Suze Orman Urges "Gay Migration" To S...

Suze Orman Urges "Gay Migration" To States With Marriage Equality

There are 24 comments on the EDGE story from May 1, 2013, titled Suze Orman Urges "Gay Migration" To States With Marriage Equality. In it, EDGE reports that:

On April 15, in conjunction with Elda Di Re and Karyn Twaronite -- two Ernst & Young LLP partners - CNBC host and financial advisor Suze Orman held a conference call organized by the Respect for Marriage Coalition not only in order to explore the financial pitfalls faced by same-sex couples as a result of the Defense of Marriage Act , but also the ... (more)

Join the discussion below, or Read more at EDGE.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#1 May 1, 2013
Naw. Just go there, get married, then go home and SUE FOR FULL FAITH AND CREDIT EQUALITY.

“Marriage Equality”

Since: Dec 07

Lakeland, MI

#2 May 1, 2013
I've always said that, ultimately, the fight for marriage equality nationwide will be decided on the basis that everything else is always decided on--MONEY.

Since the SCOTUS is unlikely to hand down a sweeping ruling ensuring equal treatment under the law (and thereby, once again, shirking their responsibility to the Constitution, but that's another story), I suspect our momentum will stall in most of the knuckle-dragging, idiot states, mostly in the south.

As more and more talented people leave those areas and move to places where thinking people live, the backward, hate-based places will become more and more desolate and depressed while the accepting and open places will noticeably and visibly prosper.

As that divide widens, it'll become more and more clear who's doing things the right way and who isn't.

My husband and I have no desire (or opportunity) to move right now, but if we did, we sure as hell wouldn't move to a place that doesn't recognize our marriage. Why would we do that?
Chance

Grove City, PA

#3 May 1, 2013
Oh, my please do, GO. It will leave non "marriage equality" states safe for traditional marriage, mean more jobs for straight people, and leave them free of all this exhausting controversy. Just go!
Gay in Bethlehem

Ocean City, NJ

#4 May 1, 2013
I don't think she's talking about those in equality states moving to non-equality states.

idk, the progress is slow...but nonetheless, there IS progress. A major factor in that progress is that we're visible. Even in a lot of the south, chances are a straight person knows a gay person. This will fade out if everyone starts moving away. And in the absence of knowing gays as humans like everyone else,...prejudices and harmful stereotypes are just left.

I realize for some, it doesn't matter either way. My coworker at a previous job was a strong conservative with really irritating opinions based on either shotty statistics or irrelevant statistics (ex: "gays are generally promiscuous and disease-ridden from their actions" ...based on a study where the population was: men who went to an STD clinic.... totally fair right??).
When I finally came out to him (for the sake of him actually knowing another gay person),...I realize now that I am and will always be an exception to the rule in his mind. Because even though he doesn't know other gays...it's more important to him to hold onto his prejudices than hold onto a friend.

“Marriage Equality”

Since: Dec 07

Lakeland, MI

#5 May 1, 2013
Chance wrote:
Oh, my please do, GO. It will leave non "marriage equality" states safe for traditional marriage, mean more jobs for straight people, and leave them free of all this exhausting controversy. Just go!
Ah. I see. You're one of those brainiacs that believe marriage equality for same-sex couples means that straight couples will somehow be banned from marrying.

You DO realize, I'm sure, that it's not only the gay folks that will be leaving, but our friends and families will be following us. They won't want to live among fools in economically depressed areas with no jobs and no hope, either.

And jobs?? Seriously?? You believe there will be jobs available for *anyone* when local economies are collapsing due to all the talent in the workforces leaving? So cute. Take an economics class and let me know what happens when talented people leave someplace. It's not pretty.

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

#6 May 1, 2013
snyper wrote:
Naw. Just go there, get married, then go home and SUE FOR FULL FAITH AND CREDIT EQUALITY.
I thought you didn't believe in teh "full faith and credit' argument. No ?

Location hidden

#7 May 1, 2013
Chance wrote:
Naw. You're NOT getting off that easily. You've got 8 more plagues coming.

“Take Topix Back From Trolls”

Since: Dec 08

El Paso, TX

#8 May 1, 2013
Chance wrote:
As things move forward more and more corporations will no longer even look at states who discriminate to move corporate office or open more manufacturing plants.

Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#9 May 1, 2013
I have to disagree.

Moving to one of the 10 states with equality basically gives the anti-gays the win by default in 40 states.

The reason we're changing people's minds even in very conservative states is because we ARE there; we're their friends & neighbors & coworkers, etc.

For most people, the federal benefits are more significant, and those will be available regardless of where you live. But for those who absolutely need the state benefits of marriage, then I'd say they should consider moving. The rest of us need to stay and fight for equality where we are.

“Common courtesy, isn't”

Location hidden

#10 May 1, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
I have to disagree.
Moving to one of the 10 states with equality basically gives the anti-gays the win by default in 40 states.
The reason we're changing people's minds even in very conservative states is because we ARE there; we're their friends & neighbors & coworkers, etc.
For most people, the federal benefits are more significant, and those will be available regardless of where you live. But for those who absolutely need the state benefits of marriage, then I'd say they should consider moving. The rest of us need to stay and fight for equality where we are.
Exactly. I mean, let's be practical here. Are all the GLBTQ people in California and Florida really going to be excited about moving to Iowa? Do Orman and her two friends really think everyone can just pack up and move away? Who's supposed to stay behind to be role models for GLBTQ youths and caregivers for elderly GLBTQ people?

More than anything else, this idea is elitist and shirt-sighted.

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

#12 May 1, 2013
Otter in the Ozarks wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly. I mean, let's be practical here. Are all the GLBTQ people in California and Florida really going to be excited about moving to Iowa? Do Orman and her two friends really think everyone can just pack up and move away? Who's supposed to stay behind to be role models for GLBTQ youths and caregivers for elderly GLBTQ people?
She was probably thinking of Brooklyn, and not Iowa.

“Equality marches on! ”

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#13 May 1, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
I have to disagree.
Love your logic! We will win support, one family-member/ co-worker/neighbor/friend just by existing.

“Equality marches on! ”

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#15 May 1, 2013
Well, Charles, or whatever your obsessive posting new username will be...you don' t think. It explains your lonely existence! Enjoy the rest of the night. How's that supposed "straight thingy" working out? Your continual posting will be the answer.

Location hidden

#16 May 1, 2013
Warren wrote:
Make all filthy queers move to Uganda!
Why?

We already live where people hate and kill us.

That is what has to change.
William

United States

#17 May 1, 2013
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
Why?
We already live where people hate and kill us.
That is what has to change.
Don't flaunt your homosexuality in everyone's face and nobody will hate you.

“Haters Need 2 Shut the F-K Up!”

Since: Aug 07

Mount Laurel, New Jersey, USA

#19 May 1, 2013
William wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't flaunt your homosexuality in everyone's face and nobody will hate you.
How about YOU PEOPLE stop flaunting your heterosexuality on every TV show, billboard, perfume ad, wedding chapel, church, and so on...
Chance

Grove City, PA

#20 May 1, 2013
eJohn wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah. I see. You're one of those brainiacs that believe marriage equality for same-sex couples means that straight couples will somehow be banned from marrying.
You DO realize, I'm sure, that it's not only the gay folks that will be leaving, but our friends and families will be following us. They won't want to live among fools in economically depressed areas with no jobs and no hope, either.
And jobs?? Seriously?? You believe there will be jobs available for *anyone* when local economies are collapsing due to all the talent in the workforces leaving? So cute. Take an economics class and let me know what happens when talented people leave someplace. It's not pretty.
As if all the talent is held in the bodies of gays (and, of course, their friends and family). Despicably arrogant. Being gay or a gay supporter does give one talent or require talent. I assure you, nothing will collapse. If the gays left our area, it would be just fine.

Tawas City, Michigan

#21 May 2, 2013
Otter in the Ozarks wrote:
<quoted text>
Just proves that being a lesbian doesn't make her any smarter than all the other financial "experts".

I usually like her financial advice- she's a bit more practical and a straight shooter (no pun intended), but on this one she erred.

Tawas City, Michigan

#22 May 2, 2013
Chance wrote:
<quoted text>
As if all the talent is held in the bodies of gays (and, of course, their friends and family). Despicably arrogant. Being gay or a gay supporter does give one talent or require talent. I assure you, nothing will collapse. If the gays left our area, it would be just fine.
No worry, while a few same-sex couples will move to get the rights & benefits they may need for their families until equality is nationwide, there will always be plenty of gays & lesbians in every county & state in the US.

We're here, we're queer, and we aren't going anywhere!
Franz

Germany

#23 May 2, 2013
Warren wrote:
Make all filthy queers move to Uganda!
This is by far the best solution.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 'Fired by tweet:' Troops, veterans react to tra... 6 min Jeremy 2
News Connecticut LGBT Advocate Says Military's Trans... 8 min Jeremy 2
News Trump bans transgender people from military 8 min Let Freedom Ring 51
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 12 min Wondering 52,232
News 'Revolutionary': Study of gay couples shows HIV... 14 min Wondering 13
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 16 min Freedomofexpression 7,047
News LGBT outrage over Trump ban on transgender mili... 2 hr Aronald 13
News Blood donation rules relaxed for gay men and se... 3 hr RalphB 35
News Study: 12,000 acts of condomless gay sex, 0 HIV... 4 hr Aronald 44
More from around the web