law to take effect, and then every gay owned & operated business can put up a "no Republicans served" sign, or a "no Christians allowed" sign.

Bring on the lawsuits bitches!

“Equality First”

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#10 Feb 21, 2014
Thank Gawd 4 Bush wrote:
<quoted text>
caterers, wedding/reception halls, florists, hotels, motels, photographers
next question, suppose your religion is against interracial marriage
or interreligious marriages
suppose your religion believes in white supremacy, can you refuse service to anyone non-white?
how about if you're an American Nazi, can you refuse service to Jews?
I hope you don't have me confused with the poster I was responding to. I think my post to him/her was self-evident.

“Equality First”

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#11 Feb 21, 2014
Yes, I know my first sentence in post 10 was grammatically incorrect, so please don't point it out to me. Thanks.
BuckOfama

Alexandria, VA

#12 Feb 21, 2014
Thank Gawd 4 Bush wrote:
<quoted text>
caterers, wedding/reception halls, florists, hotels, motels, photographers
next question, suppose your religion is against interracial marriage
or interreligious marriages
suppose your religion believes in white supremacy, can you refuse service to anyone non-white?
how about if you're an American Nazi, can you refuse service to Jews?
Unfortunately Neo-Nazi groups are considered Hate groups, not Religious. So it would not apply. The former would be racist discrimination. Again does not apply.

However, a Church, because of First Amendment, has the right to deny anyone for any reason that violates their Canon law.
BuckOfama

Alexandria, VA

#13 Feb 21, 2014
WeTheSheeple wrote:
I can't wait for this Arizona law to take effect, and then every gay owned & operated business can put up a "no Republicans served" sign, or a "no Christians allowed" sign.
Bring on the lawsuits bitches!
Are you suggesting that the First Amendment be amended to remove RELIGIOUS FREEDOM?
Cordwainer Trout

Elizabethtown, KY

#14 Feb 21, 2014
WeTheSheeple wrote:
I can't wait for this Arizona law to take effect, and then every gay owned & operated business can put up a "no Republicans served" sign, or a "no Christians allowed" sign.
Bring on the lawsuits bitches!
People can refuse service to others if they smell bad. They can usher them out of the store, or call police. Bad smelling people destroy businesses. So do homosexuals.
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#15 Feb 21, 2014
carey529 wrote:
if it's your business, YOU decide who you want to do business with...
end of story.
Are you a US Citizen?
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#16 Feb 21, 2014
RalphB wrote:
Yes, I know my first sentence in post 10 was grammatically incorrect, so please don't point it out to me. Thanks.
That is something up with which we will not put
.
lol

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#17 Feb 21, 2014
BuckOfama wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you suggesting that the First Amendment be amended to remove RELIGIOUS FREEDOM?
Not at all.

But I should also be able to assert MY 1st amendment religious freedom to refuse to serve christians.

And maybe Baptists don't want to serve catholics based on THEIR religious freedom.

And certainly NO ONE wants to serve muslims or jews based on their religious freedom.

Right?
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#18 Feb 21, 2014
Cordwainer Trout wrote:
<quoted text>
People can refuse service to others if they smell bad. They can usher them out of the store, or call police. Bad smelling people destroy businesses. So do homosexuals.
You don't like lavender?

“Equality First”

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#19 Feb 21, 2014
Rainbow Kid wrote:
<quoted text>
That is something up with which we will not put
.
lol
You just gave me the first belly-laugh of the day.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#21 Feb 21, 2014
cervantes wrote:
gays will not be satisfied til there is open sex on the streets and homosexuals are permitted to rape chidren with impunity. I was in the Navy for 5 years and during that time, getting hit on by homosexuals was an occupational hazard of being a sailor.
And yet, the raping of women by men is what has made news. Face it. Your bongo try gets in your way in trying to present an issue.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#22 Feb 21, 2014
Quest wrote:
<quoted text>
This is your fantasy, but does it does not reflect reality. You might want to think about what happened in your life to cause this break, and seek help to repair it.
This article is about allowing a business owner to discriminate against anyone for religious reasons. Can you imagine the backlash for consumers, and employers, as they scramble to survive throwing away years of anti-discrimination laws?
And if such a law is ONLY aimed at gay people, doesn't it prove that animus is behind the discrimination, and doesn't that help all our other court challenges?
People shouldn't be forced to do anything they don't want to do for any reason.
If a man doesn't want to photograph a gay wedding he shouldn't be forced to.
If he doesn't want to bake a cake for a gay wedding he shouldn't be forced to.
Judging from the media coverage that gays get you can bake your own cakes and take your own photos. There seems to be no shortage of you. While you're at it, start your own Boy Scouts.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#23 Feb 21, 2014
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
People shouldn't be forced to do anything they don't want to do for any reason.
If a man doesn't want to photograph a gay wedding he shouldn't be forced to.
If he doesn't want to bake a cake for a gay wedding he shouldn't be forced to.
Judging from the media coverage that gays get you can bake your own cakes and take your own photos. There seems to be no shortage of you. While you're at it, start your own Boy Scouts.
No one can be forced to take photos or bake a cake.

If you CHOOSE to open a business to the general public, then you agree to serve everyone.

If you can't do that, then just open a private members-only business where you can discriminate to you bigoted heart's content.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Maybe god is gay! (Dec '09) 4 min June VanDerMark 10,650
News Obama: Notion that being armed would have saved... 9 min WasteWater 874
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 15 min Terra Firma 37,208
News The Pride parade takes place two weeks after th... 16 min ALLSAM 8
The NE Jade Saturday Thread 18 min Howie 2
News Obama names Stonewall national monument; first ... 23 min Mite Be 25
Is Fa-Foxy a Catholic? 26 min Tequila 372
News Sanders: Don't blame Islam for Orlando shooting 29 min Mite Be 553
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 42 min WasteWater 12,935
News Man Accused Of Firing Paintballs At Stockton Ga... 46 min Harper 43
More from around the web