Gay couple in Yellowknife fight landlord over apartment lease

Jun 24, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Chronicle-Journal

A landlord who said he feared God's wrath has found himself in front of the Human Rights Commission in the Northwest Territories after refusing two gay men an apartment.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of29
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Dec 08

Toronto, ON, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2010

Judged:

If God existed, I'm sure he/she/it/they would have better thing to do than worry about whether a landlord in the far north was renting to gay people.
Leftatalbuquerqu e

Toronto, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2010

JohnInToronto wrote:
If God existed, I'm sure he/she/it/they would have better thing to do than worry about whether a landlord in the far north was renting to gay people.
God IS looking - and God is the Law! And the law says, Thou shalt not discriminate in Canada.

WAW

Since: Dec 07

T.O.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2010

Judged:

He can decide as to who he would invite to stay overnight in his home as a guest but when it comes to renting out an apartment he is sh*t out of luck.
Bob

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2010

Judged:

Some people believe in God, some don't. I don't. If there is a God, he shouldn't allow people to fight over his existance. How simple would it be for him to prove it? He must be an evil God.
So, then, why do these religious people have to flaunt their religion and stuff it in our faces and ruin our lives over it? They complain about us flaunting our lives in front of them.

They have no proof of their convictions besides an ancient peice of fiction. This happens in the US all the time and I always thought Canadians were more enlightened, but this religious disease is creeping up there too. Canada is where my ancestors come from and it makes me sick.

“Fight bigotry.”

Since: Feb 07

Toms River, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2010

Judged:

Far too many people use God, or at least their twisted interpretations of religious tomes, to justify their discrimination against other people.
Bob wrote:
Some people believe in God, some don't. I don't. If there is a God, he shouldn't allow people to fight over his existance. How simple would it be for him to prove it? He must be an evil God.
So, then, why do these religious people have to flaunt their religion and stuff it in our faces and ruin our lives over it? They complain about us flaunting our lives in front of them.
They have no proof of their convictions besides an ancient peice of fiction. This happens in the US all the time and I always thought Canadians were more enlightened, but this religious disease is creeping up there too. Canada is where my ancestors come from and it makes me sick.

Since: Jun 09

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2010

Bob wrote:
If God decided to force everyone to believe in him, he would be taking away our free will, which is the only thing that makes love meaningful. If you create something for the sole puropse of having it love you without question, it doesn't feel like love, because there is no choice behind it. By giving us the choice of whether to love God, or to even believe in God, allows God to be glorified. If God proved he exists, it would take away our free will to believe, and take away faith and the choice to love. It would be an empty existence for all of us. Now this doesn't prove that God does exist, but it your reasoning definitely doesn't prove that he doesn't exist.

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2010

ACLU-Tom wrote:
Far too many people use God, or at least their twisted interpretations of religious tomes, to justify their discrimination against other people.
<quoted text>
"their interpretations" is the key. People are imperfect, and are capable of misunderstanding. They are capable of misunderstanding God's message of love, forgiveness, and peace ... and turning it into a message of rules, hatred, punishment, and firey depths of hell.
In the bible, Jesus was asked the greatest commandment, and he said "love your neighbor as yourself", not "do not associate with the gays". If this man actually understood what his own religion tells him, he wouldn't act like this. He (or his teachers) have twisted the principles of the religion from love to hatred.

“Raising money for Prop H8!”

Since: Feb 09

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2010

The landlord can find another business if he does not want to deal with gays and lesbians. I understand being a hermit can offer lots of alone time and room for advancement within the field.

I would like to point out that Baptists have a long history of bigotry andd using the bible to defend it.

In the United States the Baptist church split in two during the American Civil War. In the South, Baptists were the dominant religion and the faith used the bible to defend slavery and seperation from the north. It was not until the 1980s that the church finally apologized for its stand.
Bob

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2010

Judged:

Barney Stinson wrote:
<quoted text>
If God decided to force everyone to believe in him, he would be taking away our free will, which is the only thing that makes love meaningful. If you create something for the sole puropse of having it love you without question, it doesn't feel like love, because there is no choice behind it. By giving us the choice of whether to love God, or to even believe in God, allows God to be glorified. If God proved he exists, it would take away our free will to believe, and take away faith and the choice to love. It would be an empty existence for all of us. Now this doesn't prove that God does exist, but it your reasoning definitely doesn't prove that he doesn't exist.
I think what you're trying to say is that you choose to believe that if there were no God, it would be an empty existence, but I don't believe a Godless existance is empty. There's a whole world out there to keep it full.
Bob

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2010

Judged:

Barney Stinson wrote:
<quoted text>
God isn't trying to force us to believe in him, it's a certain fringe of people that demand that we do.

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2010

Judged:

Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
I think what you're trying to say is that you choose to believe that if there were no God, it would be an empty existence, but I don't believe a Godless existance is empty. There's a whole world out there to keep it full.
That is not what I am saying at all. I'm saying that if God forced us to believe in him, it would be an empty existence. Free will is the most important aspect of love and respect. When someone is required to love or respect you, you don't actually feel loved and respected, because there is no choice in the matter.

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2010

Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
God isn't trying to force us to believe in him, it's a certain fringe of people that demand that we do.
It was in response to the person that I quoted that said that if God were real, he would force people to believe in him. I do not think that that is true.
And i'm not one of those certain people. If other people don't want to believe in my God, that's fine with me. Heck, most people that say they are "christian" don't seem to know the same god that I do, so who knows.
Bob

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2010

Barney Stinson wrote:
<quoted text>It was in response to the person that I quoted that said that if God were real, he would force people to believe in him. I do not think that that is true.
And i'm not one of those certain people. If other people don't want to believe in my God, that's fine with me. Heck, most people that say they are "christian" don't seem to know the same god that I do, so who knows.
Okay, sorry, I was mistaken. We usually agree.
Duped since birth

Alexandria, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2010

Give me some evidence that there is a god.

(Hint: there isn't any)

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2010

Judged:

Duped since birth wrote:
Give me some evidence that there is a god.
(Hint: there isn't any)
give me some evidence that there isn't.(hint: there isn't any)(extra hint: that's why it is called faith)
Duped since birth

Alexandria, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2010

Ah, faith.

From Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary (1906) "Faith, n. Belief without evidence in what is told by one who speaks without knowledge, of things without parallel."

The non-answer always put forth when there is no answer.

However, please don't misconstrue, I appreciate your stances but find the whole god thing hard (impossible) to believe.

WAW

T.O.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2010

'faith' must have been a word invented by someone who realized the words 'trust me' didn't work anymore. probably someone selling snake oil way back when. maybe even 'Eve' when she gave the apple to 'Adam', if you believe that story. look what it got him.
Duped since birth

Alexandria, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2010

WAW wrote:
'faith' must have been a word invented by someone who realized the words 'trust me' didn't work anymore. probably someone selling snake oil way back when. maybe even 'Eve' when she gave the apple to 'Adam', if you believe that story. look what it got him.
LOL. And look what it got her. Women on this planet have been subjected to second class status for thousands of years. And that status continues to this day, enshrined in many religious institutions. What a crock!

Since: Dec 08

Toronto, ON, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2010

Duped since birth wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL. And look what it got her. Women on this planet have been subjected to second class status for thousands of years. And that status continues to this day, enshrined in many religious institutions. What a crock!
And the snake fared even worse. It is generally a useful creature that eats vermin and for thousands of years people have been associating it with evil!

WAW

T.O.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 27, 2010

Seems Adam, Eve and the snake all relied on faith and got screwed.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of29
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••