Mass. Bill Would Ban Sexual Orientation Therapy

Jul 16, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: EDGE

Gay rights activists are planning to gather at the Statehouse in support of a bill that would ban therapy on minors that seeks to change their sexual orientation.

Comments
81 - 100 of 254 Comments Last updated Aug 22, 2013
HumanSpirit

Alachua, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#96
Aug 6, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

NIMH Delivers A Kill Shot To DSM-5

Pasted from < http://www.science20.com/science_20/blog/nimh... ;

The National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) is distancing itself from the the American Psychiatric Association and its upcoming Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5).

While they acknowledge that the goal of DSM "is to provide a common language for describing psychopathology" they are no longer convinced that approach has value if we are going to solve 21st century cognitive science problems. It is, paraphrasing the statement  of Thomas R. Insel, M.D., Director of the National Institute of Mental Health, more of a dictionary than a manual.  He uses the term "Bible" instead of 'manual' but I would have used 'glossary' rather than 'dictionary'.

Insel pulls no punches in his statement on why they are not going to fund things based on DSM criteria any more.

"The weakness is its lack of validity. Unlike our definitions of ischemic heart disease, lymphoma, or AIDS, the DSM diagnoses are based on a consensus about clusters of clinical symptoms, not any objective laboratory measure."

This is a charge leveled at psychology as well, and the field in general, but psychiatry takes the biggest hits, because they are supposed to be the most evidence-based. Unlike psychology, psychiatrists have to be M.D.s first. Writing in The New Yorker, Gary Greenberg tries to tackle why cognitive science hasn't kept pace with medicine, much less the physical and life and earth sciences, writing rather nicely that "it’s not entirely clear that psychiatrists want a solution to the problem."

Insel is more blunt. "DSM diagnoses are based on a consensus about clusters of clinical symptoms, not any objective laboratory measure. In the rest of medicine, this would be equivalent to creating diagnostic systems based on the nature of chest pain or the quality of fever."

Basically, he says DSM is stuck in the past.

Indeed, symptom-based diagnosis, once common in other areas of medicine, has been largely replaced in the past half century as we have understood that symptoms alone rarely indicate the best choice of treatment.

Patients with mental disorders deserve better.
NIMH is leaving the past behind. In the past, Insel notes, they would reject a biomarker that did not match a DSM category. Now they instead want to collect how all data - genetic, imaging, physiologic and cognitive - cluster, and not just how symptoms do. They call it the Research Domain Criteria (RDoC) project.

"That is why NIMH will be re-orienting its research away from DSM categories.," he wrote, and that means funding applicants are going to have to adjust to the 21st century.

The APA may be outraged, and certainly some DSM-5 defenders, but I predict people in cognitive science who want to really do science and get NIMH funding are relieved that they are not going to have to cater to a document everyone seems to know was always flawed.

Pasted from
< http://www.science20.com/science_20/blog/nimh... ;

“Reality is better than truth.”

Since: Nov 09

Indianapolis

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#97
Aug 6, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

Calm down, honey. Go have an e-meter session and get audited. Your thetans are dyspeptic.
HumanSpirit wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would you want to treat someone with the no science, no explanation for mental illness, mental health industry?
Does someones expression and exchanges of ideas and opinions offend your belief system?
Sounds to me like you need to rudder your Titanic a little more to avoid the icebergs of free thought and actions in this democratic society.. I suggest you may be into smooth sailing with a few side effects to the prescription for mind drugs and can't take the waves.
Have a good day

“Reality is better than truth.”

Since: Nov 09

Indianapolis

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#98
Aug 6, 2013
 

Judged:

1

ILLUMINATI???

Nuff said.
HumanSpirit wrote:
The Illuminati Formula Used to Create an Undetectable Total Mind Controlled Slave
Pasted from < http://www.whale.to/b/springmeier_formula.htm... ;
HumanSpirit

Alachua, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#99
Aug 6, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

cpeter1313 wrote:
Oh, look...more non-doctors trying to pose as experts.
<quoted text>
Not at all. Not a doctor or some freak from the Mental Health Industry attempting to diagnose based on no science, no medical model. No evidence based medicine or any-type of test for chemical imbalance of the brain when they Mental Health don't know what a proper balance is.. I don't have an interest in imaging the brain because it is obvious they don't know what they are looking at.

I have an interest in science a little bit more then you.

“Reality is better than truth.”

Since: Nov 09

Indianapolis

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#100
Aug 6, 2013
 

Judged:

1

"Action unknown" means it works but they can't say for sure how--like aspirin. Or like turning on a lamp, even though we can't determine for sure if light is particulate, a wave, or a combination of both.
HumanSpirit wrote:
<quoted text>
NAMI stated they don't except the APA DSM-5
The entire diagnoses for analysis and use of medications is based on speculation in Psychiatry Check the medication actions in the PDR and almost every one uses words like "action unknown" or "possibly" for a code. The Mental Health has no science. No medical model. No evidence based medicine and no test for chemical balance of the brain.
HumanSpirit

Alachua, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#101
Aug 6, 2013
 
cpeter1313

Did you really put that under your name or did it just appear as a prank by someone who has access to your account or computer..

“Reality is better than truth.”

LOL

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#103
Aug 6, 2013
 

Judged:

1

Yet another thread hijacked by a whacko ... this time by a Scientologist.

Are these trolls actually smarter than we are?
HumanSpirit

Alachua, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#104
Aug 6, 2013
 
Sparkle_is_stripper wrote:
this bill needs to pass... freak show torture christains have no business trying to change anyone
I agree. The Pharmaceutical / Mental Health industry and the mind drugging of American children and chemical changing of personalities without consent has to stop. Its differently a Human and Civil right violation that needs to be addressed.
HumanSpirit

Alachua, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#106
Aug 6, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

snyper wrote:
Yet another thread hijacked by a whacko ... this time by a Scientologist.
Are these trolls actually smarter than we are?
Listen to the venom coming out of these few select Mental Health supporters who hate free thought, actions and Constitutional privileges. This one is a winner.

These characters (friends I hope) above are Attacking everyone sporting any intellect or reasons for questioning any mental health intention with the only verbal weapon they have: Calling them all whacko's and Scientologists. LOL...

I have some names for the mental health personal too but I usually keep them to myself to give those type people the opportunity to face reality to their profession and the demeanor for that type person who would choose such a career considering the lack of any respect and dignity.

I know under the Prison reform act that there are a lot of new Psychologists to the profession released early. I understand the waving of educational fees in cities are also done to attract those that reside in the Red-light district areas with their moms and sisters to get the family off welfare and get some type of an education usually chose this mental health industry profession to feel comfortable with the "make it up of the as you go along DSM theories" kind of like they did in the drug infected areas of home sporting the colorful lights, lip service of words and music from the sirens of government vehicles.

Quite frankly in jest, I would trust a lunatic or terrorist sporting a chrome plated revolver pointed at my Family jewels (medically called my testicles ) before I would trust a mental health worker.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#107
Aug 7, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

cpeter1313 wrote:
Has it fu**ing well occurred to you that there would BE no profits if the drugs didn't work? Politicians don't prescribe drugs; doctors do. Patients take it, and most are helped. There isn't a drug in the world that works the same way for everyone; psychotropics are no different.
You keep harping on the fact that everyone has a distinct brain chemistry, which is absolutely correct. There is no universal baseline--just like EVERY OTHER system in the body. That's why there are various approaches to every system, using different drugs to produce the desired effect.
BTW--we haven't a CLUE how aspirin works, so I guess it doesn't, right?
I have excellent night vision; I can see my black cat in a dark room. Maybe you should have your eyes checked.
You will now be booked under godwin's law.
<quoted text>
Ironically, this is why psychiatry is outdated, it is nothing more than enforcing stereotypes and baselining everyone. Psychology is based entirely on science, it's also much more realistic and advanced, psychiatry is the mental chiropractics, higher risk with almost no benefit.

“Reality is better than truth.”

Since: Nov 09

Indianapolis

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#108
Aug 7, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

It's mine, and I stand by it. Truth is subjective--every person has their own, every religion and philosophy has its own. Reality is what is left once you strip away all the subjectives.
HumanSpirit wrote:
cpeter1313
Did you really put that under your name or did it just appear as a prank by someone who has access to your account or computer..
“Reality is better than truth.”
LOL

“Reality is better than truth.”

Since: Nov 09

Indianapolis

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#109
Aug 7, 2013
 

Judged:

1

You are displaying neither intellect nor reason. You decry the entire profession and ignore the MILLIONS of people ho have been helped by mental health professionals.

It's also interesting that you are such an elitist, demeaning those who are born to poor circumstances. As for ex-cons, you posted nothing but nonsense. Do you not understand even basic requirements for healthcare workers? Most crime disqualify one from being in the profession. Feel free to quote the part of the prison reform act that says ex-cons can become psychiatrists.
HumanSpirit wrote:
<quoted text>
Listen to the venom coming out of these few select Mental Health supporters who hate free thought, actions and Constitutional privileges. This one is a winner.
These characters (friends I hope) above are Attacking everyone sporting any intellect or reasons for questioning any mental health intention with the only verbal weapon they have: Calling them all whacko's and Scientologists. LOL...
I have some names for the mental health personal too but I usually keep them to myself to give those type people the opportunity to face reality to their profession and the demeanor for that type person who would choose such a career considering the lack of any respect and dignity.
I know under the Prison reform act that there are a lot of new Psychologists to the profession released early. I understand the waving of educational fees in cities are also done to attract those that reside in the Red-light district areas with their moms and sisters to get the family off welfare and get some type of an education usually chose this mental health industry profession to feel comfortable with the "make it up of the as you go along DSM theories" kind of like they did in the drug infected areas of home sporting the colorful lights, lip service of words and music from the sirens of government vehicles.
Quite frankly in jest, I would trust a lunatic or terrorist sporting a chrome plated revolver pointed at my Family jewels (medically called my testicles ) before I would trust a mental health worker.

“Reality is better than truth.”

Since: Nov 09

Indianapolis

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#110
Aug 7, 2013
 

Judged:

2

1

1

I can't go along with that; I saw too many patients helped by psychiatric administration of drugs to dismiss it.

Psychiatrists don't baseline any more than any other MD does; there are parameters with fairly standard limits. Why do you think psychiatry isn't based on science?
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Ironically, this is why psychiatry is outdated, it is nothing more than enforcing stereotypes and baselining everyone. Psychology is based entirely on science, it's also much more realistic and advanced, psychiatry is the mental chiropractics, higher risk with almost no benefit.

“I call it as I see it.”

Since: Jul 09

Retirement City

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#111
Aug 7, 2013
 

Judged:

2

1

1

cpeter1313 wrote:
I can't go along with that; I saw too many patients helped by psychiatric administration of drugs to dismiss it.
Psychiatrists don't baseline any more than any other MD does; there are parameters with fairly standard limits. Why do you think psychiatry isn't based on science?
<quoted text>
I am inclined to agree.
HumanSpirit

Alachua, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#112
Aug 7, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

People helped by the mental health industry...lol

Seven dirty secrets that counselors and mental health pros will never reveal

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/041478_psychologis...

(NaturalNews) As a manager care insider and licensed mental health counselor for many years, I understand that what I am about to tell you harms the credibility of the industry.

I'm glad, because the conventional mental health system is a cruel joke.

What I am about the share comes from my personal experience working under the supervision of psychiatrists and clinical psychologists, as well as the bean counters that make the rules in standard mental health practice.

It's ugly.

Nevertheless, the following is based on the actual "supervision" I regularly received as well as interactions with colleagues over a 10-year period.

1. Get 'em on drugs and out the door.
The practice manager actually said these words to me when I approached her to get approval for additional sessions for a particular client. More sessions equals more expense for the insurance company and practice managers must fall in line and keep counselors on a tight leash.

2. Hospitals don't heal anyone.
In mental health, hospitals are viewed as an expensive liability protector. When someone may kill themselves or someone else, they are sent to the hospital to cool off, but only if the insurance company views this as a way to keep from getting sued. "Nobody gets better in a hospital." I still remember these words from my supervisor.

3. Cover your butt first.
I was once told that it didn't matter which decision I made on behalf of the client, as long as I could make a good case for it in my notes. The perspective is this: Write your case notes knowing that they may be reviewed one day as part of a lawsuit and make sure your butt is covered, regardless of how you direct the client.

4. Money determines the diagnosis.
Stronger, more serious diagnoses get obligatory approval for more sessions, which means more income for the practitioner. In the agency I worked for, counselors routinely and automatically diagnose the worst mental illness they could possibly justify, as you can imagine.

5. Money determines what truth is told.
When someone comes to see you for emotional development, you often need to tell them things they don't want to hear. After all, we do largely create our own problems and then deny what we are doing.

Often, people get defensive and don't want to hear the truth. The art of skillful counseling lies in being able to deliver the bad news in a way that the client can accept and learn from.

Many counselors, for fear of offending (and losing) their clients, withhold the truth so the client will keep coming. This is an unethical form of collusion that hurts the client and his family, of course.

6. Professional boundaries create a false image of your helper.
Counselors are people too and struggle with their own issues, often more than average. Due to strict professional boundaries, counselors don't share anything about their own lives. Of course, this can lead you to pouring your heart out to someone who has worse problems than you do and who cannot find solutions in his or her own life.

7. You are just a number in a bean counter's register.
The bottom line is that it's about the bottom line. So many clients, so much money. Keep the practices full, the insurance companies appeased and the revolving door turning.
HumanSpirit

Alachua, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#113
Aug 7, 2013
 

Judged:

1

More help from the political confusion of the mental health industry.

Psychiatric Diagnosis: Too Little Science, Too Many Conflicts of Interest [i]
 
Paula J. Caplan, Ph.D.
 
Harvard University
 
Snip:
 
The Concerns
 
There is a lot of pain and suffering in the world, and it is tempting to believe that the mental health community knows how to help. It is widely believed, both by mental health professionals and the general population, that if only a person gets the right psychiatric diagnosis, the therapist will know what kind of measures will be the most helpful. Unfortunately, that is not usually the case, and getting a psychiatric diagnosis can often create more problems than it solves, including a lifetime of being labeled, difficulties with obtaining affordable (or any) health insurance (due to now having a pre-existing condition), loss of employment, loss of child custody, the overlooking of physical illnesses and injuries because of everything being attributed to psychological factors, and the loss of the right to make decisions about one’s medical and legal affairs. The creation and use of psychiatric diagnosis, unlike, for instance, psychiatric drugs, is not overseen by any regulatory body, and rarely does anyone raise the question of what role the assignment of a psychiatric label has played in creating problems for individuals.[ii]
 
The Problematic History
 
These serious limitations have not prevented the authors of the American Psychiatric Association’s (APA) Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM), sometimes known as “the therapist’s Bible,” from making expansive claims about their knowledge and authority and wielding enormous power to decide who will and will not be called mentally ill and what the varieties of alleged mental illness will be. The DSM’s current edition is called DSM-IV-TR, and it was preceded by the original DSM (in 1952), then DSM-II (1968), DSM-III (1980), DSM-III-R (Third Edition Revised)(1987), DSM-IV (1994), and DSM-IV-TR (2000). The DSM-V is currently in preparation and slated for 2013 publication. Each time a new edition appears, the media ask whichever psychiatrist is the lead editor why a new edition was necessary, and like clockwork, each editor replies that it was because the previous edition really wasn’t scientific (Caplan, 1995). And each time a new edition appears, it contains many more categories than does the previous one. For instance, DSM-III-R contained 297 categories, and DSM-IV contained 374 (Caplan, 1995).
 
I served as an advisor to two of the DSM-IV committees, before resigning due to serious concerns after witnessing how fast and loose they play with the scientific research related to diagnosis (Caplan, 1995). The DSM is widely used, not only in the mental health system, but also in general medical practice, in schools, and in the courts. I have been involved since 1985 in trying to alert both therapists and the public to the manual’s unscientific nature and the dangers that believing in its objectivity poses. Since then, I have watched with interest a national trend toward gradually increasing openness to the idea that psychiatric diagnosis (A)is largely unscientific,(B)is highly subjective and political, and (C)can cause untold harm, ranging from the patients’ lowered self-confidence to loss of custody of children to loss of health insurance (because any psychiatric label can be considered evidence of a pre-existing condition) to loss of the right to make decisions about their medical and legal affairs.
 
More of this article:
 
http://awpsych.org/index.php...
HumanSpirit

Alachua, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#114
Aug 7, 2013
 

Judged:

1

Lawrence Stevens, JD warns to stay away from psychiatrists

snip:

Lawrence Stevens, JD is a lawyer who has written extensively about the hazards of psychiatry. In one of his commentaries, "Psychiatric Stigma follows you everywhere you go for the rest of your life" Stevens eloquently attacks the propaganda of the psychiatrists themselves who insist that seeing them can only be of assistance and will not hurt you. Stevens points out that a serious problem you should think about before consulting a mental health professional, or encouraging someone else to do so, is the stigma of having received the so-called therapy.

How are you going to answer questions on job applications, applications for occupational or professional licenses, a driver's license, applications for health or life insurance, and school and college applications, such as "Have you ever had psychiatric or psychological therapy?" if you seek counseling or "therapy" from a psychiatrist or psychologist. You will often be required to answer this or a similar question when you apply for a job or occupational license or a driver's license or apply for an insurance policy or admission to an educational program .
Stevens goes on to explain when you answer such questions candidly and admit having received psychiatric or psychological "help", the result generally will be loss of important opportunities. An answer of yes to such questions often results in rejection for employment or licensure or admission to college or other educational program or denial of insurance coverage. And if you conceal your experience of psychiatric or psychological "therapy" by answering "no", thereafter you will have to be careful to watch what you say and to whom, since you run the risk of being fired from a job or expelled from school or suffering revocation of licensure if your deception is ever discovered.

More:

Pasted from < http://www.examiner.com/article/lawrence-stev... ;
HumanSpirit

Alachua, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#115
Aug 7, 2013
 

Judged:

1

cpeter1313 wrote:
You are displaying neither intellect nor reason. You decry the entire profession and ignore the MILLIONS of people ho have been helped by mental health professionals.
It's also interesting that you are such an elitist, demeaning those who are born to poor circumstances. As for ex-cons, you posted nothing but nonsense. Do you not understand even basic requirements for health-care workers? Most crime disqualify one from being in the profession. Feel free to quote the part of the prison reform act that says ex-cons can become psychiatrists.
<quoted text>
Not the psychiatrist as you stated but the psychologist is permissible under the Prison educational reform act of certain states and the Federal prison system.. The prisoner can educate themselves on just about any subject they want.

My statement:

I know under the Prison reform act that there are a lot of new Psychologists to the profession released early.

Clarification:

You are correct that the licensing of a person is under the State to which the the convict can apply for a license but that doesn't mean he will qualify.

Look at those that have a license and the crimes and atrocities they commit on patients including children...

It is doubtful a license would be granted considering the ARMY of Mental Health and Social Workers roaming around the Prisons at the government cost. Lets not forget the manipulation of the Prisoners mind and giving out mind drugs and probably experimental drugs like candy at a billable cost to the government. I'll report back as this now tips my interest

“Reality is better than truth.”

Since: Nov 09

Indianapolis

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#116
Aug 8, 2013
 

Judged:

1

And he backs this up with what?

Natural News is a blogger site that also sells vitamins and "natural" supplements; anyone can post anything as long as it is against standardized medicine.
HumanSpirit wrote:
People helped by the mental health industry...lol
Seven dirty secrets that counselors and mental health pros will never reveal
Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/041478_psychologis...
(NaturalNews) As a manager care insider and licensed mental health counselor for many years, I understand that what I am about to tell you harms the credibility of the industry.
I'm glad, because the conventional mental health system is a cruel joke.
What I am about the share comes from my personal experience working under the supervision of psychiatrists and clinical psychologists, as well as the bean counters that make the rules in standard mental health practice.
It's ugly.
Nevertheless, the following is based on the actual "supervision" I regularly received as well as interactions with colleagues over a 10-year period.
1. Get 'em on drugs and out the door.
The practice manager actually said these words to me when I approached her to get approval for additional sessions for a particular client. More sessions equals more expense for the insurance company and practice managers must fall in line and keep counselors on a tight leash.
2. Hospitals don't heal anyone.
In mental health, hospitals are viewed as an expensive liability protector. When someone may kill themselves or someone else, they are sent to the hospital to cool off, but only if the insurance company views this as a way to keep from getting sued. "Nobody gets better in a hospital." I still remember these words from my supervisor.
3. Cover your butt first.
I was once told that it didn't matter which decision I made on behalf of the client, as long as I could make a good case for it in my notes. The perspective is this: Write your case notes knowing that they may be reviewed one day as part of a lawsuit and make sure your butt is covered, regardless of how you direct the client.
4. Money determines the diagnosis.
Stronger, more serious diagnoses get obligatory approval for more sessions, which means more income for the practitioner. In the agency I worked for, counselors routinely and automatically diagnose the worst mental illness they could possibly justify, as you can imagine.
5. Money determines what truth is told.
When someone comes to see you for emotional development, you often need to tell them things they don't want to hear. After all, we do largely create our own problems and then deny what we are doing.
Often, people get defensive and don't want to hear the truth. The art of skillful counseling lies in being able to deliver the bad news in a way that the client can accept and learn from.
Many counselors, for fear of offending (and losing) their clients, withhold the truth so the client will keep coming. This is an unethical form of collusion that hurts the client and his family, of course.
6. Professional boundaries create a false image of your helper.
Counselors are people too and struggle with their own issues, often more than average. Due to strict professional boundaries, counselors don't share anything about their own lives. Of course, this can lead you to pouring your heart out to someone who has worse problems than you do and who cannot find solutions in his or her own life.
7. You are just a number in a bean counter's register.
The bottom line is that it's about the bottom line. So many clients, so much money. Keep the practices full, the insurance companies appeased and the revolving door turning.

“Reality is better than truth.”

Since: Nov 09

Indianapolis

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#117
Aug 8, 2013
 

Judged:

1

Caplan's problem stems from a fear of people being "labeled" but offers no alternative to practical standards. Moreover, you'll note she doesn't say that psychology/psychiatry is itself wrong, just some practices.
HumanSpirit wrote:
More help from the political confusion of the mental health industry.
Psychiatric Diagnosis: Too Little Science, Too Many Conflicts of Interest [i]
 
Paula J. Caplan, Ph.D.
 
Harvard University
 
Snip:
 
The Concerns
 
There is a lot of pain and suffering in the world, and it is tempting to believe that the mental health community knows how to help. It is widely believed, both by mental health professionals and the general population, that if only a person gets the right psychiatric diagnosis, the therapist will know what kind of measures will be the most helpful. Unfortunately, that is not usually the case, and getting a psychiatric diagnosis can often create more problems than it solves, including a lifetime of being labeled, difficulties with obtaining affordable (or any) health insurance (due to now having a pre-existing condition), loss of employment, loss of child custody, the overlooking of physical illnesses and injuries because of everything being attributed to psychological factors, and the loss of the right to make decisions about one’s medical and legal affairs. The creation and use of psychiatric diagnosis, unlike, for instance, psychiatric drugs, is not overseen by any regulatory body, and rarely does anyone raise the question of what role the assignment of a psychiatric label has played in creating problems for individuals.[ii]
 
The Problematic History
 
These serious limitations have not prevented the authors of the American Psychiatric Association’s (APA) Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM), sometimes known as “the therapist’s Bible,” from making expansive claims about their knowledge and authority and wielding enormous power to decide who will and will not be called mentally ill and what the varieties of alleged mental illness will be. The DSM’s current edition is called DSM-IV-TR, and it was preceded by the original DSM (in 1952), then DSM-II (1968), DSM-III (1980), DSM-III-R (Third Edition Revised)(1987), DSM-IV (1994), and DSM-IV-TR (2000). The DSM-V is currently in preparation and slated for 2013 publication. Each time a new edition appears, the media ask whichever psychiatrist is the lead editor why a new edition was necessary, and like clockwork, each editor replies that it was because the previous edition really wasn’t scientific (Caplan, 1995). And each time a new edition appears, it contains many more categories than does the previous one. For instance, DSM-III-R contained 297 categories, and DSM-IV contained 374 (Caplan, 1995).
 
I served as an advisor to two of the DSM-IV committees, before resigning due to serious concerns after witnessing how fast and loose they play with the scientific research related to diagnosis (Caplan, 1995). The DSM is widely used, not only in the mental health system, but also in general medical practice, in schools, and in the courts. I have been involved since 1985 in trying to alert both therapists and the public to the manual’s unscientific nature and the dangers that believing in its objectivity poses. Since then, I have watched with interest a national trend toward gradually increasing openness to the idea that psychiatric diagnosis (A)is largely unscientific,(B)is highly subjective and political, and (C)can cause untold harm, ranging from the patients’ lowered self-confidence to loss of custody of children to loss of health insurance (because any psychiatric label can be considered evidence of a pre-existing condition) to loss of the right to make decisions about their medical and legal affairs.
 
More of this article:
 
http://awpsych.org/index.php...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••