Gay couple in Yellowknife fight landl...

Gay couple in Yellowknife fight landlord over apartment lease

There are 29 comments on the The Chronicle-Journal story from Jun 24, 2010, titled Gay couple in Yellowknife fight landlord over apartment lease. In it, The Chronicle-Journal reports that:

A landlord who said he feared God's wrath has found himself in front of the Human Rights Commission in the Northwest Territories after refusing two gay men an apartment.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Chronicle-Journal.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Your Gods' Rules not mine.”

Since: Apr 07

Indianapolis

#21 Jun 27, 2010
Barney Stinson wrote:
<quoted text> That is not what I am saying at all. I'm saying that if God forced us to believe in him, it would be an empty existence. Free will is the most important aspect of love and respect. When someone is required to love or respect you, you don't actually feel loved and respected, because there is no choice in the matter.
So its better to have lunatics who murder and mutilate people in the name of "GOD"? Tell that to the busloads of children blown up by the Intifada or the Palestinians being starved to death by the Jews. A plague on all their houses.

Since: Dec 08

Toronto, ON, Canada

#22 Jun 27, 2010
WAW wrote:
Seems Adam, Eve and the snake all relied on faith and got screwed.
The snake was just trying to be helpful and get humans to think, but the sky god evidently did not like his creations to be able to think enough to question his somewhat doubtful existence.

Since: Jun 09

Saint Louis, MO

#23 Jun 28, 2010
lndychick wrote:
<quoted text>
So its better to have lunatics who murder and mutilate people in the name of "GOD"? Tell that to the busloads of children blown up by the Intifada or the Palestinians being starved to death by the Jews. A plague on all their houses.
Those people are all sorts of crazy, and they would murder and mutilate in the name of potatoes if they had a persuasive enough person leading them in it.
People that kill in the name of god do not understand god, or have a vastly different god than i know.

“Untouchable!!!!”

Since: May 07

Whitney Pier

#24 Jun 29, 2010
I am ashamed to say I live here in Yellowknife. The rents first off are way over priced, the wages done even match the cost of living. People..up here these folks will charge you 1300-1500 for that apt in question here, but the minimum wage is 9.90. though most employers will pay 12-15 to start..do the math...and above all...we recognize gay marriage here,its legal....this dufus has no place in rentals to the public and I hope this couple kicks his ass is civil court.
Short Left Index Finger

Toronto, Canada

#25 Jun 30, 2010
The most noisy messiest neighbors that I've had throughtout childhood,were heterosexuals.One single black mother,used to have men over in her home and get into fights with them.Another married couple were weekend alcoholics and he was a weirdo and wife-beatr.
Darby

Chisasibi, Canada

#26 Aug 16, 2013
Let's play Devil's Advocate here. If this was a gay couple who owned a bunch of apartments and a practicing Catholic/Christian family moved in or if a family who was very anti-abortion moved in, do you think the gay landlords would welcoming of them. Speaking of discrimination, my friend worked at the Pottery Barn one year. He is a very kind man who even has friends who consider themselves gay. He was nice to everyone he worked with. But as soon as the liberal, homosexual staff found out he was an Orthodox Christian, they treated him like dirt. How's that for tolerance and diversity?

As for me, I am a practicing Catholic. If a gay couple wanted to rent an apartment downstairs, I'd maintain a "don't ask, don't tell policy" and leave them alone.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#27 Aug 16, 2013
Bob wrote:
So, then, why do these religious people have to flaunt their religion and stuff it in our faces
Maybe they'll stop when you stop.

Toronto, ON, Canada

#28 Aug 17, 2013
Darby wrote:
Let's play Devil's Advocate here. If this was a gay couple who owned a bunch of apartments and a practicing Catholic/Christian family moved in or if a family who was very anti-abortion moved in, do you think the gay landlords would welcoming of them. Speaking of discrimination, my friend worked at the Pottery Barn one year. He is a very kind man who even has friends who consider themselves gay. He was nice to everyone he worked with. But as soon as the liberal, homosexual staff found out he was an Orthodox Christian, they treated him like dirt. How's that for tolerance and diversity?
As for me, I am a practicing Catholic. If a gay couple wanted to rent an apartment downstairs, I'd maintain a "don't ask, don't tell policy" and leave them alone.
If I as a gay person and an atheist owned an apartment I would rent it, as required by law in both the US and Canada, to anyone who did not have a bad credit report. It would be none of my business if they were Muslim terrorists trying to blow up the Golden Gate bridge, so long as I was not aware of the fact that they were. You are projecting thinking onto other people. As far as what you state above, your "policy" seems to indicate that if they posted a rainbow sticker on the inside of a window, you would try to kick them out even though the lease did not say anything about stickers on windows.

Toronto, ON, Canada

#29 Aug 17, 2013
BTW, I'd think in a place like Yellowknife, people would be glad to find any tenants - who'd want to live there?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Towsday Night JADE Thread 29 min Rainbow Kid 2
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 52 min Respect71 38,526
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 1 hr Poof1 14,766
News Actress who played TV psychic, Miss Cleo, dies ... 7 hr Fa-Foxy 2
News FDA Signals Relaxing Gay Blood Donation Policy 7 hr Xstain Mullah Aroma 2
News All gay and bisexual men should get meningitis ... 8 hr Xstain Mullah Aroma 3
News Excited by Trump, gay Republicans struggle with... 8 hr Frankie Rizzo 158
More from around the web