Love on the March

Love on the March

There are 12 comments on the www.newyorker.com story from Nov 20, 2012, titled Love on the March. In it, www.newyorker.com reports that:

Reflections on the gay community’s political progress—and its future.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.newyorker.com.

Since: Dec 08

El Paso, TX

#1 Nov 20, 2012
Well done piece. Read it a few days ago. Well worth the time.
Qwerty26

Lewes, DE

#2 Nov 21, 2012
TomInElPaso wrote:
Well done piece. Read it a few days ago. Well worth the time.
I agree. Alex Ross does an excellent job of summarizing history and culture in regard to the gay community. A few excerpts that particularly caught my eye:

"Intolerance has a way of dissolving in one place and becoming feral in another. In large cities, being gay has never been easier; in some devout small towns, it may never have been harder. As American gays chatter of victory, their Iranian counterparts inhabit a medieval world of floggings and public hangings."

"Why has this small part of the population caused such vexation across the centuries? What inspires such profound contempt, contempt that is inscribed in the texts of several world religions?"

"The retreat of anti-gay feeling in the secular West probably has much to do with the realization that homosexuality is not a choice, a “life style,” but, rather, a life. I knew I was gay before I consciously met a gay person; I came out before I had sex. No life style drew me in; if anything, the life style kept me away."

"If, as Halperin and others insist, it is nonsense to speak of a gay-straight dichotomy in Greco-Roman times, it is also nonsense to insert the word “homosexuality” into the Old and New Testaments, as some modern translations do."

And possibly my most favorite:

"But the context for Jesus’ statement points up an underlying hypocrisy in the history of homophobia. The American divorce rate climbed steeply in the first part of the twentieth century, hitting an early peak in 1945. In this same period, homophobia intensified into official policy. The two developments may not be unrelated: a largely Christian nation, having abandoned Jesus’ teachings on divorce, reinforced its moral credentials at the expense of a friendless minority."
3OHY

San Jose, CA

#3 Nov 21, 2012
Gays talk of "homophobia" as if such existed. The core human, genetic revulsion of people having no control of themselves is not a fear. Radical pedophiles and total perverts have led the homosexual demand for special rights. A perfect example is the recent passing of a San Francisco ordinance banning public nudity. Friends of homosexuals themselves are driven to imposing laws not because of fear, but because of the outrageous behaviors of homosexuals. Exhibitionists are inherently neurotic and cowardly. They have to blame others for their personal problems.
lolol

Albuquerque, NM

#4 Nov 21, 2012
3% of the population with their 'look at me' mentality and they scratch their heads wondering why so much of the population ignores or shuns them. go figure.

Since: Dec 08

El Paso, TX

#5 Nov 21, 2012
Sorry sweets, a pair of Gays beats a couple of hate filled trolls. Take your game elsewhere.

“Equality First”

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#6 Nov 21, 2012
I have been part of the gay community for over 45 years, and have been active in gay-rights causes and organizations since 1969. I also knew members of the Mattachine society, and interviewed them for a gay-oriented newsletter about the history of the movement. With all that experience, I still learned quite a bit I didn't know from this article. I would recommend it to everyone even remotely interested in the movement. And thanks to Rick for posting it as a thread.

Since: Jun 11

AOL

#7 Nov 21, 2012
For anyone who doesn't understand what the word "homophobia" means, here is one definition. Note that fear is not required to fulfill the definition. Anyone who has read these threads will see the ample proof that it exists.

"Homophobia is a range of negative attitudes and feelings towards lesbian, gay, bisexual, and in some cases transgender and intersex people. Definitions refer variably to antipathy, contempt, prejudice, aversion, and irrational fear.[1][2][3] Homophobia is observable in critical and hostile behavior such as discrimination[1][2] and violence on the basis of a perceived non-heterosexual orientation. In a 1998 address, author, activist, and civil rights leader Coretta Scott King stated that "Homophobia is like racism and anti-Semitism and other forms of bigotry in that it seeks to dehumanize a large group of people, to deny their humanity, their dignity and personhood."[4]" (Wiki)

AOL

#8 Nov 21, 2012
How refrehing to see and article that recognizes the gay equal rights movement started long before Stonewall.

According to a new book by historian Robert Beachy, the genesis of the modern gay rights movement came in 19th century Germany.

"Modern conceptions of homosexuality began, ironically, with an anti-sodomy law. When the German empire was unified in 1871, the Imperial Criminal Code included a law prohibiting sexual penetration of one man by another. Questions about what types of activity should fall under the law spurred a sustained public inquiry into the nature of same-sex eroticism and sexuality in general.[snip] This new view of same-sex love was pioneered by German doctors who published early case studies of homosexuals in the 1850s. German psychiatrist Richard von Krafft-Ebing released the first edition of his hugely influential Psychopathia Sexualis in 1886, which included multiple case studies of homosexuals that supported this new position. Through his work, Krafft-Ebing became a vocal opponent of the German anti-sodomy law, stating that homosexuality "should not be viewed as a psychic depravity or even sickness."
Beachy claims the world's first gay rights group, the Wissenschaftlich-humanitäres Komitee (Scientific-Humanitarian Committee) came into being at that time to gather petition signatures to repeal the anti-sodomy law." His book: The German Invention Of Homosexuality.

AOL

#9 Nov 21, 2012
Here is a little more pre-Stonewall history. How nice to see an article that recognizes the first public gay rights organization in the U.S. was the Society for Human Rights (SHR) in 1924, organized by Henry Gerber, who was soon arrested. Organization attempts continued and the Mattachine Society emerged in 1950, followed by Daughters of Bilitis organized by Del Martin and Phyllis Lyon (the first couple married in California) and 6 others in San Francisco in 1955.

In the 1960s, the “homophile movement,” as the participants dubbed it, became more visible. Activists, such as Franklin Kameny and Barbara Gittings, picketed government agencies in Washington to protest discriminatory employment policies. In San Francisco, Martin, Lyon, and others targeted police harassment."

In 1959 at Cooper's donuts, a hangout for drag queens, transgendered people, and street hustlers, a riot broke out when customers were harassed by LA Police. It was a small upheaval, but a foreshadowing of things to come.
In 1964, a gay group picketed the Whitehall Street Induction Center after the confidentiality of gay men's draft records was violated.

In 1965 gay activists picketed the White House on April 17 and the United Nations on the 18th after learning that Cuba was placing homosexuals in forced labor camps.

Mattachine's picketing tactic led to the joint effort, with Daughters of Bilitis and Mattachine of New York, on July 4, 1965 picketing at Philadelphia's Independence Hall. That picket became the Annual Reminder that would be repeated through 1969 and was suspended in 1970 to support the first Christopher Street Liberation Day.

April 25th, 1965, 150 people participated in a sit-in after the manager of Dewey's restaurant refused service to several people he thought looked gay.

August 1966, Gay customers rioted at Compton's Cafeteria in response to continued police harassment.

January 1, 1967, The LAPD raided the New Year's Eve parties at two gay bars, the Black Cat Tavern and New Faces. Several patrons were injured and a bartender was hospitalized with a fractured skull. Several hundred people spontaneously demonstrated on Sunset Boulevard and picketed outside the Black Cat.

By 1969, over 50 gay rights organizations existed across the country.

There were many other actions as a direct response to mistreatment from the government, police, and business owners, leading up to a police raid that took place in the early morning hours of June 28, 1969, at the Stonewall Inn.
Pride is about remembering those who marched and got arrested, imprisoned, tortured, and had their lives destroyed leading up to and including Stonewall, as well as those who continue to risk being fired, disowned by family and friends, beaten and killed, just for being authentic human beings. We've come a long way, but Uganda and other pockets of ignorance and intolerance demonstrate we still have a long way to go.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." MLK

Since: Oct 10

San Francisco

#10 Nov 21, 2012
3OHY wrote:
Gays talk of "homophobia" as if such existed. The core human, genetic revulsion of people having no control of themselves is not a fear. Radical pedophiles and total perverts have led the homosexual demand for special rights. A perfect example is the recent passing of a San Francisco ordinance banning public nudity. Friends of homosexuals themselves are driven to imposing laws not because of fear, but because of the outrageous behaviors of homosexuals. Exhibitionists are inherently neurotic and cowardly. They have to blame others for their personal problems.
You're a liar. The ban on nudists (who were not all gay) was not a result of "friends of homosexuals"; it was in response to complaints by gay residents and businesses in this neighborhood. And it was taken to the Board of Supervisors by the district's gay supervisor, Scott Wiener.

Since you live in the Bay Area (unfortunately for the rest of us), you already know this if you've been paying any attention to the news. But like the typical closeted troll you are, you've chosen to lie. Must be your inherent neurosis and cowardliness.
NoQ

Ardsley, NY

#11 Nov 21, 2012
3OHY wrote:
Well said

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#12 Nov 21, 2012
A very good article.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Maybe god is gay! (Dec '09) 5 min June VanDerMark 11,723
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 5 min Backseat Bonnie 18,408
News Erin O'Flaherty: Miss Missouri is Miss America'... 13 min Sneaky Pete 18
The straightest cafe ever.. 52 min Left of centre 8
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 55 min Jayed 40,366
News Eastern Kentucky holds first Pride Festival 55 min Left of centre 97
The gay cafe for GLBT, friends and family (Oct '09) 1 hr Left of centre 68,993
So whips the forum sniveler?.. 1 hr Left of centre 10
More from around the web