IN Hospital Which Turned Away Transwoman Coughing Up Blood To Make Diversity Policy Changes

Aug 8, 2010 Full story: lezgetreal.com 26

Mike Haley, the president and CEO of Ball Memorial Hospital in Muncie, Indiana, has finally fully addressed the reports about how a transwoman was turned away from the hospital after she arrived coughing up blood. Erin Vaught was not only turned away, she was called a ‘he-she’, a ‘transvestite’, an ‘it’, and largely made to feel that she was less than human and a person.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
CHAS

Dillon, CO

#1 Aug 8, 2010
Someone in Muncie needs to take pictures of the trolls who did this and get them on the internet. Those people should be subjected to repeated public scorn.
melinda

Campbell, CA

#2 Aug 8, 2010
What happened to the hippocratic oath? Do no harm.

Since: May 09

United States

#3 Aug 8, 2010
To paraphrase Robert Frost: Miles to go before we’re equal.

“Reality is better than truth.”

Since: Nov 09

Indianapolis

#4 Aug 8, 2010
Diversity policy my tuchus. It's NEVER acceptable for a medical professional to laugh at a patient or refuse to treat them. A "policy" isn't going to change things; these people need to find a new line of work--especially the idiot who supposedly said they didn't know how to treat a transgendered person.

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#5 Aug 8, 2010
My father lost enough blood from a broken vessel in the stomach that he almost died, ten years later he did it again and the Va in SF saved him.
coughing up blood is a very serious problem.

Hope she gets millions from them for the turn away.
And that it be inundated by men in dresses, transsexuals and female impersonators.

both in side and outside. But see that sick people are treated first.
Joseph Stager Jr

Cicero, NY

#6 Aug 8, 2010
This hospital broke Ethics & Confidentialiy (HIPAA), and they need to be fired from their jobs immidiately as they are NOT health care professionals . Once terminated from a healthcare job, you are blackballed from finding another job in the health care field. They should look for employment in Customer Service- that`s where they belong.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#7 Aug 8, 2010
Just more proof that the anti-gays are the scum of the earth.
Leftatalbuquerqu e

Canada

#8 Aug 8, 2010
Proof that we are seen as "gender" before we are seen as "human".

Since: Feb 08

Iowa City, Ia.

#9 Aug 8, 2010
How can this possibly be acceptable for people who swore an oath to do no harm?
Quincy

United States

#10 Aug 8, 2010
The filthy tranny probably scared the hospital workers, they weren't expecting some freak to show up cause it wasn't Halloween:)
Art

San Antonio, TX

#11 Aug 8, 2010
Local Iowan wrote:
It is possible because they are christians and their faith is false as is their god.

Religion is just plain hateful and corrupt and has no place in modern society.

Personally, I think these people should be tried as religious terrorists.

They are as bad as Al-krappa muslims.
Art

San Antonio, TX

#12 Aug 8, 2010
I pray they all die for their Christian treatment of Erin Vaught at Ball Memporial Hospital!

Jesus Saves but Christians S U C K!
Silva

Modesto, CA

#13 Aug 8, 2010
Quincy wrote:
The filthy tranny probably scared the hospital workers, they weren't expecting some freak to show up cause it wasn't Halloween:)
Well it's good to know there are 8 year olds still reading the news. Grow up.

Since: Jan 09

Central NJ

#14 Aug 9, 2010
I'm reminded of the case of Tyra Hunter who was abandoned by the Wash. DC EMTs when they discovered she wash Malebodied. She died because of it. I believe her family sued and won.
Terry

Central NJ

#15 Aug 9, 2010
Local Iowan wrote:
Trust us! These people don't think we're human so they're not violating any oaths by withholding treatment. Check the post after yours.
I googled Tyra Hunter and her mother was awarded $2.8 million
for the loss of her child. About $1.8 was for the pain and suffering and abuse she took.
Regards, Terry

“dyssonance hotmail”

Since: Mar 07

Phoenix, AZ

#16 Aug 9, 2010
Quincy wrote:
Now wait a sec, this is a story about a woman who was treated really badly by hospital workers int he midst of her serious medical need, and the hospital bosses saying "damn it, she's right, we did treat her lousy, and now we have brought her and others in to help us make sure it doesn't happen again".

How you get some story about a dirty transmission scaring people is beyond me.

Seems sorta, well, crazy to me.

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#17 Aug 9, 2010
Quincy wrote:
Dear Pumpkin Head.

It takes a very narrow mind to make fun of a person in need at a hospital. It was not that long ago that blood typing was available, it was a crap shoot before that.

Hospitals frequently turned away black people because they could. One evening a young black man came in by ambulance bleeding severely.
he was sent away to a black hospital, he died on the way.

Ironically almost all of us owe this man our lives, he is the one that found the means to type blood and it stopped death of hundreds of thousands from blood rejection that killed them.

Maybe if he had lived we would have a cure for Cancer, or know more about DNA 30 years sooner.

So go try the pumpkin drop at CBS and see if you burst like you sound. Spaapt.

Indianapolis

#18 Aug 9, 2010
I know--why would anyone take their dirty tranny to a hospital when they really need a mechanic? Some guys are just not realistic about their cars, I guess.

:)

Seriously, I can't believe this crap. IN doesn't need much help in looking like redneck heaven, and this doesn't help. When I worked at a clinic, one of the services we provided was helping transitioning transgenders learn target-gender speech and movement cues to help them fit more seamlessly into their real gender. It would not have even entered anyone's head to treat them any differently than any other patients. So not every clinic and hospital here is run by pigs. I would hate to have hoosier TG/TS's to fear getting treatment based on the actions of these troglodytes. Most medical professionals are nothing at all like them.
Dyssonance wrote:
<quoted text>
Now wait a sec, this is a story about a woman who was treated really badly by hospital workers int he midst of her serious medical need, and the hospital bosses saying "damn it, she's right, we did treat her lousy, and now we have brought her and others in to help us make sure it doesn't happen again".
How you get some story about a dirty transmission scaring people is beyond me.
Seems sorta, well, crazy to me.

Central NJ

#19 Aug 9, 2010
cpeter1313 wrote:
I know--why would anyone take their dirty tranny to a hospital when they really need a mechanic? Some guys are just not realistic about their cars, I guess.
:)
When I worked at a clinic, one of the services we provided was helping transitioning transgenders learn target-gender speech and movement cues to help them fit more seamlessly into their real gender. It would not have even entered anyone's head to treat them any differently than any other patients. <quoted text>
Would you share the name and location of that clinic?
regards, Terry

Indianapolis

#20 Aug 9, 2010
I can't--it has since closed; the partners went their separate ways. There is a clinician I know of, Patricia Chunn, MSCCC, who has done the same work. She's in Indy.
TerryE wrote:
<quoted text>
Would you share the name and location of that clinic?
regards, Terry

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The gay cafe for GLBT, friends and family (Oct '09) 6 min Die Hard Arkie 68,679
Same-Sex Marriage Trumps Religious Liberty in N... (Aug '13) 6 min Willothewisp 966
first gay experiences (Oct '11) 7 min Marvin 89
Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 15 min Respect71 8,146
Anti-gay Tenn. billboard stirs religion debate 28 min Abrahammock Regions 3,493
Ben Carson Warns Gay Couples Against Pushing Ba... 29 min kuda 35
Is Polygamy the Next Gay Marriage? 29 min Die Hard Arkie 4,872
Analysis: Equal rights or statesa rights on gay... 30 min Abrahammock Regions 235
GOP hopefuls weigh in on gay marriage 2 hr Marvin 57
Evangelicals to Gays: We Have Nothing For You |... (Mar '10) 4 hr janeebee 18,829
More from around the web