Majority Catholic Support Marriage Eq...

Majority Catholic Support Marriage Equality, New Poll Says

There are 17 comments on the EDGE story from Oct 9, 2013, titled Majority Catholic Support Marriage Equality, New Poll Says. In it, EDGE reports that:

According to a new poll, the majority of Catholics in the U.S. back gay marriage as well as the ordination of women to the priesthood, CatholicCulture.org reports.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at EDGE.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#1 Oct 9, 2013
No doubt.

“Marriage Equality”

Since: Dec 07

Lakeland, MI

#2 Oct 9, 2013
Catholic parishioners are WAY smarter than their clergy. Which actually isn't much of a surprised considering the parishioners live in the real world and the clergy does not.
David Traversa

Villa La Angostura, Argentina

#3 Oct 9, 2013
The Church ( any church ) has a lot to gain by siding with the gays .. We're a highly sensitive lot .. and the refining of the senses is what produces all good and great things in this world .

“=”

Since: Oct 07

Appleton WI

#4 Oct 9, 2013
eJohn wrote:
Catholic parishioners are WAY smarter than their clergy. Which actually isn't much of a surprised considering the parishioners live in the real world and the clergy does not.
Too bad they're still not quite smart enough to LEAVE the archaic, irrelevant institution. What's the point of identifying yourself as a Catholic if you don't really believe a lot of what the church teaches? Why give money to an organization that you really don't agree with?

“Marriage Equality”

Since: Dec 07

Lakeland, MI

#5 Oct 9, 2013
Tre H wrote:
<quoted text>
Too bad they're still not quite smart enough to LEAVE the archaic, irrelevant institution. What's the point of identifying yourself as a Catholic if you don't really believe a lot of what the church teaches? Why give money to an organization that you really don't agree with?
Agreed. Most of the Catholics *I* know have long ago left the church and don't EVER give money to it anymore. But they still consider themselves to be Catholic.

None of that makes any sense to me to begin with. I'm an atheist through and through. I can't imagine basing my belief system on what someone else was told to believe and I *really* can't imagine PAYING to be told what to think! WTH??

“=”

Since: Oct 07

Appleton WI

#6 Oct 11, 2013
eJohn wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed. Most of the Catholics *I* know have long ago left the church and don't EVER give money to it anymore. But they still consider themselves to be Catholic.
None of that makes any sense to me to begin with. I'm an atheist through and through. I can't imagine basing my belief system on what someone else was told to believe and I *really* can't imagine PAYING to be told what to think! WTH??
I don't understand that myself. I was raised Catholic, but I don't have any trouble telling people that I AM NOT CATHOLIC. The Catholic church does not own one bit of my soul. But why do people who believe we should have same sex marriage and equality for everyone, including women, think they still "belong" to something they really don't agree with? It's puzzling.

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#7 Oct 11, 2013
Tre H wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't understand that myself. I was raised Catholic, but I don't have any trouble telling people that I AM NOT CATHOLIC. The Catholic church does not own one bit of my soul. But why do people who believe we should have same sex marriage and equality for everyone, including women, think they still "belong" to something they really don't agree with? It's puzzling.
Thomas(Tre H)...I’m 60yrs. old and I left the Catholic Church over a year ago.

I’m still consider one of their members because I was baptized a Roman Catholic. In late August 2010, the Holy See confirmed that it was no longer possible to defect formally from the Holy Roman Catholic Church.

In other words once you are baptized Roman Catholic you can't be unbaptized. It's a done deal even though I had no say in the matter because I was 8 days old when it happened.

True, I have free will and they would never make me go back to church but in their eyes I will always be a Catholic.

Goes to should you how figures/numbers can be manipulated by the Catholic Church.
Sherlayne

Sparta, NJ

#8 Oct 12, 2013
Estelle wrote:
<quoted text>
Thomas(Tre H)...I’m 60yrs. old and I left the Catholic Church over a year ago.
I’m still consider one of their members because I was baptized a Roman Catholic. In late August 2010, the Holy See confirmed that it was no longer possible to defect formally from the Holy Roman Catholic Church.
In other words once you are baptized Roman Catholic you can't be unbaptized. It's a done deal even though I had no say in the matter because I was 8 days old when it happened.
True, I have free will and they would never make me go back to church but in their eyes I will always be a Catholic.
Goes to should you how figures/numbers can be manipulated by the Catholic Church.
A nun told me that "once a Catholic, always a Catholic." Then I'll just have to find a way to get them to excommunicate me. No violence though!
Michael

Canada

#9 Oct 12, 2013
Estelle wrote:
<quoted text>
Thomas(Tre H)...I’m 60yrs. old and I left the Catholic Church over a year ago.
I’m still consider one of their members because I was baptized a Roman Catholic. In late August 2010, the Holy See confirmed that it was no longer possible to defect formally from the Holy Roman Catholic Church.
In other words once you are baptized Roman Catholic you can't be unbaptized. It's a done deal even though I had no say in the matter because I was 8 days old when it happened.
True, I have free will and they would never make me go back to church but in their eyes I will always be a Catholic.
Goes to should you how figures/numbers can be manipulated by the Catholic Church.
The catholic church has no idea how many true followers they have. Recent polls indicate only 1 in 4 catholics attend mandatory sunday mass weekly. The vast majority of roman catholics practice or have practiced forms of birth control the church says is sinful. Millions of catholics are divorced and have new partners and the churchs says this is adultery.

If there are 68 Million baptized american catholics, I would say that under 15 million are devout.

Today in america 16% and growing claim they are non-religious. That is more than double in the last 10 years.

Secularism is growing. Secularism means free will.
Michael

Canada

#10 Oct 12, 2013
Sherlayne wrote:
<quoted text>
A nun told me that "once a Catholic, always a Catholic." Then I'll just have to find a way to get them to excommunicate me. No violence though!
According to the church you CANNOT dissolve a sacrament.

That is why the church does not condone or accept divorce.

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#11 Oct 13, 2013
Sherlayne wrote:
<quoted text>
A nun told me that "once a Catholic, always a Catholic." Then I'll just have to find a way to get them to excommunicate me. No violence though!
I personally renounced the Catholic faith, why give any credence to what the church thinks.

The Roman Catholic Church actually HAS NO authority over me even though they want to believe they do.
The reason they make it hard to be excommunicated it's because they want to leave that Catholic door open for you to comeback into the Roman Catholic fold. You can't be unbaptized.

Another thing to be noted, let's say you are a Lutheran and want to convert to Catholicism, the Roman Catholic Church will recognize your Lutheran baptism which means you will not be baptize again. The Catholic Church recognize Christian baptisms from other Protestants churches.

I didn't ask to become a member in the Catholic Church; therefore I don't need an official stamp from an authority I do not recognize!

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#12 Oct 13, 2013
Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
The catholic church has no idea how many true followers they have. Recent polls indicate only 1 in 4 catholics attend mandatory sunday mass weekly. The vast majority of roman catholics practice or have practiced forms of birth control the church says is sinful. Millions of catholics are divorced and have new partners and the churchs says this is adultery.
If there are 68 Million baptized american catholics, I would say that under 15 million are devout.
Today in america 16% and growing claim they are non-religious. That is more than double in the last 10 years.
Secularism is growing. Secularism means free will.
I agree about the numbers of church goers are down. Not has many week days and even weekend masses as it was in the past.

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#13 Oct 13, 2013
Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
According to the church you CANNOT dissolve a sacrament.
That is why the church does not condone or accept divorce.
I agree you can't dissolve a sacrament.

That's why it's so difficult for victims of clergy abuse and those who support them to realize a convicted sexual predator priest can be defrocked but still remain a priest forever even though his rights of saying mass in the church with people have been taken away.

Let's say a defrocked priest comes across a car accident and a person is badly hurt he still can give the last rites to a dying person because according to the church that is an extreme emergency situation.

I always thought that's one of the big reason the Catholic Church were covering up crimes and soft on their evil clergy because these men who are still priests because of the sacrament of their ordination.

Put in simple wording...the sacrament of ordination it's invisible the sign. If a member of the clergy dies and an autopsy is performed the doctor will not find anything inside the body that said this is a Catholic priest or even it's a Catholic person.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#14 Oct 13, 2013
Estelle wrote:
<quoted text>
Thomas(Tre H)...I’m 60yrs. old and I left the Catholic Church over a year ago.
I’m still consider one of their members because I was baptized a Roman Catholic. In late August 2010, the Holy See confirmed that it was no longer possible to defect formally from the Holy Roman Catholic Church.
In other words once you are baptized Roman Catholic you can't be unbaptized. It's a done deal even though I had no say in the matter because I was 8 days old when it happened.
True, I have free will and they would never make me go back to church but in their eyes I will always be a Catholic.
Goes to should you how figures/numbers can be manipulated by the Catholic Church.
All you need to do is go public with your disgust for their dogma. If you do it saying you are a Catholic they will excommunicate you. Then you will no longer be Catholic.

“=”

Since: Oct 07

Appleton WI

#15 Oct 14, 2013
Estelle wrote:
<quoted text>
Thomas(Tre H)...I’m 60yrs. old and I left the Catholic Church over a year ago.
I’m still consider one of their members because I was baptized a Roman Catholic. In late August 2010, the Holy See confirmed that it was no longer possible to defect formally from the Holy Roman Catholic Church.
In other words once you are baptized Roman Catholic you can't be unbaptized. It's a done deal even though I had no say in the matter because I was 8 days old when it happened.
True, I have free will and they would never make me go back to church but in their eyes I will always be a Catholic.
Goes to should you how figures/numbers can be manipulated by the Catholic Church.
Estelle, I think you are much more qualified and capable of defining yourself than the Catholic church is. What you think and believe about yourself is far more important than their silly denial that many people are no longer Catholic. And it IS just SILLY. Look, I was baptized and confirmed too. They still don't own me or my soul. They can deny all they want... I AM NOT CATHOLIC. If they want to INSIST that I'm still a Catholic, then they should let me tell an entire congregation what I believe and don't believe, and see if they WANT to claim me as a Catholic, LOL.
Sherlayne

Sparta, NJ

#16 Oct 14, 2013
Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
According to the church you CANNOT dissolve a sacrament.
That is why the church does not condone or accept divorce.
Hi, thanks for your response.

I'm on second marriage, so is my husband. I did obtain an annulment but he never did. So, according to RC rules, we'll go to hell no matter what we do.

I've always felt annulments were just loopholes but the old Catholic guilt got to me. So I'm not divorced? I seriously doubt a loving God would make certain rules that oftentimes trap people. It seems the Catholic God isn't very loving.

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#17 Oct 15, 2013
Tre H wrote:
<quoted text>
Estelle, I think you are much more qualified and capable of defining yourself than the Catholic church is. What you think and believe about yourself is far more important than their silly denial that many people are no longer Catholic. And it IS just SILLY. Look, I was baptized and confirmed too. They still don't own me or my soul. They can deny all they want... I AM NOT CATHOLIC. If they want to INSIST that I'm still a Catholic, then they should let me tell an entire congregation what I believe and don't believe, and see if they WANT to claim me as a Catholic, LOL.
I did leave the Catholic Church and I'm much more at ease and at peace.
I gather some Catholic folks wonder why I would leave at the age of 59 yrs.old, why not just stay Catholic to the end.
I say it's never too late to continue to be who I am.

I believe, I can still be a good person and NOT be a member of the Roman Catholic Church.

Please note...I'm not going to Rome for the canonization of Pope John Paul II. lol

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Turday Morning Jade Thread 1 min Gillie 3
Will NE Jade Apologise two Frankie twoday? 1 min Frankie Rizzo 13
News Obama: Notion that being armed would have saved... 4 min Tulips 976
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 6 min tbird19482 37,386
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 7 min Frankie Rizzo 13,155
News Sanders: Don't blame Islam for Orlando shooting 9 min Nopal 890
Greatest Gays 27 min Swede 6
More from around the web